Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
gulfcoast_highwayman
Fair play to the Marvel publicity machine for getting this news into the mainstream.

Not enough credit to Jack Kirby, as is usual with Marvel, but still, well done to them.

I'm betting it last three years.
Sostie
But he died in the 80's too!
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 14 2007, 02:26 PM)
But he died in the 80's too!

Wasn't that Nomad, the guy who wore the costume whilst Steve was frozen?
Sostie
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 14 2007, 02:32 PM)
Wasn't that Nomad, the guy who wore the costume whilst Steve was frozen?

Fuck knows biggrin.gif I just remember buying it, reading it, Cap dying and a new one turning up!
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 14 2007, 02:20 PM)
I'm betting it last three years.

Never that long. How long was Collosus dead for?
zeden
What little I gathered from the article I read about it said that the comic "Captain America" will live on but with a new character at the helm. Steve Rogers will probably turn up in a few years just to kick the shit out of Iron Man for bringing about his fall from grace.
Sostie
Tony Stark is a wanker!
empathy-with-beast
I am telling you Steve Rogers death won't make it much past the one year mark. Mainstream non-Ultimate comic writers can barely bring themselves to kill even minor characters, Steve Rogers is as dead as Superman.
maian
I reckon he'll come back to life a week after the film opens in America and goes to the top of the box office, at which point the sales will be reinvigorated and he will return with a big, big bang.
monkeyman
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Mar 14 2007, 03:43 PM)
Never that long. How long was Collosus dead for?

Please tell me you are being sarcastic/taking a shot in the dark?

They didn't really bring Collossus back did they? If they can bring him back they should fucking bring Morph back.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 14 2007, 09:01 AM)
They didn't really bring Collossus back did they?

Whedon brought him back in Astonishing X-Men. Very well, I might add.
empathy-with-beast
It's all Ord of the Breakworld's doing.

That's right, an alien came along and fixed it.
NiteFall
The only three people that stay dead in comics are Uncle Ben, Bucky and Jason Todd.

And even then Bucky and Jason Todd came back. So did Uncle Ben, but he was from a parallel world and as such doesn't count.
monkeyman
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Mar 14 2007, 06:09 PM)
Whedon brought him back in Astonishing X-Men.  Very well, I might add.

Can you tell me how he did it?

@Nitefall: Morph seems to have remained dead.
NiteFall
Morph? Morph of the X-Men and Exiles? Morph who never actually died in the comics (Age of Apocalypse OR Exiles) OR in the cartoon series?
monkeyman
I think my watching of the Cartoon has warped my memory on what happened to him.

I thought he died in the comics. I remember being told he was killed off as well. Though you mentioning Exiles (of which I own the first collected book) seems to suggest otherwise. Sort of.
maian
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 14 2007, 07:46 PM)
Can you tell me how he did it?

@Nitefall: Morph seems to have remained dead.

I have read the comics, but can't remember how it actually was explained. Fortunately at times like this wikipedia comes to the rescue.

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Using thoughts and notes from the recently murdered Moira MacTaggert, the X-Men's resident scientist, Beast, claimed to have found the cure for the Legacy Virus. Unfortunately, it could only be made airborne with the death of its first user. Rather than wait for a safer version and allow others to die as Illyana had in the meantime, Colossus injected himself with the cure. By using his powers and sacrificing himself, Colossus enabled the release of an airborne cure, effectively eradicating the disease. His body was cremated, and Shadowcat took his ashes back to Russia to be strewn on his native soil.

Nearly 2 years later it was brought to the attention of the X-Men that a medical company, entitled Benetech, had developed a mutant cure. After gaining a sample of the cure, Dr. McCoy discovered a string of DNA hidden deep within the recesses of the formula. After matching the DNA, the Beast and the other X-Men set out to investigate the truth behind Benetech. During their infiltration, they discovered that Ord, an alien from the Breakworld, was responsible for the means with which the company was able to develop the cure. While the team was separated, Kitty descended down into a hidden complex beneath the Benetech building and was able to unlock the true secret behind the cure: shortly after Peter's self-sacrificing death, Ord had captured his body and left a duplicate that the X-Men had cremated. After reviving him, Ord had used the Legacy Virus cure in Peter's blood stream to develop his mutant cure. After unknowingly releasing Peter from his cell, Kitty rejoined him with the X-Men and together they subdued Ord as he tried to escape Earth. Since reuniting with his friends, Peter has returned to fight with the X-Men as Colossus, and he and Kitty have been able resume their romantic relationship.
monkeyman
....that is bent.

