Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comics - what are you reading?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
holly
just spent a fortune in a comic shop so was inspired to come on here and find out what comics you all read?

ok, i'll go first: strangers in paradise, julie doucet/ drawn and quarterly stuff, love and rockets, nightmares and fairytales are the ones which i've just spent all my money on.
anyone got any recomendations?
philt
Same one I've been reading for the past 27 1/2 years. The comic that changed everything. The comic without which there would have been no british invasion no rejigged Swamp Thing, Watchmen, LOEG, From Hell, Preacher. Where people like Brian Bolland, Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill, Dave Gibbons, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Glen Fabry, Jock, Andy Diggle, Pete Milligan, Mike McMahon, Barry Kitson, Simon Bisley, Steve Dillon, John Higgins, Garth Ennis, Frank Quitely, John Smith and others got their breaks. Where the new wave of "next big thing" - Henry Flint, Frazer Irvine, Si Spurrier, D'israeli, Richard Elson, Ian Eddington and Gordon Rennie are plying their trade. And where the giants who defined modern Comics John Wagner, Pat Mills and Carlos Ezquerra still produce exceptional material.

So which comic is this?

2000AD

You know if 2000AD was a European Comic, or Manga or American it would be much more highly rated than it is. It would certainly get more recognition from British fans and comic shops who seem quick to dismiss it's contribution and influence. Pity
sample#136
I'm not a regular reader of comics, I have to admit, but I do pick up the odd manga.

Currently I'm reading Love Hina. Hilarious stuff. biggrin.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (sample#136 @ Nov 13 2004, 09:29 PM)
I'm not a regular reader of comics, I have to admit, but I do pick up the odd manga.

Currently I'm reading Love Hina. Hilarious stuff. biggrin.gif

Buy loads but never get round to reading them all. But am keeping up with

The Walking Dead (letter from Simon Pegg in latest issue!)
Identity Crisis
Battle Royale
Jubei
QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 13 2004, 10:26 PM)
Battle Royale

-I've read the first couple of Battle Royales
-Astro Boy
-Ultimate X-Men
-Wolverine and Gambit (except it isn't Gambit anymore)
Jessopjessopjessop
Black Widow mini series, written by Richard Morgan of Altered Carbon fame.
whitey
Everything I was reading appears to have stopped: Supreme Power, X-Statix. Still reading Amazing Spidey though.

2000AD has gone almost completely rubbish.
philt
QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 14 2004, 06:06 PM)
2000AD has gone almost completely rubbish.

yeah that's right - just keep talking the tablets....
zombiechick
Lenore. Roman Dirge is a genius, ok so there's no big guns or monsters but it's dark, cute and funny.
holly
QUOTE (zombiechick @ Nov 14 2004, 10:08 PM)
Lenore. Roman Dirge is a genius, ok so there's no big guns or monsters but it's dark, cute and funny.

i love roman dirge stuff too it makes me giggle! did you ever see that cartoon onCITV, i think it was written by him or by one of his friends or soemthing.it was dark and very funny , i just cant remember what its called
whitey
QUOTE (philt @ Nov 14 2004, 06:59 PM)
yeah that's right - just keep talking the tablets....

I'm serious. I tried to get back into it last year and aside from Wagner's Dredd strip it was completely shit. Strontium Dog was back but shit, there was some really dreadfully written, painfully unfunny thing called Bec and Kawl, and Slaine was a migraine of photoshopped horrors.
I did want to read Leviathan but I missed almost all of the issues.
MikeN
Supreme Power, Dr Spectrum, The Outsiders, Justice League Elite,Superman/Batman, Catwoman:When in Rome,Fables, The Walking Dead,Toe Tags, Evil Dead:Ashes to Ashes. I'm also collecting 'Wanted' but to be honest I'll be glad when it's done as I'm very disappointed in the series, it had lots of potential but Millar just goes for cheap shock value, bit like his 'Ultimates' series.

