Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 15 2006, 09:46 AM)
Isn't The Superhero Registration Act the name of the legislation in The Incredibles? Or am I just getting confused about the fact that that storyline is, in essence, the basis of The Incredibles?

I'm not sure if that's the same name, but I have a feeling it's not. They didn't have to be registered in The Incredibles, they had to cease working as Superheroes to avoid being prosecuted for past incidents. I don't think they're being forced to stop superhero work in Civil War, just give up their secret identities and be categorised as a weapon of mass destruction.
curtinparloe
That's just silly.

Everyone knows that the bad guys won't register anyway, making the law a nonsense. It just stops the superheroes from doing their jobs properly.
It'll be interesting to see how they reassert his anonymity, otherwise every Tom Dick and Harry Osbourne will go after his friends and family...
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Jun 15 2006, 11:11 AM)
It'll be interesting to see how they reassert his anonymity, otherwise every Tom Dick and Harry Osbourne will go after his friends and family...

He could always say he was delirious from flu, and made a mad claim to being Spider-man, or something... It's worth it being a permanent feature just to see the look on J. Jonah's face.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 15 2006, 11:18 AM)
He could always say he was delirious from flu, and made a mad claim to being Spider-man, or something... It's worth it being a permanent feature just to see the look on J. Jonah's face.

He'd surely demand all the money back for the photographs - "You took photos of yourself, why should you get paid for that?!" laugh.gif
Stantz
I finally got all the parts of "the other" story of spider-man, it was ok and i think its cool that he has new powers, i dont like the new iron costume, but its good that it can change to look like his other suits.

Im now also up to date on the Marvel Knights and Amazing spiderman comics after a bit of a spending spree, Im really getting into this civil war storyline.

I also got Punisher: the slavers, which is pretty cool. and i got the third Spike Vs Dracula, which i also enjoyed i didnt however like the artist in the first few pages of the comic, i didnt even realize till later that it was spike, im glad that they went back to the orignal artist cause i think is better. The best bit of SvD was on of Oz's releatives made a guest apperance.
Crutch
Just finished V for Vendetta. It bored me from start to finish. It may have had it's appeal in the 80s but it gives me nothing nowadays. And I think the story isn't told very well after the first act. Finally Allan Moore managed to let me down.
maian
QUOTE (Crutch @ Aug 4 2006, 08:10 PM)
Just finished V for Vendetta. It bored me from start to finish. It may have had it's appeal in the 80s but it gives me nothing nowadays. And I think the story isn't told very well after the first act. Finally Allan Moore managed to let me down.

A story about a government commanding its people through fear and surveillance? The age-old sentiment of ''one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter''? Surely you can see some relevance to the modern age in it?

Though I do agree that the story is a bit disjointed due to the prolonged amount of time when it wasn't being made (about five years, I think) I still think it is a great piece of dystopian literature.
Sostie
Civil War...I'm with the rebels. Never thought I'd side with Cap America over Spider Man
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 4 2006, 09:19 PM)
Civil War...I'm with the rebels.  Never thought I'd side with Cap America over Spider Man

Have they started doing collections of that now or is it still being printed? Sounds intriguing.

When I head off to Sheffield tomorrow for the weekend I'm going to try and grab a copy of Top 10 after Lewis enthused about it so much at the London Meet.
Starscream`s Ghost
Transformers: Stormbringer

Furman again writes for Transformers. Sheesh, the guy must never stop. I think he has about 3 or 4 stories on the go right now.

Plus Figueroa's art. Man, that guy can draw.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 4 2006, 09:29 PM)
When I head off to Sheffield tomorrow for the weekend I'm going to try and grab a copy of Top 10 after Lewis enthused about it so much at the London Meet.

Top Ten: Beyond The Furthest Precinct, not written by Alan Moore, wasn't very good.
Crutch
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 4 2006, 10:05 PM)
A story about a government commanding its people through fear and surveillance? The age-old sentiment of ''one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter''? Surely you can see some relevance to the modern age in it?

Though I do agree that the story is a bit disjointed due to the prolonged amount of time when it wasn't being made (about five years, I think) I still think it is a great piece of dystopian literature.

It's more that it has no relevance for my life. I like the whole theatre-theme, but that was all. And to see Brits in Nazi-uniforms isn't really original.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 4 2006, 08:29 PM)
Have they started doing collections of that now or is it still being printed? Sounds intriguing.

