Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
monkeyman
The Boys strength seems to be a bit...inconsistent at times? Like, Butcher can take out some supes but gets his ass kicked by a group of measly crackheads? Bit weird but oh well. Herogasm made me chuckle, them killing Payback was brutal and awesome too
monkeyman
Sorry for the triple post (I really wish we could edit posts here);

Finished all of my issues of The Boys (up to 43) some awesome revelations. Particularly the images butcher has of Homelanders....episode. They were fucked up. And it seems Homelander is really gonna go ape at some point soon and completely not hive a fick about Vought American (and why would or should he care). Really looking forward to seeing what happens next. Hughie and Butcher saving Super Duper was fantastic too

I've started on my re-read and catchup of Walking Dead. First time through I didn't realise how weak a lot of the dialogue and exposition is in the first few issues. After that I know it picks up though. Again, really looking forward to rereading and catching up on it and seeing where it goes.
melzilla
Finally read the final Scott Pilgrim and absolutely loved it. In a way, it was a lot 'deeper' and more thought provoking than I expected it would be, which was a really pleasant surprise, but it was also delightfully executed and, in my opinion, a perfect ending to the saga. Very happy indeed.
bigfatrich
Bought and read Days Gone Bye. Have ordered 2 & 3!
I love the way that things really quickly turn to shite in zombie-related stuff.
bigfatrich
Vols 2 & 3 arrived today. Sweet smile.gif
Everlong
Waterstones near work has several volumes (for near enough the same price as online!). So tempted to buy the first couple of them, but I shouldn't really spend any more money. This is skint month for me.

I shall ponder on it. Can always buy a few volumes on my next payday.
ipse dixit
First issue of CLiNT is on sale today, featuring the first pages of Kick-Ass 2, the whole first issues of Nemesis and Turf, and Frankie Boyle's strip 'Rex Royd'.

Mark Millar and Jonathan Ross are signing in London Victoria station today at 4.30.

Sostie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Sep 2 2010, 02:38 PM) *
First issue of CLiNT is on sale today,

The girl in Orbital was telling me that they hadn't had any copies yet because newsagents were being distributed them first! If this is true, talk about shit on your fanbase.
Rebus
Just employed the "fuck it" clause and bought The Walking Dead Compendium 1, really looking forward to burying myself in it for the next few days...or however long it takes to get through. I knew the wife wouldn't be too happy with me splashing out so much, so some Preacher Gone To Texas appeased her.

Looking forward to the WD show that's coming soon as well, good to see Simon from Teachers getting a bigger break.
monkeyman
Walking Dead is incredible. I'm really excited for the show too; I'm glad it's getting shown in England.

I've heard really good things about Alan Moores swamp thing, has anyone read it? I was hoping the entire run he did would be collected in one big book, but I can't find one anywhere :/
maian
It is a very good run, he does some really interesting things with the character and invents John Constantine in the process, so it is well worth checking out.

As far as I'm aware, you can't collect them in single volumes, but you can get them in several volumes, all of which are collected under the banner of "Saga of the Swamp Thing."
Hobbes
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 2 2010, 08:00 PM) *
I've heard really good things about Alan Moores swamp thing, has anyone read it? I was hoping the entire run he did would be collected in one big book, but I can't find one anywhere :/

I've heard this as well, might well check it out when I get hold of some money. Alan Moore is a brilliant man, after all.
NiteFall
I know I've mentioned it before, but here are some true things about Alan Moore-

monkeyman
Heh, those are good. Are there any more kicking about do you know?

If we're posting comics featuring Alan Moore.....

Favourite of mine
Rebus
So I've just finished my Walking Dead Compendium, anyone heard any word on Compendium #2?
Jimmay
QUOTE (Rebus @ Oct 7 2010, 01:31 AM) *
So I've just finished my Walking Dead Compendium, anyone heard any word on Compendium #2?

Fraid not, but I've just finished Vol 12 which ends when Rick decides that he is going to steal the guns from the armoury in the community and I assume take it over by force I'm not sure if I like where it is going now though, but have found myself reading a volume a night for the past couple of weeks, resulting in some very late school nights. It's still fantastic but the end of this volume has really made me wonder whether I want to see where this goes. Volume 13 comes out in mid November so I don't have too long to wait.
Ade
A friend of mine has lent me Volumes 1-10 of The Walking Dead. A bit of catching up to do, then.
monkeyman
Interesting....I've just gotten hold of Alan Moores run of Swamp thing (I want to try before I buy); was looking through Waterstones here and they've got nice (expensive) hardback copies of it. Is it the anniversary or something? Seems odd that they just happened to be stocking such an old comic; even if it is a nice reprint
maian
I think it's because it's considered a classic run of the comic, rather than because there's an anniversary.
monkeyman
Fair enough; just thought was an odd coincidence that it was there when I've just been talking about it and I've never seen it in any shops before. Looking forward to getting into it smile.gif
Everlong
Kapow! ComicCon, London Business Design Centre 9th-10th April 2011

Mark Millar has been tweeting about it these last couple of weeks. I'm personally going to wait to see what other guests will be there (though it's looking good already) but I thought you guys would like to know, if you hadn't already heard about it.
ella
Cheers Everlong - will probably have a wander along to that.

