Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
NiteFall
I've just started reading The Boys and I'm loving it so far. Garth Ennis really is a comedy genius.
monkeyman
I need to catch up on that as well, only bugger about linux is I'm to lazy to get CDisplay working on it to be able to read anything. I'll look for something else that'll work maybe
NiteFall
There's a very good .cbr reader for the PSP actually. Buggered if I can remember the name of it though.
monkeyman
........well shit, I didn't even think about that. Try and remember, I'm gonna have a search for it now.
NiteFall
PSPComic. Available here.
monkeyman
Cheers Kei, it's the same one I found. The readme's really could be more clear, got it up and running and it's nice how quickly it will zoom in and out, scroll around the image and change pages.
I have walking dead to catch up on and then The Boys biggrin.gif. Oh and Punisher Max.
maian
I picked up The Sandman - The Wake yesterday and finished it this morning. A beautiful ending to a story that constantly surprised me and made me realise what the comic medium could do. Gaiman is a true master of the form and this series will no doubt stand the test of time as one of the greatest achievements in the history of the medium. Stunning, I am sad to reach the end of it.
monkeyman
Has anyone been keeping up to date with Garth Ennis' "Crossed"? I had the first two and loved them, what issue is it up to now? Also has anyone ever read the Conan comics? I may get a hold of them if they're any good.
zeden
to the best of my understanding the Conan books are rife with blatant racism and have dated pretty badly.

I've been on something of a comics bender of late and have read the following -
Sandman
Y The Last Man
The Walking Dead
What If?
Punisher

And they were all reet good,though Y ended up going off the rails a bit towards the end.
monkeyman
Punisher max? Which issue have you read up to, I have up to 60 and an amusing christmas special. I still don't own the 4th non max one (Full Auto) so will probably try and download it until I can be bothered buying it. Punisher Max is consistently awesome. As is Walking Dead
Sostie
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 10 2009, 07:33 PM) *
Has anyone been keeping up to date with Garth Ennis' "Crossed"? I had the first two and loved them, what issue is it up to now?

#5 came out today. They seem to be getting less extreme and bit more talky, but still good.
monkeyman
Brilliant, I have up to 5 and a "sketchbook", so I'm looking forward to getting into ones I haven't read yet. I have The Boys to catch up on as well.
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 10 2009, 10:18 PM) *
Punisher max? Which issue have you read up to, I have up to 60 and an amusing christmas special. I still don't own the 4th non max one (Full Auto) so will probably try and download it until I can be bothered buying it. Punisher Max is consistently awesome. As is Walking Dead

It's the stuff you gave me ages ago, Kitchen Irish, Mother Russia, Barracuda etc. Think I might have to track down some more, watching the Punisher plough through scum is always a mood lifter I find.
And consistently awesome indeed, loved the whole prison thing from Walking Dead in particular.
monkeyman
Ahh theres much more for you to catch up on my man! Inclusing Franks daughter and the return of Barracuda...in the same story.

I highly recommend Ennis' "The Boys" and "Crossed" as well my man
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 11 2009, 10:31 PM) *
daughter and the return of Barracuda...in the same story.

WTF! I'm looking for these right now!
monkeyman
I had a good link that had 1-60 and a pretty good Xmas special, 61 has just been released so it's a good collection.
zeden
Already found 1-60 sir, though the link I found says that Ennis stops writing for the series at issue 60. Say it ain't so?!
monkeyman
Apparantly so sad.gif That does make me sad, still he's had a hell of a run, 5 years is a long time. That recap will have spoilers by the way so don't read it all!
omni
Planetary #27 to come out later this year, FINALLY.
Jimmay
Finished Scott Pilgrim Volume 4 last night and I'm still loving it. I'm glad that I re-read the first couple of volumes as it really didn't grab me the first time around but I'm absolutely loving it now. I'm now trying to find volume 5 at less than full price but everywhere seems to be over 8 quid at the moment so I'll just have to hold on a bit.
maian
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 16 2009, 10:23 AM) *
Finished Scott Pilgrim Volume 4 last night and I'm still loving it. I'm glad that I re-read the first couple of volumes as it really didn't grab me the first time around but I'm absolutely loving it now. I'm now trying to find volume 5 at less than full price but everywhere seems to be over 8 quid at the moment so I'll just have to hold on a bit.

