Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
Raven
A new thread for media stories that aren't worth a thread of their own.

The name's Thomas, Thomas the Tank Engine.

They'll never top Ringo Starr!
Peronel
At least Brosnan has a somewhat likeable voice. Baldwin? I'm glad I was too old to ever be exposed to that.

EDIT: yes, I've just seen this, and remain convinced that children everywhere are now petrified of the rail system.
Omniscia
You mean Ringo isn't doing it anymore? And Baldwin was?

I guess it's been a while since I saw any of it... It was never my show, anyway, but my youngest sibling was quite fond of it.
Drifter
When I was young it was Dangermouse, Junior Kickstart, Its a Knockout (with Stu Hall) and Grange Hill
curtinparloe
Yay Dangermouse!

I suspect they used Alec Baldwin because he was in the Thomas Movie. Which was shit, by the way,
Home-Sliced06
Don't they have Harrison Ford doing Bob the Builder in the States? huh.gif

Anyway to the business of the day:
Jon Lovitz beats up Andy Dick
Jon Lovitz rules. biggrin.gif
Omniscia
If they did, it's an appropriate match, since Harrison actually was a builder, for a time. What does Pierce Brosnan know about train conducting?
maian
He knows that if you park a tank in front of a train it will be derailed.
Raven
Coogan to play Eddie 'The Eagle'.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Home-Sliced06 @ Jul 21 2007, 06:17 PM)
Anyway to the business of the day:
Jon Lovitz beats up Andy Dick
Jon Lovitz rules.  biggrin.gif

Wow, Andy Dick is a real...dick. I imagine Lovitz will be getting a lot of drinks bought for him.
Omniscia
I don't give a damn about celebrity gossip, usually, but this bit caught my eye:

Both Lindsay Lohan's parents are responsible for her bad behavior, according to the actress's long-term bodyguard Tony Almeida.

So that's why he left 24!

(Never mind that the dates don't line up accordingly, but still...)
Raven
Billie set to become Call Girl.
m0r1arty
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 27 2007, 09:31 PM)

You not seen the ad for it yet?

I think there is a shot when she is riding the guy holding the camera.

Looks, erm, nice.

-m0r
Ade
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 28 2007, 03:23 PM)

Aye, heard that on t'radio first thing this morning - hope he's okay.
Raven
Hugo Award Winners 2007.

Nice to see Dave Langford get a gong!
Ingram
They have awards for the best novella, the best novelette and the best short-story. I don't know exactly why but that seems very strange to me: is there really that much competition that such an arbitrary distinction needs to be made, and three times over?
curtinparloe
It's old now, but a comment by The Kermodester prompted me to look into the enigma that is Neil Sean and I found this piece of gold.

I also found his modest website...

EDIT: Spelt it Lermodester. I think that's a type of cheese. How apt.
Ingram
A little too early to start a thread for the 80th Academy Awards, so I might as well post this snippet here: Jon Stewart returns as Oscar host.

QUOTE (imdb.com 2007-09-13)
Stewart To Host the Oscars:  TV funnyman Jon Stewart is set to return to the Oscars stage to host the 80th Academy Awards in February. The host of America's The Daily Show took charge of the Oscars for the first time when he presented the 78th Academy Awards. Telecast producer Gilbert Cates says, "Jon was a terrific host for the 78th Awards. He is smart, quick, funny, loves movies and is a great guy. What else could one ask for?" Stewart adds, "I'm thrilled to be asked to host the Academy Awards for the second time because, as they say, the third time's a charm!" Stewart, who hosted the Grammy Awards in 2001 and 2002, has another major TV honor to look forward to - an upcoming role in The Simpsons. The 80th Academy Awards will be held at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood on February 24.

Obviously as a huge Jon Stewart fan I was rather surprised by the mixed reviews he got when he hosted in 2006, but I will admit he wasn't at his best. I suppose unless he wasn't given the sort of free reign that he is normally used to on Comedy Central. Let's hope this year he brings a little bit more, but even if it's the standard of 2006 I won't mind - he was still bloody funnier then Ellen!
curtinparloe
He mentioned it on The Daily Show I saw the other night. I missed last year's, but hopefully I'll catch this one.
Ingram
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Sep 14 2007, 03:06 PM)
He mentioned it on The Daily Show I saw the other night. I missed last year's, but hopefully I'll catch this one.

