Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: US Spaced remake
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
sapphirejedi
If this has been posted already, then I apologize....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071030/tv_nm/spaced_dc

Fox "Spaced" out on Brit sitcom

By Nellie Andreeva 47 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Fox is developing a comedy based on the British series "Spaced," which revolves around two strangers who pose as a married couple in order to rent an apartment.
ADVERTISEMENT

The original series, which ran on Channel 4 for two seasons, was written by Simon Pegg ("Shaun of the Dead") and Jessica Hynes, who starred as the fake couple.

Adam Barr ("Will & Grace") is writing the script for the Fox version; the network has committed to a pilot.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

The only bright side of this is it might help get the original released here in the States on DVD. People normally like to see the original to compare. Then again, they might not want to do that. Anything the US makes will pale in comaprison...
AusChick
I really don't see this as a good idea.

Edgar has just posted a blog saying that they haven't even bothered to contact him regarding this!

That completely sucks!

This whole thing smells of no good.
sapphirejedi
Maybe Edgar, Simon, and Jess can keep this bad idea in permanent limbo. I don't want them to take one of THE BEST SHOWS EVER, and turn it into ca-ca. 9 times out of 10, when the US "borrows" a TV show idea from the UK, it ends in disaster. I guess I'm just a narrow-minded ole grumpy-gut, but that's how I feel.
AusChick
Edgar seems to think that he has no veto power on this
sapphirejedi
Yeah, I read that on myspace. God, can't we come up with one GOOD idea on our own here without having to steal from the Brits? Heck, we even steal their reality shows! All we give to the world is Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Lindsay Lohan. I do apologize for that BTW wink.gif
AusChick
And if the shows are good enough to steal - then why not just screen them as is???

Do the US TV executives really believe that Americans will have some terrible aversion to watching English stuff?
sapphirejedi
I believe they do. My brother and dad, with the exception of soccer, had an aversion to watching anything that wasn't from the US (My mom, being the genius that she is, always loved British TV and film). I sat them down to watch HF and Shaun of the Dead, and now they're hooked. I even had my dad watching Top Gear with me now (BTW-they showed Pegg's epi tonight. Brilliant!!!)

I've basically converted to Brit TV only. The only American show I watch anymore is Lost. Sadly though, many Americans are snobs when it comes to TV. Most of them don't even know that most of what they're watching comes from Britian, as does many of the actors they love soooo much. My aunt didn't even know Hugh Laurie was English 'til she saw him on one of my Black Adder DVDs. Sad, isn't it?
ipse dixit
We can only hope that Fox will dick it around like so many other shows and it'll get cancelled after a couple of episodes.
Hawk the Slayer
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Oct 30 2007, 09:26 AM)
We can only hope that Fox will dick it around like so many other shows and it'll get cancelled after a couple of episodes.

McG might be directing too - oh joy...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797497...d=1236&cs=1&p=0
Raven
In a perverse kind of way, I'm actually interested to see what they will do with this!

She's probably too old for it now, but Bea Arthur for Marsha?! tongue.gif
m0r1arty
I'm with Raven on seeing how it might work out.

Who know...maybe there will be a 3rd series (albeit in a weird US way)

-m0r
Raven
This is stirring a kind of macabre interest in me; I'm having Caroline in the City type visions of what the show would look like with Tim the aspiring artist and Daisy the aspiring writer sharing their Manhattan loft conversion.

Brian is the weird eccentric living downstairs, played in a Reverend Jim (Christopher Lloyd's character from Taxi) kind of way, with Twist being Daisy's glamorous but bubble-headed best friend from her High School days (missing the point, she probably does work for a NY fashion house). Mike would be slightly dim-witted college roommate of Tim's, who lurches from one relationship to another alá Joey from Friends.

God what a road accident - it can't fail!
m0r1arty
Let's set up really poor casting for now.

Brian Krause (aka Leo from Charmed) as Tim...

I was going to do more but I've hit rock bottom already.

Maybe Wil Wheaton as Brian, that might actually work...

-m0r
Jon 79
If this goes ahead, I think they should have Simon, Jess & Edgar as co-writers or at the very least, script editors.
If this isn't the case, I hope they do something original with it: It's fair enough to have the same characters or plot set ups,... but they should really have new script/jokes... otherwise it's just a poor quality cover version, ...and they might as well overdub the original with american accents.

It's gonna be crap though, isn't it?... sad.gif
Rua
Fuck it.

We should all go & audition.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 30 2007, 11:34 AM)
Fuck it.

Whatcha me-he-hean?

