Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back Catalogue Advice Centre
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Ade
Howdy folks!

Thinking of delving into Frank Zappa's back catalague? Not sure where to start your exploration of Led Zeppelin's oeuvre? Or maybe you are a total newbie to the product of Beatles/Beach Boys et al. Then post your hesitant ponderings here, and ask for other forumites' advice on where to start your odyssey into the musical maelstrom of the unknown.

I didn't believe there was an existing 'umbrella' thread in a similar vein, and I figured it would be a tidier way of keeping the music section from potentially becoming littered with umpteen individual request threads.

I'll start things off then, by asking if anyone here has any thoughts on the output of Fish (erstwhile frontman of prog outfit Marillion). What sing he? Where go I? And why?
Sostie
Fish! Why? I don't know. biggrin.gif

Where?

Well the resources I always find useful... YouTube, MySpace and surprisingly Amazon.com. Amazon, for most CDs, has small snippets of tracks on albums which is always good for a pre purchase taste. Like licking a lolly before paying the ice cream man!
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 19 2007, 09:55 PM)
YouTube, MySpace and surprisingly Amazon.com.

As indispensible as they are, they've taken all the fun out of asking people here first.

I wasn't strickly askin' for where to look - I was more after prompting people to personally opine on any given artist, should they so wish (albeit in a Tom Bakery Little Britain-esque fashion.... which slightly backfired). biggrin.gif But I appreciate the reminder of the aforementioned resources, sah!
Sostie
QUOTE (Ade @ Sep 19 2007, 09:14 PM)
As indispensible as they are, they've taken all the fun out of asking people here first.
I wasn't strickly askin' for where to look - I was more after prompting people to personally opine on any given artist, should they so wish (albeit in a Tom Bakery Little Britain-esque fashion.... which slightly backfired).  biggrin.gif But I appreciate the reminder of the aforementioned resources, sah!

I humbly apologise.

If it is any consolation I can do a very poor Fish impression (which in my head sounds really good, like my Roger Moore one) which I will perform for you next time we meet and if I have some drinks in me.
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 19 2007, 10:18 PM)
I humbly apologise.

If it is any consolation I can do a very poor Fish impression (which in my head sounds really good, like my Roger Moore one) which I will perform for you next time we meet and if I have some drinks in me.

No apologisyness required sir. Drunksostiefish is already a winner. biggrin.gif
maian
After Sostie stuck ''Jackie'' on his last Tape Loop mix, I've tracked down Scott 2 by Scott Walker and really like it. However, I am now at a loss as to what album to get next due to the rather large back catalogue now confronting me.

Can anyone suggest where I should look next?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 19 2007, 11:05 PM)
After Sostie stuck ''Jackie'' on his last Tape Loop mix, I've tracked down Scott 2 by Scott Walker and really like it. However, I am now at a loss as to what album to get next due to the rather large back catalogue now confronting me.

You could always try listening to Jacques Brel himself, the foul-mouthed charmer that he is.

I'd recommend it.
Ade
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 19 2007, 11:05 PM)

I haven't listened to Walker in a while actually, good call. My gut reaction would be go for Scott 4, if only for the wonderment that is 'The Old Man's Back Again (Dedicated To The Neo-Stalinist Regime)' - gives me goosebumps. The rest of the album is really rather excellent too - listening through it now, I'd forgotten just how good.

Glenn's heads-up for Brel is a worthy note too - something I need to look into as well.
Sostie
Any of the numbered Scott albums are worth getting. After that he gets a bit avant garde as the years go on. And don't neglect The Walker Brothers either...some very lovely gloomy pop.

I second Brel.
maian
Any recommendations on a specific Brel album? From what I can tell there are literally hundreds of different versions floating around.
Sostie
I'd go for a best of. Not heard too much of his stuff, the little I have I've liked.
Serafina_Pekkala
Fish lives outside Edinburgh near my mate. We always keep an eye out for him when I visit but yet to see the big man yet. If I do, maybe whorage will summount itself.

As for Brel, there are tons of various 'best of' collections out there. More than original albums in fact. There is one called 100 Chansons or something. Probably a good place to start.

