Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
spacegurl
Roman Dirge's Lenore.
Stantz
just got Shaun of the Dead. great artwork love it.

got a punisher graphic novel and Walking dead vol3
maian
Reading Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Frank Miller is great. I know that they all pretty much follow the same plot of revenge but that doesn't stop the books from being really good reads.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 14 2005, 09:44 PM)
Reading Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Frank Miller is great. I know that they all pretty much follow the same plot of revenge but that doesn't stop the books from being really good reads.

Among my usual purchases today I bought Frank Miller's new Batman & Robin comic issue 1, and the first issue of Serenity. Looking forward to reading them.

And the latest issue of Walking dead out today too - brilliant as usual.
whitey
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 14 2005, 10:48 PM)
Among my usual purchases today I bought Frank Miller's new Batman & Robin comic issue 1, and the first issue of Serenity.  Looking forward to reading them.

Give us a capsule review when you've read em. I'll probably wait for the TPBs though, I can't keep up with individual issues any more.
Lee
Just read the GLA: Misassembled (Great lakesAvengers) very funny, great spoof on the whole superteam genre and Squirrel Girl and Monkey Joe is just genius.

Before that I read Deadpool & Cable which is worth reading just for Deadpool's quips.
Zissou
I got 'Scott Pilgrim's precious little life' yesterday. its quite funny.
Withnail
QUOTE (Stantz @ Jul 2 2005, 09:17 PM)
i read that the other day, Frank miller classic.

The sequel sucks though.
pump.up.the.jam
just finished 'bear' by jamie smart, bloody hillarious laugh.gif
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (pump.up.the.jam @ Aug 3 2005, 04:25 PM)
just finished 'bear' by jamie smart, bloody hillarious laugh.gif

I thought the Bear was by Tim Bisley.
pump.up.the.jam
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Aug 3 2005, 03:30 PM)
I thought the Bear was by Tim Bisley.

i know the guys who did the comic art in spaced did some 2000 ad stuff but does anyone know any other comic artists who do anything like or similar to the stuff in spaced?

huh.gif too many anys.........
whitey
QUOTE (Withnail @ Aug 3 2005, 04:10 PM)
The sequel sucks though.

I like it.
superfurryandy
In a fit of nostalgia I bought 35 issues of Crisis and 22 of Hate off ebay for a combined price of around 25 quids including P & P.

Of course, I once had complete sets of both before throwing them out. And Deadline.

I am idiot.
Sostie
QUOTE (whitey @ Jul 14 2005, 10:13 PM)
Give us a capsule review when you've read em. I'll probably wait for the TPBs though, I can't keep up with individual issues any more.

Hmmm..Batman & Robin is OK. The first issue seems to centre more around Vicki Vale (who looks like a Playboy model) who has her first meet with Bruce Wayne. Batman himself only appears on 1 page! But he does look very Dark Knight in it

QUOTE (superfurryandy @ Aug 3 2005, 05:50 PM)
Of course, I once had complete sets of both before throwing them out.  And Deadline.

I am idiot.

You fool man. I got 60 for issue 1 (or is it 2) with first appearance on Tank Girl. The magazine was great if only for the Jamie Hewlett covers.
Silky
Currently on my comic book reading list.

Preacher - Until the end of the world. (Reading my way thorugh the series yet again.)
Sin City - The Big Fat Kill (again)
Fable (first time)
100 Bullets (first time)
whitey
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 3 2005, 07:29 PM)
The magazine was great if only for the Jamie Hewlett covers.

Everything Hewlett put his hand to was pretty damn great. With the exception of post-Martin Tank Girl. They were awful.
Amazongirl
Ive just finished Vol2 of Dr Slump and the first 2 volumes of GTO

Both manga books btw
tameblue
Just bought the Watchmen for my brother...quality stuff.

And yes I did read it before wrapping it up!
Shrubbery
Y - The Last Man: Unmanned

I was forced to borrow it and it was quite good.
Will probably be checking out more.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (tameblue @ Aug 4 2005, 07:13 PM)
Just bought the Watchmen for my brother...quality stuff.
And yes I did read it before wrapping it up!

I've got an issue #1 signed by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons from back in the day.
Sean of the Dead
I'm planning to get Watchmen and V for Vendetta next week, now to find the cash...
m0r1arty
I'm currently reading the last issue of Northern Lightz....soon to be rebranded as Wasted
Sostie
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Aug 4 2005, 07:23 PM)
I've got an issue #1 signed by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons from back in the day.

Ditto, but without the Alan Moore signature, but with a little Rorshach by Gibbons
Lee
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Aug 5 2005, 11:20 AM)
I'm currently reading the last issue of Northern Lightz....soon to be rebranded as Wasted

I've just googled that, something about the title caught my interest. Thanks for the heads up, I now want to buy these.

Are you familliar with Pete Loveday's stuff or the Furry FreakBrothers or are you more into the Superhero pastiche elements of Northern Lightz?
m0r1arty
QUOTE (Lee @ Aug 5 2005, 01:46 PM)
I've just googled that, something about the title caught my interest. Thanks for the heads up, I now want to buy these.

Are you familliar with Pete Loveday's stuff  or the Furry FreakBrothers or are you more into the Superhero pastiche elements of Northern Lightz?

Kinda know the guys that write it, that was their last issue of Northern Lightz. A whole gang of writers/artists/comic dudes meet up in Glasgow on the first Wed of every months. Alan Moore sometimes comes along. In fact theres a new Superman strip getting done through in Edinburgh just now (s'ppose to be good ig your into that kinda thing).

