Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
curtinparloe
Phoebe Zeit-Geist
A very funny "erotic" damsel-in-distress comic written by Michael O'Donoghue and drawn by Frank Springer, in which the eponymous heroine spends some of the time dead and all the time nude. There's a 90-page set here.
Jimmay
After finishing the League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Watchmen, my Alan Moore education continues with V for Vendetta. So far so good and Watchmen was fantastic. I can see the very strong similarities with Heroes now but not to the point of blatant plagarism.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 20 2007, 09:13 AM)
So far so good and Watchmen was fantastic. I can see the very strong similarities with Heroes now but not to the point of blatant plagarism.

I'm looking forward to Heroes for that very reason. Watchmen has fast become one of my favourite books ever.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 20 2007, 09:13 AM)
After finishing the League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Watchmen, my Alan Moore education continues with V for Vendetta.  So far so good and Watchmen was fantastic. I can see the very strong similarities with Heroes now but not to the point of blatant plagarism.

V For Vendetta is brilliant.
I'd suggest Miracleman next.
Jimmay
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jul 20 2007, 08:58 AM)
V For Vendetta is brilliant.
I'd suggest Miracleman next.

Like I say, so far so good. Miracleman sounds a bit rubbish. Marvelman on the other hand...
ipse dixit
I wasn't that taken with V. I mean, it's good, but...I dunno. For one thing, I don't much like the art. And not just because David Lloyd is creepy.

I've just read the latest Fables collection - Sons of Empire. I do like Fables. I want to read Ex Machina, but we've not got the first volume in the office. I'll have to get it ordered in...
Jimmay
Any suggestions on where to pick up some copies of Miracleman then?
Sostie
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 20 2007, 09:25 AM)
Any suggestions on where to pick up some copies of Miracleman then?

Yeah...from me....for a shed load of cash!

You can probably pick up some single issues quite cheap. Some are worth more than others. As for collections/tpb I think they are now quite expensive...if you can find them. Well I had trouble finding them.
Jimmay
How big a shed are we talking? Ah well, never mind then. I thought there may have been a collection available somewhere so you can read them and get the idea of the story without having to worry about creasing the pages or replacing it in it's dust cover after reading it. Thanks anyway.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 20 2007, 10:17 AM)
Like I say, so far so good. Miracleman sounds a bit rubbish. Marvelman on the other hand...

Another reason why I hate Marvel comics.

I do have most of it as Marvelman from my collection of 'Warrior', but good luck finding it. Ebay for the Trade Paperbacks might be your best bet.
Sostie
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jul 20 2007, 09:57 AM)
Another reason why I hate Marvel comics.

What is?
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 20 2007, 10:59 AM)
What is?

The fact that a UK comic character from the 50's had to change its name due to their threats to sue.
Sostie
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jul 20 2007, 10:11 AM)
The fact that a UK comic character from the 50's had to change its name due to their threats to sue.

Even though Marvel Man was actually created as a direct replacement for Captain Marvel when the UK publisher lost the rights to publish the UK editions. The 50's Marvel Man wasn't exactly 100% Kosher itself.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 20 2007, 11:21 AM)
Even though Marvel Man was actually created as a direct replacement for Captain Marvel  when the UK publisher lost the rights to publish the UK editions.  The 50's Marvel Man wasn't exactly 100% Kosher itself.

The reason Marvel Man ceased in the 50's was because the wankier DC threatened legal action.

Aye, but the 50's version was fucking pants so who cared. The 80's version is amongst the best work Alan Moore has done (IMH(yet correct)O) and should have been left alone by the suits.

Honestly, the trouble the character's had. Have McFarlane and Gaiman sorted themselves out yet?
Sostie
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jul 20 2007, 10:23 AM)
Aye, but the 50's version was fucking pants. The 80's version is amongst the best work Alan Moore has done (IMH(yet correct)O) and should have been left alone by the suits.

Marvel had trademarked the "Marvel" name before the re-birth in Warrior. It's understandable that they tried to end the use of the name - regardless of how much I love the comic and Moore, I think its understandable

It's also interesting that Captain Marvel which Marvel Man "ripped off" ceased because DC took legal action because it was too similar to Superman!
DC bastrads. biggrin.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
It's DC gorn mad, I tells ya.
Sostie
Walking Dead #42. Been a bit spoilt recently - 3 issues in a month! That usually means you have to wait ages for the next issue, which is a real pisser seeing that 42 ends in a super-duper cliff hanger.

Check out the letters page in #42 as well. Rather sad.
curtinparloe
Just got Secondsoul (Scott Brown and Amin Amat) for 99p from Forbidden Planet.

