Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2008, 05:06 PM)
People love the whole diva thing.

By 'people' I'm guessing you mean 'morons who have nothing to live for except Hello! magazine'.
melzilla
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2008, 04:50 PM)
I have no idea. Once started rumours do tend to snowball. The riders are most likely made up, or not written by her. 'Entourages' frequently make demands on behalf of their clients, that aren't specifically requested. I have first hand experience of this at work, where the talent's 'people' will make over the top demands in advance, and be very rude, but the performers themselves are a delight, easy going and undemanding.

Who knows why she has this reputation. Katie only mentioned how nice she was, because that sort of behaviour is unusual in an industry full of diva strops, where subordinates are uniformly treated like shit.

I'm sure she's not bothered by it, by the sounds of it she's too busy to care, and she can always cry herself to sleep at night on her bed made of money.

I only brought it up because I find it interesting how the infamous can defy expectations, and as an example of how the media often creates its own monsters.

You take your money, you make your choices. I often think la Beckham seems very funny, savvy and self-aware when I see her actually talking, but I certainly don't feel sorry for any vitriol printed about her. You invite the media into your life, its very much a two-way street, and they both get something out of it.

I'm sure Jennifer isn't naive enough to think tabloid stories have no effect on the public's interest in her, and whatever she's trying to sell them. Which is most likely why she doesn't bother trying to destroy the image of her they've created.

It's much more important to make a good impression on the people you actually meet and work with, rather than people who've never met you.

I totally agree. I'm not particularly a fan of 'J-Lo' but I do sympathise with her a little. I've heard a few stories about what a nice person she really is. I think, when you're the focus of so much media attention it can possibly be easy to slip up. If you're as busy as she is and maybe are having a bad day (as everyone does), you are overworked or tired/jetlagged or are pissed off about something or with someone, it can suddenly be plastered all over the media that you're a moody, demanding diva-bitch from hell. They're not really bothered what you're like the other 99% of the time as long as they've got a story.
On the other hand she might be a psycho-hose-beast. Who knows?
mcraigclark
Elephant. Painter. Loser.

Unbelievable.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Apr 8 2008, 01:18 AM)

I went to an Elephant reserve in Thailand and they did the same thing. Incredibly precise paint daubing and a huge money-spinner for the reserve (tourists were desperately out-bidding each other for a picture). A lot of training must have gone into it.

The YouTube comments are pretty interesting, turning the whole thing into a discussion that elephants painting is proof of the existence of God... huh.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 8 2008, 11:27 AM)
The YouTube comments are pretty interesting, turning the whole thing into a discussion that elephants painting is proof of the existence of God... huh.gif

I though the Babel fish did that? wink.gif
Raven
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 8 2008, 02:54 PM)

Didn't he direct Madonna in Body of Evidence?
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 8 2008, 03:24 PM)
Didn't he direct Madonna in Body of Evidence?

No, that was Uli Edel. Uwe Boll is the director of many not very good videogame adaptations.
curtinparloe
It's almost 130,000 already.

EDIT: over 130,000.
NiteFall
Wasn't sure where this belonged, so I thought I'd put it here- BBC to offer iPlayer service via the Wii.
Raven
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 9 2008, 02:41 PM)
Wasn't sure where this belonged, so I thought I'd put it here- BBC to offer iPlayer service via the Wii.

Given they've never made a profit, I'm not surprised Tiscali is after cash, but I don't understand why various ISPs think the Beeb should cough up money for this. They've known this sort of player has been in the pipeline for a long time so if they don't have the capacity or are undercharging customers for the amount they are downloading, surely that's their fault?

Also, why aren't they going after Sky, C4 and ITV as well? Is it because they perceive the BBC has a large pot of cash they can grab a share of?

And what is going to happen when various film companies start streaming films on demand? Do they expect Paramount et al to fund them then? I don't see that happening, so why should the Beeb be expected to pay?
logger
I couldn't find a Watchmen thread so I stuck this here.

The First Watchmen Video Journal!
rabbit57i
4,000 LP Records Donated To Oxfam
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2008, 03:13 PM)
To be fair J-Lo is a lot more famous than Kelly, and public interest in her is substancially higher.

My cousin has worked with Jennifer, and apparently she's lovely, polite and professional.

I suspect 90% of stories about her are bollocks. After all she was engaged to Affleck, and he's hilarious.

On reflection, you are right. Images are pretty much surface. I could have picked a better example because I remember your cousin saying about how courteous Ms Lopez was to her and that it stood out in the industry. I don't care much for children being shown in magazines but it is probably a case of controlling access and getting pictures out before the paparazzi try to catch one unawares. Kelly can afford a bit more down-to-earth approach. She ain't as famous. I'm sure the PR people are the barracudas in most instances.

