Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 5 2008, 11:41 PM)
I saw it, any entertainment value was utterly ruined by Ant's faux ignorance.

His "who is this guy?" face, was the most annoying thing I'd ever seen- until he did his "ahhhhh, that's what's going on" face.

We could have seen a lot more of the act if they didn't spend so much time filming the Geordie Goblins reactions.
princess_shrek
The last of the great Whales?
Starscream`s Ghost
Can't he just fuck off altogether?

Vile man.
princess_shrek
He once tried to persuade me to have a piercing live on air. I refused.
Starscream`s Ghost
I'd have pierced his head with a jackhammer.
Raven
SCI FI Wire is reporting that the Weinstein Company is bringing back Fraggle Rock in a live-action musical movie. It’ll be co-produced with the Henson Company and feature the original quintet of Fraggles (Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober and Red) venturing out into the real world.

(pilfered from SFX's web site).
Jessopjessopjessop
New show on NBC... And another comedy remake!

Kath and Kim
(Comedy, Tuesdays 9:30pm - Fall)
They're the most dysfunctional duo in suburbia. Kath Day (Molly Shannon) is the mom, a foxy, 40-something divorce who finally has time for herself and her valiant search for love. Kim Day (Selma Blair) is the daughter, a self-absorbed princess recently separated from her husband who finds consolation in stuffing her face.

When Kim decides to move back home, Kath reluctantly agrees -- but to Kim's chagrin, Kath is not about to cater to her every whim as she has in the past. Based on the most successful comedy in Australia of the same name, Kath and Kim are two brassy women who prefer the finer things in life like acrylic nails, big hair and faux diamond chips. Michelle Nader ("The King of Queens") and Paul Feig ("Freaks and Geeks," "The Office") along with original show creators Gina Riley and Jane Turner are executive producers.

I don't see how it can work as well. Kath & Kim was all about closely observed people which the actors inhabited. You can't copy that.
GundamGuy_UK
STOP THE PRESS!

What's this?! Is ReBoot coming back?!

Intro, for those of you who didn't watch this awesome 90's CGI cartoon.
maian
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 21 2008, 08:24 PM)
STOP THE PRESS!

I remember watching the last episode of that and being hugely disappointed that there wouldn't be more. That could be quite interesting.

Also, your link led me to this. So many cartoons that I used to watch.

Edit: Pirates of Dark Water! I've had parts of that show tumbling around in my brain for years and I couldn't remember its name.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (maian @ May 21 2008, 08:38 PM)
I remember watching the last episode of that and being hugely disappointed that there wouldn't be more. That could be quite interesting.

Also, your link led me to this. So many cartoons that I used to watch.

Edit: Pirates of Dark Water! I've had parts of that show tumbling around in my brain for years and I couldn't remember its name.

You have no idea how many hours I've spent on YouTube watching cartoon openings...
maian
That compilation is basically my childhood in 30 minutes; only one of those cartoons is one that I didn't watch as a kid.

Of them, I'd say that Batman Beyond and Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century are the most obviously late-90s, and Samurai Pizza Cats is probably the least sensical. Even the name doesn't really make any sense.

I have to say, I much preferred the second incarnation of Sonic to the others. Particularly the whole thing with his uncle being trapped in a robot body.
GundamGuy_UK
If it had Knightmare, Aquila, Finders Keepers, Fun House etc on, then I'd agree with you.
maian
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 21 2008, 09:05 PM)
If it had Knightmare, Aquila, Finders Keepers, Fun House etc on, then I'd agree with you.

Oh, I watched them as well, I just don't remember their titles sequences all that well. I used to love Aquila.
logger
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 21 2008, 08:24 PM)
STOP THE PRESS!

I have every episode on my computer but haven't watched them yet. The first series seemed a lot more of a kids show than I remembered, I guess it only became more adult as the show progressed.
Jon 79
QUOTE (logger @ May 21 2008, 10:11 PM)
I have every episode on my computer but haven't watched them yet. The first series seemed a lot more of a kids show than I remembered, I guess it only became more adult as the show progressed.

I remember only watching the 1st 2 or 3 episodes.... I think it was aimed at a younger audience.
logger
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ May 21 2008, 10:19 PM)
I remember  only watching the 1st 2 or 3 episodes.... I think it was aimed at a younger audience.

I seem to remember it also being aimed at an older audience, with stuff going over the kiddies heads and references to things like Fargo, Evil Dead and The Prisoner.
GundamGuy_UK
No-one knows for sure, but I intend to find out...

(Come on, someone had to say it)
Jon 79
QUOTE (logger @ May 21 2008, 10:23 PM)
I seem to remember it also being aimed at an older audience, with stuff going over the kiddies heads and references to things like Fargo, Evil Dead and The Prisoner.