Alright.
Jimmay
I can see the set up purely being based around two strangers sharing an apartment and the hilarious antics that ensue around that. I can see all of the movie references being omitted and them just sticking with the most basic of premises.
AusChick
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 30 2007, 10:39 AM)
I can see the set up purely being based around two strangers sharing an apartment and the hilarious antics that ensue around that.

Great minds think alike Jimmy.
I posted this on MySpace a little while ago...

Here's my prediction: They will make a show about two singles who pretend to be a couple in order to get a flat. The similarities with the original will end there. There will be lots of hi-jinks and shenanigans and hillarity will ensue (not much).
Raven
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Oct 30 2007, 10:33 AM)
It's gonna be crap though, isn't it?...  sad.gif

Hopefully!
curtinparloe
Joey meets Will and Grace.
Rua
QUOTE (AusChick @ Oct 30 2007, 10:46 AM)
Here's my prediction: They will make a show about two singles who pretend to be a couple in order to get a flat. The similarities with the original will end there. There will be lots of hi-jinks and shenanigans and hillarity will ensue (not much).

Wait a minute.... aren't you two meant to be?.... I mean... but if he's in there with her.....

Oh man! The landlady's gonna' be pissed!
Zoe
This is going to be awesomelarious.

How many seasons id Sanford and Son run for? Ho ho ho.
sapphirejedi
It'll probably be a lame Three's Company/ W&G, just in reverse. Afterall, the dude adapting it for the US worked on W&G.

I just can't see anyone else in those roles. They were born of Simon & Jess. They ARE Tim and Daisy!!!!! Ugh!!
Zoe
Aren't they more likely to go with unknowns in the central roles?
Sostie
I really want to see this.

Tim & Daisy will remain pretty much the same career wise...names will probably change to Cherry & Chuck or something. Mike will become a gung-ho Army reservist, Brian will be pretentious and European, Marsha will not drink (alcohol in a sit-com!!) but will become a bit "ditsy". Twist will become a Puerto Rican drag queen.

It won't be called Spaced. Instead something like Room For Two or Cherry & Chuck or Strange Relationship or Room For Rent.

The theme will be an upbeat pop number that will repeat the show's title over again.

It won't go beyond the pilot.
Zoe
Or like the Office remake, it'll be quite good and effectively Americanised, leading to a very different but worthwhile series in its own right.

I can't quite believe it, but I am fascinated to see the outcome.

I almost hope it's brilliant, but this remains the main thread for discussing it, alarmist title and all. Tee hee.
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 30 2007, 10:59 AM)
It won't go beyond the pilot.

Ah, but it's a Fox show, they will only cancel it if it is good!
Sostie
Part of me would like to see a successful transfer like The Office.

But a morbid part of me also wants to see a disastrous transfer like Fawlty Towers.
Raven
I'm hoping for the latter!
Zoe
It's a win/win situation.

I'm quite excited!
Sostie
Hope they give Tim a monkey.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 30 2007, 10:39 AM)
I can see the set up purely being based around two strangers sharing an apartment and the hilarious antics that ensue around that. I can see all of the movie references being omitted and them just sticking with the most basic of premises.

QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 30 2007, 10:59 AM)
Tim & Daisy will remain pretty much the same career wise...names will probably change to Cherry & Chuck or something.  Mike will become a gung-ho Army reservist, Brian will be pretentious and European, Marsha will not drink (alcohol in a sit-com!!) but will become a bit "ditsy". Twist will become a Puerto Rican drag queen.

Nice. More suggestions, courtesy of my work mate...

QUOTE (AJ)
I just can’t see how this could translate at all, and my brain is instantly running away with all the ways it will have all its spiky British edges filed off.

1) The characters all live in a large and comfortable condo complex, with seventeen pools, despite the fact that they are all unemployed. Martha Kleinholdts’s husband was a Vietnam vet who ran off with a former Viet Cong soldier during a return visit to commemorate the death of his buddies, leaving her with a large sum of money. She used to be the successful director of a sporting goods company, but was forced out for being just too damn good at her job.

2) Tim Beaslingdale is a brown-haired high-class computer hacker, who spends his days rubbishing films and TV shows on Ain’t It Funny News, and allowing the writers to wheel out a Matrix parody whenever they’re feeling particularly inspired. He is heir to an enormous white-collar fortune, and has just dumped his girlfriend of five years because she was a brunette, had small breasts, and just wasn’t pretty enough for him any more. He occasionally works in a comic shop, which just happens to be in the mall that his father owns, because he likes taking the piss out of pathetic geeks who can’t afford high-class computer systems like his own.

3) Daisy Steinsberger is a statuesque blonde who jogs five miles daily, and is only poor because she spent all of her college fund on her enormous breast implants. She’s, like, really into world peace, saving the Jews, and, like, making sure that all the black folks have enough to eat after Hurricane Cortina.