Sorry, Jen.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 8 2008, 02:54 PM)

Boll's response to the petition.

Hilarious.

I'm the only genius in the whole fucking business. Good bye.
rabbit57i
Why We Need Uwe Boll
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Apr 10 2008, 04:34 AM)

That is just further proof of what a genius Sasha Baron Cohen is. That’s his best character yet! - Eli (pronounced "Ellie") Roth laugh.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
Milo Ventimiglia Creating Rest

Interesting...why they don't just create a show to begin with is bit baffling, but the story sound as if it might be good.
Starscream`s Ghost
Blake's 7 poised for Sky comeback

We'll see.
Raven
Being Human Has Been Commissioned.

I missed this myself, but if they repeat it before showing a new series I'll try to give it a go!
Zoe
Wah-hey!

I wrote that before reading the article and seeing the author had the same exact reaction.

Wah-hey indeed.

I hope they can keep up the standards they set in the excellent pilot.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 21 2008, 12:49 AM)
'Being Human' was good wasn't it? More deserving of a series than 'Phoo Action', purely based on the pilots. The vampire club is interesting, George is a great character and how long Annie is going to stick around for, and why, is intriguing. Then again, perhaps it would exhaust its ideas fairly quickly, but I'd hope the BBC would give it a chance. A touch of the Buffys, minus the monster of the week, which I rather like.

It had good performances across the board and dialogue that didn't feel clunky or forced (a real rarity on TV these days). Some chuckles, some decent special effects, a montage - there's little more I want from telly.

Plus Guy Flanagan is like David Tennant meets Orlando Bloom, with a touch of someone else I can't place*. He sounds just like Mr. Bloom, I keep expecting him to say "this forest is old, very old".

He's so tall and dark and skinny.

I'd recommend looking it up on the iPlayer if you missed it. I just hope that 'Phoo Action' being commissioned doesn't mean the other five don't get a chance.

* EDIT: It's Callum Blue, from 'Dead Like Me'
logger
Good news, real ladies. Cartoon babe would actually look deformed in real life.

Although...
Sostie
Seen in Forbidden Planet today

Big Lebowski Action Figures.

Flash Gordon Action Figures. But no Blessed.
Jubei
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 25 2008, 01:43 PM)

Flash Gordon Action Figures.  But no Blessed.

You even get a fucking pomeranian with Walter. Cool.
rabbit57i
Erratic Peter Falk on Streets of Beverly Hills

Omniscia
That rug really ties the packaging together.
Jubei
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Apr 25 2008, 03:50 PM)

It really does as well, very clever of them.
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 25 2008, 01:43 PM)

QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 25 2008, 01:50 PM)
You even get a fucking pomeranian with Walter.  Cool.

The Walter is excellent. The Dude, less so. Still good though.

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Apr 25 2008, 03:50 PM)

biggrin.gif Well spotted.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 24 2008, 05:38 PM)
Good news, real ladies. Cartoon babe would actually look deformed in real life.

Although...

Hey, that's what I look like when I wake up in the morning.

That's a lie.

I wake up in the afternoon.

fnar
Starscream`s Ghost
Lindelof calls 'Lost' fans "toxic"

Whaddaprick.
Ade
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 28 2008, 12:37 PM)

He does have a point though.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 28 2008, 03:21 PM)
He does have a point though.

Maybe, but shouting 'But I wrote it - it's brilliant and anyone who doesn't like it is a narna' isn't going to endear him any, is it?
Ade
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 28 2008, 03:23 PM)
Maybe, but shouting 'But I wrote it - it's brilliant and anyone who doesn't like it is a narna' isn't going to endear him any, is it?

It might.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 28 2008, 03:23 PM)
It might.

How so?
Zoe
Not pandering to one's audience can be a very attractive quality.

You're top of the list of complainers when you think RTD is doing it.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 28 2008, 03:29 PM)
Not pandering to one's audience can be a very attractive quality.

There's pandering, and then there's calling your fan base 'toxic' and sounding like a whiny bitch.

Whatever my problems with RTD, he's never complained about the older fans not liking it.
Zoe
He never complains about anything.

The big jolly wally.

As to the 'toxic' remark, it seems to be taken a little out of context. I took it to mean that reading fans' reactions to episodes on the forums would be toxic to the writing process, in that you'd start second guessing yourself, or trying to please everyone. Not that the fans themselves are toxic.
Starscream`s Ghost
Having not been on the LOST boards, I can't comment on their content, but OG and a lot of the Transformers boards I've been around can get flamealicious.

