Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
WHAPANG!
Best comics i'v read have to be Love Hina, Chobits, A.I love you and x-men! biggrin.gif
pots
QUOTE (philt @ Feb 17 2005, 08:40 PM)
Presumably your point being that people who like 2000ad aren't sophisticated enough to "get" this.

Thanks for the insight.   mad.gif

not at all philt, did i say anything like that? just that its a very different type of comic art.

think you read a little too much into that.
Douglas Nicol
I'm reading the Trigan Empire reprints just now. Two books have been released and the marvellous artwork is from the late and sadly missed Don Lawrence.

The Trigan empire is set on the world of Elekton and features civilisations with contemparies to Ancient Rome, Byzantium and others yet there's technology like energy weapons and atmosphere craft.

It's really quite good stuff.
Stantz
At the moment im reading

Army Of Darkness,
spectaulor spider-man
Marvel nights spider-man
Ghostbusters
the walking dead

all kick ass
shazam
the pracher novels,grrr theres so many of them
Jubei
I have been readin Ultimate X-men, i have just read The Ultimates, and will be reading Ultimate War next, which ties the two series neatly together. Then I can read the rest of the Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men. Oh the superhero fun i'll be having.
Ell
I buy Astonishing Spider-Man, Essential X-Men and 2000AD amongst many graphic novels.
Douglas Nicol
Whats the name of that Zombie comic someone recommended a while back.
Ell
The Walking Dead?
Douglas Nicol
That's it, thanks. I'm going up to Glasgow this weekend and will pick it up.

Glasgow, I hear, used to be called the Comic capital of Europe but most of the used books and comic shops seem to have closed down.

And to elaborate on what has been said earlier, the Forbidden Planet in Glasgow doesn't seem much cop either.

Bah, half of that is the fault of Marks and Spencers. sad.gif
Ell
I know it's annoying, i'm trying to get a job in a comic shop right now as my current job is a loada wank but i just can't find any about. I used to one down the road from me called In To The Void, but i closed down. sad.gif It seems the internet is the favoured selling tool now.
Douglas Nicol
Well Glasgow used to have a place called the Virginia Galleries. Apparently it's where the tobacco merchants did business in the 19th Century, great old place. It was full of small independent shop units, small businesses, none of your chain store crap. There was a couple of book and comic places for instance. What happens, M&S ruin the building due to sloppy construction work nearby and most of the businesses close down due to them and the contractors Tarmac dragging the case out till the statute of limitations ran out.

Then there was Stateside comics. It went bust. There was a comic shop in Byres Road but ut shifted and he's so sloppy in storing his stuff it gets damaged. There was at one time about a dozen similiar shops. I also used them for used sci fi and fantasy paperbacks, especially out of print stuff. sad.gif
Raven
Does anyone know a good on-line comic shop?
MissingPlanet
QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Mar 1 2005, 06:51 PM)
Then there was Stateside comics.  It went bust.  There was a comic shop in Byres Road but ut shifted and he's so sloppy in storing his stuff it gets damaged.  There was at one time about a dozen similiar shops.  I also used them for used sci fi and fantasy paperbacks, especially out of print stuff. sad.gif

The one on Byres Road has closed. There was another branch of it on Woodlands Road - no idea if it's still there. In the centre of Glasgow there is FP and A-1 comics on Parnie Street. I believe I went there a few times about 8 years ago. If I remember right, it's bigger than FP.

Can't think of any online comic places. I am surprised FP have never gone into that market.
Famous Mortimer
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 1 2005, 06:57 PM)

I'd go for www.page45.co.uk, a shop based in Nottingham with a great website / online shop.

I keep reading "The Magic Whistle", by Sam Henderson. Demented genius.
Douglas Nicol
QUOTE (MissingPlanet @ Mar 1 2005, 07:10 PM)
The one on Byres Road has closed. There was another branch of it on Woodlands Road - no idea if it's still there. In the centre of Glasgow there is FP and A-1 comics on Parnie Street. I believe I went there a few times about 8 years ago. If I remember right, it's bigger than FP.

Can't think of any online comic places. I am surprised FP have never gone into that market.

Byres Road has closed. Future SHock, that was it's name and he moved to Woodlands Road, but he always shoddily stored his stuff resulting in a lot of damaged stock. The Woodlands road store was at most half the size of the old one with the same amount of stock in it.

