Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - S1 homage-o-meter lookup please!
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced
GenieNitro
Hello there,

I'm trying to figure out what a rather odd short film is that I saw on BBC (I think) a few times when I was a kid (in the 70s/80s). It involved some animated arty types moving around a field, appearing and disappearing into the ground so a soundtrack of jazzy snare drum. I'm pretty sure it's being pastiched in the section of S1E3 where Brian and Vulvas act is remembered by Brian and then imagined by Tim.

As I have the original release of the S1 DVD (withouth the homage-o-meter) could someone have a look and see if it says what they are referencing there...

cheers very much!

Steve
GenieNitro
QUOTE (GenieNitro @ Nov 11 2007, 10:30 PM)
Hello there,

I'm trying to figure out what a rather odd short film is that I saw on BBC (I think) a few times when I was a kid (in the 70s/80s).  It involved some animated arty types moving around a field, appearing and disappearing into the ground so a soundtrack of jazzy snare drum.  I'm pretty sure it's being pastiched in the section of S1E3 where Brian and Vulvas act is remembered by Brian and then imagined by Tim.

As I have the original release of the S1 DVD (withouth the homage-o-meter) could someone have a look and see if it says what they are referencing there...

cheers very much!

Steve

No-one can help?
Pleeese? <bats eyelashes>
ChromeBaby
Hi there.

I've had a look and there is homage-o-meter output during those scenes.

It reads:

Art ref: Leigh Bowery (196194)

Which doesn't help you much!

Vulva is based on Leigh Bowery.

When I read what you describe I get indistinct memory flashes of TV from my childhood. I can't name anything specifically but I'm getting 'The Goodies', a pre 'Take Hart' Tony Hart vehicle, Magpie, the scene in 'A Hard Day's Night' fillum where The Beatles are running around an air field to 'Can't Buy Me Love'.

Banana Bunch? Chorlton and the Wheelies?

The Homage-o-meter can be frustrating. Just when you think a reference you've wondered about for eons is going to be labelled nowt happens! Check out my sig. Any ideas? It then goes on to label references that don't really need referencing like Suzi Quatro! Although I'm aware it's all relative to one's pop culture knowledge.
GenieNitro
QUOTE (ChromeBaby @ Nov 21 2007, 10:59 PM)
Hi there.

I've had a look and there is homage-o-meter output during those scenes.

It reads:

Art ref: Leigh Bowery (196194)

Which doesn't help you much!

Vulva is based on Leigh Bowery.

When I read what you describe I get indistinct memory flashes of TV from my childhood. I can't name anything specifically but I'm getting 'The Goodies', a pre 'Take Hart' Tony Hart vehicle, Magpie, the scene in 'A Hard Day's Night' fillum where The Beatles are running around an air field to 'Can't Buy Me Love'.

Banana Bunch? Chorlton and the Wheelies?

The Homage-o-meter can be frustrating. Just when you think a reference you've wondered about for eons is going to be labelled nowt happens! Check out my sig. Any ideas? It then goes on to label references that don't really need referencing like Suzi Quatro! Although I'm aware it's all relative to one's pop culture knowledge.

Ahh, I see... Thanks very much for checking it out for me...
The things you mention certainly do have a similar feel to what I remeber but I get the feeling its more of a ]n arty-maimey kinda thing.... Used to love Vision On when I was a kid (the Tony Hart thing). Pretty sure its not them though... Oh if I could only human beatbox the drum line to you.... I can still hear it in my head now!!!!

cheers

Steve
logger
QUOTE (GenieNitro @ Nov 11 2007, 10:30 PM)
Hello there,

I'm trying to figure out what a rather odd short film is that I saw on BBC (I think) a few times when I was a kid (in the 70s/80s).  It involved some animated arty types moving around a field, appearing and disappearing into the ground so a soundtrack of jazzy snare drum.  I'm pretty sure it's being pastiched in the section of S1E3 where Brian and Vulvas act is remembered by Brian and then imagined by Tim.

cheers very much!