Like I say, I'm not saying the fans can't be reactionary naysayers, but stating that the show doesn't get the credit 'it deserves' isn't going to get anyone on side. Far better to do what someone like RTD does, and just get on with the business of making the show.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 28 2008, 03:47 PM)
Like I say, I'm not saying the fans can't be reactionary naysayers, but stating that the show doesn't get the credit 'it deserves' isn't going to get anyone on side.

Well, if you look at the full interview you'll see that nowhere do they say that Lost doesn't get the credit it deserves. This is the relevant section, which seems pretty reasonable to me:

we find that the boards can be really toxic. Nobody goes on the boards to say: "Wow! That was awesome!" Traditionally, they go on the boards to nitpick and say, "Oh, I don't understand how Michael could have gotten off the island, gotten back to New York, parked Walt, then got indoctrinated by Friendly all in a month." Well, I don't understand how [on 24] there was a coup in the Oval Office, Jack's daughter got abducted, and there was a nuclear attack in Van Nuys, and it's not even lunchtime yet. But it's television. The reality of it is, if you go on the boards and people are saying, "I saw that coming," or "This is lame," or "I can't believe they're doing this again…" Having been one of those people myself, I know better, and try to avoid it. [Laughs.]

But there is a groundswell of what we hear about the show. When we were in season three after the break last year, it was a much different vibe than it is right now, in terms of how the audience responded to those episodes. If people are loving the show, Carlton and I will be walking around on the Disney lot, and some guy will literally pull over in his little fire-marshal truck and go, "I'm loving the show this year! What's the monster?" That won't happen if people aren't digging the show. So we do get a sense of what the fans are thinking and feeling. And what the critics are saying, because it's in the paper. The day after a really good episode airs, we'll get a lot of e-mails from people we know. After the "The Constant" aired, I don't think Carlton and I had ever gotten more e-mails. You just get a sense of, "Wow, that episode really landed with the fans."
rabbit57i
Physics of the Impossible

Can you really have the protective force fields that Captain Kirk invokes in Star Trek? What about Michael J. Fox's 'hover board' from Back to the Future or Harry Potter's cloak of invisibility? When will we be able to zap our enemies with ray guns or light sabres in our own real Star Wars, or blast whole planets with the Death Star laser cannon? And please, when can I be beamed up by Scotty?

Dan Dare & the Birth of High-Tech at the Science Museum
Starscream`s Ghost
Fair enough then, mea culpa.

I still think he sounds a bit whiny though. If he doesn't like fan reaction, don't look at the boards.
Zoe
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 28 2008, 03:47 PM)
Far better to do what someone like RTD does, and just get on with the business of making the show.

Isn't that what he's doing, by saying he avoids them? He's only answering the interviewer's question, about the fan boards, after all.

I always find it amazing that any creative types would read their own show's forums. It can't be good for one's psyche. The image I have in my head is of Adam Buxton, hunched over the Adam and Joe forums with a glass of wine, reading fans' negative reactions to a pilot they'd made.

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 28 2008, 03:55 PM)
I still think he sounds a bit whiny though. If he doesn't like fan reaction, don't look at the boards.

He does seem to know rather a lot about them, for someone trying to avoid them.

It must be very tempting sometimes. I bet everyone has a peek occasionally, and then runs off with their ego's massaged or their tail between their legs. Or possibly terrified.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 28 2008, 03:58 PM)
The image I have in my head is of Adam Buxton, hunched over the Adam and Joe forums with a glass of wine, reading fans' negative reactions to a pilot they'd made.

I found that heartbreaking, as the pilot wasn't even that bad. But yes, I don't understand why anyone would read their own fan board.
PrincessKate
Our babies will be funny and beautiful...

Aw, congrats.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 28 2008, 03:33 PM)
Whatever my problems with RTD, he's never complained about the older fans not liking it.

Yes he has!

He frequently makes references in interviews to how "fans" - young and old - don't like the show, they even call them "Ming-Mongs" on set!
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 29 2008, 11:27 AM)
He frequently makes references in interviews to how "fans" - young and old - don't like the show, they even call them "Ming-Mongs" on set!

Can't say I've ever seen it. Oh well.
Zoe
I can't say I've ever heard that phrase before, but urban dictionary's definition did make me laugh.

ming mong

1. Hard core fans of something, usually a TV show or movie, who are resistant to change or modernization.

2. Obsessive fans (of a TV show of movie) who criticize and complain about all aspects of the production.

Joe is a ming mong because he posts on message boards about RTD's gay agenda.
Raven
I only heard it recently, I think it was mentioned in Mark Lawson's BBC4 interview with Russell Davis, not sure.

Who fandom seem to have picked it up as a phrase though, and I've seen it several other places recently (Outpost Gallifrey, the SFX forum etc).
Starscream`s Ghost
26 Gorgeous Models Wearing SLAVE LEIA Bikinis

But...why?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.