Got a stack of Hellboy trade paperbacks for my birthday which I've been devouring over the weekend and loving 'em to bits. I'll second the comments on 2000AD, I too tried to get back into it but that ridiculous 'Bec & Kawl' (which reeked of trying to be a 'supernatural' Spaced series) put me off as well as the continual Sinster/Dexter stories.

Mike.
pick-puff-pickle
I'm still reading 2000AD I still love it....oh and the uncanny x-men - The draco biggrin.gif

Is it just me or are comic shops the best place ever, mines like a gathering place for fellow nerds happy.gif , and the store owners awesome he gets really involved...although he looks nothing like Bill Bailey huh.gif
holly
QUOTE (pick-puff-pickle @ Nov 15 2004, 08:06 PM)
Is it just me or are comic shops the best place ever, mines like a gathering place for fellow nerds happy.gif , and the store owners awesome he gets really involved...although he looks nothing like Bill Bailey huh.gif

ive actually had some pretty bad experiences with comic shops. when i was 15 or so and first getting into comics and didnt know what the hell i was talking about (but trying really hard anyway) the comic guy made fun of and just laughed in my face. that was forbidden planet in leeds if anyones interested, i didnt dare go back for about a year!

but im older and wiser now and wont fall into that trap again. yes i love comic shops i spend hours in there reading and wishing i had more money and smiling to people who are reading the same stuff as me, its an un-said bond smile.gif
whitey
QUOTE (holly @ Nov 16 2004, 09:30 AM)
ive actually had some pretty bad experiences with comic shops. when i was 15 or so and first getting into comics and didnt know what the hell i was talking about (but trying really hard anyway) the comic guy made fun of and just laughed in my face. that was forbidden planet in leeds if anyones interested, i didnt dare go back for about a year!

but im older and wiser now and wont fall into that trap again. yes i love comic shops i spend hours in there reading and wishing i had more money and smiling to people who are reading the same stuff as me, its an un-said bond  smile.gif

the idiots who work in forbidden planet in manchester are a bunch of shits as well.
holly
QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2004, 01:49 PM)
the idiots who work in forbidden planet in manchester are a bunch of shits as well.

thats quite true, i dont like their patronising tones and i feel judged when i place my comics on the counter!
manchester has an ashamedly low number of comic shops. have you been to the new one thats just opened - travelling man?
MikeN
Thankfully I've never had a negative experience with the staff in my local comic shops but I did have an (indirect) encounter with a customer which annoyed me no end. It wasn't a big deal but the person in question was a right twat.

I'm browsing the shelves of an empty comic shop with a friend of mine when in walks a girl and two guys. They stop at the roleplaying section and the girl spots something and makes appreciative noises like "oooh I wonder what this is like?". One of the blokes then says in a slow,smug 'aren't-I-so-witty' tone something along the likes of "Well...why don't you just OPEN THE BOOK and read it?". I gritted my teeth and exchanged a sidelong glance with my friend. I had the overwhelming urge to turn round and make a slow sarcastic clapping for this twat who probably thought he was the modern Oscar-bloody-Wilde.

Mike.
whitey
QUOTE (holly @ Nov 16 2004, 02:44 PM)
thats quite true, i dont like their patronising tones and i feel judged when i place my comics on the counter!
manchester has an ashamedly low number of comic shops. have you been to the new one thats just opened  - travelling man?

where? I like the leeds one.

best comic shop i ever shopped in is david's comics in brighton. they have everything despite being a tiny tiny shop, as opposed to FP in manc which is massive but has fuck all.
Jubei
QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2004, 05:46 PM)

best comic shop i ever shopped in is david's comics in brighton. they have everything despite being a tiny tiny shop, as opposed to FP in manc which is massive but has fuck all.

I have been to VERY FEW comic shops, maybe three in total. FP in Bristol, one in Canterbury... and Davids Comics in Brighton. What a co-inky-dink! I bought the first volume of Battle Royale.
holly
QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 16 2004, 05:46 PM)

well i havent actually been to it myself, but its somewhere around the northern quarter apparantly, i need to get there cuz the leeds one is pretty amazing. they make more of an effort to stock interesting comics rather than what they think is cool and they actually seem to care. they also got a really got stock of indie comics which is amazing

havent been to the brighton one, will check it out when im there for new year.

forbidden planet is so depressing, but its still where i find myself on almost a weekly basis staring at things i cant afford yet!
Amazongirl
Im stuck reading books at the mo...

