Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Sostie
QUOTE (Jubei @ Sep 30 2005, 10:00 AM)
Has anyone read 'The Walking Dead'?  Its a really good comic series, I've read the first three volumes so far.  The second one includes a nice article by Simon Pegg at the end as well.

Yup..every issue so far. My favourite comic at the moment and the only one I have top read straight away....and every month you are almost guaranteed a reference/mention of Shaun & Pegg in the letters page smile.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
I`m waiting for IDW to get up off their arses, and get the new Transformers comic up and running.

Having seen much of the first issue already, I know I won`t be disappointed.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 30 2005, 11:20 AM)
Yup..every issue so far.  My favourite comic at the moment and the only one I have top read straight away....and every month you are almost guaranteed a reference/mention of Shaun & Pegg in the letters page  smile.gif

Me three.

I gave up on collecting full time about 7 years ago, I've still got 3000 or so comics in my house though.

I went into Forbidden Planet in Leeds to get the George Romero zombie comic but counter bloke said the Walking Dead was better. He wasn't wrong. It's great.
kitty_b_wonderful
Oh god, V for Vendetta was amazing. looking forward to getting Watchmen now.
I have just read Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth. It's difficult to read, but I think it's worth persevering with. It is depressing but if you can get into that sort of thing, then it's a really good read. I nearly wept. And then I read then author's note at the end and discovered it's semi-autobiographical : (
You've probably covered this already, but the complete Maus is another Depressing but thoroughly enjoyable graphic novel.
I've got Ghostworld next on the list, then Watchmen.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (kitty_b_wonderful @ Sep 30 2005, 05:31 PM)
Oh god, V for Vendetta was amazing. looking forward to getting Watchmen now.
I have just read Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth. It's difficult to read, but I think it's worth persevering with. It is depressing but if you can get into that sort of thing, then it's a really good read. I nearly wept. And then I read then author's note at the end and discovered it's semi-autobiographical : (
You've probably covered this already, but the complete Maus is another Depressing but thoroughly enjoyable graphic novel.
I've got Ghostworld next on the list, then Watchmen.

I'm so envious. I wish I could read V and Watchmen again as if it was the first time I'd seen them.

You should try Miracleman next, if you've not already done so.
zeden
I have one comic for you all...American Splendour. It is without a doubt the most insightful, funny and poetic literature I've ever read. There are currently 2 compilations available in UK book stores and they're both fried gold.

On a completely different comic subject, I've recently been reading the Berzerk and Battle Royale mangas. Truely great stuff. Highly recomended. Anyone else read them?
rabbit57i
Not reading this myself, just thought some might be interested.
The COMPLETE Calvin & Hobbes: new 1,400 page book of every panel ever published.
Douglas Nicol
Managed to get hold of my comic collections from the loft, the following..................

Judge Dredd graphic novels-The Apocalypse War, Necropolis, Tale of a Dead Man, The Angel Gang, Democracy Now, Blind Justice.

My Married with Children comic collection..

Indiana Jones collection from Dark Horse, any Indy fan should check these out. Indiana Jones and the Sargasso Pirates, Fate of Atlantis, Arms of Gold, Spear of Destiny, The Golden Fleece, Thunder in the Orient, Iron Phoenix.
Stantz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 29 2005, 12:38 PM)
IDW is becoming one of my fave comic publishers.
Not only are they doing Shaun Of The Dead (issue 3 picked up today) and Angel comics, but also bought Shadowplay written by Amber Benson, and Spike and The Keep comics are on the way too.

Dont they do the silent hill comics and the legend 3O Days of Night and its followups?
Jessopjessopjessop
Coming this month, part four of Simone Lia's super 'Fluffy' series*:

*Of special interest to HellsWatts. biggrin.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
Still waiting for IDW's version of Transformers to surface. At least they have Furman writing for them.

Speaking of which, any Death's Head fans out there? The newly penned Amazing Fantasy DH story by Furman should be out soon, too.

Something else to spend money on, yes?
HellsBells
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 14 2005, 02:07 PM)
Coming this month, part four of Simone Lia's super 'Fluffy' series*:

*Of special interest to HellsWatts.  biggrin.gif

yay! I still have number three to catch up on, so some double purchasing may be in order. hoorah.
maian
Read V For Vendetta last week and my lord it's great! Which makes me even more worried about film version actually being any good.

Finished Book 6 of Akira about 2 weeks ago and I loved it, the whole series was great, but I'm still somewhat flummoxed and confused by it all. Looks like I'll have to make those covert comics and coffee trips to Waterstones yet again.
m0r1arty
I love the picture in Book 1 of Tetsuo riding the clown gang leaders bike, you know he has his arms folded.

