Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Jubei
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 26 2006, 02:06 PM)
Amazing coincidence, I was just coming to post about that very volume.

Is it the last. The ending had a bit of a conclusion-y feel about it. I checked in Forbidden Planet but there doesn't seem to be any new comics.

Ha, doubley conincidence. having noticed that this thread had been somewhat resurrected of late, I was going to ask if anyone else had read any of these. Imagine my surprise when I see there are now 4 volumes available. I've read the first two volumes, i think... last i remember was about the prison. They'd found a nice safe place to hole up, only to be turned on by the prisoners, who they kinda mistreated. If I remember rightly, the end of the volume had the prisoners pointing guns at them in a to be continued kind of way?
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Crutch @ Jan 25 2006, 08:35 PM)
Just started to read "Preacher." It's exactly my thing and I like it, that it is not operating on any level of high art, but gives you pure hard-nosed, white trash, modern myth psychedelica.

"And the only boy, who could ever teach me..."

I used to really like Preacher, but upon rereading recently I've started to think that Jesse is a bit too much of a straight boy wank fantasy, discuss? The final scene with the Saint of Killers is one of my favourites of all times and the series has some great set pieces.

Waking Dead I'm loving too, although as I only purchase graphic novels (yes, I know heretic etc) I'm left wondering where its going to go next. The last volume had an awful sense of them being becalmed in the prison slowly destroying themselves and I'm hoping volume five leads off in another direction now.

Cant wait for the third volume of Top Ten to come out, and the fourth volume of Ultimates.

recently read the Ultimate annual 1: Spiderman very good, x-men good, Ultimates very good, fantastic four O.K. And the Thirty Days of Night annual, which was ok, but I'm wondering how long the series will last if it keeps on developing vampire culture and turning the series into a cheap version of the Vampire the Masquerade universe.
whitey
I don't like Garth Ennis.

-edit-

No wait, Ennis is alrightish, it's Grant Morrisson I can't stand.
Baz
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jan 26 2006, 03:51 PM)
Ha, doubley conincidence. having noticed that this thread had been somewhat resurrected of late, I was going to ask if anyone else had read any of these.  Imagine my surprise when I see there are now 4 volumes available.  I've read the first two volumes, i think... last i remember was about the prison.  They'd found a nice safe place to hole up, only to be turned on by the prisoners, who they kinda mistreated.  If I remember rightly, the end of the volume had the prisoners pointing guns at them in a to be continued kind of way?

That's Volume 3 I think.

QUOTE (Sostie)
Issue 25 came out last week, and it looks like it will run and run. From indications in the letters pages it seems it may well become a genuine on-going series - there is no projected end of run.

Fantastic!

Although I don't want to buy the single comics, I'd rather buy them in the Volumes, so I'm gonna have to wait a bit for Vol.5 to come out. what is it. 6 single comics to a volume I think.
Jubei
QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 26 2006, 08:07 PM)
That's Volume 3 I think.

You might be right, volume 1 ends with the kid shooting the other guy, and volume 2 ends with them spotting the prison over the brow of a hill..?
Ingram
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 26 2006, 06:33 PM)
it's Grant Morrisson I can't stand.

Really? I thought Arkham Asylum was pretty good, McKean's art was excellent too.
Jinx
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 27 2006, 12:44 PM)
Really?  I thought Arkham Asylum was pretty good, McKean's art was excellent too.

I think Grant Morrison is good when he's boxed in - either by character constraints or limited issues. His run on X-Men, for example, when he probably was given pretty strict guidelines on what he could and couldn't do, is one of the best that book ever had. When he's limited to three issues, he does some of his best work (Sea Guy and We3 were easily two of the best books of 2004.

When he's given free reign, however, he churns out stuff like the Invisibles, which I didn't really rate.
Douglas Nicol
Heh, I've got some of Grant Morrisons first ever work. Anyone remember Starblazers? The Commando comic sized sci-fi books that came out between 1979 and 1989 (approx), some of Grant Morrisons first work was in that for the princely sum of 50. I got him to sign the ones he'd done.
whitey
Morrisson's like an Alan Moore tribute act. I read an interview with him where he basically reiterated all of Moore's ideas about magic and the imagination as if they were his own. The Invisibles stunk to high heaven.
Ingram
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 27 2006, 06:20 PM)
Morrisson's like an Alan Moore tribute act.

A hard act to follow, but there again if you could imitate any one in comics ... it would be Alan Moore.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 27 2006, 06:20 PM)
Morrisson's like an Alan Moore tribute act.

