Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 23 2008, 12:46 PM)
The title of the Christmas special has been confirmed as The Next Doctor.

I think this episode will be an interesting experiment on the production team's part.

Like, its left ambiguous as to whether the other doctor is actually the doctor. if the fans react well to him (I'm presuming David Morrisey is the titular 'Next doctor'), they'll sign him up as the 11th Doctor..
Raven
I doubt they are testing the water, they've done something similar to this in the audio books, if you don't want to know what how that played out, don't roll over the spoiler below . . .

The other Doctor was an impostor.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 23 2008, 09:42 PM)

If it's anything other than that, I'd be surprised.
Everlong
That would be more plausible.
Flame7581
I couldn't see them doing anything else.. Does anyone really know if Tennant is staying or going yet?
Raven
He supposed to be singed up to the end of next year’s specials, and the last I heard the rumour was that he is in negotiations to take part in series 5 and also to play the Doctor in a film.
Withnail
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 23 2008, 08:42 PM)
I doubt they are testing the water, they've done something similar to this in the audio books, if you don't want to know what how that played out, don't roll over the spoiler below . . .

In the Audiobook 'The One Doctor' The imposter was played by Christopher Biggins!

laugh.gif
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Withnail @ Sep 26 2008, 10:41 AM)
In the Audiobook 'The One Doctor'  The imposter was played by Christopher Biggins!

laugh.gif

Russell T Davies and his bloody agenda again! wink.gif
KevinandNick
The strong word from usually reliable sources indicate that he probably WILL sign for the fifth series.

Kev W
Starscream`s Ghost
Damnit.
Raven
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Sep 26 2008, 12:03 PM)
The strong word from usually reliable sources indicate that he probably WILL sign for the fifth series.

Tennant suffers 'Doctor Who' withdrawal.

Aw, bless . . .
princess_shrek
QUOTE (Flame7581 @ Sep 25 2008, 05:09 PM)
I couldn't see them doing anything else.. Does anyone really know if Tennant is staying or going yet?

You could always write and ask him ... oh wait, that's been tried and he's not even bothered replying sad.gif
Bloomeeney
In case you hadn't heard, or if not posted elsewhere...

Looky look - Dr Who backstage comp

Proceeds to Children In Need
Flame7581
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 26 2008, 07:08 AM)
Damnit.

Say damnit all you want. I think it's awesome! smile.gif

QUOTE (princess_shrek @ Sep 26 2008, 07:55 AM)
You could always write and ask him ... oh wait, that's been tried and he's not even bothered replying sad.gif

laugh.gif Aint that the truth wink.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Flame7581 @ Sep 26 2008, 08:24 PM)
Say damnit all you want.  I think it's awesome! smile.gif

Yeah, it's awesome that we may have another series of endless gurning.

ETA:

QUOTE (David Tennant)
I miss Russell's writing.

You're the only one.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 27 2008, 12:27 PM)

To be fair, there was a lot less of that in the last series.

I think Tennant is excellent in the role, he had a hard job following Eccleston, but he came in and made the role his own. I'm happy for him to stay, but should he go I won't be unhappy either because change is at the very heart of the show.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 27 2008, 12:38 PM)
To be fair, there was a lot less of that in the last series.

True, and now that Rose is finally out of the picture, the other thing that's tainted Tennant's run might also annoy me less.

I admit that I think that Ecclestone was far superior, and that bias is always going to set me against Tennant. I also think that I'm just bored with his portrayal now, and that I'd like to see what someone else could do with the role.
Raven
I don't think Eccleston was better or worse, just different. The more of them that come along the harder it is for me to say "X" is my favourite Doctor, because they all bring something different to the role.

I can probably name my least favourite, but that is another matter!

In other news Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale is out now, and having had a quick flick through it in Waterstone's last night it's moved to the top of my must have list (although not at Waterstone's £25 of asking when I can get a copy on Amazon for £15!).

I think this is going to turn out to be a must for anyone interested how the new series of Doctor Who is created.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 27 2008, 12:51 PM)
I can probably name my least favourite, but that is another matter!

Baker, C?

And I disagree, although they're all different, I can look back at Tennant's work in other things, and see that he's pretty much phoning it in as the Doctor these days. I only say this because I watched in Takin' Over the Asylum recently, and he blew my socks off with how good he was in that.

And yes, I realise that Doctor Who is going to be regarded by some as being a little trivial compared to that, but still.

Saying that though, if he'd been allowed to keep the persona he nutured in Human Nature/The Family of Blood, that would have been brilliant.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 27 2008, 12:56 PM)
Baker, C?

Pretty much.

I do like some of his stories, but I must admit that I let out a sigh when I saw that both The Twin Dilemma and Attack of the Cybermen have been slated for release early next year (this following the Trial of a Timelord box set that has been released this month).

It looks like they are clearing his stories out of the way, but we haven't had a Throughton release for ages, where are The War Games or The Dominators?!
Starscream`s Ghost
I always liked Baker C., after McCoy he's pretty much my favourite, although I can totally see why people wouldn't like him.

And I also agree, more Troughton, please.
Raven
To be fair to Colin Baker, it wasn't the easiest of times in Who's history, and some of the stories that he was saddled with, Timelash for example, where piss-poor.
mousespider
Not to mention being stuck with two of the worst companions in the show's history.
Flame7581
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 27 2008, 07:27 AM)

I actually had to look that word up.. You and your fancy English writting wacko.gif wink.gif
Ringcoirewen
I agree with the more Troughton point, I love his portrayal of the Doctor and in all the poly-Doc stories he steals the show utterly. I guess it must be hard to find serials from his era without episodes missing though. I would love to see The War Games released.