No collection yet. Up to issue 3 and I have read 1 & 2, and so far I think it'll be a winner.
Baz
Still going with the Walking Dead series. Got issue 29 today.
Stink_Palm
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 4 2006, 08:29 PM)

Hey, I get my comics from Sheffield too biggrin.gif
zeden
Marvel Villains Unite!
biggrin.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (Baz @ Aug 5 2006, 07:55 PM)
Still going with the Walking Dead series. Got issue 29 today.

Best comic EVER.
bunnyoku
lone wolf and cub series starts off a bit hack and slash 'em but gets bloody brilliant towards the end when you start to understand the samurai mindset. Well, ogami's idea of it anyway. I find transmetropolitan (is that what its called?) interesting. Walking dead is good fun, are they still at the prison?
Preacher is a great series (my avatar should show i go all japanese school girl at its mention) but i feel that a few pages at the ending was a bit shit. nice round up, but the heaven thing was always a bit poorly handled. wanted a bit more between jesse and him upstairs
I've not read it but is there supposed to be a comic of the bible but in a big brother style near future?
Watchmen, the sandman library and the dark knight returns are boom-ting

does anyone remember a strip in 2000ad (during a gory period) about a real hard man that lived in a council estate, had two massive pitbulls and fucked princess di and fergie. Big Ed? i don't know, that was fun though, not PC but that was the joke.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Looking round Oddysey (Forbidden Planet to you youngsters) in Leeds for the next volume of 'The Walking Dead' I purchased DC's identity crisis. Just about the first 'old school' superhero title I've bought in the last 5 years. It was good stuff and reminded how much I love comics.

I also bought the first three issues of Neil Gaiman's Eternals. Pretty darned good so far, but given the author I didn't really expect otherwise.
monkeyman
I'm working on getting the Walking Dead, it sounds and looks great.

I am currently reading a shitload of Punisher MAX titles i recently got hold of (the MAX titles are ultra bviolent gore filled comics, the line has been scrapped for nearly every character except Punisher I thnk though).

Some choice moments:

I'm interested in a comic line called Supreme Power as well. Can anyone recommend it to me? negative or Positive would be appreciated either way smile.gif
Stink_Palm
I currently read these on a regular basis:

Fables
Ex Machina
Y: The Last Man
Batman
Detective Comics
Walking Dead
Jack of Fables
Punisher Max
Planetary
ipse dixit
Figuring I ought to enter into the spirit of work, I'm drawing up a list of Stuff to Read. At the moment, I have:
Watchmen
Sandman
Stardust
Lucifer
biggrin.gif

I was reading the info on Jack of Fables and it sounds quite fun. I might have a nosey there too.
Sostie
Have recently finished the first issue of Garth Ennis's rather promising The Boys. Anyone else think this character looks familiar?
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Sep 3 2006, 08:59 PM)
Figuring I ought to enter into the spirit of work, I'm drawing up a list of Stuff to Read. At the moment, I have:
Watchmen
Sandman
Stardust
Lucifer
biggrin.gif

I've only read the first two.

They're both magnificent.

Watchmen has to be read all together, obviously. The Sandman volumes can be read apart and they still stand up.

Look out for Hob Gadling's story and the one with the convention of Collectors. Two of my favourites.
ipse dixit
Wickedy-bo. I think we're reissuing a collection of Sandman in a shiny new book soon, so I'm gonna wait for that.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 3 2006, 09:07 PM)
Have recently finished the first issue of Garth Ennis's rather promising The Boys.  Anyone else think this character looks familiar?

What happens to his girlfriend next is pretty sick.

And funny.

But mostly sick.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/6156/th...01page07sx8.jpg

I laughed quite hard when I saw it. It's dark and horrible but altogether funny.
Garth Ennis is king.
mcraigclark
A friend (*waves*) sent me the first issue of The Boys this weekend. It's great and I'm really looking forward to where the story goes.
Starscream`s Ghost
I'm starting to re-read all of the old Marvel UK Transformers stuff.

Target 2006, Fallen Angel, etc.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Sep 3 2006, 06:46 PM)
A friend (*waves*) sent me the first issue of The Boys this weekend. 

*winks back* biggrin.gif
maian
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Sep 3 2006, 08:59 PM)
Watchmen
Sandman
Stardust
biggrin.gif

I was reading the info on Jack of Fables and it sounds quite fun. I might have a nosey there too.

All fantastic. Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore are marvellous writers. The Sandman books in particular are some of the most interesting, grand and genuinely affecting comics I have ever read. I'm assuming that Stardust is the other Gaiman story that is currently being made into a film featuring De Niro and Ricky Gervais in small cameos? I've only read the book but it was fantastic.

