Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Nov 27 2007, 12:06 PM)
That Miller, he sure do have a high opinion of the ladies don't he? They can either be prostitutes, strippers or junkies in his books!

That's hardly fair. Sometimes they can be all three.
zeden
Finished Preacher over the weekend. By god is that a good story.
logger
Nice to see that even back in 1979, long before the interweb, fanboys were still sandy vagina-ed twats.

maian
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 27 2007, 07:41 PM)
Finished Preacher over the weekend. By god is that a good story.

Indeed it is. Let's all hope that the HBO miniseries is as awesome as it deserves to be.
maian
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Nov 26 2007, 12:11 PM)
I just watched the end of itsjustsomerandomguy's Youtube Marvel vs Dc saga. It almost made me cry.

It was surprisingly affecting. The final couple of minutes, with the heroes and Stan Lee talking about how much they admire Superman, were particularly touching. I hope he hurries up and makes some more.
empathy-with-beast
I liked Get up soldier .
Rebus
My favourite line from any of them has to be, "Venom just puked over the bacony. I think it's moving!"
maian
My favourite moment in it is now Lewis' signature. Well done.
Crutch
I'm into Tank Girl at the moment. I've even watched the film a couple of weeks ago. The comics are brilliant.
curtinparloe
Watchmen.

Finally reading it properly for the first time, now a friend of mine bought me it biggrin.gif
Peronel
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Dec 11 2007, 12:25 PM)
Watchmen.

Finally reading it properly for the first time, now a friend of mine bought me it biggrin.gif

I'm hoping to read this soon (jumping on the pre-movie bandwagon - er, not that that's what you're doing, Paul).
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Peronel @ Dec 11 2007, 10:45 AM)
I'm hoping to read this soon (jumping on the pre-movie bandwagon - er, not that that's what you're doing, Paul).

How dare they turn it into a film before I've properly finished it! laugh.gif

There are about half a dozen graphic novels I could really do with, but I haven't any money.

Hang on... I have an uncashed giro in my wallet...
gulfcoast_highwayman
Another 'pause' issue for Buffy. I wonder if they are going to do this between each story arc.

It's good to see that me and Willow share the same fantasy woman.
curtinparloe
Over Christmas, I read the following:

Queen and Country - Operation: Broken Ground
It's not too bad, but the illustrator is all wrong.

V For Vendetta
Awesome.

Judge Anderson - Satan
Slight for what it is, really.

Strontium Dog - Search/Destroy Agency Casefiles Vol. 2
More Johnny Alpha fun (includes Portrait of a Mutant)

Watchmen
Possibly even better than I expected. And I expected a lot.

Just about to start on The Complete Ballad Of Halo Jones, and my friend's lending me Death Note vols 1-3.
zeden
Been watching the Deathnote anime myself, it's a corker.

Finished Baslisk recently. Not overly impressed to be honest. Seemed a case of "here's a new character, look at their powers!" hung on a loose Romeo and Juliet type romance plot.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Jan 11 2008, 01:19 PM)
Just about to start on The Complete Ballad Of Halo Jones,

Awesomeness. The third book in particular is outstanding. Alan Moore's secret gem.
Raven
**Warning, the following article contains spoilers!**

'Spider-Man' fans outraged!
empathy-with-beast
Ultimate X-Men Vol. 17

Despite being the collection in which a long dead character returns from the grave to crys of "ah, come on!" from the readership, this volume is more like a return to form for the Ultimate line. At its conception Ultimate X-Men was an attempt to get back to basics with the X-Men concept and make the story one about prejudice and vulnerability rather than featuring adventures into space and wizards etc etc. However there had been a steady veer away from this in volume 16 in which all of a sudden time travelling mutants from the future swing up and the Ultimate lines simplicity and character driven storylines were stripped away in a clatter of future time laser gun fire. voulme 17 has pulled out of this nose dive and hung a couple of issues around good old fashioned meeting new mutnats, team buliding and plotting. Whether this improvement will continue or whether the story line will slip into an abstract space war once more remains to be seen.
Ingram
I finally succumbed and purchased one of the Civil War books that I had been eyeing up on the shelf in Forbidden Planet recently. The art looks fantastic and I am really looking forward to giving it a read when I get a free moment. I was somewhat apprehensive about getting involved in such an intricate series and although I have been following many of the plot developments online there seem to be far too many different serials and issues to absorb the entire arc from everyone’s perspective. In truth, I think I only bought the one I did because it seemed the most general of what they had.
empathy-with-beast
You don't need to read the others particularly , the rest are just fluff.
Ingram
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 26 2008, 08:53 PM)
You don't need to read the others particularly , the rest are just fluff.
Are any of the books dealing specifically with the death of Captain America any good?
thirtyhelens
Alex Cox's Repo Man followup finally arrives... as a graphic novel.

