Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flight of the Conchords
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Zoe
I am designating Bret and Jemaine their own thread, so they've got a bit more room to spread out and get comfortable. Imagine this thread as Jemaine's new apartment. Those cleaning products were there when we moved in, OK?

Right.

Adorable animations written, directed and voiced by Jemaine (and Guy Capper) can be found here:

http://www.myspace.com/robertandsheepy

Awwwwww.
Sostie
I have a question. Where did they get the name from? Anyone know?
Zoe
Can you tell us how you came up with the band name, Flight of the Conchords? What does it mean?

Jemaine: We always avoid answering this, but it's actually the toilet at the frat we lived at. It was a Conchord. That really invites some bad headlines for reviews, doesn't it? Please don't take advantage of that.
Sostie
I thank you. Named after a toilet!
Zoe

Why does the phone have a camera glued to it?

It's a camera-phone.
Sostie
If there is one thing I have noticed over the weeks, it's that Jemaine does have quite a nice collection of jackets.

Not that I can see myself in any of them.
Zoe
I flippin love that mutha flippin coat.

He also has a very fine line in cowboy shirts.
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 2 2007, 04:19 PM)
I flippin love that mutha flippin coat.

He also has a very fine line in cowboy shirts.

He had a fetching, and original looking, denim jacket the other night.

I have an uncle who has wardrobes of cowboy shirts (many tailor made). I only have one, which I have grown out of. All the cool old folks wear them. I wonder if Jemaine would like to hang out with me and Uncle Frank. He playus the accordian. We could have a jam session.
Jessopjessopjessop
I like Bret's jumpers and bodywarmer!

Can anyone furnish me with a high-res promo image of the guys? I've got a little idea for a project...
thirtyhelens

Hi-res enough fer ya, Ad?
Serafina_Pekkala
Jemaine's jackets are superb. All the more reason why I should marry him on a sand dune and our children shall form a band and tour the world etc etc*. And I shall mispell his name no more. H's sixy. (Kiwi speak - sorry Anni smile.gif )

Jemaine's sixy bass voice and dad style knee-bent bopping WITH THE COOL COAT

* don't spoil my dream. I know it will never happen *blub*
maian
For anyone who didn't believe that Bret really is in Lord of the Rings:

Anni
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 4 2007, 12:20 PM)
For anyone who didn't believe that Bret really is in Lord of the Rings:

It's not that unbelievable since the entire population of NZ was in this movie.

Seriously, I know atleast 5 people who were extras.
maian
I was gioing to say that but felt it may be perceived as propogating a national stereotype. Thanks for doing it for me.

The main reason I posted it was because Ade and Jessop seemed unsure when I told them at the Leeds Meet that he is in Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King.
Anni
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 4 2007, 01:16 PM)
I was gioing to say that but felt it may be perceived as propogating a national stereotype. Thanks for doing it for me.

The main reason I posted it was because Ade and Jessop seemed unsure when I told them at the Leeds Meet that he is in Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King.

It's only ok if I do it. wink.gif

Yeah there was this whole big obsession about Bret being in those 2 movies.. Where he was dubbed 'Figwit'. There was even a documentary made in 2003 about this strange obsession. Which aired again recently and I watched it... Really quite amusing! Also a little scary. Okay, a lot scary. The obsessive fans raised money and named a dolphin Figwit.

Anyway more onto the topic of Flight of the Conchords, since they're coming back to Wellington to think up new material, I really do hope they'll do a few gigs to road test it. Would be grand...
Ade
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 4 2007, 01:16 AM)

I was merely amazed that I hadn't spotted him in the films before.

Thanks for finally blowing our cover though - We could have remained as Unbelievers in silent shame, but ohhh no....
Zoe
Surely everyone knows Bret is in 'Lord of the Rings'? Figwit is an internet phenomenon.

I spent over an hour talking to a girl from NZ last night, mainly trying to perfect the accent... I failed.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 4 2007, 11:26 AM)
I spent over an hour talking to a girl from NZ last night, mainly trying to perfect the accent... I failed.

Just mux all your vowels around and sometimes, don't even say thim. One of my good pals and ex-flit-mate was from N'Zillund.

And to think she made fun of my accint!
Anni
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Nov 5 2007, 12:38 AM)
Just mux all your vowels around and sometimes, don't even say thim.  One of my good pals and ex-flit-mate was from N'Zillund.

And to think she made fun of my accint!

Yeah that's pretty accurate. Sometime I really hate our accent...
melzilla
QUOTE (Anni @ Nov 5 2007, 05:42 AM)

I think it's aceness.
thirtyhelens

It's crossed over from "HBO loves me" into "HBO is courting me with an eye on a June wedding."
Atara
I want to buy this, infact I will.
Zoe
Weird, mine arrived today too, but I didn't make such an excited face.

Guys, stop chatting and go to sleep.

Sorry Murray...

Man/man/lady threesomes are the best.
Serafina_Pekkala
I hate everyone with a Conchords DVD. *duz sad face* When I say hate I mean 'is filthy jelus'.

Man/man/lady threesomes are the best.

They have been taken to new heights.

Anni - New Zealand accents are brillness. Be proud!
Zoe
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Nov 6 2007, 08:48 PM)
They have been taken to new heights. 

Yeah, my man/man/lady threeway looks rubbish now.

And the twosomes? Awful.

In response to manyhelens excited DVD pose, I decided to do what any self-respecting Conchords' superfan would do...

Stick it down my top and make a 'Mel face'

Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 6 2007, 08:56 PM)

Zoe made me rofl.

