Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Spaced ever be relased on DVD in the US?
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced
Pages: 1, 2
rhob60
Will the seasons of Spaced ever be released in the US? I've seen parts of both seasons, but since NBC dropped Trio and BBC-America unexpectedly dropped the series, I'm lost! I guess I could say I'm Lost in Spaced... Any info if this will ever be released here across the stupid Pond? Thank you!
mcraigclark
QUOTE (rhob60 @ Oct 12 2007, 04:07 PM)
Will the seasons of Spaced ever be released in the US? I've seen parts of both seasons, but since NBC dropped Trio and BBC-America unexpectedly dropped the series, I'm lost! I guess I could say I'm Lost in Spaced... Any info if this will ever be released here across the stupid Pond? Thank you!

There are music licensing issues and a host of other obstacles that are preventing the release for now. It may happen eventually, but you're much better off buying a region-free player (or at least on that's eaily hacked) and getting Spaced from Amazon UK.
Mrs Watt
I read in a blog that Edgar is working on it.

If that ture or not is another thing.
shaft_the_ewok
I think the general consensus is that it's being worked on. Fret not region one fans, the guys will sort it out eventually.
Omniscia
And, in the meantime, a region-hackable DVD player will still play all of your existing DVDs! There's really no reason not to have one, unless you just don't feel like buying another DVD player.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Oct 18 2007, 10:02 AM)
There's really no reason not to have one, unless you just don't feel like buying another DVD player.

You mean everyone doesn't have at least two DVD players?! ohmy.gif I'm still shocked that people don't have multi-disk players. I couldn't survive with a single disk player.
AusChick
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Oct 18 2007, 02:11 PM)
You mean everyone doesn't have at least two DVD players?!  ohmy.gif I'm still shocked that people don't have multi-disk players. I couldn't survive with a single disk player.

We've only got one DVD player - but it's multi-region so it does everything we need.
Spaced has never been released on DVD in Australia either - but it rarely occurs to me to even notice that.
I buy so many English and American DVDs anyway - it's just second nature
Omniscia
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Oct 18 2007, 10:11 AM)
You mean everyone doesn't have at least two DVD players?!  ohmy.gif I'm still shocked that people don't have multi-disk players. I couldn't survive with a single disk player.

I don't know if that's sarcasm, or not, but I bought my multi-region player after the old, R1-only model stopped working.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Oct 19 2007, 10:15 AM)
I don't know if that's sarcasm

Only slightly. If you've got more than one TV in the house, you need more than one DVD player. I used to have 3 hooked up to one TV although one of those was an old DVD/Laser Disc combo that I got from work after the laser part of it stopped working.
DOD-MDK
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Oct 18 2007, 09:11 AM)

Well If you are a home theater enthusiast. The multidisc players do not give you as good picture quality (especially if you are upconverting to 1080i) As single discs due to increased electrical noise coming from the giant motor that spins the tray around. That is why if you go into your local high-end home theater shop (Not Best Buy/Good Guys/CircuitCity) and look at the High End units (Over $700) you will notice that very few of them are multidisc. Having a multidisc is fine as long as you are connecting it to a 32" Regular Tube TV. But hooking one up to 72" 1080p Panel you will notice a huge difference in picture quality.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Oct 19 2007, 01:23 PM)
Well If you are a home theater enthusiast.

If I even had the money to get a new TV I could see your point but then I would just have that one hooked up to my single player. happy.gif

I love my multi disk player because I watch multiple disks at one time. When I'm watching a TV series on disk I don't watch it all in one go. I don't have to keep putting the TV disk in & out (too much handling is not good) when I change to watch a movie that night. I also tend to watch a cartoon or short before I watch the main feature so I can just set that up and not have to get up to change the disk. Also, if there are extras or commentary on a disk, I can leave it in the player until I get around to listening to it. I like to give myself a tiny bit of space before I watch commentaries.
dolfyn
^ Man, what a DVD geek you are! It's fantastic. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
rabbit57i
happy.gif
rabbit57i
MTV Gives Date Of July 23
Omniscia
MTV refers to Peggster as "[Simon's] official site"...
thirtyhelens
It's not, really, but nice of them to think so. wink.gif
AusChick
It's just about as official as you can get really.

Perhaps "endorsed" would be more accurate?
MyDogAteLA
Some news on the R1 DVD:

QUOTE (SIMON PEGG)
We recorded a whole bunch of new Spaced commentaries in Santa Monica yesterday.
Edgar, Jess and myself, were joined by guest commentators, Kevin Smith, Diablo Cody,
Quentin Tarantino and Matt Stone. This, together with brand new cover art will hopefully
sweeten the blow for those completists who already have the region 2.