He did indeed, obviously after some audience prodding before the show. Considering the numerous references and jokes they have made about his first appearance - especially John Oliver mocking his performance after the 2007 one hosted by Ellen.
Raven
Yoiks! - Billie Piper interview.
Raven
2007 Emmy Winners.

It's nice to see some British shows get some gongs again!
Sostie
Supporting actress in a comedy
Jaime Pressly (My Name Is Earl)

Oh yes.

Actor in a comedy
Ricky Gervais (Extras)

One more EMMY. That should please the haters.

Shame Hiro didn't win.
Zoe
That was a particularly competitive category. I'm glad Locke won, and I liked his pink shirt, but I would have rather seen it go to Cwis-ti-fer.

It seems a shame 'The Sopranos' picked up no acting gongs and Michael Imperioli has been particularly brilliant lately.
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 17 2007, 11:36 AM)
Shame Hiro didn't win.

I thought that as well.

Would now be a good time to say I've never watched The Sopranos?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 17 2007, 11:43 AM)

Don't worry, I've never really watched it either.

Not for want of trying, though.
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 17 2007, 11:43 AM)

I hadn't until the beginning of this summer, then I watched every episode from start to finish in the space of a few months. It really is amazing. Zoe's praise is well deserved.

Glad to see 30 Rock get a gong, I love that show.
Sostie
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 17 2007, 10:43 AM)

I've only seen a few myself, and it is very good. Have all the seaons (so far) on DVD to catch up on.

It would be nice if the Emmy's gave an award for ensemble cast or something.
Zoe
Hiro is a fun, fan pleasing role, but none of the performances in 'Heroes' compare to the extraordinary acting across the board in 'The Sopranos'... except maybe Meadow, she might be better suited to 'Heroes'.

In their last season it would have been nice to see them rewarded for one final time.

Jimmy Gandolfini is one of the finest actors ever to grace the small screen. Tony gives more away with once glance than some characters reveal in an entire series.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 17 2007, 11:55 AM)
It would be nice if the Emmy's gave an award for ensamble cast or something.

That's actually a damn good idea. I like it.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 17 2007, 11:44 AM)
Don't worry, I've never really watched it either.

Not for want of trying, though.

I don't really know why I've never watched it; it's never really appealed I guess.

Bugsy Malone is about as far as I've gone down the gangsta/mob line, I've never seen the Godfather films either.

I really should make the effort . . .
Sostie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 17 2007, 11:08 AM)
That's actually a damn good idea. I like it.

They'd probably spell it right as well!

I think there is one US film award that already does this.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 17 2007, 12:15 PM)
They'd probably spell it right as well!

I wasn't going to mention it.

QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 17 2007, 12:15 PM)
I think there is one US film award that already does this.

Like I say, I think it's a good idea. A lot of shows use ensembles now, and to be fair, a lot of them have very weak individual performances. Scrubs, I'm looking at you here.
Zoe
The Screen Actors Guild have an award for 'Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture'.

Last year it was won by 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 17 2007, 12:18 PM)
Like I say, I think it's a good idea. A lot of shows use ensembles now, and to be fair, a lot of them have very weak individual performances. Scrubs, I'm looking at you here.

I don't think the individual cast members in Scrubs are that bad, in fact I'd say some of them are pretty good, but their performances are more physical than emotional, so their characters are never going to have any great depth for the actors to play to.

As I've said elsewhere, I've recently watched series three and four back-to-back and, although I still think it is funny, there is no real difference between the episodes at the beginning of series three and the end of series four.

At the end of the day though Scrubs isn't meant to be anything more than a light-weight comedy, and on that score it works for me.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 17 2007, 12:51 PM)
At the end of the day though Scrubs isn't meant to be anything more than a light-weight comedy, and on that score it works for me.

It's just getting a bit samey now. The characters seem to do the exact same thing in every episode these days, and the soft-rock even seems to be the same piece of music...
AusChick
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 17 2007, 11:11 AM)
I don't really know why I've never watched it; it's never really appealed I guess. 

Bugsy Malone is about as far as I've gone down the gangsta/mob line, I've never seen the Godfather films either.

I really should make the effort . . .

