Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
Rua
QUOTE (Drifter @ Jul 18 2008, 11:50 AM)
Megatron - Transformers

Live action?
Animated, yes. No, no, no to live action.
Raven
I know there are some Monk fans here, so . . .

Monk star Tony Shalhoub jokes with a cake knife as he celebrates the 100th episode of the US detective comedy with cast and crew in Los Angeles. The actor received his sixth Emmy nomination on Thursday.

QUOTE (Drifter @ Jul 18 2008, 11:50 AM)
The Top Movie Supervillans according to 2 blokes at Yahoo

In no particular order:

The One Ring - LOTR

How can a ring be a villian?!

Gollum? Yes.
Sauron? Yes.
Saruman? Yes.
The One Ring? No.
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 18 2008, 12:55 PM)
How can a ring be a villian?! 

Gollum? Yes. 
Sauron? Yes. 
Saruman? Yes. 
The One Ring?  No.

It's the malevolent force that drives the film along, though, isn't it? It prevents Isildor from dropping it into the fires of Mount Doom, abandons him when he is attacked, drives Smeagol to murder and madness, nearly does the same to Frodo, and is generally responsible for all the death and destruction in the films. I'd say it qualifies as a villain.
Raven
I understand what you are saying, but the ring doesn't have free will of its own, it's an object that has been imbued with the essence of its creator - there is part of Sauron's will in the ring and that is what poisons everything around it.

I've always viewed the ring as being an extension or part of Sauron.
logger
Beaker gets his own Youtube channel
Raven
QUOTE (logger @ Jul 21 2008, 02:49 PM)

Brilliant!
Peronel
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 18 2008, 11:13 PM)
I've always viewed the ring as being an extension or part of Sauron.

I agree. It would be like labelling 'evil' as one of the best movie villains.
Omniscia
Or the Death Star.
Drifter
There were a number of very good villains missing like:

Hannibal Lector
Norman Bates
Michael Corleone
Nurse Ratched
HAL 9000
Travis Bickle
logger
They're not super villains.
Drifter
Oh yes they are...
Raven
QUOTE (Drifter @ Jul 22 2008, 05:24 PM)
There were a number of very good villains missing like:

Hannibal Lector
Norman Bates
Michael Corleone
Nurse Ratched
HAL 9000
Travis Bickle

QUOTE (logger @ Jul 22 2008, 05:57 PM)
They're not super villains.

I'd have to agree, but on the flip side, there are some who did make the list that I wouldn't class as being super-villians either (and I'm not thinking of The One Ring!).
maian
I also wouldn't count Travis Bickle as a villain. He's an anti-hero, if anything.
Raven
I can't say I look on HAL as being a villian either, he's just a broken computer!
Sostie
They obviously haven't seen Night Of The Hunter or Die Hard.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (logger @ Jul 10 2008, 03:40 PM)
Empire's 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters I hadn't heard of half of them but comics are for kids anyway.

I only just found this, how is Green Lantern one of the fifty greatest comic book characters of all time? How?

There are some very 90's cretin-comic choices in there as well.
melzilla
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 23 2008, 02:07 PM)
I also wouldn't count Travis Bickle as a villain. He's an anti-hero, if anything.

Exactly what I was thinking.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 18 2008, 01:27 PM)
It's the malevolent force that drives the film along, though, isn't it? It prevents Isildor from dropping it into the fires of Mount Doom, abandons him when he is attacked, drives Smeagol to murder and madness, nearly does the same to Frodo, and is generally responsible for all the death and destruction in the films. I'd say it qualifies as a villain.

If this is the case then the bomb under the bus in Speed is also a villain.
maian
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jul 23 2008, 05:09 PM)
If this is the case then the bomb under the bus in Speed is also a villain.

No, it's not. The bomb is a plot device that sets things in motion, the Ring is an active player in events that bends them to its whims. It is as much a character as Gollum, more so than Sauron and less so than Saruman.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 23 2008, 02:19 PM)
They obviously haven't seen Night Of The Hunter or Die Hard.

They've not seen Lord of the Rings either, if they think the Ring is a villain.
Ade
How can a ring be a villain? That's just stupidityness.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 16 2008, 08:17 PM)
I'm always surprised by the popularity of Superman, I understand the basic appeal of the character, and the ideals he is supposed to represent, but for someone with only one real weakness there's not a hullva a lot you can do with him.  I prefer Batman and the vast array of imaginative characters aligned against him.

I hate Superman, he's rubbish.

He lacks a nemesis who's anywhere near his equal. It never seems feasable that the enemy might win, all battles come down to "here's some new version of Kryptonite for Superman to sweat over for a few panels until he punches the Sun in half or something equally stupid".
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 24 2008, 01:08 AM)
He lacks a nemesis who's anywhere near his equal. It never seems feasable that the enemy might win, all battles come down to "here's some new version of Kryptonite for Superman to sweat over for a few panels until he punches the Sun in half or something equally stupid".