Really?? Are we still talking about reboot?... I guess I missed out there then. I also didn't like it cos they had blue/green faces & I thought it looked like it was copying Ulysses 31.
Sostie
Nostalgia really does act as a crapness filter sometimes doesn't it?

Yes, I know I'm as guilty as everyone else.
Raven
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 21 2008, 10:33 PM)
No-one knows for sure, but I intend to find out...

(Come on, someone had to say it)

No, not really!

I used to watch Re-boot when I got home from work, but I missed the last few. It was a referencing version of Tron, for a new generation.

I'm sure I read something about this recently, possibly on the SFX web site, but I can't find the article now (I'll post a link if I do).
GundamGuy_UK
Well we'll know in 8 days anyway.
Jubei
I watched Reboot and never got any clever references except to Tron, and Tron wasn't so much a reference as a template. I guess I was one of those kids whose head's it went over.
Jubei
Edit: Stupid Internet.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Ade @ May 5 2008, 10:37 PM)
The Holden were reet - that were bloody brilliant.

It was brilliant but Holden needs to lay off the botox.

We can't watch Rosellini's films in the UK. Shame cos I like the fact she is a bit mental. Hence she was great in 30 Rock.
dandan
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 21 2008, 11:11 PM)
Nostalgia really does act as a crapness filter sometimes doesn't it?

yes. yes it does.
Starscream`s Ghost
Tacky, tacky, tacky...
Sostie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 23 2008, 03:06 PM)

And in the same year as the Anne Frank musical. Musical theatre fans are really getting an education this year.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 23 2008, 03:06 PM)

I wonder if Simple Minds' 'Mandela Day' will be in the show.
thirtyhelens
Every passing year, that Elephant Man musical in "The Tall Guy" seems less and less ridiculous...
curtinparloe
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ May 23 2008, 08:12 PM)
Every passing year, that Elephant Man musical in "The Tall Guy" seems less and less ridiculous...

...and it is surely a matter of time before Springtime For Hitler for real.
Zoe
Times Top 100 Films

'There Will be Blood' at number two.

Wow.

The comments thread makes for interesting reading

It's a bold choice and I applaud him for it. I'm not sure I've digested the film enough, even a few months later, to know where it sits in the cinematic canon, but I do know it's extraordinary.
mousespider
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 26 2008, 10:02 AM)
Times Top 100 Films

'There Will be Blood' at number two.

Wow.

ET at number three? Really? huh.gif
Omniscia
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 26 2008, 10:02 AM)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at #9? Seriously?
Zoe
It is an unusual rundown, but that's what makes it interesting. In their own words...

QUOTE (James Christopher @ The Times)
You may be suffering from list exhaustion. There are so many about, and especially on film. But this one is different. Yes, of course we’d say that. But having read endless Top 100 film lists, we felt short-changed. Sure, they’re definitive in their way, but they don’t have many surprises. This one aims to be all-encompassing, certainly, and authoritative. But it is also intended to cause debate and maybe consternation.

None of us — myself, my fellow critics at The Times and my editor Tim Teeman — realised how contentious this list would be to compile. We didn’t want simply to rearrange the furniture as other lists do. Nor to kow-tow to monolithic critical masterpieces routinely crowned year on year.

There are some spectacular casualties. Citizen Kane (1941) failed to cut the mustard. The genius of Orson Welles was not to be denied. But it was felt that his sour and seedy thriller Touch of Evil (1958) was not only equally audacious in terms of pure film-making, but also had greater resonance than Kane.

Some omissions are too painful to talk about: Groundhog Day, The Servant, The Lives of Others, Psycho, The English Patient. (All my choices naturally.) Tastes vary dramatically, and you would be amazed how few critics will fall on their swords when it comes to such a fraught subject. That said, the list looks far fresher and younger than any of us dared hope. The number of recent releases vying for places near the summit is a surprise. I shall be horrified if anyone agrees with every one of our choices. The point of The Times Top 100 Films of All Time is to stimulate argument, and sharpen your own thoughts about the ingredients that make great movies.

The comments threads after each section make for interesting reading.
Raven
I don't think I've ever seen The Towering Inferno in a top 100 film list before.

There's probably a good reason for that . . .
Kick in the Head
And the other point of lists is to say how many you've seen...

My count? A paltry 45. So many classics I just haven't got round to seeing, but that's as good a list as any to work from.
maian
78 for me. Good to see The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp recognised, as well Cabaret, a film which I think is hugely under-rated as a portrayal of the Nazi rise to power. I'd personally put A Clockwork Orange above The Shining but can't say I'd fault the placings they received.