Almost everything is a Moore tribute act, basically by asking the question "hey, what if supe-heroes were real?" Moore has basically got all the "adult" super hero comic book writers answering this essay question he has set them over and over again, unable to match the the answers he gives in the form of Watchmen and Top Ten.
maian
Does anyone know if Moore took inspiration for Watchmen from Batman: Dark Knight Returns? They both seem to deal with the idea of superheroes retiring then returning and getting a similar reaction from the public, as well as the returns having more important ramifications for the Cold War. Moore's world is more expansive and complex than Miller's but there do seem to be a large number of similarities between the two.

Edit: Thoroughly enjoying Superman Red Son, the in-jokes are balanced with a superb story and the look of the book is such a great pastiche of Soviet propaganda.
chadbeserk
Just got Batman: The Killing Joke out from the library. Haven't read it in years. Still great. Shame it's on the short side.

By the way, does anyone know what issue Wolverine got his adamantium back? I lost interest soon after he lost it.
Amazongirl
Angel by Erica Sakurazawa

Got a few of her books (ok 2) but this is her first in the series I only got last week.

People with problems like lonelyness, misstretement and los get visited by a stray angel that likes gin and lime. Really cool

Got to finish off my dissertation this week wich is on how/if manga has changed other comics industry
Crutch
Ordered "A history of violence."
whitey
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 27 2006, 09:49 PM)
Almost everything is a Moore tribute act, basically by asking the question "hey, what if supe-heroes were real?" Moore has basically got all the "adult" super hero comic book writers answering this essay question he has set them over and over again, unable to match the the answers he gives in the form of Watchmen and Top Ten.

Most people bring something of worth to the table with them though. Morrisson brings sweet fuck all. He's arse.
empathy-with-beast
Y: The Last Man I keep on buying and reading it, but I have this constant nagging feeling its shit and I'm waiting for it to get better. I can't actually think of a bit of it that sticks in my head, and the Amazons seemed kinda a crude idea....Comments?

QUOTE (maian @ Jan 27 2006, 09:54 PM)
Does anyone know if Moore took inspiration for Watchmen from Batman: Dark Knight Returns?

Doesn't Watchmen predate DKR? I find them quite different, one steeped in the back history of an established universe, filled with immesurably powerful super beings, the other one in which the superhero experiment is a relatively new arrival and is dying a mundane faddish death.

QUOTE (chadbeserk @ Jan 30 2006, 01:22 PM)
Just got Batman: The Killing Joke out from the library. Haven't read it in years. Still great. Shame it's on the short side.

Excellent piece, perfectly formed
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 30 2006, 08:13 PM)
Most people bring something of worth to the table with them though. Morrisson brings sweet fuck all. He's arse.

Spot on. I thought Arkham Asylum was a load of lovely looking tosh. Morrison wishes he had half the talent Moore has. Or Gaiman for that matter.
whitey
Gaiman has something going on but he doesn't seem to know what it is and can't generate it at will. I'm not entirely sure what it is but I know he can hit even if he's more miss.

The Killing Joke is one of my all-time favourite comics and certainly the best Batman comic I've ever read (better than Year One? 'fraid so).

DKR predates Watchmen by a few months. Not enough for there to have been any cross-pollination.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I preferred Moore's take on Batman when he put him in Swamp Thing, the Killing Joke left me a bit cold. The Bolland artwork was lovely but it just didn't do it for me like other Alan Moore stuff of that era did.
whitey
No. I won't hear a word against it. I also find it one of the most emotionally involving Batman stories out there. I've spent about ten minutes trying to explain why but can't do it without just reiterating huge chunks of the actual comic. Give it a re-read maybe and really focus on the interplay between Bats and The Joker.
NiteFall
Decided to pull my big stack of Ennis and McCreas quite wonderfully amoral, twisted but above all fucking hilarious Hitman out of my cupboard for a re-read. Just as great as I remember it being, particular highlights so far being the Dr Seuss styled rhyming christmas issue and the "Zombie Night at the Gotham Aquarium" storyline. Oh, and of course the fabulous Section 8.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 31 2006, 12:24 AM)
Give it a re-read maybe and really focus on the interplay between Bats and The Joker.

