Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
curtinparloe
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 24 2007, 06:35 PM)
Ugh, 28 weeks later is such an unnecessary film. It had better not suck.

I have high hopes for it. The director made Intacto, a remarkably good and weird Spanish/English film featuring Max Von Sydow.

hmm.. I haven't read any Strontium Dog in blooming ages.

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Library Volume 4
Fat Freddie's Cat Rules.
monkeyman
Preacher is fucking awesome. Particularly when it's drawn by Steve Dillon.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 15 2007, 05:14 PM)
I agree. We might get to see a scene I wish they'd put in an actual episode.

Willow kicking the snot out of Amy for turning her into Warren

Looks like I'm going to get my wish.......... smile.gif

And happy birthday to SMG, she be 30 today.
Jimmay
Grrrr. I ordered Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life weeks ago and it still hasn't been posted. This best be worth it!
empathy-with-beast
I read Alan Moore's Exit Interview, not a comic book but the trnascript of an interview with Moore about the state of the comic book industry. It is some times tempting to see Moore at a grumpy old bastard, and certainly he's got a lot of bile reserved for DC, but then some of the things that have happened to him are pretty insulting. The League of Extraordinary Gentleman film was sued by a Hollywood screen writer who claimed that the idea of a group of Victorian super heros had been stolen from him, and Times Warner settled out of court on a case that was suggesting that a film producer had rung up Moore and got him to write the comics as a cover for the theft. Similarly he's pretty pissed off that when the producers of V for Vendetta lied about him being excited about the movie he wasn't able to get a retraction of the statement.

But the book isn't really a load of gripes but an expression of Moore's sorrow that the medium isn't being allowed to be what it could be. It's a unique medium in which ideas can be expressed in a way that they couldn't be anywhere else, and as a serious art form could really change the way people think, but instead it's become a fearful little enterprise in the thrall of the movie business.

I found what Moore was saying quite resonant as I'd just read 28 Days Later The Aftermath. It's written by Steve Niles, who's meant to be one of the industry's good writers, but it was just this hollow little unresearched cash in. One of Moore's gripes with the film of V for Vendetta was that it was just an Americaisation of a British story, or at least lazy people writting what about what they think Britain is like and it's true of this book as well. The book is stuffed with careless errors, there's no pride in it, no depth, no proper research (the British policemen in the book all loook like Victorian bobbies) and after reading Moore's account of the lack of ambition within comics I thought back on this book and thought "I know exactly what you're talking about."
melzilla

I bought this recently....another Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean collaboration.....Quite a sweet story, in a very dark, sinister way and similarly cute/freaky artwork!...Me likey!
Jimmay
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life finally arrived yesterday. Can't wait to get home and give it a proper read as I only thumbed through it quickly last night but looks good so far.
Jessopjessopjessop
I read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume I last week, and finished Volume II this morning. Great stuff, and the artwork is perfect.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Apr 18 2007, 12:27 PM)
I read Alan Moore's Exit Interview, not a comic book but the trnascript of an interview with Moore about the state of the comic book industry. It is some times tempting to see Moore at a grumpy old bastard, and certainly he's got a lot of bile reserved for DC, but then some of the things that have happened to him are pretty insulting.

What are his gripes with DC?

He's my favourite writer, but when I was a full time collector they were my publishers of choice, so I'm a bit upset to hear they pissed him off.
dandan
has anybody read the 'death note' manga? i did a quick search, but couldn't find any mention. i watched the first film last night and wanted to investigate further...
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 19 2007, 05:27 PM)
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life finally arrived yesterday. Can't wait to get home and give it a proper read as I only thumbed through it quickly last night but looks good so far.

I got all three books last autumn, and have read them and re-read them since. Very much looking forward to the fourth installment due in the summer, as well as what Edgar's going to make of the film version if that gets off the ground.

QUOTE (dandan @ Apr 23 2007, 06:03 PM)
has anybody read the 'death note' manga? i did a quick search, but couldn't find any mention. i watched the first film last night and wanted to investigate further...

It's really big in Japan right now. My friends are absolutely hooked on the manga and the anime, which are, according to them, far far better than the movie and its sequel (which apparently cocked up the plot and was horribly miscast). I really haven't taken an interest in it (excluding me from many a conversation, much as Lost has done previously) but I'd say that if the film piqued yours, it's worth a go.
dandan
QUOTE (Kick in the Head)
It's really big in Japan right now. My friends are absolutely hooked on the manga and the anime, which are, according to them, far far better than the movie and its sequel (which apparently cocked up the plot and was horribly miscast). I really haven't taken an interest in it (excluding me from many a conversation, much as Lost has done previously) but I'd say that if the film piqued yours, it's worth a go.

yup, i've heard that the second film is a let-down, which is why i'm starting to think that i should investigate the manga / anime...

on an unrelated note: if i paypal you money, will you post me over some 'black devil' cigarettes? i have been craving them, after seeing an empty pack during some spring cleaning...
Douglas Nicol
I'm reading "Eye of the Traitor", the 3rd book in the Rogue Trooper collection published by Rebellion. This brings back a lot of fond memories.