Yeah, because that Doomsday, he's a pussy.

tongue.gif
Omniscia
You've got to admit, his name does sound like overcompensation.
Rebus
Nah, I like my superheroes human, fallible, cynical and bitter. Superman was brought up by a loving couple of barnyarders eating wholesome American pie, there isnít even much evidence heís a good journalist.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jul 24 2008, 01:12 AM)
Yeah, because that Doomsday, he's a pussy.

tongue.gif

He's only 1 character though. Other than the fight to the death with Superman (both of whom survived it, so it's hardly a mutual fight to the death), nobody can do anything to him without pulling the old Kryptonite card.

Superman and Batman Vs Aliens and Predator is the only good story I've read of him, and most of that's down to how cool it is to see Batman fight Aliens. Superman just spoils things when he turns up by ending it all.
Jubei
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 24 2008, 01:08 AM)
I hate Superman, he's rubbish.

He lacks a nemesis who's anywhere near his equal.

His weakness is how entirely good he is, and as such he is taken advantage of by the baddies. You could say his conscience is his biggest enemy, otherwise he'd just smash holes in the heads of all his enemies. I mean if he wasn't such a nice guy, in a couple of minutes he could locate them all, kill them all and then be back home.

That's not to say he isn't a cock.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jul 24 2008, 02:08 PM)
That's not to say he isn't a cock.

That reminds me, I have posted this before but not for nearly 2 years so people might have missed it.

Superman is a dick. Some of them are hilarious.

Sir_Robin_the_brave
This is my favourite:

Rua
I. Love. This.

Hobbes
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 24 2008, 12:08 AM)

This is entirely the problem, but it entirely depends on how it's handled by the comic writer/film director/graphic novelist. In Return of the Dark Knight for example he's shown as fallible and is almost defeated on several occasions. Similarly in Bryan Singer's recent movie he is cleverly outwitted by Lex Luthor and the scene on the island where Luthor's pathetic goons are kicking Superman to near-death i found absolutely heartbreaking. The fact is that you never expect Superman to get beaten so when an idea comes along to defeat or destroy him it makes the emotional impact much more severe.

However, I agree that most of the time Superman is boring because he can do anything. I think a lot of Marvel's characters are better than Superman, as they create more emotional depth and have more interesting battles and powers. Being able to do everything is just a bit dull.
GundamGuy_UK
Exactly. And that's just why I don't read many of the comics/watch the movies, so forgive me anyone if you feel my statements are inaccurate, because I've not really read a whole bunch of the material.

Because it's shite.
Raven
I think the reason why Superman II - and various episodes of Smallville - work so well is because when Clark is pitted against someone from Krypton, there is a real threat to him - they have the same powers he does and they can give him a good kicking.

Against pretty much everyone else, they have to roll out the kryptonite and that get's old very fast.

I like Superman though because I like the idea of a hero that isn't corruptible, and who can inspire others to better things. The lack of a tormented side or shady side may make him less realistic, but surely the idea of a superhero, which is possibly the ultimate form of escapism, isnít just about someone who can fly, but about someone who is better or more perfect than we are?

I know its not perfect from a story telling point of view, as it does leave writers limited with what they can do (which is why Clark has ended up being possessed or on red kryptonite so often in Smallville), but at the same time I think there is a place for a hero that is a bit better than the rest of them.

ETA:

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 24 2008, 04:59 PM)
Exactly. And that's just why I don't read many of the comics/watch the movies, so forgive me anyone if you feel my statements are inaccurate, because I've not really read a whole bunch of the material.

Because it's shite.

If you've not read it, how do you know it is shite?!
GundamGuy_UK
It was meant in a jokey way.

Those are all good points, Raven. I'm not sure Superman deserves the No.1 spot, but he's still deserving of recognition. It's a good job other comic characters aren't like him, but I suppose having one of him is good.
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 24 2008, 05:17 PM)
I like Superman though because I like the idea of a hero that isn't corruptible, and who can inspire others to better things.  The lack of a tormented side or shady side may make him less realistic, but surely the idea of a superhero, which is possibly the ultimate form of escapism, isnít just about someone who can fly, but about someone who is better or more perfect than we are?

This more or less gets down to what I like about the character. My favourite Superman story is A Superman For All Seasons by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale and it deals with precisely this idea of Superman and the way in which other people view him. I also think that he's an incredibly limited character and that even the best writers struggle to get something interesting from him, but I can't help but love the big guy.

It's also worth noting that Superman makes more sense whenever he teams up with/fights Batman, as it allows for an interesting dichotomy and conflict between two distinctly different ideas of heroism.
dandan
i don't really like superman, at all, but i do like the concept of an incorruptible, almost infallible hero, who struggles with not being able to do enough, with his powers, and finding himself challenged by his own personal attachments to humans and allowing them to get in the way of his heroic activities...
Hobbes
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 24 2008, 04:22 PM)
I'm not sure Superman deserves the No.1 spot, but he's still deserving of recognition. It's a good job other comic characters aren't like him, but I suppose having one of him is good.