The ending with the laughter, and the sequencing. I'm with Whitey here. But then I like Bane so what do i know?
chadbeserk
I guess that's the main reason The Killing Joke is held in such high regard. It delves into the relationship between two bitter enemies and their mutual hatred and reliance on each other. Life has made them who they are. They are not as polar opposites as it looks on the surface. Both tainted by tragedy, both in their own way perceived as "insane". Both wear masks that have become who they are. A truly great story. I just didn't want it to end. My second favourite Batman story after Dark Knight Returns.
empathy-with-beast
Dark Knight just didn't speak to me as much as it seems to have done for everyone else.I don't know why. I think my favourite work is probably the second volume of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I enjoyed Dark Knight returns but it was a little over-hyped. I still think Millar's Born Again arc on Daredevil was his best work.
Ingram
Killing Joke is still on my theoretical 'to read' pile. Speaking of which anyone recommend any Superman's... I know "True Brit" and "Red Son" but I'm looking for an alpha as opposed to a DKR style omega... something like "Year One" but Supe's instead of the Bat.
Douglas Nicol
Does anyone know if there are anymore Emma Frost issues due in the pipeline. I know some people regard them as a bit rubbish, but the story isn't really that bad.
whitey
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 31 2006, 07:50 PM)
Killing Joke is still on my theoretical 'to read' pile.  Speaking of which anyone recommend any Superman's... I know "True Brit" and "Red Son" but I'm looking for an alpha as opposed to a DKR style omega... something like "Year One" but Supe's instead of the Bat.

A Superman For All Seasons by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Not in the same league as Year One by a long shot but definitely worth a read. The Man of Steel by John Byrne (1986) is worth looking into as well. There aren't as many good Supes stories as there are Bats. He doesn't lend himself well to deconstruction or re-imagining. I think writers always want to focus more on Kal-El than Clark Kent and I reckon that's a mistake, personally. Batman's interesting side is his drive to be Batman at the expense of Bruce Wayne's life, Superman's interesting side is his subconscious desire to be more like a human being.
MikeN
I'm currently enjoying Morrison's "All-Star Superman", it's moving along at a gentle pace but it's streets ahead in terms of imagination and quality in comparison to the awful "All-Star Batman & Robin". For me Morrison's crowning glory will be the Zenith series from 2000AD, it was the first of his stories I read and it became my favourite 2000AD series ever.

I've also been reading "The Walking Dead" & "Supreme Power : Nighthawk". I felt that TWD had really ground to a halt once the characters fortified themselves within the prison. The tension seemed to evaporate out of the story once they had found a refuge. However the climax of issue #25 promises big changes. SP:N has been a great read and it's gotten me eager for the start of "Squadron Supreme" in March.
chadbeserk
I read a Superman graphic novel not so long ago, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called. It was based in the "real world" where Superman is the fictional icon that he is and it follows the story of a "real life" Clark Kent who grows up resenting his heroic namesake but finds that he has superpowers of his own and becomes "realitys" Superman. It was a very moving story but I can't remember what the hell it was called. If someone knows, put me out of my misery.
maian
Bought and Read The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume 2 today and I was amazed to see that it was equal to if not better than the first. Absolutely brilliant in terms of plotting, character development and look with some stunning illustrations of the Martians decimating England .. It was also nice to play 'spot the reference' all the way through, there's still some I have no idea about but that's just a good reason to find out about them.
Woobus
QUOTE (holly @ Nov 13 2004, 07:10 AM)
anyone got any recomendations?

I lost a bet and now I have to read the entire Spider-Man Clone Saga.

This is not a recommendation as much as a warning.
chadbeserk
I recommend DC's "Kingdom Come" and Marvel's "Marvel". Both goodies.

EDIT: And "Love and Rockets" and definitely one of my all time favourites (if you can find it) Ivan Brunetti's "Schizo"....Hey, any comic with a story called "The Nun With Two Dicks" is automatically a classic.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 1 2006, 11:49 PM)
Bought and Read The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume 2 today and I was amazed to see that it was equal to if not better than the first. Absolutely brilliant in terms of plotting, character development and look with some stunning illustrations of the Martians decimating England .. It was also nice to play 'spot the reference' all the way through, there's still some I have no idea about but that's just a good reason to find out about them.

Didn't you just love Hyde's story line?

Hello old chap, welcome to England.
maian
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Feb 2 2006, 10:37 AM)
Didn't you just love Hyde's story line?

Hello old chap, welcome to England.

Yeah, although some parts of it were quite disturbing. You can probably guess which Hyde bit I am referring to. Alan Moore is one of the few writers who consistently surprises me with what he is prepared to have characters do.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 2 2006, 05:05 PM)
Yeah, although some parts of it were quite disturbing. You can probably guess which Hyde bit I am referring to. Alan Moore is one of the few writers who consistently surprises me with what he is prepared to have characters do.