I read Serenity: Those Left Behind recently. Very good and a nice little link between Firefly and Serenity with some great Blue Hand stuff and a gunfight so ingenious that I couldn't help but think ''damn, if only they could have filmed that''.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 4 2006, 10:11 AM)
I read Serenity: Those Left Behind recently. Very good and a nice little link between Firefly and Serenity with some great Blue Hand stuff and a gunfight so ingenious that I couldn't help but think ''damn, if only they could have filmed that''.

Good, wasn't it? For a quick three-issue release it's loads of fun. Nice to see Badger in that action, too.
maian
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Sep 4 2006, 09:47 PM)
Good, wasn't it?  For a quick three-issue release it's loads of fun.  Nice to see Badger in that action, too.

Oh yeah, tons of fun. I wasn't expecting all that much except a quick ''this happened and that's why these characters aren't in the film'' but it felt like the best episode of Firefly never made. Genuinely intriguing and exciting in equal measure.

I actually read it in one sitting in Waterstones but bought it anyway. Partially because it was such fun, but mainly because my friends who I introduced to Firefly would kill me if I hadn't bought it and lent it to them as soon as possible.
ADROCK
I'm reading the first watchmen.

and I'm looking for maximum carnage, but I can't find it.
Baz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 6 2006, 02:24 PM)
Best comic EVER.

I think issue 30 is out now. Will have to pop into the comic shop tomorrow. Also got to pick up issues 4 and 5 of Fear Agent.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 4 2006, 07:11 PM)
I'm assuming that Stardust is the other Gaiman story that is currently being made into a film featuring De Niro and Ricky Gervais in small cameos? I've only read the book but it was fantastic.

Yep yep. Noel Fielding's in it too. Heh. We're doing a visual companion to the film and re-releasing the original and a shiny new hardback of the book (all in March).
Jinx
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Sep 4 2006, 03:46 AM)
A friend (*waves*) sent me the first issue of The Boys this weekend.  It's great and I'm really looking forward to where the story goes.

That is great, isn't it? Garth Ennis is brilliant when he's being snarky about superheroes, and Darick Robinson's art suits the subject matter to a T! The other Ennis title to look out for - when he gets round to producing more than a preview - is The Chronicles Of Wormwood. It's about Satan's wayward son trying to make his own way through Manhattan's corporate nightlife with his talking rabbit, hanging out with the messiah and occasionally giving one to the reincarnated Joan Of Arc.
maian
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Sep 5 2006, 09:53 AM)
Yep yep. Noel Fielding's in it too. Heh. We're doing a visual companion to the film and re-releasing the original and a shiny new hardback of the book (all in March).

Ooh, sounds quite super. If you get a chance I recommend checking Neil Gaiman's blog at http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal. I't's often really entertaining and is especially good at the moment as he is just talking about being on the set with his daughters and how cool he thinks it all is that one of his books is being made into a film.
Sean of the Dead
I picked up Sin City - The Hard Goodbye when I was over in Ireland, and it's a fantastic book. Now all I have to do is read the others.
monkeyman
The other Ennis title to look out for - when he gets round to producing more than a preview - is The Chronicles Of Wormwood. It's about Satan's wayward son trying to make his own way through Manhattan's corporate nightlife with his talking rabbit, hanging out with the messiah and occasionally giving one to the reincarnated Joan Of Arc.
Oh hell yes ohmy.gif
Crutch
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Sep 5 2006, 06:25 PM)
I picked up Sin City - The Hard Goodbye when I was over in Ireland, and it's a fantastic book. Now all I have to do is read the others.

A Dame to kill for is my personal favorite so far.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 5 2006, 08:22 AM)
I't's often really entertaining and is especially good at the moment as he is just talking about being on the set with his daughters and how cool he thinks it all is that one of his books is being made into a film.

Didja see the Claire Danes picture he posted under fear of Paramount asking him to remove it? But they didn't? (Waheyy!) biggrin.gif

Noel is one of the ghost sons of Stormhold, which is quite a group of actors they've gathered. (Mark Heap, Julian Rhind-Tutt, David Walliams and Rupert Everett are the other five; Jason Flemyng and Mark Strong are the two who are still alive. Well, when the story begins at least... wink.gif)
Stink_Palm
QUOTE (Jinx @ Sep 5 2006, 09:20 AM)
That is great, isn't it? Garth Ennis is brilliant when he's being snarky about superheroes, and Darick Robinson's art suits the subject matter to a T! The other Ennis title to look out for - when he gets round to producing more than a preview - is The Chronicles Of Wormwood. It's about Satan's wayward son trying to make his own way through Manhattan's corporate nightlife with his talking rabbit,  hanging out with the messiah and occasionally giving one to the reincarnated Joan Of Arc.