BTW, "To the Ends of Nu Earth" is the 4th (and presumably) the last of the 'classic' Rogue Trooper stories which ends with Rogue finding the traitor general. I remember there was a story after that in which Helm, Gunnar and Bagman were re-gened, and the Norts and Southers made peace but high ranking officers in both sides were being assasinated. This was round about the time I stopped reading 2000AD, so do any of the reprints deal with this. I know some of the books are modern stories which form prequels and so on.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (dandan @ Apr 23 2007, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (Kick in the Head)

yup, i've heard that the second film is a let-down, which is why i'm starting to think that i should investigate the manga / anime...

on an unrelated note: if i paypal you money, will you post me over some 'black devil' cigarettes? i have been craving them, after seeing an empty pack during some spring cleaning...

Afraid I don't have a PayPal account, but maybe I should get one and start taking requests for random stuff people here want from Japan. Can't say I've ever seen them, but then again, I've not been looking for them.
NiteFall
If you do do that then I'm so after some Gundam models. And sweets. In fact, fuck it. I'll just send you 1/2 of my paycheque each month and you can supply me with Pocky.
dandan
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 23 2007, 04:25 PM)
Afraid I don't have a PayPal account, but maybe I should get one and start taking requests for random stuff people here want from Japan. Can't say I've ever seen them, but then again, I've not been looking for them.

we could always trade? i'll send you a parcel with salt'n'vinegar crisps, marmite, yorkshire tea and other anglo-guff; you can send nice, weird cigaretts back my way?

as for 'black devils', i only ever got them from the kiosks, shops and vending machines didn't seem to have them...
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (dandan @ Apr 24 2007, 01:48 AM)
we could always trade? i'll send you a parcel with salt'n'vinegar crisps, marmite, yorkshire tea and other anglo-guff; you can send nice, weird cigaretts back my way?

as for 'black devils', i only ever got them from the kiosks, shops and vending machines didn't seem to have them...

Tempting...well, I might put a general call out for any board members wanting Japanese tat, and I either send it or bring it back with me depending on luggage. It's pretty expensive sending even small items though, but I'll look into it.
gulfcoast_highwayman
In issue 51 of DC's 52 there is an obituary for fine Batman artist Marshall Rogers.

He died last month aged just 57.

RIP to a favourite of my youth.

I'm sorry I can't link, my Firefox won't let me copy and paste, but put his name into wikipedia and there are some links to websites with more info on his passing, including one where they use the unfortunate phrase 'details are sketchy' regarding his death.
empathy-with-beast
Civil War and Civil War: Spider-man

I didn't have high hopes but ended up quite enjoying it, certainly a lot better than House of M was. The splits of alligence are very well handled and part of the strength of it is that you are never able to one hundred percent sidw with either faction. The Spiderman tie in has very strong dialogue, if conciously indebted to the movies' script, although it loses some of the ambiguity and you end up thinking Tony Stark is a total arse. It is my hope that each tie in will present adiffering veiw point on superhero registration.
empathy-with-beast
Hi I'm a Marvel, and I'm a DC

There's a whole bunch of these.

They thought they'd make you more accessable to young people by making you an iligitimate father?
The Super Pan
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 6 2007, 01:02 PM)
Hi I'm a Marvel, and I'm a DC

There's a whole bunch of these.

They thought they'd make you more accessable to young people by making you an iligitimate father?

Yeah, those are really funny, especially since I work at DC. 'Tis accurate. Besides Batman, most of the DC superheroes are really lame and all their film properties are tied up in development hell. It's too bad that Joss's "Wonder Woman" fell apart. Although, I have to admit that superhero is also pretty lame.

Recent Comic I've Enjoyed
Marvel Zombies: Dead Days - great one-shot that's a prequel to "Marvel Zombies." Some excellent zombie gore and dark comedy.
Friday the 13th - The first 6 issues from Wildstorm provide a clever blood soaked storyline and some cool backstory on Jason.
The Walking Dead Volume 6 Sorry for all the horror comics. I must be in a mood for zombie carnage. This 6th volume has a fantastic "escape storyline" with some surprising twists. If you haven't picked up this comic, you are missing out. It's one of the best ongoing series out there.
Sostie
QUOTE (The Super Pan @ May 14 2007, 06:40 PM)
Marvel Zombies: Dead Days - great one-shot that's a prequel to "Marvel Zombies."  Some excellent zombie gore and dark comedy.

Have you read Marvel Zombies vs Army Of Darkness. It's stoopid. Good stoopid
The Super Pan
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 14 2007, 02:48 PM)
Have you read Marvel Zombies vs Army Of Darkness.  It's stoopid. Good stoopid

I'm waiting for the trade. Is it necessary to read the first Army of Darkness storyline to follow MZ Vs. Army of Darkness?
Sostie
QUOTE (The Super Pan @ May 14 2007, 06:58 PM)
I'm waiting for the trade.  Is it necessary to read the first Army of Darkness storyline to follow MZ Vs. Army of Darkness?