How many times have mutants been replaced with Aliens that have died? A fait few times I am sure.

Wolverine and Jean Grey for a start.
zeden
That is dumb. No more or less dumb than many other death and subsequent rebirth mind.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 14 2007, 08:22 PM)
I thought he died in the comics. I remember being told he was killed off as well. Though you mentioning Exiles (of which I own the first collected book) seems to suggest otherwise. Sort of.

There was a character called Changeling years ago who helped Prof X fake his own death in order to kill some psychic alien threat. Before the cartoon and AoA that was the closest Morph came to existence.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Superman's birth parents have stayed dead.

He only visited them by going back in time, or in imaginary tales.
NiteFall
Ahh, but they don't count as they were never depicted as alive in the first place. They started off dead, rather than being in the comic then being killed off. The same for Bruce Wayne's parents.
Sostie
Woo-hoo. The new Whedon penned Buffy comic came out today.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Mar 15 2007, 12:38 PM)
Ahh, but they don't count as they were never depicted as alive in the first place. They started off dead, rather than being in the comic then being killed off. The same for Bruce Wayne's parents.

Although the "you're mum and dad aren't really dead Bruce, what on earth have you been wasting all your time on when you could have been out having a good time being incredibly rich?" story line is one I'd consider following.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 15 2007, 12:57 PM)
Woo-hoo.  The new Whedon penned Buffy comic came out today.

Indeed. I'm excited and apprehensive in almost equal measure. (The excitement's winning).
Sostie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Mar 15 2007, 01:19 PM)
Indeed. I'm excited and apprehensive in almost equal measure. (The excitement's winning).

It's quite good...a bit silly (if you imagine it translated to screen) but the revelation of the new Big Bad is cool.

On the subject of Captain America, a friend just told me that in Civil War : The Initiative (out the same week as Cap's death) Ms Marvel says something about Steve Rogers not actually being dead, something to do with the super serum, but she can't really explain what! Could this be one of the biggest comic cop-outs ever?
zeden
Maybe he'll just turn up in a month or two for the sake of surprise. Seeing as pretty much everyone is almost certain of his return, maybe they'll just get it out of the way nice and quick.
I reckon it'll turn out he set the whole thing up himself to get out of the limelight and escape capture.
empathy-with-beast
On a similar matter I've just read that Beast will be returning to Ultimate X-Men, despite having been crushed by falling masonry and then buried. I was really enjoying the whiole "Ultimate dead people ultimately stay dead" thing but I guess it wasn't to be.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 15 2007, 01:42 PM)
It's quite good...a bit silly (if you imagine it translated to screen) but the revelation of the new Big Bad is cool.

I agree. We might get to see a scene I wish they'd put in an actual episode.

Willow kicking the snot out of Amy for turning her into Warren

Where is Violet??!!? I must have my Felicia Day fix, even if it's only in comic form.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I've just finished volume 2 of Justice, the gorgeous looking mini series from DC and need some help.

I'm scared to look on wikipedia for fear of spoilers, but can someone explain how the hell Barry Allen ended up a) alive, and b) the Flash again? What happened to Wally?
monkeyman
I had a look on Wiki for you my man. Spoiler free:

Many aspects of Justice appear to relate to the Silver Age of comic books; Ross has a well-known affinity for that era. However, key differences distinguish the series from taking place in either Pre-Crisis or Post-Crisis DC Universe continuity. The series either takes place in a newly-rebooted past (post-Infinite Crisis), or in a parallel universe. Unlike other "imaginary" stories that fall outside of DC continuity, Justice does not bear the Elseworlds label.

Particularities of Justice's timestream and continuity:

-Barry Allen, (Bunch of other names, I dunno if you've seen them yet so i took em out so you can still be surprised) are all alive.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Cheers Monkeyman.

Have a banana.
monkeyman
Picked up 1602 the other day, has been good stuff so far. It's fun trying to work out who the characters are before you find out or see them (Javier being Xavier, though you only hear his name before you see him).