My fiancé will be taught on his theological course by Troughton's son. Exciting.
Raven
For anyone who is interested, Play.com are having a sale on new and classic Who DVDs at the moment.
Everlong
Just had a look, lot of stuff at £6.99, nice.
Starscream`s Ghost
What's this doing here?
Flame7581
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Oct 5 2008, 06:03 PM) *

I think that could officially be the most used sentence in the series, or at least one of them <lol>
Raven
I don't know if anyone is interested, but Russell T. Davis may be doing an un-scheduled book signing in Forbidden Planet later today (lunch time/early afternoon).
Raven
The Seven Doctors - This years Children in Need Special?

Take with a pinch of salt, for now . . .
Flame7581
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 13 2008, 08:10 AM) *
The Seven Doctors - This years Children in Need Special?

Take with a pinch of salt, for now . . .

I read that.. Could be very cool if they actually do it.
Raven
Apparently Paterson Joseph is in line to play the Doctor, according to Trek Movie.

Given they haven't given an official nod to season six yet, that sounds like speculation based on his being in Jekyll (which Moffat obviously wrote).

Would be interesting to see that.
Starscream`s Ghost
If it's true, I'm all for it.
Everlong
Sorta Doctor Who related..

Boy for Billie
Serafina_Pekkala
Winston Fox. Cool name. Congrats to Billie and family.

I love the idea of the Marquis de Carabas playing the Doctor. Big thumbs up for Paterson Joseph from me.
Everlong
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 21 2008, 06:44 PM) *
I love the idea of the Marquis de Carabas playing the Doctor. Big thumbs up for Paterson Joseph from me.

Yeah he's a good actor. Think the purists might be up in arms a bit about a black doctor.

I ordered the Neverwhere book a couple of days ago, people kept saying i should get it, as i loved Neverwhere on TV, and thought stardust (the film) was alright.

Someone is trying to make me a Gaiman fan (well, i like his stuff anyway).
Wife Of Rolex
Is it me or is it strangely apt that the 4th Doctor Who thread on here is now set to become the longest serving?
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Everlong @ Oct 21 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Think the purists might be up in arms a bit about a black doctor.

Next thing you know they'll be having one of those common Mancunians or, heaven forbid, a Scotsman with a pretend accent. smile.gif

Sod the purists. This is a brand new ball game.
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Oct 21 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Think the purists might be up in arms a bit about a black doctor.

Bugger them, the "purists" get upset about pretty much everything they do with the show these days anyway.

I think it would take a bit of getting used to, in the same way that any new Doctor takes a bit of getting used to really, but it should be about getting another quality actor in, not about the colour of their skin.

Mind you, I might think about joining the "purists" if he ever becomes a she . . .
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 21 2008, 10:00 PM) *
Mind you, I might think about joining the "purists" if he ever becomes a she . . .

It's already happened. Kinda.

Twice.
Raven
Curse of the Fatal Death and a Big Finish audio adventure? You are going to have to try harder than that!

I'm not being sexist here btw, it is just that I feel that recasting the Doctor as a woman is too much of a departure, it would be like having a female Sherlock Holmes or James Bond, it just doesn't feel right . . .
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 22 2008, 12:37 AM) *
Curse of the Fatal Death and a Big Finish audio adventure? You are going to have to try harder than that!

Well I did say 'kinda'. As in 'kind of'. Not 'Kinda'. As in 'Adrian Mills'.
Zoe
Is purists a euphemism for racists?

I'd hate to see a female doctor, it wouldn't make any sense.
Raven
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 23 2008, 10:41 PM) *

I certainly wasn't suggesting that in my post, I was using the word to describe the more fanatical Who viewers who haven't enjoyed an episode since Hartnell was replaced by a silly little clown.
Everlong
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 23 2008, 10:41 PM) *

Nah, i wouldn't go as ar as calling them racist, they just think the doctor should be white and male.

Actually, that does sound a bit dodgy.

It's like raven said, fanatics. Who fear change.
Raven
Children in Need - Next Doctor preview.

They are airing the first two minutes of the Christmas special, from what I've heard, it should be good!
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Everlong @ Oct 24 2008, 11:58 AM) *
Nah, i wouldn't go as ar as calling them racist, they just think the doctor should be white and male.

They stopped being catered to when Eccleston became the Doctor - rather than, say, Sir Derek Jacobi or other benign fatherly actor with a fruity voice. They should go home and watch the DVDs instead.

Funny thing about these purists types (i've encountered one or two) is they complain about racial inaccuracy of casting a black Doctor yet the show is about a male alien with two hearts flying around space and time in a police box. Logic plays less of a role overall.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 24 2008, 05:21 PM) *
They stopped being catered to when Eccleston became the Doctor - rather than, say, Sir Derek Jacobi or other benign fatherly actor with a fruity voice.

Jacobi was better as the Master, in any case. happy.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 24 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Funny thing about these purists types (i've encountered one or two) is they complain about racial inaccuracy of casting a black Doctor yet the show is about a male alien with two hearts flying around space and time in a police box. Logic plays less of a role overall.

I understand what you are saying, but you are comparing believability with established mythology and continuity. There's nothing in the series to suggest that a Timelord can't change skin colour (or sex) when they regenerate, but for ten incarnations the Doctor has always been white and male, so I think there is a case for the argument that – for the Doctor at least – this is the norm.

As I said previously, I wouldn't be against a black actor playing the Doctor, provided they are capable of carrying the role.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.