Last comic I read was Chobits and FLCL since I finished buying them both a couple of months back

*i have no money now*
Excelsior
I blame the diminutive Travelling Man in York for my Authority / Stormwatch habit. I do buy graphic novels off Amazon if I can't find them in York, but I like the guys at Travelling Man so give them my custom when I can. I also bought a rather cool Batman-standing-on-a-corner-of-a-roof-with-Batarang figure from them. The Leeds one is about three times the size of course so they stock a little more!

Interesting thing with the Forbidden Planets (probably my first experience of a really big comic store - been to Newcastle, London, Sheffield, Leeds) is that apparently there're now two slightly different brands. The original stores got split between north and south with different owners, which is why there are 2 different web sites with very similar names. The Leeds branch people explained it to me... I think though my first comic shop experience was in York years back at Nu Earth - probably the first time I even became aware of the existence of dedicated comics shops (other than WHSmiths!) and I still have my Aliens v Predators comics that I bought from Nu Earth. I think it's now a Debenhams or something...!

Oh, and if you happen to be in Sheffield see if you can find the Sheffield Space Centre. It's a little way down from the centre of town but worth a visit. There's also a very small Forbidden Planet there and a few other dedicated RPG gaming sort of shops.
whitey
QUOTE (Amazongirl @ Nov 17 2004, 07:17 PM)
Last comic I read was Chobits and FLCL since I finished buying them both a couple of months back

FLCL is easily one of the best cartoons I've ever seen but the comics make no sense to me. I just can't follow them.
Scribble
Blue Monday, Supreme Power, Hopeless Savages, Powers, Kabuki, Ex Machina, Sleeper, Scott Pilgrim and so on. Four Letter Worlds (*cough* shameless plug) is out in January, and it's ACE.
Lee
I'm reading the "Astonishing X-Men" at the mo, Joss Whedon does X-men it's good stuff, Just reread "The Dark Knight Returns" and I've finally got hold of the Watchmen which I never read when it released.
Amazongirl
QUOTE (whitey @ Nov 17 2004, 11:35 PM)
FLCL is easily one of the best cartoons I've ever seen but the comics make no sense to me. I just can't follow them.

After watching the anime it made a bit more sence

It still doesnt make much sence though

I love it and want the dvds!
OverTilt
I do follow Ranma, which I think is brilliantly absurd. I'm always reading Calvin and Hobbes. There's another, Norwegian comic I read that's called Pondus (in Norway, at least). It's published in England as well, I think, as a daily newspaper strip. It's about a busdriver who's fanatical about Liverpool and has a best friend who digs on the bigger, less beautiful ladies (who don't dig on him.). It's hard to describe properly. If you know what I'm talking about, let me know.

Hmm... I followed Spawn for a bit many years ago, but it turned to shit. Also, I hate that every single new Marvel comic these days tries to mimick the style of Spawn. There's no difference in style anymore. Which is why I'm so glad they finally published League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in Norway. Glad I got to read that.

Other than those... Nah. I read a fair few webcomics. Sinfest, Megatokyo, Penny Arcade, Narbonic, Sluggy Freelance etc.
whitey
QUOTE (Amazongirl @ Nov 20 2004, 04:19 PM)
I love it and want the dvds!

are you multi-region? if so I got mine here.
ella
QUOTE (OverTilt @ Nov 20 2004, 05:39 PM)
I'm always reading Calvin and Hobbes.

Oh Yes. I love Calvin and Hobbes. biggrin.gif

Just finished a Liberty Meadows book, which I loved. Laugh out loud. Also reading a lot of Player Vs Player online.