I've never watched the Sopranos either.
But I really like the first two Godfather films. They are definately worth a look.
Though I must confess I sometimes have to have someone there to remind me who everyone is in the movie and how they are related to the other people in the movie and so on.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Sep 17 2007, 12:34 PM)
The Screen Actors Guild have an award for 'Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture'.

Last year it was won by 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

A lot of awards did that with Volver as well, rather than singling out any particular actress for praise.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 17 2007, 12:56 PM)
It's just getting a bit samey now. The characters seem to do the exact same thing in every episode these days, and  the soft-rock even seems to be the same piece of music...

As I said, the end of series 4 is no different from the beginning of series 3, so although the story line has progressed - to a point - it is exactly the same show content wise that it was when it started.

I still laugh at this more than any other recent comedy I have watched though, so they must be doing something right.
Ingram
QUOTE (Zoe @ Sep 17 2007, 11:56 AM)
In their last season it would have been nice to see them rewarded for one final time.

I think the fact that they took 'Outstanding Drama Series' for their sixth and final season speaks volumes, although either Gandolfini or Laurie would have been better for 'Outstanding Lead Actor' than Spader.
Zoe
I meant the performers specifically, since the show was received no acting awards despite having nominations in all the dramatic categories (two in 'supporting actress').

Everyone in that show, again perhaps excluding Meadow, deserves an award for their performance.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Zoe @ Sep 17 2007, 02:40 AM)
It seems a shame 'The Sopranos' picked up no acting gongs and Michael Imperioli has been particularly brilliant lately.

The series award is the one that really mattered this time out, though. Most of the major players have all received justly deserved gongs by this point, particularly Gandolfini and Falco; Imperioli won for Season 5, which was his best work IMO. (I was actually pulling for Michael Emerson, but both he and Oka will have more chances; TO'Q's been long overdue for an award of any kind, the man's a legend.)

I still need to know what they bleeped out of Sally Field's speech.

And I'm still marvelling over how flat most of the show was. I know he's busy and all, but couldn't we have gotten Apatow to write Seacrest's jokes? He was so funny in Knocked Up...
Zoe
I would still much have preferred to see Imperioli win it.

Oka doesn't deserve an award for screwing his face up, looking cute and quoting Back to the Future - I do that on a daily basis and ain't no one giving me any awards.

The acting in 'The Sopranos' is incomparable to nearly everything else on TV, just because they've won before doesn't mean they don't deserve to again, and especially on their final outing.
logger
QUOTE (Zoe @ Sep 17 2007, 11:56 AM)
Hiro is a fun, fan pleasing role, but none of the performances in 'Heroes' compare to the extraordinary acting across the board in 'The Sopranos'... except maybe Meadow, she might be better suited to 'Heroes'.

How dare you! Seriously though, I think Meadow is alright.
thirtyhelens
I didn't say they didn't deserve to win again. Only that they've already received recognition, and thus it's considerably easier to swallow if they didn't win this time; if Imperioli had gone the whole run without winning, that would be unforgivable. They were all terrific in the final season - even Edie, who gave it 100% despite being underwritten, IMO. And as noted, it's for shows like The Sopranos that an ensemble award would really be appreciated. (Yes, at least, there's SAG...)

I have my favorites, too, and let's face it... awards are politicking, no matter how pretty everyone is turned out. I can appreciate it when someone gets it at what feels like the right time, however, and for O'Quinn it works for me; he's the backbone of that show and he had a fine arc this year.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Sep 17 2007, 02:26 PM)
I still need to know what they bleeped out of Sally Field's speech.

This news this morning said something like "If the world were ruled by mothers, there'd be no goddamned wars in the first place."
Zoe
Locke is wonderful, and I haven't even seen the latest series of 'Lost'. I have no problem with him winning, it was obviously a very competitive category this year.

But I would have liked to see them get one teensy little acting nod and I happen to be Cwis-to-fer nuts at the minute.

I think I was probably seeing 'Cleaver' last week.
Sostie
BBC News reported the Sopranos win as an award given more as a farewell thankyou than credit for the quality of the show!

Then again, they also had an interview with Adam Sandler's co-star from I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Kevin Smith! Maybe their reporting is as accurate as their research.
maian
There's an actor's strike looming in Hollywood and a lot of studios are fast-tracking projects to get them made before June, the proposed start of the strike. Empire's website has an analysis of some of the more interesting projects being rushed through, as well as a link to the full list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.