I.... LOVE.... this idea.
curtinparloe
Yay Repo Man!

I've just read Armageddon and Son and The Middle Man. Not bad.

About to start Zombie World: Winter's Dregs.
Sostie
Walking Dead #46

How does Walking Dead continue to pile on shocks and surprises with almost every issue. Outstanding series.
Sostie
Just finished House Of M: Avengers, which was an enjoyable Sapien vs Mutant slugfest.

Two issues in and Twelve seems quite interesting - 12 "superheroes" involved in the march on Berlin in WWII are frozen and buried, then discovered and re-animated 60 years later.

The Boys #16
Still, with Walking Dead, the best title around. Though the final page was a bit disconcerting - Little Hughie, a character whose likeness is based on Simon Pegg, having a wank!
gulfcoast_highwayman
The latest Buffy is a good read, it's the start of a new story arc, and has some interesting developments, not least of which Buffy shags a lass!

Advertised in the back is a new Serenity comic, which comes out next week. Set between Firefly and the film it will at least be worth a look. Adam Hughes is providing covers.
maian
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 6 2008, 06:46 PM)
Advertised in the back is a new Serenity comic, which comes out next week. Set between Firefly and the film it will at least be worth a look. Adam Hughes is providing covers.

I was wondering when that was coming out. I'll have to look out for the collected version when it surfaces.
Crutch
I'm stuck with the first issue of Tank Girl. And man I love it. Lovelovelovelove it.

And next week I'll get The Killing Joke.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Crutch @ Mar 7 2008, 01:10 AM)
And next week I'll get The Killing Joke.

Still the most disappointed I've ever been at an Alan Moore comic, sad to say.
empathy-with-beast
It isn't good because of the story, it's good because of the use of the medium, the pacing of the pannels and stuff like that.
Peronel
Sostie
Walking Dead #48
Another issue, and another post with me spouting how shocking/surprising/outstanding the latest issue is. It nearly wasn't - the cliffhanger ended up being a complete cop-out. But they made up for it in the rest of the issue. The writer Robert Kirkman said that "things were going change". He didn't lie.

Two new titles I'm reading are also worth checking out:

War Is Hell about a gung-ho American pilot who wants to join the fight in WWI, but doesn't seem prepared for the reality of war

Kick-Ass about a comics obsessed teen who tries to become a crimefighter with (initially) very little success
dandan
just finished

not that it took very long, but it's a nice enough collection which made me chuckle. not as good as his 'pyongyang' or 'shenzhen' books...
Starscream`s Ghost
DC: The New Frontier looks to have been made into a regular title - three good stories in there to start with, explaining how Batman actually beat Superman in the original story, Robin and Kid Flash teaming up to save President Kennedy, and Wonder Woman and Black Canary fighting for sisters to be able to do it for themselves.

Cracking stuff.
Sostie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 3 2008, 01:27 PM)
DC: The New Frontier looks to have been made into a regular title - three good stories in there to start with, explaining how Batman actually beat Superman in the original story, Robin and Kid Flash teaming up to save President Kennedy, and Wonder Woman and Black Canary fighting for sisters to be able to do it for themselves.

Cracking stuff.

New Frontier was originally a 6 issue comic book series from a few years ago which has just been released as two collections. Same thing?

I read the first 2 issues but never finished it. Like so many other series I forget to finish them.

Justice League: New Frontier issue #1 was published a few weeks ago.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 6 2008, 10:46 AM)

*sealclaps* Exciting. biggrin.gif
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 3 2008, 01:27 PM)

Cracking stuff.

MY DVD of Justice League: The New Frontier arrived yesterday, by sheer coincidence. Good old Amazon(US version). I'm saving it for a nice Sunday night's viewing.
NiteFall
I picked up the first 3 volumes of the Strontium Dog: SD Files collected editions today. I had almost forgotten just how good early SD was, with Ezquerra's absolutely classic art and Grant and Waner's fantastic writing ~Johnny Alpha really does deserve his place as one of the all time great British comics creations. I'm really looking forward to reading it all.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Apr 4 2008, 04:17 PM)
MY DVD of Justice League: The New Frontier arrived yesterday, by sheer coincidence. Good old Amazon(US version). I'm saving it for a nice Sunday night's viewing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that myself - apparently Jeremy Sisto is the nuts as Batman. And I'll be interested to see what David Boringanus does with Hal Jordan.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 10 2008, 07:42 PM)
I picked up the first 3 volumes of the Strontium Dog: SD Files collected editions today. I had almost forgotten just how good early SD was, with Ezquerra's absolutely classic art and Grant and Waner's fantastic writing ~Johnny Alpha really does deserve his place as one of the all time great British comics creations. I'm really looking forward to reading it all.