It was perfectly within Hydes character I thought, not Preacher-esque gratuitousness.
maian
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Feb 2 2006, 05:12 PM)
It was perfectly within Hydes character I thought, not Preacher-esque gratuitousness.

Oh it was definitely something that I thought Hyde would do, it just didn't seem as if it would actually happen, if you see what I mean. It was in his character to do so, but it's not soemthing that you expect will actually be put into print.
Baz
I gave in waiting for Vol.5 of the Walking Dead and brought issue 25. Great read and once again leaves a good cliff hanger. I want issue 26 now. biggrin.gif
Home-Sliced06
Getting into Hellblazer. Admitting a very guilty pleasure of the Marvel Zombies series as well at the mo Kirkman doing a good job of showing the marvel heroes as flesh eating zombies story doesn't seem to be going no where but Galactus is on his way.

"I ate my wife and my aunt. Oh God why did I do that?"

Worth checking out for the spoof covers especially the New issue 1 reprint Spiderman variant. *geek mode overoad*
maian
Started reading the Preacher books (hence my change of avatar) and I'm absolutely loving them. Violent, interesting, beautiful, ugly, genuinely freaky in places, the books have all these and more going for them. Superb stuff.
curtinparloe
Just read Ancient Joe, by C. Scott Morse. It's pretty good, all existential and shit.

And I got it from The Works under the "3 comics for a pound or 50p each" offer biggrin.gif

I also got Volume 2 of Bone and a couple of single issues - Action Comics (Supergirls) and No Honor, just for research.
I also got the Spidey book there, although I'm still searching for Strontium Dog stuff...
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 7 2006, 06:00 PM)
Started reading the Preacher books (hence my change of avatar) and I'm absolutely loving them. Violent, interesting, beautiful, ugly, genuinely freaky in places, the books have all these and more going for them. Superb stuff.

Possibly my favourite ever series of comics. The whole Angelville sequence is heart-stoppingly, gobsmackingly good.
Baz
Issuse 26 of The Walking Dead is now out. Got it today and it's a good read, but the nest 2 issuse will have a massive story change according to the back of the comic.

Also has anyone read The Exterminators? It's only on issue 3 but it is supposed to be good with some great art work.
Bish0p
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 18 2006, 10:10 PM)
Issuse 26 of The Walking Dead is now out. Got it today and it's a good read, but the nest 2 issuse will have a massive story change according to the back of the comic.

Also has anyone read The Exterminators? It's only on issue 3 but it is supposed to be good with some great art work.

I just got the compilation book 4. It is one hell of a comic series. Massive story change? Can things get any worse? Damn.
I've been doing a painting of one of the panels from the book which I may post over in the crative thread at some point.
Baz
QUOTE (Bish0p @ Mar 19 2006, 02:18 AM)
I just got the compilation book 4. It is one hell of a comic series. Massive story change? Can things get any worse? Damn.
I've been doing a painting of one of the panels from the book which I may post over in the crative thread at some point.

Book 4 only goes up to issue 24, so you need to go and get 25 & 26 unless you can wait till May which is when book 5 is suposed to come out.
Sostie
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 18 2006, 09:10 PM)

It's the only comic I buy that I have to read straight away. It's had me hooked since issue 1. Can't wait to see what they have lined up. I have total faith in them not to come up with something stupid.
Baz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 19 2006, 05:38 PM)
It's the only comic I buy that I have to read straight away.  It's had me hooked since issue 1.  Can't wait to see what they have lined up. I have total faith in them not to come up with something stupid.

I have an idea of what is going to happen, involving the people from the helicopter and the character with the sword. (Can't remember her name of hand) That's what I've been lead to believe anyway,

You should check out www.tonymooreillustration.com and go to the gallery where you can see all the covers he has done for the Walking Dead.
Sostie
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 19 2006, 06:40 PM)
I have an idea of what is going to happen, involving the people from the helicopter and the character with the sword. (Can't remember her name of hand) That's what I've been lead to believe anyway,

You should check out www.tonymooreillustration.com and go to the gallery where you can see all the covers he has done for the Walking Dead.

Great site. Thanks. May also have to start get The Exterminators too.
Baz
The Exterminators looks really good and Tony's art is supposed to be fantastic, especially in issue 3.

Shame my local comic shop does have it. Going to have to get a copy of eBay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.