It's £7 at Forbidden Planet. That's probably about as cheap as you'll get it for some time, and it is very good.
angle
Just finished The Walking Dead compendium one and Romero's Toe Tags, both very enjoyable and the first comic books i've read since Tank Girl.
Enjoyed both of them in different ways, Walking Dead was very detailed and thought out story wise but i found the art work a little weak compared to stuff i've read in the past although the detail of the storyline and characters made up for that somewhat, i would love it to be colour instead of mono but that's the format currently for these type of books and i guess it makes them more affordable, the story definately picks up toward the end with the introduction of the Governor and the Woodbury community but i couldnt help thinking of King's The Stand and Randall Flag,the walking dude.
Toe Tags is very different being much much shorter and over the top story wise, i love the detailed artwork and luscious colours that make it a very visual experience.
All the characters in toe tags are much more cartoony and over the top and so is the dialogue but this kind of makes it more fun to read, it is ultimately an escapist experience like watching a Tarantino movie, big gaudy and fun and wins it for me over the gritty realism of The Walking Dead but saying that, i still want the next part of Walking dead to see what happens to the characters.
Douglas Nicol
I've been catching up on a lot of old 2000AD stuff. Graphic novels I've bought recently include....

Judge Dredd complete case files 1 and 2
Invasion and Savage:Taking Liberties. Savage is very dark compared to its older brother.
Strontium Dog volume 2
All three collections of Nemesis the Warlock
The VC's, both volumes that are out.
The complete Ro-Busters
All 6 Rogue Trooper graphic novels from The Future of War to Real Politik

I've also got three editions of the Xtreme Edition magazine which covers the Harlem Heroes and the Meltdown Man (anyone remember that?)

Another series of graphic novels were Don Lawrences The Trigan Empire, very hard to describe in some ways, but imagine a mix of pulp sci fi, fantasy and mythology.

This gives you an idea of the kind of artwork, very olde worlde

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/LawrenceTrigan0045.jpg
Jimmay
I've just read volume 1 of The Boys and its ridiculous. I don't think I've ever read anything so brutal, violent and un PC but its hilarious and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it. I rarely, if ever laugh out loud while reading but I actually heartily laughed on a number of occassions with some of the reveals in this.
Sostie
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 3 2009, 09:20 AM) *
I've just read volume 1 of The Boys and its ridiculous. I don't think I've ever read anything so brutal, violent and un PC but its hilarious and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it. I rarely, if ever laugh out loud while reading but I actually heartily laughed on a number of occassions with some of the reveals in this.

Kepp with it Jimmay - it's probably, with Walking Dead, the best current title out there.

Just finished the final part of ULTIMATUM. The story of one Marvel's big bads going crazy apeshit and trying to destroy the world. Generally it's a pretty good story of heroes trying to deal with world-wide mass destruction. What really stands out is the cull of so many characters, including some very big names. And not just zapped by some ray kind of kill - this is some brutal shit.

Those killed are:

Angel - Killed and partially eaten by Sabretooth.
Beast - Drowned.
Blob - Head bitten off by Hank Pym.
Cannonball - Blown up by Madrox.
Captain Britain - Blown up by Madrox.
Cyclops - Shot in the head by Quicksilver.
Daredevil - Found dead by Spider-Man. Presumably drowned.
Dazzler - Drowned.
Detonator - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land.
Doctor Doom - Head crushed by the Thing.
Doctor Strange - Killed by Dormammu after his body is constricted, causing his engorged head to explode.
Emma Frost - Blown up by Madrox.
Forge - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land.
Franklin Storm - Killed by the Ultimatum Wave.
Hard-Drive - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land.
Hank Pym - Blown up by Madrox.
Juggernaut - Hit in the eye by a poisonous dart shot by a Sentinel soldier.
Longshot - Tortured and killed in the Savage Land.
Lorelei - Killed by Wolverine.
Madrox - Killed by Wolverine.
Magneto - Head blown off by Cyclops.
Nightcrawler - Drowned.
Polaris - Blown up by Madrox.
Professor X - Neck broken by Magneto.
Psylocke - Listed by Marvel as dead, though her death was never shown.
Sunspot - Blown up by Madrox
Syndicate - Dead after one of his heads is blown off by William Stryker.
Thor - Surrendered his soul to Valhalla.
Toad - listed by Marvel as dead, though his death was never shown.
Wasp - Partially eaten by the Blob

Presumed dead:
Spider-Man - Killed by the Ultimatum Wave?
Wolverine - Believed dead after the battle with Magneto - adimantium skeleton ripped from body. Twitching arm remains
Firestar - MIA
Havok - MIA