A-1 also have a branch on Great Western Road, but I've only been there once.
Raven
QUOTE (Famous Mortimer @ Mar 1 2005, 11:02 PM)
I'd go for www.page45.co.uk, a shop based in Nottingham with a great website / online shop.

Cheers! I'll check it out smile.gif
kid_koala
just finished the last invisibles books. from re-reading the entire series's's's's, i've already reached 6 possibilites of what's going on. much more are still to come!
Ell
Hopefully i'll be getting a nice selection of new comics for my birthday coming up, anyone got any new suggestions i should maybe ask for?
magatsu
as the name suggests blade of the immortal if you havent read it give it a try it is well worth the time and cash
Scorpius
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 1 2005, 06:57 PM)

Try Comic Domain great comic website
http://www.comicdomain.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
whixie
Nearly finished the Sandman - Endless Nights. I loved Despair and Delerium. In fact, I think I love Neil Gaiman.
Draven Grey
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac was my latest read. Gods i miss Invader Zim.
Bunny Biscuits
I read and recommend -

Groovy Pixelated Online Comic:
* Diesel Sweeties

The World Famous Investigating Reporter:
* Tintin

And Australian Independant Comic:
* Platinum Grit
(whose official website is now, sadly closed)
ella
Picked up the latest issue of Tozzer2 at Memorabilia last weekend and have read that. Very short, but I likes it.

Tozzer Site
flakmonkey
-Edge graphic novel (the best of the set is Scion, I reckon)
-Astro City " "
-Sandman " "

All very, very good! biggrin.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
Lots and lots of Dredd. It still knocks the crap out of most US stuff.
maian
Most recent one i read was the simpsons-futurama crossover comic, though i didn't get the second half so i don't know how it ended sad.gif

I also read Akira, volume 1 if that counts (more graphic novel than comic) and i read it for free in a Borders cos they have all of them on a shelf! Just a few more visits and the whole story will have unfolded
Amazongirl
Im saving up for this book ive been looking for for ages, and spotted in waterstones on sunday.

One of my favorite/first decent graphic novels ive read is Maus. My mum got me a battered old library copy from her school in a sale and i got the second many years later from the library (never gave it back...its overduew ith 9 others by about 4 years).

Anywho Ive been wanting my Own copy of them both in one, and they have the complete 2 books in one. Really wanting it
Jinx
QUOTE (Draven Grey @ Apr 5 2005, 07:14 PM)
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac was my latest read. Gods i miss Invader Zim.

Word. I picked up all the Johnnys and the I Feel Sicks. I'm still waiting for Roman Dirge to put out the latest Lenore. And when is Rob Fingerman going to do another book. I loved Minimum Wage and I want some more from him (White Like She wasn't all that good).

I'm reading Love & Rockets, The Losers, Hellblazer, Walking Dead and Sleeper at the mo. The other book which deserves a special mention is Garth Ennis's 303. Anyone else reading it? It's fantastic.
Douglas Nicol
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 19 2005, 03:22 PM)
Lots and lots of Dredd. It still knocks the crap out of most US stuff.

I'm a fan of the old Dredd stuff. I've still got fond memories of Block Mania and the Apocalypse War as well as The Cursed Earth.

Talking of 2000AD publication, does anyone republish the original Rogue Trooper stories right from the beginning?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Apr 20 2005, 03:08 PM)
I'm a fan of the old Dredd stuff.  I've still got fond memories of Block Mania and the Apocalypse War as well as The Cursed Earth.

Talking of 2000AD publication, does anyone republish the original Rogue Trooper stories right from the beginning?

Not as far as I know, but I think they bring out old stories from time to time in tpb and in 2000ad monthly.
Douglas Nicol
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 20 2005, 02:09 PM)
Not as far as I know, but I think they bring out old stories from time to time in tpb and in 2000ad monthly.

In trade paperback form would be good, I really enjoyed the old Rogue Trooper stuff, although it was very much a series 'of its time'.

I'd also like to know if "The VC's" are reprinted, I've got the old Titan reprint of volume 1, but I can't find volume 2 for love nor money.
super_horse
this is sort of a spin off from the 'films to avoid' topic were i talked about the Constantine movie and Hellblazer comics. I just wondered if theres anyone else into the graphic artform and if so u can talk about the oldies, new stuff, crap stuff and good stuff.