Harmz
CazBag
QUOTE (MyDogAteLA @ Mar 23 2008, 07:03 PM)
Some news on the R1 DVD:

QUOTE (SIMON PEGG)
Edgar, Jess and myself, were joined by guest commentators, Kevin Smith, Diablo Cody,
Quentin Tarantino and Matt Stone. This, together with brand new cover art will hopefully

Harmz

Cheers for that Harmz!
Omniscia
Ugh, Quentin Tarantino.

And that makes me want to buy it how..?

The guy can make a good film, but he's one of the most annoying men on earth.

Hopefully, it'll be a separate commentary track for the friends/admirers.
AusChick
QUOTE (MyDogAteLA @ Mar 23 2008, 07:03 PM)
Some news on the R1 DVD:

QUOTE (SIMON PEGG)

Harmz

How did I miss this????

This is so cool!!

I wonder if the Region 4 release will be the same?

Oh man, how am I going to tell my hubby that I need a second copy of Spaced to go along with my three copies of Hot Fuzz? hahahaha. I'm a dead woman!
pokemaniactim
I hope they release it here! wub.gif I want it...
mousespider
When I told my sister I might have to buy Spaced again because of the commentaries she looked at me and said:

"You are ridiculous." laugh.gif
pokemaniactim
I need to get a job so I can buy a region free dvd player and spaced...
AusChick
QUOTE (mousespider @ Mar 27 2008, 02:09 AM)
When I told my sister I might have to buy Spaced again because of the commentaries she looked at me and said:

"You are ridiculous." laugh.gif

That's probably similar to what my hubby will say.
But throw in a few more swear words tongue.gif

I still say he's only got himself to blame though. He was the one who introduced me to Spaced in the first place and ordered the Series 1 DVD from the UK.
It's not my fault if I got hooked! wink.gif
frostitute
Diablo Cody...
dolfyn
[quote=AusChick,Mar 27 2008, 11:07 AM]
Harmz

[/quote]

How did I miss this????

This is so cool!!

I wonder if the Region 4 release will be the same?
Oh man, how am I going to tell my hubby that I need a second copy of Spaced to go along with my three copies of Hot Fuzz? hahahaha. I'm a dead woman!

[/quote]
Yeah! I want one too! biggrin.gif

We double-dippers are certainly keeping the boys cashed-up! laugh.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif

EDIT
Something's happened to the quotes. huh.gif
Omniscia
Edgar, I hope you realise how much money you've taken from me over the years! wink.gif
dolfyn
^ At least it's going to worthy people. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
Jon 79
Now my Spaced: Definitive box set doesn't seems so definitive.

I'm gonna want to hear those commentaries... but what am I going to do? ... buy the region one set? ... and then buy a multi-region player to play it on?!
Starscream`s Ghost
Seems a bit of a waste of money to me, when all you'll really be getting out of it is a bunch of people talking over a television programme.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 27 2008, 11:50 AM)
Seems a bit of a waste of money to me, when all you'll really be getting out of it is a bunch of people talking over a television programme.

Maybe if we ask him really nicely, Edgar would be good enough to post the commentaries online somewhere.
rabbit57i
I honestly don't think that we needed anything to "sweeten the blow" for completists. I had no intention of getting the R1 set after already acquiring the (now non-)Definitive Collection. This is only to get people who've already gotten the R2 set to want to buy yet another one. Sounds like cashing in to me.

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 26 2008, 07:03 PM)
Ugh, Quentin Tarantino.

And that makes me want to buy it how..?

Yeah, in fact I kinda despise just about all those guys. I honestly wouldn't want to hear what Tarantino, Kevin Smith or Matt Stone have to say about Spaced. They're all a bunch of wankers to me. I don't know Diablo Cody.
widowspider
QUOTE (pokemaniactim @ Mar 27 2008, 02:12 AM)
I need to get a job so I can buy a region free dvd player and spaced...

Well, with this Region 1 (which is the US) DVD, you won't need to!
AusChick
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Mar 27 2008, 02:57 PM)
Sounds like cashing in to me.

