Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Flame7581
I came across (and subsequently picked up) a comic called 'Why Not'. It's Xena combined with Ash from Army of Darkness.

So far, it's.. Interesting..

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned on this thread - I'm not sure how long it's been out)
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (maian @ May 16 2008, 11:32 PM)
Also, if I were to start reading Civil War, now that most of the issues have been collected, where would be best to start?

Get Civil War first obviously, that's all you actually need for the story. After that I would suggest the Captain America and Iron Man books, the Frontline books, which is about journalists covering the war, and the standard Spider-man book (rather than Spider-man: Peter Parker or whatever it's called).

I can't remember if you need Road to Civil War as I can't remember if that's got the episode that actually kicks everything off in it or not.

I flicked through some others but they just seemed a bit fillerish, especially the three X-Men books (X-Men, Wolverine and X-Men Universe), three, about a group of people who decided to, and mostly did, remain neutral for the course of the war.
empathy-with-beast
This made me laugh, I am sad.
maian
As am I.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Fuck shitty Secret Wars, I want to see the Crisis re-enactment!
Jessopjessopjessop
Recently I read Alan Moore's 'Top Ten: Volume One' because Lewis said it was the best thing ever. He was wrong, but it was interesting.

A better police procedural with superheroes is Bendis and Oeming's 'Powers', of which I have just read the first three collected books. Drawn like a grungier version of the animated Batman series, it is atmospheric, engaging and witty. Now I have to stop myself buying the other 7 and spending lots of money.
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 21 2008, 06:04 PM)
Recently I read Alan Moore's 'Top Ten: Volume One' because Lewis said it was the best thing ever. He was wrong, but it was interesting.

A better police procedural with superheroes is Bendis and Oeming's 'Powers', of which I have just read the first three collected books. Drawn like a grungier version of the animated Batman series, it is atmospheric, engaging and witty. Now I have to stop myself buying the other 7 and spending lots of money.

I'll have to check both of these out. Especially since Lewis recommended ''Top Ten'' to me about two years ago. At least I finally got around to reading ''The Killing Joke''
empathy-with-beast
Read the second one Adam, and then Smax.
gulfcoast_highwayman
within the next ten days, Amazon should deliver volume 8 of 'The Walking Dead' (yippee) and the tenth and final volume of the magnificent 'Y: The Last Man' (even bigger YIPPEE!).

The latter would make one hell of a TV mini series, with the quality production values that the medium has these days. A film wouldn't be able to cover enough ground in a two hour running time.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ May 25 2008, 02:30 PM)
within the next ten days, Amazon should deliver volume 8 of 'The Walking Dead' (yippee) and the tenth and final volume of the magnificent 'Y: The Last Man' (even bigger YIPPEE!).

The latter would make one hell of a TV mini series, with the quality production values that the medium has these days. A film wouldn't be able to cover enough ground in a two hour running time.

Well, a movie is planned, from D.J. Caruso, but you'll be pleased to hear that it would likely cover three films.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 21 2008, 06:04 PM)

I went and read Powers after this, and felt the way that Adam did about Top Ten, good but not blown away. The DC Animated Universe style doesn't transfer that well to the page in my opinion and I felt like it lacked a sense of place. I liked the superhero/villain talkng heads though.

You know what you should look at and what breaches the gap between the two though? The Boys. One of the character designs is based on Simon Pegg and it's vile yet with genuine heart.

In other news I read the forth Criminal Macarbre book. This was a line originally created by Niles and Templesmith of 30 Days of Night fame and the original volume was pretty strong. This meanwhile was the dictionary definition of by the numbers.