It's alright, although the drawing leaves a little to be desired, and the story is lost somewhat as a result. Something to read on the train.
Jumpin Jack Flash
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 13 2007, 01:14 PM)
Walking Dead #42.  Been a bit spoilt recently - 3 issues in a month! That usually means you have to wait ages for the next issue, which is a real pisser seeing that 42 ends in a super-duper cliff hanger.

Check out the letters page in #42 as well. Rather sad.

I've just got my copy of 'This sorrowful life' it was bloody good but now I don't know when 'calm before' is comming out.
zeden
Guess who's back...
Is there a single person who reads comics that actually thought he was gone for good?

Been reading Preacher recently. Just about to finish the third book. It's clear to see that the reason Punisher Max blew me away, Ennis is a hell of a writer.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 12 2007, 01:36 AM)
Guess who's back...
Is there a single person who reads comics that actually thought he was gone for good?

And he now carries a gun! Anyone else think we might see him overstepping his bounds and end up being stopped by a returngin 'true' Captain America, much like the Nomad stuff in the 80's?
Verstan
i scanned around for this topic in the media section and couldnt see one so i thought id start one

any one here a fan of comics or graphic novels or anyone who like myself has fallen prey to the alluring temtapion of places like travelling man and forbidden planet latly?
Sostie
QUOTE (Verstan @ Oct 24 2007, 01:15 PM)
i scanned around for this topic in the media section and couldnt see one so i thought id start one

There is, and BAM! you've been merged.
Jubei
I just read Watchmen recently, then passed it on to a friend. I liked it, although the pirate bits were distracting, and the text-heavy end-of-chapter sections were a chore on occasion. My friend, on the other hand, absolutely loved it and won't stop raving about it. I can see the comparisons that were drawn with the story of Heroes season 1.
Verstan
thank you for the merger my bad laugh.gif

yeah got watchmen a while back truly is an awesome comic as good as was said, and probably the only comic that took me several days to finish but then i suppose a lot was crammed into it.

however i'm a pretty big cliche with comics at moment buying mostly batman superman and anything i can with nightwing

anyones thoughts on dc's upcoming Final crisis?
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 12 2007, 01:36 AM)
Guess who's back...

What really sucks about it is that it's not going to be Steve Rogers not having cheated death and returning but someone else taking on the shield, which means that we have to wait around for ages until they inevitably reveal that Steve Rogers really is alive after all. I'd have prefered a stupider but swifter explanation.
maian
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Oct 24 2007, 08:53 PM)
What really sucks about it is that it's not going to be Steve Rogers not having cheated death and returning but someone else taking on the shield, which means that we have to wait around for ages until they inevitably reveal that Steve Rogers really is alive after all. I'd have prefered a stupider but swifter explanation.

I always anticipated it would go that way and it's quite disappointing that they have done so. It's all very well someone picking up the shield and taking up the mantle, but it's obvious that Rogers will return at some point, or a clone of him will, or someone claiming to be the real Steve Rogers who will later turn out to be a fake when the real Steve Rogers comes back into the frame...
Verstan
well remeber the old addage

no one stay's dead in comics other than
uncle ben
jason todd
bucky

however since this unwriten rule was voilated in the last few years...... did you expect him to stay down laugh.gif

wonder if any one will stay dead in comics after this?
Sostie
Walking Dead #43

They are really churning them out at the moment (and 5 more issues promised during the Autumn!).

Did a bit of a "Lost" this issue, but can fully understand why. Every issue has me wanting more.

If the often rumoured TV series ever happens it could be possibly one of the greatest.
Hobbes
i know it's not a comic, but this is the most apt thread to say that i bought and read watchmen last week and it was fucking ace. looking to get hold of the dark knight thingy by frank miller in the near future, as i've heard it's almost as good.

anyway, watchmen. great plot, awesome character development, some gorgeous panels (the mars section especially) and every chapter left me wanting more, even the last one. dark as they come in terms of events, but wonderfully crafted and executed and a joy to behold. moore has written one of the best novels of our time here, and it's a shame that it may get ignored by many as a 'comic'.
maian
Well, it is a comic since it's a graphic novel, but you are right about how brilliant it is. Zack Snyder best not fuck up the film.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Nov 19 2007, 01:17 PM)
i know it's not a comic, but this is the most apt thread to say that i bought and read watchmen last week and it was fucking ace. looking to get hold of the dark knight thingy by frank miller in the near future, as i've heard it's almost as good.

anyway, watchmen. great plot, awesome character development, some gorgeous panels (the mars section especially) and every chapter left me wanting more, even the last one. dark as they come in terms of events, but wonderfully crafted and executed and a joy to behold. moore has written one of the best novels of our time here, and it's a shame that it may get ignored by many as a 'comic'.

