Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Feb 1 2010, 11:57 AM) *
Doing interviews with Mark Millar this afternoon, including one for Titan's website. Anyone here got a pressing question on Kick-Ass (comic-related) that they'd like put to him?

This reminds me of going to see Alan Moore interviewed by Stewart lee when Lost Girls came out. Stewart Lee goes "now obviously we'd like to keep questions on Lost Girls, so if anyone wants to know who would win out of a fight between Swamp Thing and Doctor Manhattan...."
Sostie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Feb 1 2010, 11:57 AM) *
Doing interviews with Mark Millar this afternoon, including one for Titan's website. Anyone here got a pressing question on Kick-Ass (comic-related) that they'd like put to him?

Oooh! Can you ask him if he can reveal anything about Kick-Ass 2 ( if as indicated at the end of Kick Ass there is 2nd series)

Could you also ask him "can you sign this for Sostie, it was his birthday yesterday and he's a big fan" (it's worth a try)
Everlong
That would make a damned cool birthday present. I think I might pre-order the edition coming out on play on March 1st.

Apparently Scott Pilgrim Vol 2 has arrived at home, yay. Did Vol 1 in less than an hour this weekend, so enjoyable. Will be buying Volumes 3-5 at the end of the month.
ipse dixit
Details tbc, Sost, but he will be doing a signing at FP at some point, so I'll give you a heads up on that. Not sure what the score is with vol. 2... will see if it's something we're allowed to ask about.

Steve - got the Daily Mail Brigade question covered too - thanks.
Everlong
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Feb 1 2010, 04:10 PM) *
Steve - got the Daily Mail Brigade question covered too - thanks.

Ah, thought so! I'm captain obvious, ha.
Sostie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Feb 1 2010, 04:10 PM) *
Details tbc, Sost, but he will be doing a signing at FP at some point, so I'll give you a heads up on that. Not sure what the score is with vol. 2... will see if it's something we're allowed to ask about.

Thanks Ellie.

And on the subject of Kick Ass, Read the final installment, and it was of course as violent a expected. Overall I'd say it's a love it or hate it comic series. I loved it.
Everlong
Just finished 'vs the world' and loved it, even burst out laughing at a couple of panels and lines. Shame I've gotta wait a few weeks to catch up with the other 3 books.
monkeyman
In Waterstones there was a new Garth Ennis Punisher comic. It's a sequel/continuation of the (awesome) "Welcome back Frank" arc.....want!
Everlong
Scott Pilgim Volume 6 - 8th July 2010, apparently

Just a few weeks before the film, nice. Does the film end with 5 or are they doing their own endings?
maian
QUOTE (Everlong @ Feb 10 2010, 02:41 PM) *
Scott Pilgim Volume 6 - 8th July 2010, apparently

Just a few weeks before the film, nice. Does the film end with 5 or are they doing their own endings?

From the wikipedia page:

In May 21, 2009, comic writer and artist of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel, Bryan Lee O'Malley, confirmed on Twitter that no content of the sixth Scott Pilgrim volume would appear in the movie as filming on the movie had already began a month after the release of "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Universe" with no solid script yet written for the sixth volume. While he had given ideas and suggestions for the final act of the movie, he admitted to that some of those plans might change throughout the writing process and ultimately stated that "Their ending is their ending".
Everlong
Ah I see, didn't go to the wiki page as I've only read 1+2 and getting 3 after work, trying to avoid spoilers.
fatseff1234
I "legally acquired" Scott Pilgrim 1 just before christmas and have now just finished number 5. This is how life should be like. I need more!
Everlong
I did both volumes 1 and 2 in one sitting each. Started on 3 last night but it was late so got about a third through it.

I'll be getting 4 and 5 from either Waterstones, play.com, or Forbidden Planet early next month.

Then wait 4 months for volume 6, ha.
fatseff1234
Yeah, I did that. I think it was Christmas Eve. Blasted through the first two then lost my computer due to a virus, was bored last night so polished them off.

I wonder if there'll be more to come?

Maybe Ramona has another seven evil boyfriends from some alternate dimension in Sub Space?

Oh and book Fours "Ex" is sublime, although I totally saw it coming, but maybe I was meant to to show just how simple Scott really is?

Anyway, I would like to be Scott Pilgrim, would be AWESOME!
grumpygit
First Superman comic sells for $1m
ipse dixit
TONIGHT : Andy Diggle & Jock signing The Losers in Forbidden Planet London, 6-7pm

Info linky.
Everlong
I've never read that, I only know one person who has and loved it, I don't think I've ever seen it here.