Also finished Marvel Zombies 4. Great stuff featuring the Midnight Sons and Dead Pool's wise-cracking zombie head
NiteFall
I didn't really like Ultimatum. It felt a bit too much like the writers were trying too hard to be edgy and dark and instead made it excessive and pointless. Marvel Zombies 4 on the other hand was brill. Has anyone else been reading the new Deadpool series I AM THE MEAT!! and Deadpool: Suicide Kings?
monkeyman
Hmm, rhink I'll have to get hold of Ultimatum
empathy-with-beast
Read the "reception" section on the Wikipedia page for Ultimatum. Favourite quote: "I consider this type of writing to be eye rape."
Starscream`s Ghost
Wolverine (presumably) dies? Wow, that almost *never* happens.
monkeyman
Didn't it turn out that he would have died when Magneto ripped his adamantium in the actual canon storyline if Xavier hadn't held his soul/humanity whatever together until he could actually try and heal?
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 3 2009, 05:45 PM) *
Hmm, rhink I'll have to get hold of Ultimatum

Ditto. Sounds interesting, in so far as I thought Madrox the multiple man was long dead thanks to the Legacy virus and I want to know how they got around that one.

Been on a serious Garth Ennis bing for a while now and thus far I've read every issue of The Punisher he wrote, two thirds of Hitman, his Ghost Rider specials, every available issue of Crossed (brilliantly disturbing btw), up to issue 31 of The Boys and tonights work entertainment is one through three of Herogasm.
He's brutal, unashamedly amoral and for my money the best writer of vengance/revenge fiction around. I'd genuinely struggle to find fault with a single issue of his stuff.

Also belted my way through House of M, Civil War, Sandman, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness and Marvel zombies. All good fun, though the Marvel stuff just didn't grip me nearly as hard as The Age of Apocalypse did when I read it originally.
monkeyman
Thats because AoA is the best. Didn't I lend you my entire collection before I came up here?

I need to catch up on The Boys, tis a great comic
zeden
Indeed, I've got your original copies bagged and boarded as well as my well worn Collectors Editions at mine.

And I'm not sure about your Wolverine theory by the way. If memory serves, when Magneto originally ripped the adamantium from Wolverine he did it by pulling it out of his pores, whereas his methods sound a fair bit more extreme in Ultumatum if his arm was all that was left. Wolverine survived thanks to Xavier mentally attacking Magneto just in time to stop the killing blow, wiping his mind and simultaneously planting the seed of evil that would become Onslaught.
At least that's what I remember, the whole thing took place just before I got into collecting X-Men.
Course, the easy answer is to look at Marvel.com -
During an encounter with the mutant Magneto on his space station called Avalon, Wolverine slashed Magneto with his claws. Magneto retaliated, using his powers of the magnetic field to tear the adamantium out of Wolverine's skeleton, causing extensive injuries. These injuries shorted out Wolverine's healing factor for a time, and Logan also discovered that the claws that he believed a result of the Weapon X project were in fact part of his actual bone structure due to his mutation.

So, it did bugger his powers but didn't actually kill him.
m0r1arty
In the recently released issue of Batman Confidential #34 "The Bear" makes an appearance!

Batman is in Moscow trying to track down a Tsar who is trying to make moves on running Gotham and the Tsar's main henchie is indeed a huge big beast called "The Bear".

At the moment it's unsure if Oxypheromalkahyde is the cause for it all, but the Bear does say the Tsar brings him "Fabergé".

I couldn't help but think of you guys when I saw this.

Plus Allo' Peeps! and sorry if this is in the wrong subforum.

-m0r
empathy-with-beast
Ultimates 3: Who killed Scarlet Witch?

By the end of Ultimates 2 the series was loosing its focus a bit: by the time we got to the whole business when a conglomeration of countries that America don't like very much forms a legion of evil to shit on America's head I was starting to hold the book at arms length, by the end of Ultimates 3the book wasx flopping about uselessly in my hands. Someone kills Scarlet Witch and people go to the Savage Lands and then there's dinosaurs and then there's a big teaming off fioght and then its all over and you realise the mystery has been extrapolated from a cross continuiy in joke from three volumes ago and you feel annoyed.

Its not really this thats the problem though, Ultimates worked because of some strong character choices: Ultimate Thor at his conception, for example,might have been a god or he might have been a deluded mental patient who thought he was a god...By volume three its pretty clear he is a god and so its just original Thor again but a Thor who says thee and thou because it makes him feel more comfortable about himself all interest in the character therefore evaporates. By the same token Captain America is fun because they really push the whole "He's from the 1940's!" thing where his olden time morals crash up against today. In vol. 3 the Wasp explains Captain America's issues with the possibility that brother and sister team Quicksilver and Scarlet Withc are slipping each other the family to his 1940's attitudes, rather than none era specific disgust ay sexual relations between family members, because y'know now in 2009 we're all totally down with incest, hell, I'm drilling my nephew as I write this, not that stuffy old Cap' would approve. characters have become mangled shadows of them former selves, either leached of meaning or flanderized beyond it

Also the sequencing looks like the opium dream of a four year old. You know how the sequencing is so good in the Killing Joke you want to masturbate to it? It's the opposite of that.