The books far outway the film,

And I loved the film

-m0r
maian
I loved the film as well, and I still do, but I find it slightly unsatisfying now having read all the books and knowing (but not wholly understanding) the plot. But then again I realise that they couldn't have fitted it all into one film so it's still a fine piece of work.
m0r1arty
The films sits quite nicely by itself. Great film! In fact thats all I had of it until about 3 years ago. Then my mate nips back from Canada (no shit) with book 1 - well a whole can of worms later I'm amazed.

The amount of sub-plots, twists and turns is fantastic.

It does take a few reads though (well for me) to feel at ease with it.

I'm lucky though, My mate has them all now, all I've got to do is find a Robert Rankin book he's not read to borrow them smile.gif

Glad you liked it, Get to Waterstones/Borders early and find a comfy chair.

-m0r
maian
That's the plan. Costs quite a bit in coffees, but does save a hell of lot on comics. Too bad they don't have Batman: Year One in stock at the moment since that was next on my list. I'll probably start on the Watchmen next since it's by Alan Moore (loved V For Vendetta, as previously stated) and has a had a few good mentions on here.

I don't know why I resisted reading comics for much of my life up until now (except for Sonic The Comic when I was little), there so entertaining and interesting, and occasionally downright affecting.
m0r1arty
Year One, one of the best damn graphic novels your ever likely to read.

Year Two, PISH!

You done Dark Knight Returns yet?

-m0r
maian
No, the Waterstones in Sheffield isn't great for comics, and what few comic stores I know of don't take too kindly to me walking in with a coffee, sitting down and reading!
m0r1arty

Libraryman, Libraryman

Does whatever a Library can

Reads a book,

Books a read,

Nips out back to smoke some weed

Look out

Here comes the Libraryman -up

There goes the Libraryman - up

There goes the Libraryman (*Odd harmonics on this one)

-So, In conclusion; get to the library - They've got tons of comics, and you can book or order others in!

-m0r
maian
The theme tune for Library Man sounds like Kevin Smith might have written it, especially the 'smokes some weed' bit.

Hmm, the library might be a good idea. Now if only I knew where it was. I know where the Uni library is but I'm pretty sure they don't have any comics in. Unless there's a course to do with them mellow.gif That would be so sweet biggrin.gif
m0r1arty
'I made this' should have appeared after that song, cause I did.

Libraries in Sheffield are found by clicking on this full stop

^

And here is a small listing of the books by Alan Moore that Sheffield has to offer.

-m0r
maian
Wow, thanks for that. When I get back I'll check out some of those places and get hold of some of the books. Unless unimportant things such as Uni stuff doesn't get in the way.
m0r1arty
Libraryman looked at the setting sun. He could go home now, his job was done. Another pair of eyes will be squinting tonight, crawling their glare over words.

Yes, being a superhero can be hard. But when you have touched a life, it is worth end.

END
super_horse
i finished reading superman redson the other day and i really really liked it, i'd say it should get the same recognition (sp?) as Alan Moore's superman storys, as its of the same quality.
benbert
I got a big stack of (fairly) old BTVS comics the other day which I'm slowly getting through, the majority of which are very good, there are much less relationship bits compared to the way the show went and many more big pointy sticks in the chest, great.
NiteFall
Well, I just got my grubby little mitts on all of Jeff Smiths fantastic Bone, all of The Ultimates, most of Ultimate Iron Man wriiten by Orson Scott Card and most of Neverwhere (which drove me to downloading the BBC production of it). I think I have enough comics to be getting along with for at least 3, maybe even 4 days.
empathy-with-beast
Ultimate Iron Man? Has that been trade paperbackedyet? I love the Ultimates but only tend to read TPB's so am absolutly dying to know what happens to Thor, who the wolf in the fold is, whether Captain America's powers really are decreasing etc etc etc.

Also, NEVERWHERE!!! Man that was a franchise nobody siezed upon (mainly because much of the T.V series was crap) but I loved with a passion. Is it a comic now? Is it just a retelling of the novel?
NiteFall
Yeah, it's a monthly on DCs Vertigo label. Very good, mostly because Neil Gaimans writing's so fantastic. Oh, but the TV series was great. It just suffered from being made on a budget of 38p and 1/2 a curly-wurly.
empathy-with-beast
But is it just the same story being given its fourth outing? I thought Croup and Vandemeer (sp?) were great in the T.V series, it was just budget dependent stuff like the beast that let it down. Where did you download from?
NiteFall
Bittorrent. And yes, it is just thye same story, only in yet another format.
Jinx
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 22 2005, 07:35 PM)
Bittorrent. And yes, it is just thye same story, only in yet another format.