Steve and I have recently decided that our relationship has reached the level that we can make the hige commitment of pooling our comic collections.... ;-)

Seemingly the only comic vendor in the Thames Valley area is a stall on the Saturday market in Wycombe. We have bought him out of bags and boards and now have a nicely stored collection of about 350 between us. Mostly Image, plenty of DC and the odd Marvel and Indie. Spent Steve's birthday in the comic shops of Manchester adding to the collection as well. DMZ, the Walking Dead and Spirit being the newest additions. Along with the start of Northlanders, a chunk of Lobo and Fray from the lovely market comic man.

Ade
While comics have never really been 'my bag', I am currently galloping my way through The Walking Dead series that my friend lent me - six volumes out of ten already - good stuff. Can't wait for Darabont's adaptation to arrive on DVD.
Starscream`s Ghost
I've been catching up on Green Lantern, seeing as I've started to purchase it regularly now, starting with the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night.

It's very good.
monkeyman
Can you recommend some good story arcs for GL? I've been interested in getting into it for a while but I'm not sure where to start.

I've been reading a lot of comics recently. Might post my thoughts later.
Silky
100 bullets is quite possibly my absolute favourite. Followed very closely by Fables.

Also a huge fan of The Walking Dead, Preacher, and Hellblazer.
A friend of mine used to hang out with Garth Ennis. True story.
Sostie
I honestly thought Crossed and the follow up Crossed: Family Values pushed the depravity envelope as far as it could go. Wrong. The new seies Crossed: Psychopath opens with a moving depiction of a gang bang involving 4 men, a vulture and a dead stag!
NiteFall
I just finished reading Stormwatch, and it really does undergo a noticeable increase in quality when Warren Ellis takes over and starts setting up for Planetary and The Authority.
Silky
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 23 2011, 02:00 PM) *
The new seies Crossed: Psychopath opens with a moving depiction of a gang bang involving 4 men, a vulture and a dead stag!

Just an average night out in Essex there.
Not even a weekend.
GundamGuy_UK
I went on a Batman binge and bought Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum, and Long Halloween.

I just need to get The Killing Joke now.
Anything else you guys would recommend?
Silky
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 24 2011, 04:44 AM) *
I went on a Batman binge and bought Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum, and Long Halloween.

All those ones. Secrets is pretty good. As is Gotham by Gaslight, a 'what-if' Victorian Batman.
monkeyman
I really enjoyed "Hush" Joe.

spoilers ahead probably.

Old Man Logan
Its the future, Wolverine has aged, his healing factor has degraded, nearly all the heroes have been killed and Logan won't fight for a reason you don't find out until later.
Mostly good, at least in terms of concepts and some of the events. Mark Millars dialogue and narrative text is nearly always terrible and it's no different here but the overall story, and especially the event that occurs that makes Logan never want kill again was awesome. It did end a bit flatly though

Exiles
A bit like Sliders or Quantum leap. Marvel heroes are pulled out of their realities to help fix anomalies in reality that could cause the end of realities/universes. Once the problem in one reality is fixed they teleport to the next to fix it. If one of the members dies they are replaced by someone else.
This was 100 issues long and I'd say about 85 of them are really damn good, evoking some of the same feelings I got when reading the Age of Apocalypse saga for the first time.
In other places some of the arcs go on too long, or seem pointless or are just dumb; and towards the end of the run the writing is awful, characters act and talk differently from how they have in previous comics and it's quite jarring.

I guess it suffers slightly from the fact that some of the roster is always changing, so you care less for newer members until they are inevitably replaced; Morph is never (really) replaced though and it's always great reading a comic with Morph in.

Oh it also suffers a bit from the fact that between issue 99 and 100 there is a crossover comic (5 issues "X-men die by the sword") you are supposed to read to understand the 100th issue, I didn't have these at the time so it felt like such a damp crappy way to end.

There are lots of cool moments: John Proudstar (turned into War by Apocalypse) defeating The Hulk, Sabretooth becoming "The Silver Sabretooth", Hyperion in every comic he's in. Proteus messing everyones day up,a world of Wolverines, Galactus the healer of earths...

Excellent overall. And really cool seeing alternate reality versions of well known heroes/villains (much like in AoA [In fact Blink and Sabretooth from AoA feature predominantly]).