I might actually finally buy Batman: Killing Joke at Forbidden Planet tomorrow, the special edition one is 11.99 there. I've wanted to read it for ages.
monkeyman
It is very good.
Everlong
Killing Joke or the Losers?
monkeyman
Killing joke smile.gif
Everlong
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 25 2010, 07:20 PM) *
Killing joke smile.gif

Ah good good, I know what happened to make Barbara become oracle, and that it all happens in Killing Joke, but never got round to reading it. Gonna get the special (or titan edition it says on FP's webby) edition, as it's 12 tops.

I might actually get that Losers book, will have a peek at it before and see. Well, possibly not as I want to get the other two Scott Pilgrims.
Everlong
EDIT: Double post (12 mins apart, wtf??)
Everlong
Read it, grabbed that and Kick-Ass, both special editions with added foreward stuff at the back.

Shorter than expected, but quite enjoyed it. Makes you feel sorry for and hate the Joker in equal measure, and a great take on Batman.

Going to make a start on Kick-Ass either tonight or tomorrow.
Everlong
After having them for over a week, I've finally read Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together & Vs The Universe.

As with the others, I enjoyed them, felt Vol 5 ended very interestingly, and can't wait to see Scott and Gideon face off.
ipse dixit
Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. will be signing Kick-Ass at Forbidden Planet (London, WC2H 8JR) on Sunday, 2-3pm.

Only UK signing we're doing with the pair of them, so make the most of it. Should be a big one.
Everlong
Agh, feckballs, I can't really spare any money, I may well have gone to that too. Not long started reading Kick-Ass.
Everlong
This just popped up on Twitter..

Scott Pilgrim 6: Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour revealed.

Love the cover, shame it's a wait until July!
fatseff1234
Me likey.

Go on Scott!
fatseff1234
Planning on re-reading The Darkness Compendium (#1-#40) on a camping trip this next weekend after reading the Darkness vs Batman cross over.

Jackies uncle Franc(h?)etti decides to try and take on New York. Whilst there he encounters Two Face, Cat Woman, Killer Croc and yes, The Bat himself.

A great little cross over piece from Batman's view.
maian
I got back from the Meet yesterday to discover that my copy of Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour had arrived, but, being a bit tipsy and quite tired, I put it aside. This morning, I woke up and tore through it.

It's very, very good. A satisfying conclusion to the series and, whilst I'm disappointed that my theory that "the glow" and Ramona's emotional state in Vol 5 suggested that she was pregnant turned out to be complete bullshit, I thought the way the book ended was much more affecting. After five books, I'd much rather Scott actually, naturally grow, rather than be forced to grow up by the arrival of a child in his life. The more enigmatic ending - Scott and Ramona heading off together into the unknown and uncertain future, battered and bruised but together - is much more poignant and fitting given the rest of the series.
Sostie
I'm sure I'll be in the minority, and I can't put my finger on why, but I found the final installmaent of Scott Pilgrim utterly underwhelming
weputthemdown583
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 26 2010, 09:03 PM) *
I'm sure I'll be in the minority, and I can't put my finger on why, but I found the final installmaent of Scott Pilgrim utterly underwhelming

Me too. It seemed like not much really happened. Scott tries to get with his exes. Scott goes North. Scott fights Gideon. Scott gets back with Ramona.
It was funny, but I was slightly disappointed. Still can't wait for the film though.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 26 2010, 09:03 PM) *
I'm sure I'll be in the minority, and I can't put my finger on why, but I found the final installment of Scott Pilgrim utterly underwhelming

I thought it was fabulous! I liked the feeling of a last act that made up the first half of the book, tying up threads one by one like a mini road movie. The showdown was exciting and fun and sweet and crazy, just as it should have been. And (in contrast to Ed!!!lol) I thought Scott's development - or lack of it - was pleasingly realistic. That sort of bittersweet observation is one of the series' best traits: people are fucked up, carry baggage, have mean friends and say stupid things - but they muddle through and try their best and hope to find the person that's right for them. Sniff.

Big praise for the art again... O'Malley is so joyously inventive and visually literate that it's practically like watching a movie. But one that couldn't be filmed. Except by Edgar Wright. Possibly.

I'm going straight back to read the series again.

^LEVEL UP^
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 28 2010, 08:25 PM) *
And (in contrast to Ed!!!lol) I thought Scott's development - or lack of it - was pleasingly realistic. That sort of bittersweet observation is one of the series' best traits: people are fucked up, carry baggage, have mean friends and say stupid things - but they muddle through and try their best and hope to find the person that's right for them. Sniff.

We neva agree lolz!