I was proud with my quick guess of Dare Devil as well.
zeden
I'll have a borrow of that as soon as you're finished.

Just finished book 12 of Berzerk. I love how much more there is in the manga by comparison to the series, it really makes reading the books worth while as what is added enhances the plot nicely. The extra action sequences also help to build towards the climax, which in the anime was abrupt and a little jarring.

Think I might get cracking with 300 tonight if I have time.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 16 2007, 07:18 AM)
I've just finished volume 2 of Justice, the gorgeous looking mini series from DC and need some help.

Ain't it pretty? I've got a stack of the vol. 2 hardbacks here waiting to be mailed out. Can't be bothered to read it, but by gosh that Ross knows a paintbrush.
T-103
I am a freakin' Resi nerd and am currently reading the comics. (Even though i'm supposed to be doing IT work at college).

Only one snag though, Ihave to get them imported from America as the local newsagents don't supply them anymore. I have looked all over Cornwall for some but to no avail.
Home-Sliced06
Just got done with a pile of new books and I'm a happy monkey.

Hack/Slash vs Chucky A one shot that has a team of Slasher/Movie Monster hunters forced to make an uneasy alliance with Chucky to stop an Evil Force. Fun little number that Brings Chcuky back after the events of Seed of Chucky plenty of cute dialogue between Chucky and our heroes particularly Chucky boasting that "Freddy, Jason, Micheal . . . they got NOTHING on me". biggrin.gif

Buffy Season 8 Issue 1 Gotta say Joss has set some very interesting stakes in this issue, I won't say much but if your a Buffy fan this is essential reading.

Thunderbolts #111 Very good issue for "jumping on" as it introduces what the Thunderbolts are all about and what they do very effectively. This deals with the team trying to take down Jack Staff, a proteges of Captain America, without looking like the villians whilst manipulating the media to make Staff look like a terrorist.

The New Avengers #28 The Non-Regsistered super team looks to be one to watch as these are individuals thrown together by circumstance and there is a little conflict in the ranks at times. The plot . . well I'll stay sctum on that for the most part, it does however clear up a point from Civil War: The Initiative ie Captain America not being dead after all more importantly though it shows some of the after affects of the Civil War in countries other than America.

The Mighty Avengers #1 The regsitered S.H.I.E.L.D sanctioned super team like a lot of the pro-registration side have some doubts and conflict with what they fought for and hopfully this will play a lot more in future issues. Meanwhile there appears to be a soap thing going on with Ms Marvel either having naughty thoughts about Sentry or being (not so subtly) hit on by Iron Man. Dirty great Tart.

Punisher War Journal #5 Not essencial reading as it goes apart from leading upto Punishers taking over of Captain Americas mantle but there os very little here about that. Very good story though about a man who lost everything on 9/11 and then again in the Stamford incident that kicked off the Civil War.

Civil War: The Confession What Iron Man did and how he did it didn't seem to make a whole lotta sense really he seemed to go off the deep end into villiany. Hiring Super Villians as lackies, locking people up without trial,cloning Thor, Killing Giant Man. This will clear everything up it has Tony Stark pouring his heart out about why he did wht he did and his final judgement on his own actions through out the Civil War. Very well writen and worth reading if you've spent the last few months hating Iron Man.

Captain America # 25 Some people reading this (most I'd assume) will know what happens in this issue some won't. All I'll say is that I was very satisfied with it's handling and hope Marvel does something original and interesting with the situations that will surely arise from this event.

Sorry for all the Marvel btw. tongue.gif
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Home-Sliced06 @ Mar 21 2007, 04:33 PM)
Buffy Season 8 Issue 1 Gotta say Joss has set some very interesting stakes in this issue, I won't say much but if your a Buffy fan this is essential reading.
The comment about the thing with The Immortal and Andrew finding it hilarious made me laugh out loud...although I was a bit drunk. Wondering where they'll go with giant Dawn thing.
Home-Sliced06
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Mar 22 2007, 02:10 PM)
The comment about the thing with The Immortal and Andrew finding it hilarious made me laugh out loud...although I was a bit drunk. Wondering where they'll go with giant Dawn thing.