My favourite whoring in a while.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 6 2007, 12:02 PM)
Weird, mine arrived today too, but I didn't make such an excited face.

Gifts of Hiphopopotamous and Rhymenoceros schwag from on high at Hubbo makes me spaz. It's a reflex action.

When I got the Six Feet Under series box, it's amazing my face didn't cave in on itself.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 6 2007, 08:56 PM)
Yeah, my man/man/lady threeway looks rubbish now.

And the twosomes? Awful.

In response to manyhelens excited DVD pose, I decided to do what any self-respecting Conchords' superfan would do...

Sexiest. photo. ever.
Zoe
Thunks

I was vury sad when I hid to take thim out to go to bid.

At least I've got the webcam of their bedroom to watch!
gulfcoast_highwayman
I looked that sad when last night's ended and there'd been no Mel.
Zoe
I was disappointed too, I don't remember her being in the next two episodes much either...

But she's back with a vengeance after that and till the end of the series. She makes a beautiful Arwen...
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (Anni @ Nov 5 2007, 06:42 AM)
It's the best accent ever!
Zoe
Hear Hear!

Bist accinct evur!

(sorry for the pointless reply Lou, but my avatar is stalking your avatar)
sleeping_pirate
Zoe
Oh Bret and Jemaine avatar! How strange that I would run into you here, outside your apartment building!

I was just... jogging.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 7 2007, 01:35 PM)
She makes a beautiful Arwen...

Hey, stop that.
Zoe
I am sorry, I will endevour not to spoil the very plot-heavy Conchords.

I have noticed on a second viewing there are quite a lot of story/continuity errors. I'm certain they didn't screen the episodes in their original order.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 7 2007, 01:59 PM)
I have noticed on a second viewing there are quite a lot of story/continuity errors. I'm certain they didn't screen the episodes in their original order.

That is something I shall have to ponder on the arrival of my DVD. I think it should involve many watchings.

Do you think that Conchords have set themselves up for some unholy fanstalking from real life more scary Mels who don't get the character and think they will go along with the joke and get to be Mel? I already saw one woman gleely saying she carries a picture of Jemaine's lips in her purse.

I would never do that. Honest. Arf.
shinyelvenqueen
I was introduced to these fellas last friday, and they are a great pair. I want to bottle their essence and wear it around my neck.

and thanks maian for pointing out LOTR appearance. Rewatch!
maian
Considering all the jibes at Australians and confusion about the New Zealand accent in the series, I find this ad featuring Jemaine much funnier than I should.

Outback Steakhouse commercial
sleeping_pirate
laugh.gif Bless him, he's definitely trying to make himself sound Aussie in that one.
Anni
I have to say... that was a pretty bad attempt laugh.gif

I was walking on Cuba St today and I saw a guy that looked almost exactly like Bret... I had to do a double take.

Also there was a shop assistant who looked exactly like Russell Crowe except thinner.

Today has been a lookalike day.
ChromeBaby
Great to see other Conchords fans here!

I've just done a search of the forum after seeing a couple of Conchord related avatars elsewhere and have found the Choncords thread! Nice one Zo!

It's been a whirlwind love affair twixt the boys and I. So to speak wink.gif I literally just stumbled across them on YouTube barely 2 weeks ago, my sides rent asunder by their songs specifically 'You're So Beautiful/Part-Time Model (which I can now nearly play on my guitar cool.gif ) and I've now just finished watching episode 10 on the DVD that was waiting for me behind my front door in the wee hours of Sunday morning after I got back from the fantastic Spaced event at which Edgar bigged up the very Conchords about which I speak on this thread that is about them TOO AS WELL!!!

How did these guys slip through our British fingers? I've listened to a BBC Radio 2 episode and it sounded as if the Beeb had totally butchered their routine. What came first? Is the radio series closer to their roots or is the HBO TV show a more accurate representation of where they wanted to be?

The weird thing is their show has a very British feel. Not Bowdlerised at all. Did the guys retain complete artistic control? It sure feels like they did. I hope the American habit of having loooong seasons doesn't sap their creative juices to soon. Burn them out. 12 episodes!? Take it easy guys.

I luff theesh guysh! The leather jackets! I was in tears! laugh.gif
maian
This week's episode is mighty chucklesome so far. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was written by Eric Kaplan who, fact fans will no doubt be fascinated to hear, wrote the Jurassic Bark episode of Futurama, amongst others, as well as many fine episodes of Malcolm In The Middle. So now you know.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 13 2007, 09:46 PM)
So now you know.

And knowing is half the battle!
Anni
Well several of my friends have said they've seen Bret and/or Jemaine around, and I found out that a classmate's (kind of a friend...) mum's friend is Bret's mum. lol. I'm hoping for some kind of gig in the next few months or so too...
It's somewhat inevitable that I'll see them around the place this summer though. I'll just try not to stare. wink.gif
ipse dixit
I finally managed to remember that it was on - yay! Steve (flatmate with good sense of humour) and I managed to get the lounge to ourselves to watch it without the girls.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Nov 14 2007, 10:15 AM)
I finally managed to remember that it was on - yay! Steve (flatmate with good sense of humour) and I managed to get the lounge to ourselves to watch it without the girls.

Last night's was excellent!
Julie
The first series is 20 bucks at Virgin, I'm guessing I won't be disappointed if I pick it up? I've never seen an episode, but I've seen them do one of their live bits a few times and I enjoyed it.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Last night's had two of the best songs in the entire series and was quite funny, although they hammered the 'She's the guy' gag a bit much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.