4) LeMichel Watt is a strapping black man, played by a ‘comedian’ best known for subbing for Eddie Murphy on the direct-to-DVD sequels to all of his worst movies. One of the straplines Fox uses to advertise the series is ‘Featuring the Hard-Hitting Urban Comedian from Daddy Day Care III’. LeMichel is an Iraq veteran, and a true patriot,

5) Byron ‘On’ Topp is a successful artist from San Francisco, who is totally, screamingly gay. He wears a beret, and most scenes begin and end with his catchphrases: “Who wants some pork?” and “Oh, go suck a testicle.”

6) Tits Morgan is a successful glamour model and Playboy centerfold, and a college friend of Daisy’s. She works as a fashion designer for a prestigious Italian house. She’s bisexual, and hilarity ensues when she attempts to seduce both Tim and Daisy at the same beat-crunking house party.

7) The show is shot on a soundstage with eight different cameras, with a laugh track. They save their location shoot (of the beach) for sweeps week and the season finale (when Tim and Daisy sleep together for the first time).

8) Storylines for the first twenty-six episode season include:
    a) Tim accidentally shaves off the bottom part of his beard in a farcical shower sequence, and must then avoid the hideous attentions of the totally gay Byron, who has fallen deeply in love with his moustache.
    b) Daisy and Tits try to outdo each other in cup size, when they each go in for lunchtime breast augmentation surgery, and Tim is forced to adjudicate.
    c) LeMichel starts coming apart and believing he is back in Baghdad, so Tim and Daisy pretend to be fellow soldiers in order to bring him through his dangerous – and hilarious! - hallucinations intact.
    d) Tim’s dad has bought Tim his very own mall and hotel complex – but will Tim decide to stay in his current job, with his friends, or will he be lured away by even larger amounts of money?
    e) Byron has a big art show with his totally gay ex-boyfriend lover man. Will they have totally hilarious gay sex together in the same bed? Yes. Then they will select some drapes, and make a catty comment about LeMichel’s cut-off trousers.
    f) Martha’s ex-husband comes back into town with his Vietnamese girlfriend. Martha sees yellow, and starts randomly firing her shotgun into the condo complex. Tim and Daisy have to break into a military compound and steal a tank in order to shoot her down, if the power of a hard rock soundtrack can’t stop her.
Zoe
Did anyone see 'The Comeback'? I have an image of their show within a show 'Room and Bored', with Lisa Kudrow's character as Marsha.

He he he.
Sostie
Why not raise the comedy level...two straight guys/girls pretending to be a gay couple to get an apartment. And they have monkeys.

I always thought one thing Spaced lacked was monkeys.
sapphirejedi
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Oct 30 2007, 06:18 AM)
Nice. More suggestions, courtesy of my work mate...

QUOTE (AJ)
I just can’t see how this could translate at all, and my brain is instantly running away with all the ways it will have all its spiky British edges filed off.

1) The characters all live in a large and comfortable condo complex, with seventeen pools, despite the fact that they are all unemployed. Martha Kleinholdts’s husband was a Vietnam vet who ran off with a former Viet Cong soldier during a return visit to commemorate the death of his buddies, leaving her with a large sum of money. She used to be the successful director of a sporting goods company, but was forced out for being just too damn good at her job.

2) Tim Beaslingdale is a brown-haired high-class computer hacker, who spends his days rubbishing films and TV shows on Ain’t It Funny News, and allowing the writers to wheel out a Matrix parody whenever they’re feeling particularly inspired. He is heir to an enormous white-collar fortune, and has just dumped his girlfriend of five years because she was a brunette, had small breasts, and just wasn’t pretty enough for him any more. He occasionally works in a comic shop, which just happens to be in the mall that his father owns, because he likes taking the piss out of pathetic geeks who can’t afford high-class computer systems like his own.

3) Daisy Steinsberger is a statuesque blonde who jogs five miles daily, and is only poor because she spent all of her college fund on her enormous breast implants. She’s, like, really into world peace, saving the Jews, and, like, making sure that all the black folks have enough to eat after Hurricane Cortina.

4) LeMichel Watt is a strapping black man, played by a ‘comedian’ best known for subbing for Eddie Murphy on the direct-to-DVD sequels to all of his worst movies. One of the straplines Fox uses to advertise the series is ‘Featuring the Hard-Hitting Urban Comedian from Daddy Day Care III’. LeMichel is an Iraq veteran, and a true patriot,

5) Byron ‘On’ Topp is a successful artist from San Francisco, who is totally, screamingly gay. He wears a beret, and most scenes begin and end with his catchphrases: “Who wants some pork?” and “Oh, go suck a testicle.”