Isn't the giant Dawn thing one of Joss's not so subtle mystical-real world subsitutes like the magic/drug addiction thing. In this case she had sex and caught an STD albiet one that made her giant. I love Buffys comment to her as she walks out though "Your butt looks big in those giant pants" laugh.gif

I just can't believe the scale that Joss is aiming for now that he's free from the budget constaints of tv. In the first issue alone Buffy fights two giant demons with a squad of slayers all the while being directed by the new "Nick Fury" version of Xander back at Slayer HQ in Scotland and Amy the Witch and her *mysterious* demon boyfriend team up with an Initative like military project to kill Buffy and this is just the begining. You know Buffy the villians and stiuations early on in the season very rarely have any effect on that seasons Big Bad/ Finale.

Hmm I can forsee the need for a Season 8 *spoiler* thread if this gets popular.
Jimmy Green
This thread is not unlike reading through letters sent home from the front in WW2.

Anyways... I started re-reading Preacher again last week for a laugh. CLASSIC.
monkeyman
I'd be interested in getting hold of Preacher actually. There is so damn much of it though laugh.gif

I recently found a place where I can download fan-translated Berserk volumes. This is damn good stuff considering that there is only up to volume 15 available in England, and about volume 18 in America and 30ish in Japan. It means I have been able to get all the way up to volume 30 without having to wait 2+ years. Some of the translation is a bit poor, in terms of the amount swearing at least, none of the characters would swear as much as they are made out to in the fan translated works, but the rest of it seems fairly accurate.

Lovely violent, emotional stuff.
Spider Dijon
Graphic Novel...comic. They're virtually the same thing really. In that case I'm soon to be reading 28 Days Later: The Aftermath, which cronicals the events between 28 Days Later and the soon to be released sequel: 28 Weeks Later.
monkeyman
Ugh, 28 weeks later is such an unnecessary film. It had better not suck.
Spider Dijon
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 24 2007, 05:35 PM)
Ugh, 28 weeks later is such an unnecessary film. It had better not suck.

I know I'm inclinded to agree, yet all the same the premise fills me with excitement. To be honest, the characters aside: it was the idea around an infected British Isles that was the most intriguing about the first film, this follows on from it. But you're right...I'm not expecting to be dazzled.
monkeyman
Heh, I wasn't attacking your views if thats how it sounded. I just re-read my post laugh.gif
Spider Dijon
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 24 2007, 06:18 PM)
Heh, I wasn't attacking your views if thats how it sounded. I just re-read my post laugh.gif

smile.gif No no, I didn't think you were attacking my views at all mate. I know exactly what you mean about the film though. I suppose we've all learned from the sequels to the Matrix not to get our hopes up...Reloaded and Revolutions...what a load of bollocks they were. sad.gif
Crutch
Reading 300 know. I like it. It got hell lotta pathos in it, but I like it in all it's bright, heroic gayness. I'm looking forward to see the film next week.
Jessopjessopjessop
Watchmen

A bunch of superheroes with like, no superpowers (how gay is that?) and really shit costumes stand around talking a lot. Rawhide (or something) is like really moody and wears a tea-towel on his face, Ozzy Ardilles is totally gay, and The Comdian isn't even funny. There's this blue dude who is quite cool but doesn't wear any clothes, so i don't like him either. There's waaay too much writing in it too, I just skipped over those bits. And all the haircuts are really bad - what is this, like 1985 or something?
logger
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Apr 2 2007, 03:27 PM)
Ozzy Ardilles is totally gay

"Good name for an album"
Jumpin Jack Flash
'Days gone by' and 'miles behind us' of Walking Dead fame arrived today. I ordered them the third of March! They're bloody spectacular! Does anybody know when the sequel to 'This Sorrowful Life' is out?
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Apr 2 2007, 03:27 PM)
Watchmen

A bunch of superheroes with like, no superpowers (how gay is that?) and really shit costumes stand around talking a lot. Rawhide (or something) is like really moody and wears a tea-towel on his face, Ozzy Ardilles is totally gay, and The Comdian isn't even funny. There's this blue dude who is quite cool but doesn't wear any clothes, so i don't like him either. There's waaay too much writing in it too, I just skipped over those bits. And all the haircuts are really bad - what is this, like 1985 or something?

I know you're joking, but all the same I want to hurt you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.