I'm looking forward to the end of Y: The Last Man, even though it's been a bit of an adolescent wank fantasy at times.
Sostie
I was looking through a pile of TPBs/Graphic Novels I have at home and found Predator vs Tarzan In The Lost World! Jesus, some franchises just went silly.
maian
Read The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb (now he's had a varied career) and Tim Sale. I tend to like stuff from the Year One-universe and this was a typically dark and thoroughly entertaining read. I've always been drawn to Harvey Dent as a character and anything that tells his origin will draw me in, and this was a superior retelling. I loved the way it was structured (going from one Halloween to another) and the development of Dent's character over the course of the story. I'm now very much looking forward to reading the follow-up Dark Victory.
Ade
I finally succumbed and purchased the Watchmen trade paperback thingy, should be here by end of the week.
monkeyman
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ May 25 2008, 02:30 PM)

Good choices my man, i have a fair amount of Walking dead on CD but would love to own the Comics properly.

I recently got Berserk Volumes 20,21 and 22. More of the good stuff I love about Berserk smile.gif.
zeden
New Berzerk!? Books or fan translations?

Read the whole of the Age of Apocalypse again recently. Monkeyman kindly provided the whole lot a while ago which filled in a few plot holes not covered in Essential X-Men back when they published the story. Can't help but think of it as my favorite Marvel epic.
Withnail
Grant Morrison's Final Crisis got off to a good start after the 'meh' fest that was Infinite Crisis. Bit of a shock that he killed of The Martian Manhunter though.
NiteFall
Except that we all know he'll come back, as he was alive in the Morrison penned DC 1,000,000 story.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Amazon have sent me a 'trying to locate the items' email for Y; The Last Man and & The Walking Deads latest TPBs.

Has anyone ever had one of these? Do I need to do anything?
mousespider
I've officially begun my journey into comics. I just ordered Ultimate Spider-man Collection vol. 1 and The Boys vol. 1.
curtinparloe
Only three volumes from the end of Death Note now.

It twists and turns like a twisty turny thing.
ipse dixit
^ I'm about to start vol. 11. I wouldn't really say it's good as such, but it's compulsive reading.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jun 5 2008, 12:36 PM)
^ I'm about to start vol. 11. I wouldn't really say it's good as such, but it's compulsive reading.

It sure is.
NiteFall
I've been reading the new(ish) Midnighter series. I'm really enjoying it. Enough of the old sick sense of humour from The Authority to keep it enjoyable, some really, really gruesome kills, and finally some actual character development for the character.
maian
Following on from The Long Halloween, I read Loeb and Sale's Batman: Dark Victory, which was also very good, even if it did feature Robin. Again, Jeph Loeb really managed to capture what I've always found so captivating about Harvey Dent/Two-Face as a character, continuing as he does the tragic arc of the character from his scarring in The Long Halloween to his destroyed mental state in this book. The murder mystery aspect of it was also very well handled, providing plenty of false leads and red herrings to keep me guessing.
maian
Continuing my love affair with their work, I picked up a copy of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's A Superman For All Seasons today and tore through it whilst sipping a coffee. Whilst I don't think it was quite as good as their Batman stories, though I could say that about pretty much any Superman story, I thought that it was terrific and, in much the same way as The Long Halloween/Dark Victory got to the heart of what makes Harvey Dent a great character, these stories really hit at what I love about Superman as a character. Seeing him through the eyes of four different characters was a great idea that allowed for some nice little insights into the character without getting too bogged down in soliloquising. I also really loved Tim Sale's style, particularly his Norman Rockwell-influenced depictions of Smallville and the Kent farm. Not quite as compelling as all the high-contrast, noirish stuff he did in Long Halloween/Dark Victory but still very, very good.
empathy-with-beast
Fixed!

This how I'm going to raise my kids.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jun 20 2008, 03:12 PM)
whoops, mispost.

That sounds like a catchphrase from a 70's sitcom.

Miss Post would a good looking but ditzy woman, who kept making verbal faux pas.
She'd then realise what she'd done and say '........oo-er, I'm sorry. I don't know what to say.....', and you'd reply 'Whoops, Miss Post?'

I'm imagining you as a sort of Captain Peacock character.