I disagree.
Omniscia
The only reason I'd consider picking up the Region 1 version is so I could lend it to others who don't have region-free players. I hate having to drag one of mine along all the time.
frostitute
-nvm-
mcraigclark
It'll only have a ring of "cashing in" for those people who already own Spaced. Most of the U.S. has never heard of it and this will be their first copy. Besides, anyone who owns multiple copies of anything and has a problem with it has no one to blame but himself. I own two different copies of SoTD, the stand-alone series of Spaced as well as the 3-disc, and three different copies of HF. I don't mind spending the money on completist geekery, but I can also see how some people would be put off by buying what's essentially the same thing over and over.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Mar 27 2008, 03:33 PM)
I don't mind spending the money on completist geekery, but I can also see how some people would be put off by buying what's essentially the same thing over and over.

Exactly. I've been a pretty militant anti-double dipper for some time now, it was often touched upon when I used to write the DVD column for OC Weekly. But I'm not beyond hanging on to multiple versions of something that I really love; I won't get rid of any previous Twin Peaks releases now that I have the Gold Box, for example, the first two have too many good commentaries and other features on them.

Team Spaced seems to fully realize that those completists (like Craig and myself) are the ones they're putting the incentive there for; somehow I doubt they can't grasp that other fans of the show won't feel the same, and if that contingent doesn't want to buy it it's their prerogative. I'd also find it a bit difficult to call "sellout" when they've been holding out on a US release this long so that the music clearances could be arranged; if it was only about cashing in, they could have swapped in new music and released it ages ago.
AusChick
Yep.
What Craig & Nic said.
*nods*
Omniscia
Come to think of it, I've got three copies of Hot Fuzz, too... The initial R1 release, the 3-disc edition, and the HD-DVD.
AusChick
I had four copies but I gave one away and now I have three as well.

I have the 2-disc Region 2 release, the 2-disc Region 1 release and the 3-disc Region 1 release.

The 3-disc set actually has everything that the 2-discs have on them plus more.
But both the 2-disc sets are signed so I certainly wont be giving those away!
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 27 2008, 04:38 PM)
The only reason I'd consider picking up the Region 1 version is so I could lend it to others who don't have region-free players. I hate having to drag one of mine along all the time.

That's a very good excuse for getting the R1 version. happy.gif

I think my "cashing in" comment was misunderstood. I'll just say that releasing a R1 version of the show is all they need to do. There are a massive amount of people that have been waiting for it and I don't doubt that it's going to be a sell-out.

Edit: ....as in selling out not as in being a sell-out. (I don't want to be misunderstood again).
Omniscia
Are they changing any of the music for this release?
thirtyhelens
Narp.
AusChick
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Mar 28 2008, 02:53 PM)
That's a very good excuse for getting the R1 version.  happy.gif

I think my "cashing in" comment was misunderstood. I'll just say that releasing a R1 version of the show is all they need to do. There are a massive amount of people that have been waiting for it and I don't doubt that it's going to be a sell-out.

Edit: ....as in selling out not as in being a sell-out. (I don't want to be misunderstood again).

Hehe. S'OK. We know what you mean.
I hope my disagreement didn't come across as too rude either.
I just think they are trying to be generous and put in some nice extras for folks who do like to buy more than one copy (you know, geeks like me biggrin.gif )

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 28 2008, 03:09 PM)
Are they changing any of the music for this release?

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Mar 28 2008, 05:28 PM)
Narp.

I had the feeling that was one of the main reasons it's taken them so long to get the R1 release is because they really wanted to clear the rights on all the music.
widowspider
QUOTE (AusChick @ Mar 28 2008, 09:40 PM)
I had the feeling that was one of the main reasons it's taken them so long to get the R1 release is because they really wanted to clear the rights on all the music.

Correctamundo.
dolfyn
Well, I'm sure I'll be buying the US release. wink.gif Although, if we get that one as a region 4 here, then I'll be buying it here instead of online.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
CazBag
The latest from Edgar's blog if you've not read it already:

Edgar's 3rd April Blog:

Patton (Oswalt) just did 3 commentaries with me on Tuesday for the new SPACED DVD - hitting North America this July.

Also featuring on the commentary tracks along with me, Simon and Jessica are Quentin Tarantino, Matt Stone, Kevin Smith, Bill Hader and one Diablo Cody.

Thatís some line up.

The new DVD will feature all 14 episodes with no music changes (!), all the extras from the UK 3 disc set, plus a great video of our NFT SPACED marathon. And new artwork from Jim Murray.

Expect a press release very soon.

BIG YEY!!! for the NFT SPACED marathon addition!!!
Raven
Rachel and Julie on DVD, a must have!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.