P.S sorry if there is another thread like this but i couldnt see one

I suppose i should start then, keep it simple whats the last comic book you read, and was it any good?

Mine was issue 2# of 'Living with Zombies' By Matthew Billman and Christopher Herndon and is setting out to be a pretty cool series
m0r1arty
There are too many selecting only one for me but here's a brief overview of some of my favourites:

Dark Knight Returns - Having dropped the mantle for 20 years Bruce Wayne is living a reckless and troubling life. Batman has become an urban myth and crime is on the increase. A mysterious goverment agent who appears to be faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive lurks behind the story. Harvey Dent (2 face) has been cured by large donations from the Wayne Corporation and is due to enter into society again. As ever the Joker and all the usual suspects are about. Brilliant, Tom Selleck must play him if it ever gets filmilised. Book 2 though is shite.

Plantery- Written partly by Warren Ellis this trio of unusual archeologists investigate a reality where fiction appears to sneak in occasionally - not that the public ever know about it, due to the 4. Ongoing stories but as with everything good, you can pick up any story and have a thouroughly good read without any prior knowledge.

The Button Men- A story that appeared in 2000AD back in about 91'. A man returns from his army days. There are no jobs for him and nothing to his life. He is offered a load of money by a wealthy doctor to go to a field. There he finds a gun. Seconds later he is being shot at by two others. He, and others like him, are now pawns in a game set up by the elite of society.

There are loads of others too like Jonny Alpha, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Sinister and Dexter and of course Durham Red - She had an excellent story where she had to kill a future version of herself that had gone mad!!

Year One, Preacher and The Invisibles are also good. And the full Akira Series are great if you have a month to kill.

I'm up for any suggestions as what to read and await with baited breath.

-m0r
gulfcoast_highwayman
Volume 3 of 'The Walking Dead'. Good stuff. Stays true to Zombie lore.
ella
Just finished Sin City - Marv's story. I read it mainly to see if I would be able to cope with the violence if I went to see the film. Bloody good book, but I don't think I will be running down to the cinema - I think it would be too much for me in live action.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (ella @ Jul 1 2005, 10:26 AM)
I think it  would be too much for me in live action.

Nah, s'alright - it's very stylised.
ella
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jul 1 2005, 12:06 PM)
Nah, s'alright - it's very stylised.

I really would like to see it - I loved the book. At least now I know in advance where the really nasty bits are.... It is the bit where Marv catches up to Elijah Wood's character that will bother me - I don't mind the uber-violence as such, it is the gore that I am really squeamish about. Urgh.

Might have to wait for the DVD so I can hide behind a cushion!
Sean of the Dead
I haven't seen Sin City but apparently someone rips off someone elses bollocks, the details were very sketchy.
Rushmore
I'm reading 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns' Its a lot better than I had expected.
pots
just finished adrien tomine's 'sleepwalk and other stories' and 'summer blonde'.

loneliness, desperation, heartbreak. stories about losers and loners. lots of fun.
Stantz
QUOTE (Rushmore @ Jul 1 2005, 04:42 PM)
I'm reading 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns' Its a lot better than I had expected.

i read that the other day, Frank miller classic.
Douglas Nicol
Thrud the Barbarian issue 4
super_horse
just finished SMAX series nice little read (p.s read top ten first)

i also wanna pick up the dark knight strikes again, is it any good?
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Stantz @ Jul 2 2005, 10:17 PM)
i read that the other day, Frank miller classic.

I think his 'Born Again' arc for Daredevil was better, but Dark Knight Returns is still great reading.
whitey
Batman: Year One is better than both of them.
Sostie
For Miller, I'd say Elektra Assassin is my fave.

Last comic I read was the latest issue of Shaolin Cowboy. Narrating horses, kung fu crabs and evil babies...it's a little weird.
m0r1arty
QUOTE (whitey @ Jul 3 2005, 03:53 PM)
Batman: Year One is better than both of them.

Bloody brilliant choice sir...but better than DKR.....I couldn't place them next to each other

-m0r
Hobbes
I have been reading the 'New X-Men' series from the Marvel universe. Very interesting and is keeping me well interested. Plus, they sure know how to churn out the honeys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.