It's certainly brave putting There Will Be Blood so high and I'm not sure if I'd totally agree with it yet, though that may change once I rewatch it.
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 26 2008, 03:02 PM)

For ease of reference, here's the 100 in list form:

100 - Jurassic Park

99 - La Belle et la Bete

98 - My Fair Lady

97 - Point Break

96 - Lost in Translation

95 - Grand Hotel

94 - La Haine

93 - Cool Hand Luke

92 - A bout de soffle

91 - Short Cuts

90 - Trainspotting

89 - A Touch of Evil

88 - Wild Strawberries

87 - Silence of the Lambs

86 - Nosferatu

85 - Dog Day Afternoon

84 - Festen

83 - Spartacus

82 - Chungking Express

81 - North by Northwest

80 - Tokyo Story

79 - Deliverance

78 - The Lady Eve

77 - Pather Panchali

76 - From Here To Eternity

75 - The Good, The Bad the Ugly

74 - Rosemary’s Baby

73 - Great Expectations

72 - Days of Heaven

71 - This Is Spinal Tap

70 - The Conversation

69 - Hidden (Cache)

68 - The Maltese Falcon

67 - The Piano

66 - Toy Story

65 - The Thin Blue Line

64 - Do The Right Thing

63 - On The Waterfront

62 - Taxi Driver

61 - Rashomon

60 - The Crying Game

59 - Pulp Fiction

58 - Dr Zhivago

57 - Raging Bull

56 - Whisky Galore

55 - The Matrix

54 - Roman Holiday

53 - Mildred Pierce

52 - La Dolce Vita

51 - Cabaret

50 - Blade Runner

49 - High Society

48 - Shoah

47 - Fargo

46 - All About Eve

45 - The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

44 - A Streetcar Named Desire

43 - Terminator 2: Judgement Day

42 - Blue Velvet

41 - A Star Is Born

40 - The Life of Brian

39 - The Graduate

38 - Rear Window

37 - Beau Travail

36 - Jaws

35 - Withnail and I

34 - The Man Who Shot Libert Valance

33 - One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

32 - The Empire Strikes Back

31 - His Girl Friday

30 - Rebel Without a Cause

29 - Duck Soup

28 - Gone With The Wind

27 - A Clockwork Orange

26 - Goodfellas

25 - Picnic at Hanging Rock

24 - The Philadelphia Story

23 - Some Like It Hot

22 - The Breakfast Club

21 - The Towering Inferno

20 - The Wizard of Oz

19 - The Exorcist

18 - Don’t Look Now

17 - Annie Hall

16 - Metropolis

15 - Apocalypse Now

14 - Jungle Book

13 - 2001

12 - Alien

11 - The Sound of Music

10 - The Godfather

9 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

8 - Sunset Boulevard

7 - Kes

6 - Vertigo

5 - The Shining

4 - Chinatown

3 - ET

2 - There Will Be Blood

1 - Casablanca
Jubei
A potentially embarrasing 39 for me there.
Sostie
85, but I can't remember much about a lot of those. I think there is only 1, possibly 2, (North By Northwest, maybe Jaws or Life & Death Of Colenel Blimp) that would make my personal Top 10, and a lot that wouldn't make my Top 100.
Starscream`s Ghost
Some of the choices on that list are mystifying.

Point Break? Really?
Sostie
Towering Inferno?

Wild Strawberries? I fall asleep just reading the titles of Bergman films. (actually it may well be a good film and deserve a place, I just find a lot of his stuff dull)
logger
I done saw 80 of them there films. Maybe a few more that I may have seen and don't remember.

There Will Be Blood is only my #3 film of 2008*. Screw you The Times.

*Although I've only seen my top 3 films once so that could change.
dandan
it's a crappy list, which is, i'm quite sure, meant to inspire people to say 'this is a crappy list, whats abouts them films whats yous read, why isn't the shitshank there, your taste sucks, i'm the best and fuck all y'all...'

personally, the most amusing thing about it was their spelling / factual errors and the stream of people wanting to point them out.
Sostie
QUOTE (Jeff @ San Diego, United States)
No, you didn't get it right - the AFI's list is still the definitive top 100 list of all time.

Except it is made up of American films only!
maian
I love Wild Strawberries. As does Woody Allen, who's made at least two films I can think of that have either homaged it (Crimes and Misdemeanors) or almost largely copied it (Deconstructing Harry)
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ May 28 2008, 10:43 PM)
I love Wild Strawberries. As does Woody Allen, who's made at least two films I can think of that have either homaged it (Crimes and Misdemeanors) or almost largely copied it (Deconstructing Harry)

Oh I'm well aware of the Allen/Bergman connection/adulation. However, unlike Allen, Bergamn has on a few occaisions bored me silly.
maian
Fair enough. I've found all his films (that I have watched) engaging, intriguing and, on occasions, genuinely profound and moving, but different strokes and all that.
mcraigclark
I've seen 72 of those films, and I agree that not many would make my top 100. I've never seen Wild Strawberries, but I like Bergman so I'll Netflix it soon.
thirtyhelens
78 seen. Not bad.

It's an oddly ranked list, to be sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.