I'd be the wisecracking stock bloke, who pops up now and again, and gets a story once a season, and, in a later season, gets a story about how none of you know the real me, but that's going to change!
maian
In anticipation of seeing the film version at some point, I decided to read the original comic of Wanted.

If I could describe it in one word, it would be: urgh.

If I wanted to use more words, I'd go for; derivative, samey and just plain dull.
gulfcoast_highwayman
This month's SFX arrived yesterday and, as a free gift, there's a rather splendid 2000AD set of playing cards. It's got a smashing mix of characters, including plenty from before prog 500 (just about the last time I read it).
gulfcoast_highwayman
Volume 8 of The Walking Dead finally arrived yesterday. My god, it's bleak. And considering the whole series is set in a zombie filled post apocolyspe world, where survivors have locked themselves into a prison to survive, you can imagine it takes quite a bit to make it even more depressing.

They managed it.

I'm going to read it again tomorrow, just to make sure it was a sad as I think.
blackcherry
Can you guys recommend me some good graphic novels? I really liked Preacher, Ghost World and David Boring.

Any suggestions gratefully received smile.gif
empathy-with-beast
So I finished the Y the Last Man series and then went back and read all the tpb's again because it'd had been a year between books 9 and 10 and I'd forgotten what was going on.

I've been hard on this series in the past and with reflection I still think it's a flawed work. The story, very briefly, concerns itself with the last man on earth after everything else with a Y chromsone is wiped out by a mysterious plague. As you can imagine the story is set up for a discussion of feminism and gender issues and this it does, more often than not in a fairly clunky way by having the characters debate the issues like they're undergraduates in a seminar rather than letting the story raise the issues for itself. I've also previously accused the series of beung an adolescent wank fantasy, much like Preacher is in its weaker moments, and certainly the artists choice of style means that world after the plague seems to not only have wiped out all the men but also most of the ugly chicks. This all adds up to a criticism I've got about a lot of Vertigo titles at times that they're "adult" in a tits, blood and smug references way rather than being geuinely mature in the sense of complexity and thoughtfulness.

Having said, this the characterisation and personal stories are pretty engaging, the mystery is well handled, and although it gets a bit knowingly pop culture referency at times the dialogue is strong and there are plenty of nice touches. It's a B/B+ work, that's engaging enough if you want something more than superheroes but isn't up there with the true classics.
Sostie
QUOTE (blackcherry @ Jul 4 2008, 01:00 PM)
Can you guys recommend me some good graphic novels? I really liked Preacher, Ghost World and David Boring.

Any suggestions gratefully received smile.gif

If you like the work of Garth Ennis (Preacher) I suggest you get the The Boys trade paperbacks. However, WARNING:This series contains adult themes, language and images.....it bloody marvellous.

And of course the aforementione The Walking Dead is just fantastic.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jul 4 2008, 12:44 PM)
So I finished the Y the Last Man series...

I'm waiting for our copies of volume 10 to come in at the moment. I do agree with your criticisms of it, but still find it entertaining and more appealing than something like Preacher has ever been to me (yeah yeah, I know it's actually supposed to be excellent). I think it'll transfer well to the screen too, though probably more successfully in a 6- or 8-part TV series than a movie, I'd've thought.
Jessopjessopjessop
I bought and read the 'Powers' 4th trade paperback, 'Supergroup', which was excellent. Despite the very 'cartoony' (I hate that term) style, the atmosphere and pacing come off the page like a movie. I find the whole package really inspirational, meaning it makes me want to draw stuff. This particular storyline was quite gory too, which added some punch.
Ade
I'm currently about halfway through Watchmen. Enjoying it muchly.
curtinparloe
Been raiding the library for TPBs and graphic novels recently:

Ronin
Interesting, if needlessly oblique. Some striking similarities to a story I've been asked to comic-ify.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Deserves its praise as a classic.

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Not as good as the other, but still a ripping read.

