Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
PrincessKate
Some bird from 'Skins' might be the new companion, but might not.
If the new companion doesn't have a regional accent other than 'London/South' I will hunt T Davies down and make him pay for his misdemeanours.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I'm still crossing my fingers for the return of Romana, played by Jemima Rooper.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 10 2009, 02:26 PM) *
I'm still crossing my fingers for the return of Romana, played by Jemima Rooper.

I like her. Just as long as it isn't Tennant's bird, I'll be fine.
Wife Of Rolex
Doctor Who: the missing series
Starscream`s Ghost
K9 & Co

Hmm.
KevinandNick
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Mar 15 2009, 04:30 PM) *

Big Finish are just about to record audio versions of some of the missing seasons episodes.

Nightmare Fair and Mission to Magnus are confirmed, but not sure about Bob Holmes' Yellow Fever & How to Cure it, as I don't think that a full script was ever completed.

Sadly, Michael Gough will not be reprising his role as the Celestial Toymaker, probably due to his age (he's now in his 90s) and someone else has been cast. Hopefully they'll get back Nabil Shaban as Sil for Mission to Magnus, but seeing as he didn't appear on the extras for Trial of a Timelord, I wonder whether he will be in this new audio drama or not.

I have always thought that Colin Baker got shafted during his time on Doctor Who - he was a great actor who was given a large number of less-than-wonderful scripts and came onboard the show when public interest was starting to wane. It didn't help that viewers were treated to his first story immediately after Peter Davidson's last, which saw Baker acting very much out of character and trying to kill his assistant - this obviously planted a seed of dislike in the minds of some viewers that was allowed to fester until the show came back for the next season.

Baker was also the victim of the eighteen-month "hiatus" (apparently Grade wanted to kill the show then, but underestimated fan reaction and changed to it an extended break - this was done to get the initial outlay for Eastenders) - when Baker finished the shortened Trial season, Grade wanted a new Doctor and thought that three years was enough for each actor in the role, despite the fact that Baker had only really done a year and a half. I like Sylvester McCoy (or at least the darker Doctor he became), but I would have liked to have seen Colin Baker do another season.

With the forthcoming audio versions of the "lost" seasons, we will get a very tantalising glimpse into what might have been.

Sermon over! tongue.gif

Kev W
Raven
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Mar 18 2009, 12:21 PM) *
Hopefully they'll get back Nabil Shaban as Sil for Mission to Magnus...

They have, it's already been recorded.
KevinandNick
Cool - though looking at his website, he seems a little bitter about the response he got from the New-Who production office about some of story ideas he sent in.

Although, one forthcoming Big Finish story, An Earthly Child, has a storyline that sounds remarkably like one of those that Nabil Shaban sent into the Beeb two or three years ago...

Kev W
Raven
An Earthly Child does sound like it could be quite good, I'm hoping this is something they will do in the TV series one day.

I sat through The Sound of Drums and The Last Timelord again this week to see if I was unduly harsh in my original opinion that they were both rubbish, and if anything I liked them even less this time around when I knew what was coming!

Good though John Simms is, the Master was never mad, he was just amoral, they got the character completely wrong.
KevinandNick
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 18 2009, 01:12 PM) *
I sat through The Sound of Drums and The Last Timelord again this week to see if I was unduly harsh in my original opinion that they were both rubbish, and if anything I liked them even less this time around when I knew what was coming!

Good though John Simms is, the Master was never mad, he was just amoral, they got the character completely wrong.

Couldn't agree with you more. wink.gif

Kev W
Raven
Isn't that how the last series finished? (sans Simms of course . . .).
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 20 2009, 12:08 PM) *
Isn't that how the last series finished? (sans Simms of course . . .).

Pretty much. Although I'd rather have the Master be the Big Bad than the Daleks. Again.
Raven
I'd rather have something completely different, for the reasons I stated above.
princess_shrek
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 20 2009, 12:11 PM) *
I'd rather have something completely different, for the reasons I stated above.

I think it's a cop out - rather like the 'then I woke up and found it was all a dream' endings of childhood stories. The final episode needs to be a really decent send-off/handover to the new team, and while I can see why you don't start bringing in new characters at that point, to simply recycle old ones in a far from original storyline would be a total waste.
gulfcoast_highwayman
More bloody Tate! Will we never be free?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 20 2009, 12:09 PM) *
Pretty much. Although I'd rather have the Master be the Big Bad than the Daleks. Again.