Steve

Was it The Running Jumping and Standing Still Film?
GenieNitro
QUOTE (logger @ Nov 23 2007, 11:46 PM)

Ohh, for a moment there, I thought it was!
The drums at the beginning sounded quite similar - but it's not what I remember - it was much more 'animated' looking and I dstinctly remember this scene of the charactersdisappearing into the ground vertically...

Thanks though!!

Steve
AusChick
Does anyone know if the references on the Homage-o-meter have been written down and listed online anywhere?

Does anyone have such a list?
Omniscia
I wonder how hard it would be just to rip the subtitles from the VOB files on the DVD?
AusChick
My cat's breath smells like cat food

I don't know what you just said.
But I'll ask my hubby - he understands stuff like that.
MargateSteve
It does seem vaguely reminiscent of the opening scene to Chorlton and the Wheelies!
All together now.....Jump in we'll take you for a spin, And show you round the Wheelie World!
Steve
LoneWolf
QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 16 2008, 10:07 AM)
Does anyone know if the references on the Homage-o-meter have been written down and listed online anywhere?

Does anyone have such a list?

I've got a text file of the Season 1 DVD (which I legitimately own) which is a rip of the subtitle track of the Homage-O-Meter. It's just all in order from start to finish, with time references built in as though all episodes were played in a row. I'm happy to share it with anyone who wants it, if this forum allows for such a thing.

By the way, I'm new here! After trying to sign up for months I finally realised that no web-based email addresses were allowed (bit odd really, as I ended up signing up with one anyway, just a different one to what I was trying before). I've been lurking here for some time without being able to post, but here I am now, phew!

P.S. If anyone else has the DVDs and is interested in ripping off the subtitles, or the subtitles of any DVD, Google a program called Subrip. It's rather handy.
AusChick
Hi LoneWolf.
You should drop by the "New Members" thread and say hello.

Unfortunately the thing I needed the homage-o-meter list for has been and gone now.
But it's good to know about Subrip for future reference
Omniscia
See, that's exactly the sort of thing I was getting at! If I'd only known you were on a deadline...
LoneWolf
Ah see, if I could read properly I would have been signed up a long time ago, and I would have been on time!
AusChick
Heh. Doesn't matter. I sorted it out anyway.
And it was my own fault for posting the question only a day or two before said deadline anyway.

No harm done.
Brian - Painter - Loser
So you're saying that no-where on here is a list of homages?
Are you serious? I'd have thought that it would bea real popular resource!

Can someone tell me what the frozen freezer reference is from - where Daisy and Brian are looking in the freezer during the party episode

"I just don't undersand it, I put a half eaten...."
Bloomeeney
I always thought it was something to do with HAL off of 2001
Brian - Painter - Loser
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Nov 7 2008, 01:21 PM) *
I always thought it was something to do with HAL off of 2001

Yeah possibly as it mentions it being almost "self aware" must check out the film as I don't recognise the whistle that Tim performs whilst rising up in the background
Jon 79
QUOTE (Brian - Painter - Loser @ Nov 7 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Yeah possibly as it mentions it being almost "self aware" must check out the film as I don't recognise the whistle that Tim performs whilst rising up in the background

That's "daisy, daisy, give me your answer, do" which is the song HAL9000 famously sings as he's being switched off.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Brian - Painter - Loser @ Nov 7 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Yeah possibly as it mentions it being almost "self aware"

Of course it is.

Also:
QUOTE (wikipedia)
The scene in which HAL's consciousness degrades was inspired by Clarke's memory of a speech synthesis demonstration by physicist John Larry Kelly, Jr, who used an IBM 704 computer to synthesize speech. Kelly's voice recorder synthesizer vocoder recreated the song "Daisy Bell", with musical accompaniment from Max Mathews.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.