In a strange role reversal as the Ultimates moves closer and clser to needing to have an alien and a wizard in every issue,non-ultimate marvel turns out some mature and thought provoking TPBs like The Initiative. A simple but powerful premise: What if the government decided that all super powered people had to work fo them? leads to a lot of character driven story telling with some Marvel level political thugth thrown in, A light and well crafted litl exploration and I would definitely pick up this book again.
wampa1
I've tried reading the Ultimate universe stuff. The first Ultimates story was very good and I imagine they'll use that as the basis for the Avengers movie but I can never get around the fact that I'm reading a glorified Elseworlds series. I had a similar feeling when watching the new Star Trek movie - I enjoyed it and liked it very much but ultimately I just didn't care about anything that was happening because I knew that the 'original' characters were alive and kicking somewhere else.
empathy-with-beast
There was talk for a while that Ultimates would become the "main" storyline and the other universe would become the novelty item. I only got back into mainstream comics by way of the Ultimates because I was so turned off by the groaning backstories and the "do you remember the time we all went and met the Gods of Mount Olympus right after we got over our drug problems and went to the other side of a blackhole?" that is the life story of many long running Marvel characters. Ultimate characters are contained and more mundane, although this started to change when they allowed their first comic book death.
wampa1
Yeah, I get that it's easier for new readers to jump on board. I'm just not into watching 'copies' in alternate universes unless it's part of a novelty like the mirror universe in TOS & DS9 or whatever as opposed to something trying to pass itself off as just as valid as the 'prime' universe.

I think that the problem with any reboot of something as extensive and rich in history as the Marvel Universe is that eventually you end up in just a big a mess as what you rebooted.
mousespider
I think it's probably become easier to jump into the regular universe because if you don't know what someone is referring to, you can hop onto Wikipedia and have the answer within a few minutes. Although, this is coming from someone who has only dabbled in either universe.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (wampa1 @ Aug 9 2009, 12:53 AM) *
I think that the problem with any reboot of something as extensive and rich in history as the Marvel Universe is that eventually you end up in just a big a mess as what you rebooted.

Yep, one of the big turning points in Ultimate X-Men was when Beast turned out not to be dead. At that moment we knew al bets were off and the Ultimate line was going to follow its progenitor into comic book death wonderland.

I don't think I was making the point that the marvel universe history is long and complicated and thus hard to get into, my point was that the Marvel universe history is very long and fvery ull of a range of very stupid ideas piled one atop the other, and that the Ultimates managed to free itself from a lot of that stupidity.
angle
QUOTE (Douglas Nicol @ Jul 28 2009, 02:37 PM) *
I've been catching up on a lot of old 2000AD stuff. Graphic novels I've bought recently include....

Judge Dredd complete case files 1 and 2
Strontium Dog volume 2
All three collections of Nemesis the Warlock
The complete Ro-Busters
All 6 Rogue Trooper graphic novels from The Future of War to Real Politik

I would love all of these if i had the cash, used to love 2000adnot sure about the other stuff but it looks very interesting.
monkeyman
You could just download them until you can fford them
angle
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 10 2009, 06:57 PM) *
You could just download them until you can fford them

I didn't know they were online, ooh that's me off to do some googling, if you have any links to point me at i'd be very grateful.
curtinparloe
Just finished that big Essential Wolverine book. I suspect it would have been better in colour.
monkeyman
Yeah I hate that all the "Essential" bumper collections are black and white only. It sucks.
monkeyman
I read The Killing Joke again recently having not read it for a long long time and have to agree with EWB's comments about the sequencing.

I'm about to read Batman-Venom again, has anyone read it? I remember thinking it was something special when I was younger but I'm not sure if I was just easy to be amazed by things when I was younger or if it is actually good.
logger
Top 70 Marvel Panels

Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (logger @ Aug 31 2009, 05:12 PM) *

No, Cap. It now stands for 'Acquired by Disney'.
zeden
Just read all about the takeover. Can't help but worry that Disney will overuse the characters in liu of its own waning creations and truely run them into the ground once and for all. Suppose I can just be happy that apart from Garth Ennis' stuff I've not been overly impressed with Marvels output for the last few years so the likelihood of genuine disappointment and memory rape is low.
What does this mean for The Avengers movie though?
maian
Brian Lynch has been tweeting about the buy out

My favourite has to be "First Disney/Marvel collaboration: Hannah Montana refuses to reveal secret identity, goes to war with Iron Man. Iron Man wins easily."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.