That doesn't mean they wont turn up for some tenuous reason. Again.

I am, however, intrigued to find out how they're going to get around Donna's story. She's meant to suffer terrible consequences if she remembers anything of her time with The Doctor. Will the scene be a brief homage to Scanners?

The Doctor: "Donna!"

Donna: "Who are you?"

The Doctor: "It's me. The Doctor."

Donna: "Doctor who?"

The Doctor: "Y'know. Timelord. We had adventures together."

Donna: "You've lost the plot, mate."

The Doctor: "Ahh, c'mon. Wedding. Big flood. Baby aliens from fat. Volcano in Pompeii. The Ood. Agatha Christie. Big wasp. Face on a stick. Rose. Tardis. The bug on your back."

Donna: "Eh?"

The Doctor: "The Daleks. Again."

Donna: "Oh! Now I remem..." *BANG*

The Doctor: "Shit."
Raven
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 20 2009, 02:26 PM) *
More bloody Tate! Will we never be free?

I don't mind them bringing Tate back, in isolation, but all three of them is too similar to the end of the last series.

Add to that you can bet that if they are all involved, Captain Jack will be as well . . .
mousespider
It could be a situation where he envisions them as he regenerates, similar to Davison's regeneration.
Raven
That is true.
Raven
The Five Doctors Part One and Part Two.

Very amusing!
grumpygit
Wouldn't it be great if Jessica could appear in one of the specials? wink.gif

Edited to add a very very spoilery linky with pictures and stuff. Go here.
Everlong
QUOTE (grumpygit @ Mar 21 2009, 06:59 PM) *
Edited to add a very very spoilery linky with pictures and stuff. Go here.

I like!
Raven
The rumour mill is saying that a trailer for Planet of the Dead will air on Wednesday at 9pm (just before The Apprentice).
Raven
Planet of the Dead Trailer - it may not be the one that is on BBC One tonight though.
Everlong
That will look amazing in HD!
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 1 2009, 01:52 PM) *
Planet of the Dead Trailer - it may not be the one that is on BBC One tonight though.

The grading's different. They're clearly after making these last few episodes of David's atmospherically separate to the series.
Sostie
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 31 2009, 01:45 PM) *
The rumour mill is saying that a trailer for Planet of the Dead will air on Wednesday at 9pm (just before The Apprentice).

It's like Pitch Black...but with a bus.
Baz
Someone else is back for one of the specials.

Warning, contains spoiler
clicky
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 2 2009, 02:21 PM) *
Someone else is back for one of the specials.

Warning, contains spoiler
clicky

Aye!
KevinandNick
The Sun blatantly stole that picture on the above link from a Doctor Who internet forum and passed it off as their own - this is the second time The Sun has done this, as they did it to the same person last year when the series four finale is being filmed.

To add insult to injury, if you try and right-click the picture to save it, you are presented with a warning that the picture is owned by Murdoch. Fucking cheek.

Kev W
Starscream`s Ghost
Me reviewing some classic Who.

Part 1

Part 2
Raven
Just seen Russell T. Davis on the BBC talking about Planet of the Dead. Not a huge amount about that but he has confirmed that the next special will air in November with the last two to be shown at Christmas.

He also confirmed the companion for the Christmas two-parter is: Wilf! (Bernard Cribbins).
widowspider
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 7 2009, 09:01 AM) *
Just seen Russell T. Davis on the BBC talking about Planet of the Dead. Not a huge amount about that but he has confirmed that the next special will air in November with the last two to be shown at Christmas.

He also confirmed the companion for the Christmas two-parter is: Wilf! (Bernard Cribbins).

Awesome!
Everlong
Apparently Catherine tate and David Tennant appeared on radio together earlier and confirmed she's in Tennant's final episodes. Not surprising considering Wilf is confirmed.

Looking forward to planet of the dead in a couple of hours, in all it's HD goodness.
grumpygit
QUOTE (Everlong @ Apr 11 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Apparently Catherine tate and David Tennant appeared on radio together earlier .

They co-hosted the Jonathan Ross Show. Here's the i-player thingy.

Saw this on teletext.
Whitfield stars in final Who
British comedy legend June Whitfield is to appear in David Tennant's final episode as Doctor Who.