Strangehaven
Slow and a little bizarre. Perhaps not bizarre enough, but that could be down to slowness.

Terminal City
Dull, slightly pretentious, and not as witty as it thinks.

Orbiter
Short and a tiny bit weird but quite good.

Tank Girl
Awesexy.

Bizarro-World
Largely silly, although some clever stories.

Age Of Apocalypse - Book 3
Didn't realise it was the third book. Probably the reason it made no sense.

From Hell is next on my list, followed by Daredevil: Born Again...
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Jul 5 2008, 03:20 PM)
followed by Daredevil: Born Again...

Right up there with Miller's greatest work, IMHO. You are in for a treat.
Sean of the Dead
Just read Batman: The Long Halloween because I've heard it was an influence on The Dark Knight. I really enjoyed it, and there's a lot that could be transferred beneficially to the screen.
maian
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Jul 7 2008, 07:09 PM)
Just read Batman: The Long Halloween because I've heard it was an influence on The Dark Knight. I really enjoyed it, and there's a lot that could be transferred beneficially to the screen.

Aye, it's a top class piece of work, particularly with regards to Harvey Dent. Check out Dark Victory next, as it's a direct sequel to The Long Halloween and is just as good.
melzilla
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Jul 5 2008, 03:20 PM)
From Hell is next on my list

This is good.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (melzilla @ Jul 8 2008, 12:15 AM)
This is good.

(half-way through) Hell yes. I was originally put off by the artwork, but I got used to it fairly quickly.

Read some more Strangehaven, vols 2 and 3, and it's really kicked off. Shame they don't have 4 in the library.

Dunno if I mentioned reading Jack Staff before. It was good.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I stopped collecting religously nearly ten years ago, but while I was trying to get to sleep last night I found I could remember the real names of every single member of the Legion Of Super Heroes.

Why can't I be like that with work related knowledge?
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 4 2008, 05:14 PM)
I bought and read the 'Powers' 4th trade paperback, 'Supergroup', which was excellent. Despite the very 'cartoony' (I hate that term) style, the atmosphere and pacing come off the page like a movie. I find the whole package really inspirational, meaning it makes me want to draw stuff. This particular storyline was quite gory too, which added some punch.

Interesting. I've been meaning to check that series out since hearing that it was partly inspired by Homicide: Life On The Street. Might have to look around for some cheap trade paperbacks.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 13 2008, 05:20 PM)
Interesting. I've been meaning to check that series out since hearing that it was partly inspired by Homicide: Life On The Street. Might have to look around for some cheap trade paperbacks.

Really? I can't imagine it's anything more than a name-drop by the writer along with all the best crime-fiction. And of course that it's about two Homicide detectives. Get it though, the TPB's range from 8.99 to 13.99 depending on the number of issues collected.
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 14 2008, 09:27 AM)
Really? I can't imagine it's anything more than a name-drop by the writer along with all the best crime-fiction. And of course that it's about two Homicide detectives. Get it though, the TPB's range from 8.99 to 13.99 depending on the number of issues collected.

I think they cited it as a specific influence in the creation of the series. Thaough, having not read it, I can't say if that goes further than someone sitting there one day and going
''Hmm, how about Homicide...but with superheroes!''
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 13 2008, 05:20 PM)

I didn't like it. It lacks the meat, depth of world and pathos of Top Ten although Adam holds an exactly contrary opinion.

I'll give you my once read copy of the first collection if you like.
maian
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jul 14 2008, 01:37 PM)
I'll give you my once read copy of the first collection if you like.

I'd like that very much, thank you.
NiteFall
I just re-read Ennis and McCrea's quite fantastic Hitman. Then read the 2 part JLA- Hitman crossover which was equally superb and manages to tie in Tommy's prior encounters with Batman, Green Lantern and Superman. There's also a neat little speech from Clark Kent about the nature of being a superhero rather than just someone with superpowers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.