They's great, aren't they.

I'll be starting Vol4 very soon.
NiteFall
They certainly are great old cucumber.
maian
I browsed through a collection Alan Moore's DC Comics work and read The Killing Joke, which I've been meaning to read for a long time, and Superman and Swamp Thing: The Jungle Line both of which I personally found to be the best stories I've read concerning either of DC's two most popular heroes.

The Killing Joke was superb and I'll agree with what Lewis posted a while back:

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Mar 7 2008, 08:01 PM)
It isn't good because of the story, it's good because of the use of the medium, the pacing of the pannels and stuff like that.

The whole thing is like a terrifying dip into the Joker's subconscious and really explores the relationship between him and Batman. I thought the ending was particularly brilliant.

The Jungle Line was also great, not least of all because I loved Swamp Thing as a child, but primarily because you so rarely get to see Superman confronting his own mortality. Sure, he occasionally gets into a situation where he might die, but I've never seen him try to face up to the process of dying and preparing for it.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 20 2008, 02:19 PM)
The Killing Joke was superb and I'll agree with what Lewis posted a while back

The whole thing is like a terrifying dip into the Joker's subconscious and really explores the relationship between him and Batman. I thought the ending was particularly brilliant.

It's just a shame that Moore dismisses it so easily these days - it really is amazing.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 13 2008, 07:01 PM)
They certainly are great old cucumber.

But too scary for my poor heartses!
maian
After Kei and Glenn mentioned Alex Ross in the 'Wallpaper' thread, I thought I'd check out some of his work and so read through 'Marvels' this evening.

Needless to say, it was marvellous (excuse the pun). I loved the central idea of some of the biggest events in th Marvel universe (the creation of the original Human Torch, the first appearances of Captain America and the rest of the Avengers, the death of Gwen Stacy) being retold through the eyes of photographer Phil Sheldon and I loved the way it was told, through Ross' beautiful artwork and Kurt Busiek's fluid prose. Some parts of it were quite stunning and showed how inspiring superheroes can be.

The character of Sheldon was also brilliantly written and was a sympathetic narrator. I particularly liked his conflicted feelings about Mutants and his righteous anger at the way that heroes were treated.

Splendid.
NiteFall
Has anyone else picked up the first issue of this years big thing from Marvel- Secret Invasion yet? It has to be said, it has the potential to be bloody amazing if it lives up to this first issue. And apparently they've been setting it up since Avengers Disassembled, so it'll be nice to see how much that is true, as if they have there is potential for some serious plot twistery.

As for who is a Skrull, my bets are on Iron Man- The whole Superhuman Registration Act and Initiative thing would be perfect for an invading alien army to know where to strike
maian
I read Marvel: 1602 today and I was quite impressed. Not as good as some of Neil Gaiman's other work but he took a good concept, Marvel superheroes transplanted to Elizabethan times, and made something hugely entertaining out of it. Admittedly most of the enjoyment stemmed from working out who all the characters were so that may have distracted me from any problems with the story, though the only one I could think of was the explanation for it all, which seemed a bit too neat, even if it did set up a rather nice ending.

Now, a question, should I bother with Batman: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory? What I've read about them sounds interesting, and the fact that they've been cited as influences on The Dark Knight has piqued my interest, but I wanted to know what others who are more comics-literate than myself have to say on them.

Also, if I were to start reading Civil War, now that most of the issues have been collected, where would be best to start?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ May 16 2008, 11:32 PM)
Now, a question, should I bother with Batman: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory? What I've read about them sounds interesting, and the fact that they've been cited as influences on The Dark Knight has piqued my interest, but I wanted to know what others who are more comics-literate than myself have to say on them.

I'd advise it, if only because they'll give you an insight into TDK, and even the movies that are being made.

Plus, they're a great read.
empathy-with-beast
I've only read Long Halloween, it's alright and interesting from thepoint of the movie because it addresses in passing the idea that all the costumed villians in Gotham are Batman's fault. That they've emerged ina response to him bein g there like Gordon says at the end of the first film.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 17 2008, 01:05 AM)
I've only read Long Halloween, it's alright and interesting from thepoint of the movie because it addresses in passing the idea that all the costumed villians in Gotham are Batman's fault. That they've emerged ina response to him bein g there like Gordon says at the end of the first film.

That's one of my favourite comic cliches that Alan Moore turns on it's head in Marvel/Miracleman.
The Warpsmiths describe it as almost a law of physics that once one costumed/powered figure turn up, loads more soon follow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.