Read Preludes and Nocturnes recently and the rest of the Sandman series will definately be on my Xmas list. I picked the first one up from Memrobilia at the NEC and I am back there this weekend, so I will be a' hunting for some cheap graphic novels. Will try not to spend more than I make, but I can't promise anything wink.gif
Excelsior
QUOTE (ella @ Nov 22 2004, 01:24 PM)
Oh Yes. I love Calvin and Hobbes.  biggrin.gif

Just finished a Liberty Meadows book, which I loved. Laugh out loud. Also reading a lot of Player Vs Player online.

Read Preludes and Nocturnes recently and the rest of the Sandman series will definately be on my Xmas list. I picked the first one up from Memrobilia at the NEC and I am back there this weekend, so I will be a' hunting for some cheap graphic novels. Will try not to spend more than I make, but I can't promise anything wink.gif

Oooh, the Sandman series. *Twists through 180 degrees* Yup, all still there! It took me so long to get them all that the style of my collection changes halfway through! Great if you can get them in one go and read through at speed, it'll hang together better then.

On the topic of The Dark Knight Returns - I love that book. My copy is quite literally coming apart at the seams. "There are seven working defences from this position. Three disarm with minimal contact. Three kill. The other... *KRAK* hurts." Niiiiiice tongue.gif
ella
*Twists through 180 degrees*

Not in a scary exorcist type way though, I hope? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Excelsior @ Nov 22 2004, 10:48 PM)
Oooh, the Sandman series.  *Twists through 180 degrees*  Yup, all still there!  It took me so long to get them all that the style of my collection changes halfway through!  Great if you can get them in one go and read through at speed, it'll hang together better then.

I saw the whole collection at Memorabilia, spread across various stalls, but I was feeling a bit cash-poor and didn't buy them. Why??!! I regret that decision now rolleyes.gif

I did make one purchse though - "Tozzer" - never heard of it before, but I liked the look of the artwork - kind of Penny Arcade. Its a kind of white trash spoof of Harry Potter, with appearences from various big, satirical movie characters - I particularly liked Morphius as Morphine, the Dumbledore character.
Jubei
Am reading the Ultimate X-Men Graphic Novels. My housemate has bought the first 4, last night i read 2 volumes, and I've got 2 more for tonight. Reading them too fast like this though. sad.gif
whitey
Re-reading From Hell. Moore's a fucking wizard.
holly
oh and just recently got into adrian tomine stuff, i love it so much. i cant wait for my student laon to come in january so i can bombard travelling man in manchester yay!
tameblue
Being a the only person in the known world that thinks Buffy is shite,(sorry, really wanted to like it, but it's a bunch of cock)...shuddered when I found Joss Wheldon fella was taking his grubby little paws in the direction of my lovely X-Men...but...well let's say I was suprised.

But I'm watching you sun-shine!
Lazlo Woodbine
I've been reading Volume 1 of the Essential, Uncanny X-Men. Since i thought it was about time i did.
MikeN
Picked up the first TPB of "The Walking Dead" - "Days gone bye" the other day and loved it. I've dived into the story at around issue #9 so it was really interesting to see how it all started.

In addition to that I collected my issues of "Outsiders", "Ashes 2 Ashes", "Dr. Spectrum", "BPRD - The Dead" & "Fables".

Mike.
spookytwigg
I generally read anything by Jhonen Vasquez... and Arron Alexovich (ok.. he's only got one so far... but when he's made other comics I WILL buy them tongue.gif). Stuff like "teenagers from mars" which was uber cool... used to collect x-men stuff... but now theres too many comics and I have too little cash tongue.gif... Though I'm quite intrested by the fact that Joss has been writing some... how longs that been going on?