The 83-year-old will appear as Henrietta Goodheart in the final special of four this year, entitled Beautiful Chaos.

Also reappearing will be fellow veteran Bernard Cribbins who stars as the grandfather of Donna Noble, played by Catherine Tate.

I was wondering, in the dim and distant past, did Bernard Cribbins play an assistant?
logger
QUOTE (grumpygit @ Apr 11 2009, 06:31 PM) *
I was wondering, in the dim and distant past, did Bernard Cribbins play an assistant?

He was in the film, wasn't he?
Baz
Wow that sucked.
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 11 2009, 07:54 PM) *
Wow that sucked.

I don't think I've ever done this before, but:

lol!
princess_shrek
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 11 2009, 06:46 PM) *
He was in the film, wasn't he?

Yes. why has nobody made this link into the current series?

Tonight's episode was a disappointment. I think the problem is that with one-offs there's far less need for a story arc, far less plot and character development, and as a result they become a triumph of style and special effects over substance.

I hope they manage to do better with the remaining three shows, otherwise they'll simply have been an extravagant waste of BBC time and money.

That said, Lee Evans was fabulous (and I'm not a fan of his work). I'd have liked to have seen more of him.
Zoe
I thought it was entertaining - at least it was better than Christmas.

My expectations are pretty low.
curtinparloe
Pace suffered at times, and there were some annoying bits. I don't buy Michelle Ryan as a member of the aristocracy for a second. Lee Evans was fantastic.

Did anyone else notice the inevitable return of The Master? That black woman saying "he will knock four times". It's bound to be the subject of the double special, even though it'll probably end with John Sim's replacement "dying" again. I wonder who they'll get?
Wife Of Rolex
I thought it was pretty damn good. Enjoyable, funny in parts and better than the previous 3 series finales.

QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Apr 12 2009, 02:41 AM) *
Did anyone else notice the inevitable return of The Master? That black woman saying "he will knock four times". It's bound to be the subject of the double special, even though it'll probably end with John Sim's replacement "dying" again. I wonder who they'll get?

It's been known about for a while already. The line was a follow on from the what The Ood said last year.

And it's still him. He's been seen filming.
Raven
I liked bits of it, but that was about all, the story - such as it was - was very flat and just didn't engage me.

I think it would have worked better as a 45 minute episode, where the shorter length would have forced the pace to be a bit quicker.

I also felt the ending was pretty weak; the Doctor's reasoning for not allowing Lady Christina to travel with him; the Doctor helping her escape and another f****** prophecy to foreshadow the next three specials - is that really necessary?!

I did like both Ryan and Evans though, and what's the betting we see Evans again at some point?!

QUOTE (princess_shrek @ Apr 11 2009, 08:07 PM) *
Yes. why has nobody made this link into the current series?

Because the films are separate and distinct from the TV series.
angle
I winced a little at the London bus with trashed top deck, couldnt help but think of the bombings in 05,
but then in the making of show they explained that it happened en route and had to be written in.
Enjoyed it overall but it could have had a bit more going on story wise and then i watched Red Dwarf and Dr Who seemed like genius, oh well. crazy4.gif
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 12 2009, 02:55 AM) *
It's been known about for a while already. The line was a follow on from the what The Ood said last year.

And it's still him. He's been seen filming.

Oh, brother.

I haven't been paying attention to the rumour mill, and now I know why...
maian
Just watched it on iPlayer and I quite liked it. It wasn't as bad as some of RTD's specials have been but, as others have already said, the pacing was a bit lax and I'm a bit annoyed that Michelle Ryan might not be back for the rest of the specials. She seemed like a really strong and capable companion.

Edit: I did find Christina's sub-Indiana Jones/James Bond theme hugely irritating, though.
Raven
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 12 2009, 08:50 PM) *
Edit: I did find Christina's sub-Indiana Jones/James Bond theme hugely irritating, though.

I thought her style owed more to Lara Croft than either of the above.
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 12 2009, 10:36 PM) *
I thought her style owed more to Lara Croft than either of the above.

I thought he was referring to the music at the beginning?

I defo agree with the lara croft stuff. Posh, and steals for the adventure of it.
maian
Should have specified that I meant the music.

Yeah, Lara Croft is definitely a touchstone, though the gentleman/gentlewoman thief idea isn't a new one by any stretch of the imagination.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.