6) Tits Morgan is a successful glamour model and Playboy centerfold, and a college friend of Daisy’s. She works as a fashion designer for a prestigious Italian house. She’s bisexual, and hilarity ensues when she attempts to seduce both Tim and Daisy at the same beat-crunking house party.

7) The show is shot on a soundstage with eight different cameras, with a laugh track. They save their location shoot (of the beach) for sweeps week and the season finale (when Tim and Daisy sleep together for the first time).

8) Storylines for the first twenty-six episode season include:
    a) Tim accidentally shaves off the bottom part of his beard in a farcical shower sequence, and must then avoid the hideous attentions of the totally gay Byron, who has fallen deeply in love with his moustache.
    b) Daisy and Tits try to outdo each other in cup size, when they each go in for lunchtime breast augmentation surgery, and Tim is forced to adjudicate.
    c) LeMichel starts coming apart and believing he is back in Baghdad, so Tim and Daisy pretend to be fellow soldiers in order to bring him through his dangerous – and hilarious! - hallucinations intact.
    d) Tim’s dad has bought Tim his very own mall and hotel complex – but will Tim decide to stay in his current job, with his friends, or will he be lured away by even larger amounts of money?
    e) Byron has a big art show with his totally gay ex-boyfriend lover man. Will they have totally hilarious gay sex together in the same bed? Yes. Then they will select some drapes, and make a catty comment about LeMichel’s cut-off trousers.
    f) Martha’s ex-husband comes back into town with his Vietnamese girlfriend. Martha sees yellow, and starts randomly firing her shotgun into the condo complex. Tim and Daisy have to break into a military compound and steal a tank in order to shoot her down, if the power of a hard rock soundtrack can’t stop her.

laugh.gif You know what the funniest part is? If the writers saw this post, they'd probably use your work mate's ideas. They steal everything else..... LoL
Zoe
I vote Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson as Tim and Daisy.

he he he
ipse dixit
He's come up with a theme tune now too:

[jingle jangle guitar pop]
They’re a guy and a gal who’re young and out of college
She’s got the breasts, he’s got the facial foliage
They’re not dating, though they’ve prob’ly had sex
Their condominium home is filled with nervous wrecks

LIIIIIIIIVING SPACE – they all want it
LIIIIIIIIIVING SPACE – they all need it
LIIIIIIIIVING SPACE – you can have it
If you onleeee preeeetend to beeeeeee

A couple

(cut to black)
Sostie
Owen Wilson as Tim
Alyson Hannigan as Daisy
The Stath as Mike
Lisa Kudrow as Marsha
Emo Phillips as Brian
Paris Hilton as Twist
Hank Azaria as Duane
Arnie as Private Iron
Ed Harris as Tyres
A monkey as The Monkey

Make it!
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 30 2007, 11:47 AM)
Alyson Hannigan as Daisy

I'd watch it for that alone!
widowspider
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 30 2007, 11:34 AM)
Fuck it.

I always wanted to be in Spaced. Maybe this is my chance!
curtinparloe
I doubt the new Tim will have a beard. The American media seems to fear beards.
Rua
QUOTE (widowspider @ Oct 30 2007, 01:07 PM)

They'll probably make Mike a girl anyway.

You're in.
Jubei
An Empire article about this. They are duly sceptical.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (sapphirejedi @ Oct 30 2007, 04:25 AM)
9 times out of 10, when the US "borrows" a TV show idea from the UK, it ends in disaster.

Nine times out of 10 they don't get past the acquiring of the rights stage. There's a lot between getting the rights and even getting a pilot shown to the public. I honestly don't see this even getting to that stage.
Raven
Reading the original Variety article a pilot has been ordered so I would guess it is going to get at least that far.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 30 2007, 03:47 AM)
Emo Phillips as Brian

That's the best thing I've read all week. Thanks, Sos, I needed that.

QUOTE (widowspider @ Oct 30 2007, 05:07 AM)

You're a shoo-in for the Olivia Williams role, Rache.
frostitute
LOL

I wonder who is gonna play Nick
widowspider
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Oct 30 2007, 06:32 PM)
That's the best thing I've read all week.  Thanks, Sos, I needed that.
You're a shoo-in for the Olivia Williams role, Rache.

I claim Sophie. I have the hair. biggrin.gif
thirtyhelens
Oh, I think you'd be a brilliant Sophie, Rache. For some reason I'm having visions of vampy young Marcia Cross type being their ideal, though.... and then when she tells Tim she's going to Seattle she pulls off her hair to reveal A HUGE FUCK OFF SCAR!

Now that might be worth seeing. Might.
Everlong
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 30 2007, 11:47 AM)
Alyson Hannigan as Daisy

That'd be superb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.