I'm more into anything that (ahem) expands my ways of perceiving the universe. So it ranges from comics to philosophy, intoxication to good food, reading to coding. There was a good comic called Electric Soup out a few years back, you might like that if your into the whole counter comic culture.

Don't know much about Pete Loveday as yet but will look into it. I'm reading Warren Ellis: Planetary just now, thats great, it has a very dark twist on popular comic culture, has a foreword by Joss Whedon applauding it too.

take it easy

-m0r
Sean of the Dead
I finished Watchmen yesterday. Wow. 'Twas incredible, I really enjoyed it. I'm really intrested in how Rorschach and Dr. Manhatten will be portrayed in the movie.

And I'm definitely getting V for Vendetta at the weekend now.
kitty_b_wonderful
I used to read my brother's and I'm not brave enough to go to the comic book shop. I just buy 'graphic novels' from amazon. I love the Sandman series and The Invisibles and I wept when I read Maus. I've now got Blue Monday, V for Vendetta, Jack Staff and Ghost World lined up in amazon - any more recommendations?
super_horse
I know it doesnt really class as a comic but i'm in the middle fo reading 'Alan Moore: Portrait of an extraodinary gentleman' its really good so far, its a collection from loads of comic book writers/artists and it gives a very interesting inside view of the comic industry.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (kitty_b_wonderful @ Aug 11 2005, 08:48 PM)
I used to read my brother's and I'm not brave enough to go to the comic book shop. I just buy 'graphic novels' from amazon. I love the Sandman series and The Invisibles and I wept when I read Maus. I've now got Blue Monday, V for Vendetta, Jack Staff and Ghost World lined up in amazon - any more recommendations?

Watchmen. You get now, please.
super_horse
'Top ten' my favourate alan moore after watchmen, try ebay u can usually pick them up alot cheaper than amazon
Stantz
SuperMan Red Son,

superman lands in russia instead of the USA,

good book.
kid_koala
reading top 10. yet more super duper work from my main man Alan Moore. really detailed, and crazy crazy stories. everyone in megalopolis has super powers, and it's about the a police station within the city! just ordered the second volume from my library, and apparently it's better than the first!! laugh.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (kid_koala @ Aug 26 2005, 12:23 AM)
reading top 10. yet more super duper work from my main man Alan Moore. really detailed, and crazy crazy stories. everyone in megalopolis has super powers, and it's about the a police station within the city! just ordered the second volume from my library, and apparently it's better than the first!!  laugh.gif

Have got all but one issue of Top 10. So I read the first 3 and never got round to getting issue 4 so I could read the rest. Should get off my fat arse and get it, because up to that point it was one of my fave Moore comics.
rebelstar
Just read the Hellboy 2 parter The Island - 'twas good. And now I'm starting the first two volumes of The Losers, which I've had sitting around for ages and haven't got round to.
maian
QUOTE (Stantz @ Aug 25 2005, 12:35 PM)
SuperMan Red Son,

superman lands in russia instead of the USA,

good book.

Isn't there another one where he lands in England? That one's meant to be really good as well.
ella
Reading the TokyoPop Sneaks books that I got free at Memorabilia. Trying to save the Love Hina and Chobits until I go on holiday.

The sneaks book is great - little snippits of manga comics. I now have a long list of manga to buy!
Stantz
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 1 2005, 03:08 PM)
Isn't there another one where he lands in England? That one's meant to be really good as well.

really i'l have to check that out.

i got the first collection of the Max Punisher comics today..
Sostie
Today read the latest issue of Walking Dead...pure class.
pots
my latest cartoony purchase was 'krazy and ignatz, the komplete kat komics 1925-26'. a collection of george herriman's cartoon strips about krazy kat and his love for ignatz the mouse. a love repaid in bricks to the head. like this.

super_horse
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 1 2005, 04:08 PM)

This?

writed by Monty Python scribe Kim Howard Johnson no less
maian
QUOTE (super_horse @ Sep 2 2005, 10:43 AM)
This?

writed by Monty Python scribe Kim Howard Johnson no less

and Monty Python cast member John Cleese. That is indeed the one I was thinking about. It got a very good write up when it was released and I've meant to get a copy for a while. Manybe I'll get Red Son first though.
m0r1arty
Just got me a copy of this!

-m0r
Raven
I notice SFX have a review of an adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere this month - does anyone know if there are any plans for this to be issued in one volume at a later date?
Amazongirl
I posted about my book in Books

Also found a mint condition Bucky o'Hare annual
Sean of the Dead
Picked up Batman:Officer Down from the school library today, hope to give it a flick through tonight.
Sostie
IDW is becoming one of my fave comic publishers.
Not only are they doing Shaun Of The Dead (issue 3 picked up today) and Angel comics, but also bought Shadowplay written by Amber Benson, and Spike and The Keep comics are on the way too.
Injektilo
Well, just got the Sin City DVD/comic boxset, so I'll be reading The Hard Goodbye, Big Fat Kill and That Yellow Bastard tonight!
Sean of the Dead
Picked up Swamp Thing by the mighty Alan Moore from the library today.
jem
i foud a couple of stacks of the new teen titans collecting dust in salvation army. terra and raven were so cool... it makes me want to puke when i think about the animated version.
also my old copies of young justice (tease me about liking that series and i cant really do anything, but yeah) and x-men. personally i like pheonix better than jean.
Jubei
Has anyone read 'The Walking Dead'? Its a really good comic series, I've read the first three volumes so far. The second one includes a nice article by Simon Pegg at the end as well.

Also, has anyone read Techjacket? Looks quite interesting but I haven't got round to purchasing it yet.

Both are by Robert Kirkman.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.