Not at all. I gave up reading the AoD comics (though still buy them with a view to catch-up) and it has no bearing on the MZ plot.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (The Super Pan @ May 14 2007, 07:40 PM)
Yeah, those are really funny, especially since I work at DC.  'Tis accurate.  Besides Batman, most of the DC superheroes are really lame and all their film properties are tied up in development hell.  It's too bad that Joss's "Wonder Woman" fell apart.  Although, I have to admit that superhero is also pretty lame.

It's good to see you believe in your product.

Have you read Alan Moore's Exit Interview? I'm really curious to know how people at DC feel about him.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (The Super Pan @ May 14 2007, 06:40 PM)
I work at DC.
Eeey! Hello. I work at Titan Books - we publish graphic novels of most of your stuff in the UK.

Those Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street/Texas Chainsaw Massacre comics look hilarious.
The Super Pan
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ May 15 2007, 05:32 AM)
Eeey! Hello. I work at Titan Books - we publish graphic novels of most of your stuff in the UK.

Those Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street/Texas Chainsaw Massacre comics look hilarious.

Nice! Yeah, the Friday the 13th ones are the best of the lot. Some pretty outrageous gore in them. Jimmy Palmiotti is a fantastic comic writer. His "Jonah Hex" is also great.
ipse dixit
I've not read that, but it's got good press. Maybe I'll give it a go. His melty face is gross.

I've just read Pieces For Mom. Which was also very gross.
Sostie
Satan's Sodomy Baby. A Goon one-shot that lives up to its lengthy warning on the front.
Jumpin Jack Flash
Apparently the new Walking Dead is out in the states. When's it out over here?
Sostie
QUOTE (Jumpin Jack Flash @ May 17 2007, 03:26 PM)
Apparently the new Walking Dead is out in the states. When's it out over here?

Which one. I picked up the last one during SONY (issue with pregnant wife on cover) and that has been on the shelves a few weeks. Or do you mean the paperbacks?
Jumpin Jack Flash
The last one I have is issue 5 with the riot gear. I think it's called Best Defence?
Sostie
QUOTE (Jumpin Jack Flash @ May 17 2007, 03:31 PM)
The last one I have is issue 5 with the riot gear. I think it's called Best Defence?

If you mean Book 5 and there is a new one out in the US it should be here by now.

If you mean Issue 5, they are up to the 30's now so you are well behind.
empathy-with-beast
A new Walking Dead trade paper back has just come out over here as well. I think it's volume six but I can't remember.
mcraigclark
Volume 6 would be the latest Walking Dead trade paperback.
gulfcoast_highwayman
It is Volume 6.

It's available in most comic shops, or cheaper on Play.com.

Mine arrived last Saturday.

It has one of the most gruesome scenes I've ever seen in a comic.
Jumpin Jack Flash
Yeah I really want it! I'm debating asking somebody to pm me what happens...
Jimmay
This forum seems to be guiding my cultural development more than it should. After being intrigued by Empy's sig as it seemed to be War of the Worlds related and doing a little bit of internet sleuthing and finding out where it was from I am now the proud owner of League of Extraordinary Gentleman volumes I and II.
zeden
Looks like a lot of X-Men are going to die...
Storm, Beast, Cyclops, Bishop, Shadowcat all look set to bite the dust quite soon. God knows why.

So who wants to start bets on who'll be the first to return from the grave? biggrin.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (zeden @ May 21 2007, 01:26 PM)
Storm, Beast, Cyclops, Bishop, Shadowcat all look set to bite the dust quite soon. God knows why.

So who wants to start bets on who'll be the first to return from the grave?  biggrin.gif

Wolveri...oops, sorry, force of habit.
ipse dixit
Criminal: Coward by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips. Excellent.
Sostie
Just picked up the latest issue of The Boys. About bloody time.
ipse dixit
^ I've skim-read the first 5 or 6 as we're releasing the GN editions in a few months...meh.
Sostie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jun 1 2007, 01:40 PM)
^ I've skim-read the first 5 or 6 as we're releasing the GN editions in a few months...meh.

The PB collection of issues 1-6 were on the shelves today. The new one (#7) was well worth the wait. With this & Walking Dead I haven't looked forward to upcoming issues since the days of Moore's Swamp Thing.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (zeden @ May 21 2007, 04:26 AM)

God, that's so emo even Joss wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. laugh.gif

Just picked up the latest issue of The Boys. About bloody time.

You ain't shittin'.
Starscream`s Ghost
Seeing as there's only a couple of months until it's release, I'm going back and re-reading all m y Transformers graphic novels. Waaaaay back, to 1984. When Spidey (in his alien costume) made a cameo.
Northern Sleeze
Hi Holly

Don't know if you know about this site but check out www.sleeze-brothers.com could make a difference biggrin.gif
maian
Has anyone here read Alan Moore's debut novel? I saw an import copy in Borders for nearly 20 and am tempted to pick it up far cheaper in the states in a few weeks. However, I've not really heard anything about it so wondered if anyone has read it yet.
Crutch
I've read Superman: Red Son. I really liked it. It could have been 200 pages thicker to tell some things a little more explicit, but nontheless probably the best Sups comic I've read so far. They were really inventive and made the best out of the known elements.
empathy-with-beast
Jor-El vs Uncle Ben
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.