Ha, that sounds glorious.

The second issue of The Boys was brilliant. I laughed out loud a few times.

Does anyone hear read American Virgin? I just started it recently and I'm loving it. It's very similar to Y: The Last Man.
maian
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Sep 5 2006, 08:02 PM)
Didja see the Claire Danes picture he posted under fear of Paramount asking him to remove it?  But they didn't?  (Waheyy!)  biggrin.gif

Noel is one of the ghost sons of Stormhold, which is quite a group of actors they've gathered. (Mark Heap, Julian Rhind-Tutt, David Walliams and Rupert Everett are the other five; Jason Flemyng and Mark Strong are the two who are still alive.  Well, when the story begins at least... wink.gif)

*cough*threealive*cough*

I haven't been able to read it for a few weeks (curse my work and their stringent internet policies) but that does seem like something he would do. Bless him, he's like a struggling comic book writer trapped in a bestseller's body. With ruffled hair.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 5 2006, 01:26 PM)
*cough*threealive*cough*

That'll teach me....I really need to re-read it, and soon. (Thank goodness it's a quick read.)

Bless him, he's like a struggling comic book writer trapped in a bestseller's body. With ruffled hair.

HA! S'true.

BTW, at Comic-Con he said that it's really not confirmed yet, but he would very much like Tori Amos to be the voice of the tree, for obvious reasons.
maian
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Sep 5 2006, 11:14 PM)
BTW, at Comic-Con he said that it's really not confirmed yet, but he would very much like Tori Amos to be the voice of the tree, for obvious reasons.

That would be fantastic! I really hope that happens now as it would be such a treat for Gaiman fans who know about those sort of things *tries to not look like one of those people. Fails spectacularly*
Crutch
Kingdom Come - Great artwork. Nice story. I liked it. Especially Batman's role in it.

Arkham Asylum - This incarnation of Joker really haunts me... I'm scared.
monkeyman
Currently getting hold of 1602. The Marvel comic by Neil Gaiman where a bunch of characters are shown as if they had been around in 1602, they are referred to as WItchbreeed instead of Mutants or whatever they happen to be. Looks to be pretty damn good.

Also getting hold of walking dead which has been discussed here I believe and Supreme Power. In the 80's, Marvel Comics got the rights to do their own versions of the DC Comics characters (Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Green Lantern, the Flash, etc). The Marvel version of Superman was called Hyperion, the Marvel version of Batman was called Nighthawk, and so on... However, after the 80's they sort of disappeared (making a few appearances now and then, but generally not being a big thing in Marvel anymore). This changed a few years back when J Michael Straczynsi (known as simply JMS) start to write "Supreme Power", in which he revamped Hyperion, Nighthawk etc, and placed them in their own little Universe (so these characters don't coexist with Spider-Man and those heroes).

Supreme Power is an alternate, more "realistic" look at what might happen if characters like Superman and Batman existed.
Hyperion (the Superman variant) for instance, got taken care of by the US government, rather than a couple of farmers, and was raised to be a secret weapon. He grew up behind fences and barb wire, constantly guarded, and with "parents" that were basically hired for the job, that don't really love him (or even eachother).
Needless to say, the stories feel more grown up, realistic, and generally darker than what you'd get in Superman/Batman/etc comics. This is why they were published under the "MAX" title, created for comics with adult material.

Jubei
Ah, some good choices there, I've read 1602, and there's a folllow up as well, that I've only seen in digitised form, but is a good second part to the story, with Ironman as this spanish guy in gigantic lightning powered armour. Very cool when he fights the hulk.

Supreme power is also very good, I read the first one or two of those, and I really like the dark take on the various superheros. Am i right in thinking it is a marvel comic, but they've used chracrters with skills very similar to certain DC heroes, and then made them a lot darker?

Hyperion - Superman, The Blur - Flash, Nighthawk - Batman etc. If I remember right, Nighthawk is a fucker.
monkeyman
Yah Matvel bought the rights to take certain DC characters and put a new spin on them. It looks to be pretty interesting ^^
Jubei
And I've just found out, written by that Babylon 5 guy. With the initials and everything. I'm so specific.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.