World War Hulk
Meeeehhh.
Excellent idea, executed terribly.
Basically in the comics (Planet Hulk) preceding this collection; Stephen Strange, Tony Stark, Reed Richards and Black Bolt trick the Hulk into entering a ship which they fire into space, it's meant to land on a planet empty of "intelligent life" and just have plants and animals, it somehow ends up landing on a planet full of warriors ruled by a king who makes the Hulk fight in gladiatorial battles.
The Hulk eventually kills him, becomes king, gets a wife and knocks her up; then the ship he arrived in explodes killing his wife, unborn child and millions of others.
He blamed Stark etc so heads to earth for vengeance.
It's just shoddy. I read it expecting to see some cool fights but there's barely any, or they happen "off screen".
Hulk goes to Black Bolt first, Black Bolt uses the full extent of his power, we see the Hulk getting knocked back....then it essentially cuts to New York and Hulk holding Black Bolts battered body up threatening to do the same thing to the world if Stark etc don't hand themselves over.
I wanted to see the fight and how the Hulk beat him. There are some cool fights but there's far too much of that. And the series really consists of so many crossover comics with the art and writing all over the place I just didn't really enjoy it.
Hayleigh and I had a good laugh at the sound effects when he's fighting sentry at the end. I believe one of them was "Vajzzzzzzzzzzz"

Just read the Wikipedia Synopsis, it's better.

Batman: Year One
Excellent read (Tis only 4 issues), I didn't realise how much Batman Begins had taken from it. Gordon is a badass too.

The Dark Knight Returns
I read this a long time ago and didn't remember much of it.
It's very good, even if the art Is a bit dated. It's always fun to see Batman beating the shit out of Superman.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again
It's a sequel to Dark Knight returns and it's bloody awful. Terrible writing, story and the art in particular was just horrible. There's a few good moments like the start with the atom fighting bacteria in a Petri dish and a few other interesting concepts but mostly; it was just a disappointing mess.

I started reading the Knightfall saga (the one where Bane breaks Batmans back). I thought I'd read this before but I don't recognise any of it. I was trying to figure out why Batman was wearing an armband with the Superman symbol on it then realised it must be taking place at the same time (well, just after) the Death of Superman. So I've decided I'm going to read that next and then hop back over to Batman and read No-Mans land.
Knightfall is awesome right up until Bane Is defeated by Azreal and now I've just lost all interest. I'll probably stick with it as I want to see Bruce Waynes return to Batman, but it's become a bit boring.
Also, in places it's incredibly camp.

Uh....apologies for the big Walls of text and probably using the words "good", "cool" and "excellent" far too much.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 22 2011, 03:58 PM) *
Can you recommend some good story arcs for GL? I've been interested in getting into it for a while but I'm not sure where to start.

I started off with the 'Sinestro Corps War' special, which then led on to GL #21. Then onto all of Blackest Night. (It's all in TPB, I found it online too if you want to try before you buy).
Hobbes
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 24 2011, 04:44 AM) *

Killing Joke, Long Halloween and DKR are all absolutely excellent. If you like Long Halloween, check out Dark Victory, which is another Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale collaboration which I enjoyed very much.
GundamGuy_UK
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'm probably just going to read those four and then buy another batch of four or five after that.

I might get The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen too, because I've been wanting to read it for a while now. That's two books, isn't it?
maian
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 24 2011, 06:41 PM) *
I might get The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen too, because I've been wanting to read it for a while now. That's two books, isn't it?

Two and a bit. There's the first two volumes, then The Black Dossier, which fills in background information linking those to the third book, Century, which consists of three comics, only the first of which has so far been released.
Hobbes
Alan Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing is also excellent. Think there are four TPBs out there (someone knowledgeable ie Sostie confirm this). I've got and read the first two and they're ace. When I get some money (if this ever occurs) I'm definitely investing in the other volumes, it's good stuff.
Sostie
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Feb 24 2011, 07:40 PM) *
Alan Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing is also excellent. Think there are four TPBs out there (someone knowledgeable ie Sostie confirm this). I've got and read the first two and they're ace. When I get some money (if this ever occurs) I'm definitely investing in the other volumes, it's good stuff.

Not sure how many volumes in TPB form there are (I have the actual comics rather than te books). Four sounds about right. I do know Moore's run covered issues 21-64.

And God bless you sir for calling them TPBs and not graphic novels.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 24 2011, 08:01 PM) *

I learned from the master. Also Stress Wolf & Chutney Ferret will surely get collected into TPBs someday in the future?
Everlong
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 24 2011, 08:01 PM) *

See, even though I'm not an expert on TPBs and the terminology, ages ago a friend reckoned that I was wrong to refer to my Watchmen copy as a 'Trade Paperback'.