My niece cannot say my name so she calls me Titine and that prompted several french people to sing Mr Brel's ballad of the same name. Amusant.
maian
Well, this might be a big one to tackle, but could anyone recommend a good album to start on to investigate the work of the Rolling Stones? I know their hits pretty well but have never really invested in an album. Where do I start in terms of proper albums? I've already got a best of so really I just want to delve a bit deeper.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Ade @ Sep 19 2007, 11:14 PM)
My gut reaction would be go for Scott 4, if only for the wonderment that is 'The Old Man's Back Again (Dedicated To The Neo-Stalinist Regime)' - gives me goosebumps.

Ooh yes, and also The World's Strongest Man. Such a beautiful voice.
dandan
QUOTE (maian)
Well, this might be a big one to tackle, but could anyone recommend a good album to start on to investigate the work of the Rolling Stones? I know their hits pretty well but have never really invested in an album. Where do I start in terms of proper albums? I've already got a best of so really I just want to delve a bit deeper.

well, my favourite stones album is 'their satanic majesties request', which is a little weird at times, but has some absolute corkers on it. probably not the best place to start if you're after more of their early stuff though...
mcraigclark
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 11 2007, 05:15 PM)

Exile on Main St. or Some Girls would give you a good introduction. Exile never gets old.
maian
Cheers for the advice, guys. I've started by getting hold of Exile and Let It Bleed and will continue my voyage of discovery as and when I find their albums cheap enough.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 12 2007, 08:13 PM)
Cheers for the advice, guys. I've started by getting hold of Exile and Let It Bleed and will continue my voyage of discovery as and when I find their albums cheap enough.

Most of The Stones early CDs were repackaged and re-released. If you are lucky enough to still have a Fopp near you, I know they had many of them for a fiver. I'm sure HMV have a few in their sale for that price.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 12 2007, 10:04 PM)
Most of The Stones early CDs were repackaged and re-released.  If you are lucky enough to still have a Fopp near you, I know they had many of them for a fiver.  I'm sure HMV have a few in their sale for that price.

I really wish I'd bought them when the Fopp near me was open. A trip to Manchester to buy them would be excessive. I suppose I could justify it by saying I was going to see my sister, but she'd see right through me.
horseshead
May I make a suggestion of Sticky Fingers for The Rolling Stones is an essential album
baking
QUOTE (Ade @ Sep 19 2007, 08:41 PM)
I'll start things off then, by asking if anyone here has any thoughts on the output of Fish (erstwhile frontman of prog outfit Marillion). What sing he? Where go I? And why?

all I know is he has an album called "Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors", which is 'down there' in erms of bad album titles IMO. although I've never heard it. the front cover looks like a dodgy Athena poster.

also his real name is apparently Derek Willy Dick, which is incredible.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Having recently started getting interested in New Order's stuff, I'm a little lost as to where to start with their albums. I think I could do with some assistance, especially since they seem to have nearly as many hits compilations as studio LPs.
dandan
start with 'technique' and work your way backwards. ignore everything which followed...
Sostie
Or get Substance and see which period you like best.

Low Life is their best IMHO
dandan
i pretty much like everything from 'movement' to 'technique', even if there are a couple of hit and miss moments...
Hobbes
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 11 2007, 09:15 PM)

To be honest the Stones are not an albums band really, all their albums are very patchy aside from the quality hit here or there. If I were you I'd just whammy iTunes Store and grab whatever looks good to you or that you want.

Exile on Main Street is arguably their best album, but almost all the albums have one or two absolute stunners then a few okay songs and a few shit ones. I'd seriously say many of the albums are not very good, though I think the Stones are one of the best bands ever.

If I were you, try and get this because it's an early compilation (released 1971) and has almost every great track they recorded or released in that early period. Though neither of my favourite Stones songs are on there (Tumblin' Dice and Beast of Burden) there's still loads of quality on there.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (dandan @ Jul 22 2008, 03:04 PM)
start with 'technique' and work your way backwards. ignore everything which followed...

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 22 2008, 03:06 PM)
Or get Substance and see which period you like best.

Low Life is their best IMHO

QUOTE (dandan @ Jul 22 2008, 03:38 PM)
i pretty much like everything from 'movement' to 'technique', even if there are a couple of hit and miss moments...

Cheers for the pointers guys. I received some bonus bonds (just like money!) in work just before I left so I have invested in their Singles collection and I will order Technique and possibly Low Life when I get me bonus next week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.