To clarify, I was not disappointed with the character development, just that my own pet theory was shot to pieces. I thought that the gradual growth of Scott over the course of the series, and this book in particular, has been beautifully handled, and I was glad that the change in him was not drastic but it was crucial, and it came from his own realisation, rather than the external factor that my silly theory included.
bigfatrich
The Walking Dead: Can anybody point me in the right direction for the best place to start with this series? I've been reading the buzz about the TV series and would like to get into it a little more.
Sostie
QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Aug 16 2010, 10:34 AM) *
The Walking Dead: Can anybody point me in the right direction for the best place to start with this series? I've been reading the buzz about the TV series and would like to get into it a little more.

From the beginning. I'd say get yourself the first TPB.
maian
Definitely the first TPB, called "Days Gone Bye." It's essentially one long story, so starting in the middle would be disorientating. The storytelling is so strong that you'd be able to pick it up if you started later, but you need the first issues to get to know the characters and get a sense of where they are coming from.
bigfatrich
TPB? Sorry, I'm not up with the lingo smile.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Aug 16 2010, 11:51 AM) *
TPB? Sorry, I'm not up with the lingo smile.gif

Trade Paperback - individual issues collected in one book. Some call them graphic novels but they are very wrong.
bigfatrich
Cheers. Found it on Amazon.
melzilla
I've just finished Number 4 and I can heartily recommend them so far! Waiting 'til I'm not so skint and buying the next four.
Everlong
I'm looking to read that at some point before it's on TV (well a couple of volumes at least), good to see so many like it, so at least it looks like I'm in for a good read!
Julie
I discovered the '70s Marvel comic Night Nurse a while back, but only recently started looking into finding it.

Now, I've decided I must have all four issues.

Please, keep your eyes open at your car boot sales and such for me, lovelies.
melzilla
QUOTE (Julie @ Aug 17 2010, 04:35 PM) *
I discovered the '70s Marvel comic Night Nurse a while back, but only recently started looking into finding it.

Now, I've decided I must have all four issues.

Please, keep your eyes open at your car boot sales and such for me, lovelies.

Amazon UK currently has Issue #3 available. Which ones do you need?
monkeyman
I sat down yesterday and read a whole bunch of comics. I got through all of Crossed I''d read up to 4 and zedens given me the rest. Twas damn good. Brutal as all hell but really good. The last few panels were especially cool the writing wasn't the best, but the general story, characterisation and violence was awesome.

Then started rereading The Boys. I'd read up to 16ish before I caught up with current releases; I'm at 19 of 43 so still have a good chunk to get through. I'd forgotten how much I like this comic. Butcher is awesome and There's something quite touching about the relationship between The Female and Frenchie. Great stuff so far.

When I've finished the boys I'm going to reread The Walking Dead, I'd read up to 40ish on that so will have plenty to catch up on.
Julie
QUOTE (melzilla @ Aug 17 2010, 11:59 AM) *
Amazon UK currently has Issue #3 available. Which ones do you need?

I've only got the first one, but I'm trying to find them in decent condition. I'll have a look at amazon.co.uk. Thank you!
Sostie
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 18 2010, 11:20 PM) *
I sat down yesterday and read a whole bunch of comics. I got through all of Crossed I''d read up to 4 and zedens given me the rest. Twas damn good. Brutal as all hell but really good. The last few panels were especially cool the writing wasn't the best, but the general story, characterisation and violence was awesome.

Crossed is now finished and damn it was a brutal series. I think Crossed:Family Values, the current spin-off, is equalling if not surpassing te original series in its sickness.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 18 2010, 11:20 PM) *
Then started rereading The Boys. I'd read up to 16ish before I caught up with current releases; I'm at 19 of 43 so still have a good chunk to get through. I'd forgotten how much I like this comic. Butcher is awesome and There's something quite touching about the relationship between The Female and Frenchie. Great stuff so far.

The film is now in development and of course Pegg is rumoured to be playing Hughie.

QUOTE (Julie @ Aug 18 2010, 11:27 PM) *
I've only got the first one, but I'm trying to find them in decent condition. I'll have a look at amazon.co.uk. Thank you!

Issue 1 is a $100 comic! I only have issue 3, but will keep an eye out for you.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Books 3 and 4 of Scott Pilgrim have arrived today. That's what I'm going to do this afternoon, after Neighbours.
Julie
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 19 2010, 04:03 AM) *

Thanks, love!

I've found an issue 1 that claims to be in Fine/Very Fine condition for relatively cheap, but we'll see when it arrives.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 19 2010, 10:03 AM) *
Crossed is now finished and damn it was a brutal series. I think Crossed:Family Values, the current spin-off, is equalling if not surpassing te original series in its sickness.

The film is now in development and of course Pegg is rumoured to be playing Hughie.

I'll have to check out family values. I know it's not written by Ennis but the guy who's taken over was approved by him as I understand it. There's apparently a Crossed movie in the works too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.