Am I differentiating the two terms right? I thought Watchmen and other instances where books are a collection of issues was a TPB, and a Graphic Novel was a one-off (like Sin City stories). I've slipped and referred to different things as graphic novels before though, oops. I get terms wrong. I'm the first to admit I'm no expert on comics.

Speaking of which, I reckon I might buy the Walking dead compendium Vol. 1 tomorrow. I only tend to read them at home so size is no issue.
maian
I've always held that a graphic novel is a self-contained story that has a beginning, middle and end that was conceived as such, so even if it was released as separate issues then collected, it is still a single work and would be considered a graphic novel. Trade paperbacks, therefore, would be collections of issues in an ongoing series that has no such defined arc.
Sostie
QUOTE (Everlong @ Feb 24 2011, 10:32 PM) *
See, even though I'm not an expert on TPBs and the terminology, ages ago a friend reckoned that I was wrong to refer to my Watchmen copy as a 'Trade Paperback'.

QUOTE (maian @ Feb 24 2011, 11:15 PM) *
I've always held that a graphic novel is a self-contained story that has a beginning, middle and end that was conceived as such, so even if it was released as separate issues then collected, it is still a single work and would be considered a graphic novel. Trade paperbacks, therefore, would be collections of issues in an ongoing series that has no such defined arc.

Not in my world sonny. When I were a lad I waited over a year and a half for that bloody comic to finish

Even TPBs have story arcs. Most collections contain a continuing story within a series. For example, Batman: Year One is 4 issues within the ongoing Batman series.

Watchmen certainly wasn't intended to be read as one volume . The symmetry of issue 5 shows that - something that works brilliantly in a single comic but not so well as a chapter in a book. Moore was always a few issues behind schedule and in the early stages doubted he had enough material for 12 comics - he was sort of making it up as he went along. Also at the time the graphic novel wasn't that well established and not seen at the time by publishers as profitible as comics

Graphic Novel was a lazy term used mainly by the media and retailers to promote and profit from the comic boom which was in part kicked off by the reception of the Watchmen the COMIC, (not the book/TPB/Graphic Novel or what have you).
monkeyman
Really interesting interview with Alan Moore
He's busy!
GundamGuy_UK
So is anyone reading any of DC's New 52?

I've tried out Action Comics, Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, and Justice League. After a couple of issues I decided to drop Dark Knight and Detective Comics, because following three Batman stories at once was getting confusing and they weren't quite as good as Batman.

Action Comics is definitely the stand-out title for me. Grant Morrison bringing Superman back to his roots in a contemporary setting. I tended to not like Superman because he's invulnerable to everything but Kryptonite. Morrison's Superman can take a mighty pounding, but he still gets hurt. He bleeds, he gets shocked, he is visibly injured by all the stuff thrown at him, and that just makes it more interesting. It's gorgeous to look at, too.

I've not seen any comics in stores, but the DC Comics app on iOS is very good for reading them on, and is updated pretty much as soon as new issues come out.

gulfcoast_highwayman
I enjoyed Batwoman, and Justice League. Wether they will keep my attention depends.

I adored Legion: Origins. It's proper old skool LSH.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 4 2011, 08:46 PM) *
So is anyone reading any of DC's New 52?

I've tried out Action Comics, Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, and Justice League. After a couple of issues I decided to drop Dark Knight and Detective Comics, because following three Batman stories at once was getting confusing and they weren't quite as good as Batman.

Action Comics is definitely the stand-out title for me. Grant Morrison bringing Superman back to his roots in a contemporary setting. I tended to not like Superman because he's invulnerable to everything but Kryptonite. Morrison's Superman can take a mighty pounding, but he still gets hurt. He bleeds, he gets shocked, he is visibly injured by all the stuff thrown at him, and that just makes it more interesting. It's gorgeous to look at, too.

I've not seen any comics in stores, but the DC Comics app on iOS is very good for reading them on, and is updated pretty much as soon as new issues come out.

It's been so long since I've actually purchased comics. I'd be interested, but the price came as a bit of a shock 2.49 for a single digital issue? I know it's not much really, but it is too much for me.
Superman seems really interesting, but the writing in the Batman sneak peak I read was atrocious.

Also, what happens if you stop using ios devices in. The future? Is the DC app cross platform?
GundamGuy_UK
It works with Comixology or whatever it's called, which is on iOS, PC, and Android.
monkeyman
Oh cool then.

They really should price all comics at .99p. They'd sell shitloads
GundamGuy_UK
If they did that, nobody but serious collectors would buy the paper comics.
Silky
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 5 2011, 11:56 PM) *
If they did that, nobody but serious collectors would buy the paper comics.

But they wouldn't need to spend as much on production.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.