I think he is deserving to be honest, not because he's the most original or entertaining, but because of what he has done for the comics industry. The 'S' symbol is the most recognisable logo in all of comics, even more so than Batman's bat, and ask most people to name a comic character and Superman will be the answer that you receive. Also, Superman was the first comic book character to really take over multiple mediums and start trends: movie adaptations, TV cartoons, action figures, t-shirts and annuals to name a scant few of 'his' empires.

The Big Blue Boy Scout may not have the best comic book series (which I reckon is the X-Men series) or be the most entertaining character, but in terms of importance he really is leaps and bounds ahead of almost everyone. Batman and Spider-Man have started to maybe get close because of their recent film success, but they're still way behind. To be honest, I think Superman Returns is one of the best films of the last 3 or so years and arguably the best comic book film made in the last 20, X-2 and Batman Begins being the only serious challengers (I haven't seen the Dark Knight if you're about to raise that). In terms of sheer importance to comics, he is numero uno.
PrincessKate
RSC ban Sci Fi Memorabilia for Hamlet.
logger
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Jul 24 2008, 10:28 PM)

I think this is a good thing.
NiteFall
I have to say, I think one of the best Superman stories I've ever read wasn't actually in a Superman title. It was a one off story in Ennis and McCrea's quite wonderful Hitman called Of Thee I Sing and it's more about how Clark Kent has to deal with peoples expectations of him as Superman and how he can't always meet them.

If anyone is interested I can PM you a linky to it.
Raven
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Jul 24 2008, 10:28 PM)

I think that's a bit OTT myself.

For some fans this may be their only chance of actually meeting either actor in the flesh, and whilst I can understand them being annoyed with idiot fan boys (and girls) who come loaded down with their entire collection to be signed, surely a more sensible approach would be to say they will only sign one or two items each?
dandan
one for shack...

QUOTE (imdb)
Diamond To Write Tell-all Book

24 July 2008 11:45 PM, PDT

Dustin Diamond will lay bare the behind-the-scenes secrets from his years as Screech on Saved By The Bell in a new book.

The actor, 31, who played the lovable nerd on the U.S. sitcom and its spin-offs from 1989 to 2000, will expose for the first time what Diamond and his castmembers, including Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkley, got up to off set.

Behind The Bell, which Diamond will pen with the aid of a ghostwriter, will reveal "sexual escapades among cast members, drug use, and hardcore partying," reports People.com.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Jul 24 2008, 09:28 PM)

That picture reminds me of something ...

Cathy?

Someone should write "Doctor Who" on their arse and see if he'll sign it. I bet Patrick Stewart would. I nominate Lewis.
Jimmay
QUOTE (dandan @ Jul 25 2008, 03:09 PM)
one for shack...

QUOTE (imdb)
Diamond To Write Tell-all Book

24 July 2008 11:45 PM, PDT

Dustin Diamond will lay bare the behind-the-scenes secrets from his years as Screech on Saved By The Bell in a new book.

The actor, 31, who played the lovable nerd on the U.S. sitcom and its spin-offs from 1989 to 2000, will expose for the first time what Diamond and his castmembers, including Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkley, got up to off set.

Behind The Bell, which Diamond will pen with the aid of a ghostwriter, will reveal "sexual escapades among cast members, drug use, and hardcore partying," reports People.com.

Didn't he have a website a while back asking for donations to save his house as someone had shafted him out of a load of money?
dandan
yep, his dad screwed him over. he also got himself involved in a sex scandal and tried to sell the footage to make money. it didn't really work...
Serafina_Pekkala
Behind The Bell

Arf.
Atara
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 25 2008, 11:36 AM)
I think that's a bit OTT myself. 

For some fans this may be their only chance of actually meeting either actor in the flesh, and whilst I can understand them being annoyed with idiot fan boys (and girls) who come loaded down with their entire collection to be signed, surely a more sensible approach would be to say they will only sign one or two items each?

It may also be to discourage people just turning up to get things signed rather than actually going to see the play. If a person has seen Hamlet and wants something signed they can pick up a programme or have their ticket signed, it is not saying fans won't be able to meet them.
Raven
QUOTE (Atara @ Jul 25 2008, 06:42 PM)
. . . it is not saying fans won't be able to meet them.

That's not quite what I was saying. I know people will still be able to meet them, I'm not suggesting this will stop that, my point is - for some fans - they may want to get a DVD or book signed, and this may be their only chance to do that. Restricting people to programs and RSC material only is being a bit heavy-handed.
melzilla
Precisely how far away from the theatre do the rules apply? Is there an exact yardage?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.