Well... other than meaning to get the Hellsing and megatokyo comics... thats about all I've been getting recently...
Douglas Nicol
ATM, I'm reading the Emma Frost miniseries.
ella
Fururama-o-rama. Is good. Is very good. smile.gif
Jubei
Have just read 1602 by Neil Gaiman, Andy Kubert and Richard Isanove. A very odd re-imaging of the Marvel universe, with many heroes and villains appearing hundreds of years early in hitory, 1602 to be precise, as the universes answer to a mysterious temperal phenomonon. Brings together Beast (Hal McCoy), Jean Grey, Cyclops (Scotius Somerisle), Archangel (Robert Drake - son of Sir Francis), Nick Fury (Sir Nicholas Fury), Dr Strange, Daredevil, Black Widow, Dr (Otto Von) Doom, Mr Fantastic, The Human Torch, The Thing and Susan Storm (Four traveller on the good ship 'Fantastick'), Spiderman (Peter Parquagh), Magneto (Enrique), Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Captain America, Toad, Grey Hulk, and some others who I couldn't recognise. Definately worth reading if you are a marvel fan.

I also noticed on the Marvel website that Richard Morgan, of Altered Carbon fame, has written an issue of Black Widow, with Nick Fury in it.
Sean of the Dead
The last comic I read was.....Simpsons Comics. I know it's not a "proper" comic really but I didn't go to my local Comic Shop this week so I had to settle for *sigh* Tesco's.
sad.gif *Shame*
holly
nightmares and fairytales rocks lots!

i want comics for xmas!
dismember
I just finished Maus by Art Spiegleman
it was amazing.. i highly recommend it.
Jinx
Aaaah, I have found my people. I gave up collecting comics until the beginning of 2004. I started again in January and have spent too much. New year's resolution for this year is not to pay for any more comics that I don't look forward to feverishly. So far this year's list is;

Hellblazer - you gotta love John
The Losers - Hasn't started sucking, but there've been a couple of dicey moments.
Lenore - Funny stuff, whatever your mood and however drunk/goofed/sober you may be.
Human Target - Started off well, but if I'm not blown away by the next story arch, I'm jacking it in.

And although it's a mini, Grant Morrison's We3 is the best thing I've read all year.
holly
QUOTE (dismember @ Dec 23 2004, 02:38 PM)
I just finished Maus by Art Spiegleman
it was amazing.. i highly recommend it.

i had to read maus for my uni course i loved it, its so dark!

oooh i got a bundle of comics for xmas im so happy! anyone ever read hothead paisan! was in a bad mood the other day and felt a bit like her!
Deaths Head
For Christmas I finally got some Hellblazer - why I've never read this before is beyond me. I mean, the guy is a chain-smoking alcoholic, tail-chasing Londoner who has a habit of making his life worse with each passing moment. I sympathise, and yet can't help but castigate.

Also, the Sleeze Brothers, an old Marvel UK title from the time of Death's Head and Dragon's Claws. Very funny.

Oh, and more Invisibles. Pure genius.
Excelsior
QUOTE (Deaths Head @ Dec 27 2004, 10:43 PM)
For Christmas I finally got some Hellblazer - why I've never read this before is beyond me. I mean, the guy is a chain-smoking alcoholic, tail-chasing Londoner who has a habit of making his life worse with each passing moment. I sympathise, and yet can't help but castigate.

Also, the Sleeze Brothers, an old Marvel UK title from the time of Death's Head and Dragon's Claws. Very funny.

Oh, and more Invisibles. Pure genius.

Where on Earth (or equivalent in a parallel universe) did you manage to find the Sleeze Brothers? I had my original copies until a few years ago, along with the first UK runs of Dragon's Claws and Death's Head - have they been quietly re-released as trade paperbacks at all? You can, of course, see Death's Head's Transformers debut in the Transformers graphic novels which are out. Might even be able to sort you a good head shot for your avatar. For the right price, yes? cool.gif
ella
Just finished Liberty Meadows 2 - Creature Comforts which I got for Christmas. Great stuff. Now I am ploughing through my boyfriend's PVP collection.
Starscream`s Ghost
All the Dreamwave Transformers stuff, along with Devil`s Due`s take on GI Joe/Transformers. Not a bad crossover, if a little facile. Still, it`s very readable.

And DDP`s ongoing GI Joe series, a franchise I`m finding myself fall in love with again, after a long time having forgotten about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.