I thumbed through a couple of issues of Neverwhere - it looked like Gaiman's story, except a little more fleshed out. Hence the writing credit for Mike Carey. I didn't really like Neverhwere - I thought it was highly overrated.

Carey closes out his run on Hellblazer in December. Apparently a crime writer called Denise Mina is taking over. Anyone read anything by her? Amazon bills her as the female Ian Rankin.

New Year's resolution. Curb my spending on comic books.
Rah
I am reading:

Spawn
Uncanny/Unlimited/Ultimate X-man
Incredible Hulk
Amazing/Ultimate Spiderman
Ultimate Fantastic Four
The Ultimates
The Ultimate Galaktus bits
Wolveirne

Just finished House of M and Age of Apocalypse
Crutch
I am about to read the Sin City comics. Have to slose this hole in my pop-cultural-knowing.
maian
I read Batman: Year One the other day (three times in fact, it's that fucking good) and started to read Maus by Art Spiegelman.
Crutch
Maus is a good one. A intersting, artistic attempt to deal with the holocaust.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 23 2005, 12:38 PM)
Maus by Art Spiegelman.

I've got a signed copy of the collected Maus! Not read it though...
ella
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 22 2005, 02:01 AM)
Well, I just got my grubby little mitts on all of Jeff Smiths fantastic Bone ..... and most of Neverwhere

I love Bone! Picked up the first couple of volumes cheap at the last Memorabilia show. Will be looking for more this weekend.

And Neverwhere? I never knew that was available in graphic novel form. The book is one of my favourites. Who does the art?
Jinx
QUOTE (ella @ Nov 23 2005, 02:44 PM)
And Neverwhere? I never knew that was available in graphic novel form. The book is one of my favourites. Who does the art?

Glenn Fabry
ella
Cheers Jinx - just checked out his website. Nice stuff.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 23 2005, 12:38 PM)
I read Batman: Year One the other day (three times in fact, it's that fucking good) and started to read Maus by Art Spiegelman.

It's like your reliving my salad days as a comic fan in the 80's!
maian
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Nov 23 2005, 03:35 PM)
It's like your reliving my salad days as a comic fan in the 80's!

For a second there I thought you said I was reliving my days as a comic fan in the 80's, which confused me since I was 3 when the 80's ended, and if I did like comics then it was probably because they were easier to chew than books.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Full apologies for the missuse of 'your' in my post.

My head is hung in shame.
maian
All is forgiven for reading great comics. Though others might not be so forgiving...
Crutch
Just started to read "Preacher." It's exactly my thing and I like it, that it is not operating on any level of high art, but gives you pure hard-nosed, white trash, modern myth psychedelica.

"And the only boy, who could ever teach me..."
Baz
I've just finished reading the first 4 volumes of "The Walking Dead" great comic, that seems to hitting all my buttons when it comes to zombies. This would make a great TV show. Love the darkness to it and rashness of some of the characters. Also good to see that the writers are not scared to kill of a few maion characters ever now and then.

Can't wait for the next volume.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 25 2006, 09:13 PM)
I've just finished reading the first 4 volumes of "The Walking Dead" great comic, that seems to hitting all my buttons when it comes to zombies. This would make a great TV show. Love the darkness to it and rashness of some of the characters. Also good to see that the writers are not scared to kill of a few maion characters ever now and then.

Can't wait for the next volume.

Amazing coincidence, I was just coming to post about that very volume.

Is it the last. The ending had a bit of a conclusion-y feel about it. I checked in Forbidden Planet but there doesn't seem to be any new comics.
maian
My parents got back from holiday in Florida and brought back Dark Kbnight Returns, Superman: Red Son, and Superman: True Brit. Fuckin' A.
Crutch
I didn't like the style the Walking Dead was done, but tell me, how deep does the story go? Is it worth the while? And I think, the series is still going on.
Sostie
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 26 2006, 02:06 PM)
Amazing coincidence, I was just coming to post about that very volume.

Is it the last. The ending had a bit of a conclusion-y feel about it.

Issue 25 came out last week, and it looks like it will run and run. From indications in the letters pages it seems it may well become a genuine on-going series - there is no projected end of run.

I'm tempted to buy the books myself as the first few issues go for 3 figure sums, but I think I'll hang on to them for the moment as I usually prefer the idividual issues to collected volumes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.