I concur with Watchmen, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I am currently reading the first Dark Knight Graphic Novel and so far so very very good. The Batmobile in that one kicks some serious bottom.
Sostie
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Nov 19 2007, 01:17 PM)
i know it's not a comic, but this is the most apt thread to say that i bought and read watchmen last week

I'd call it a comic seeing as it was released as 12 seperate monthly issues before being collected as a "graphic novel".
empathy-with-beast
Watchmen is a comic, but not, as Philip French refered to the things that Neil Gaiman writes in the Observer this weekend, "a comic strip."

I hate Philip French.
Sostie
You'll find that most graphic novels of the 80's/90's are just collections of individual issues or "strips" - Dark Knight, Watchmen, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V For Vendetta etc.

I think the "graphic novel" tag was partly a marketing tool to lure an adult audience.
empathy-with-beast
Nah, a strip is like a three pannel thing like Fred Basset isn't it?
Sostie
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Nov 19 2007, 02:30 PM)
Nah, a strip is like a three pannel thing like Fred Basset isn't it?

Yeah, actually that's right. Backed myself into a corner using V For Vendetta as a an example. It was a story within a weekly, but neither a comic nor a strip. Hmmm, what does that make it?

I wasn't contradicting you sir...my post was directed at the Watchmen comic/graphic novel posts in general.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 19 2007, 02:15 PM)
You'll find that most graphic novels of the 80's/90's are just collections of individual issues or "strips" - Dark Knight, Watchmen, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V For Vendetta etc.

I think the "graphic novel" tag was partly a marketing tool to lure an adult audience.

Too right. I still call them Trade Paperbacks. Proper old school.
ipse dixit
Anyone else read the new Angel yet?

S'alright. The likenesses aren't too good, mind.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Nov 23 2007, 04:28 PM)
Anyone else read the new Angel yet?

S'alright. The likenesses aren't too good, mind.

Where is Illyria? The lack of her and the absence of any Fred or Illyria action figures makes me think Amy Acker is refusing them permission to use her image.

It's not as good as the Buffy comic.
empathy-with-beast
I got my illicit copy of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Black Dossier today.

Also American Virgin 3 which, like so many of the grown up Vertigo books that are actually a collection of drawings of tits, I don't know why I'm buying anymore.

Oh, wait.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Nov 23 2007, 04:39 PM)
makes me think Amy Acker is refusing them permission to use her image.

Judging by the depiction of Gunn, I hardly think that matters.
logger
Having reread Watchmen yesterday I decided to read David Hayter's "legendary" screenplay and I'm now half way through and I have to say I'm rather unimpressed. Apart from some minor (or major depending on your perspective) changes from the original plot that don't really work, the rest of it dosen't have the book's tension and foreboding and the dialogue is basically just exposition more than it ever was when it was comic book dialogue. I really hope Alex Tse's screenplay is much better or I won't be happy with this film.

Here's hoping. smile.gif
empathy-with-beast
I just watched the end of itsjustsomerandomguy's Youtube Marvel vs Dc saga. It almost made me cry.
Peronel
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Nov 26 2007, 10:11 PM)
I just watched the end on itsjustsomerandomguy's Youtube Marvel vs Dc saga. It almost made me cry.

My brother as been showing me these for ages. I better wait for him.
Serafina_Pekkala
I shall be checking out the new Angel. Thanks for the heads-up, Ips. I miss that show ... dvds for 20 in Virgin/New name thingy. Was tempted.

Illyria is one of my favourite characters on reflection cos she has so much potential. She should get her new spin-off as Faith's sidekick or something. And that chick with the electric hands. They could have sexy adventures in leather pants.

Sorry - I digress. I just miss Angel *blub*.
logger
I have downloaded the Frank Miller Daredevils that I read as a kid. It's interesting to see how the comics evolved from the early, before my time, run of the mill comic book fare to the dark and gritty stories that I remembered as a kid. Although I remember owning the issue I didn't remember Matt Murdock's junkie girlfriend selling him out for a fix, I think my nine year old brain mustn't have realised how dark it was. I remember thinking the Nuke storyline was dark at the time, and gave me a soft spot for Captain America, and it's good to see that it still holds up today.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (logger @ Nov 26 2007, 05:16 PM)
I have downloaded the Frank Miller Daredevils

The 'Born Again' storyline is as good as anything Frank Miller has ever done. And I include 'The Dark Knight Returns' in that.
logger
I think they spoiled me as I stopped reading comics soon after.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (logger @ Nov 26 2007, 05:16 PM)
Matt Murdock's junkie girlfriend selling him out for a fix,

That Miller, he sure do have a high opinion of the ladies don't he? They can either be prostitutes, strippers or junkies in his books!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.