Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Withnail
Wow. How hawt does Karen look wub.gif wub.gif

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=great_..._gillan_filming
Bloomeeney
The best Doctor?

We can soon decide for ourselves...
Everlong
Maybe, though I suspect it's partly Moffat bigging him up as he's the new producer/head writer. Still reckon Smith will be quite good though.

The next special 'Waters of Mars' is shown in 2 weeks time, Sunday 15th November.
grumpygit
^What he said.
Everlong
Tennant describes final ep as 'Sad'

I think we all expect a tearjerker anyway.
NiteFall
Part of me is secretly hoping that Moffat can maintain his run of high-octane nightmare fuel episodes for his entire time in charge.
Starscream`s Ghost
The Who/Sarah Jane crossover - brilliant.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Oct 30 2009, 07:03 PM) *
The Who/Sarah Jane crossover - brilliant.

It was good. I got a little teary at the end too.
Raven
I've taped it and will watch it over the weekend.

Nice to see The Waters of Mars is being dedicated to Barry Letts.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Oct 30 2009, 07:25 PM) *
It was good. I got a little teary at the end too.

Me too.
Everlong
"The Waters of Mars" is on in about 30 mins! All the reviews of it have been glowing.

Looking forward to the Christmas 2-Parter more, definitely!
maian
I quite liked that. It was pretty predictable and, for the most part, seemed pretty undeserving of being a 'special', but all the stuff about The Doctor realising that he could dictate what the laws of time could mean was pretty interesting and, dare I say it, came dangerously close to character development. In a Russell T. Davies scripted episode, no less!

It was good to see them tackle a slightly different type of story for once. I've wanted to see a story about The Doctor being in a situation where he wants to help but feels that he can't because it would disrupt the timeline for a while now since it would evoke the more tragic side of the character and, apart from the end when it got all manic and magic, it handled that idea quite nicely.

I was actually quite impressed that they took the story through to its natural ending and had Adelaide kill herself. As soon as they got out of the TARDIS I thought to myself, 'Now, if they had the balls, they'd have her commit suicide here'. Dark, but thematically consistent in a way that most of RTD's episodes aren't.
Starscream`s Ghost
It was ok. Interesting towards the end, but as you say Ed, not deserving of being a 'special'.

Looking forward to Christmas, now.
maian
Am I the only one who thought of GOB from Arrested Development when The Doctor was riding on the back of that robot? The pose was perfect.
Downsy
What's with the Doctor being scared of the Ood? I would have thought the Watcher would have been better harbinger?
Everlong
Loving this whole 'turning to the dark side' thing they're heading for. The doctor will be the death of himself surely!

And did I hear the voice of Patrick Stewart in the christmas trailer?
Zoe
Zero story in terms of actual SF (thanks again RTD), I had a better plotted dream last night, but the end was ace (Ood aside).

Fuck you world, I'm the Doctor. Yeah!

Now back to my dream...

I was a young boy and had my birthday party in my new (slightly creepy house) after the party a purple balloon was trapped in the air in the corner of the room, no matter how you pulled it would only travel so far as if it was trapped in a forcefield. Next to the house was a wood, on the edges of which a man in a top hat could occasionally be seen. Young boy (played by me) went to investigate the outskirts of the wood and spotted (at various points) children in different period dress. Later I went back and ran into the man in the top hat who chased me further into the wood until I met all of the other children and they took me to hide. They explained the man had been after them for a long time, and some of them had gone missing (to be taken to an unseen monster - yes I am aware this is a bit similar to IT). When the coast was clear I told them I was going to go home, but they told me this would be impossible. I ran to the edge of the wood, but was trapped by a forcefield similar to the balloon. After returning to the other children and rallying them I was determined to escape. I persuaded them to track the man in the top hat, who'd they'd been hiding from and we discovered that he occasionally left the wood and had dealings with three women who looked suspiciously like witches (sometimes they brought children with them) and to do this he had to open a gap in the forcefield. Through distraction and an exciting chase I led all the children through the gap and back to my house, but when I re-entered something was wrong. The house was obviously in Victorian times, and we'd come back to the wrong time (though the right time to some of the snatched children). The children said I should stay and that they'd look after me, but I was determined to re-enter the wood, and attempt to leave through the correct portal back to my present day family. As I went to the back door I looked out the window and saw the man in the top hat, stood right on the edge of the wood, between my house and the wood, guarding it and smiling.

They can have that... they would have to add the Doctor.
Wife Of Rolex
I liked the dark ending. The Doctor's crash from his arrogance as he realised that he had become responsible for Adelaide's death after all and the sight of the Ood reeling in the fear of his own death were a nice switch to usual episode endings. Not perhaps the strongest story but it was always going to be a set up for the 2 christmas specials and I think it's at the very least done that well as it's jacked up the impending doom.

3 things about "Gadget".

Wall-E.

A slightly less twatty looking Segway.

Merchandice.
Sostie
Quite enjoyed last night's episode (despite, at times, instrusive music) but I did spend too much time trying to place the Aussie guy. Could concentrate a lot more on the show when I realised it was Shane Ramsay from Naighbours.

IMDB has Timothy Dalton listed as "Time Lord" in the cast. I missed the opening few minutes. Did I miss him?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 16 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Quite enjoyed last night's episode (despite, at times, instrusive music) but I did spend too much time trying to place the Aussie guy. Could concentrate a lot more on the show when I realised it was Shane Ramsay from Naighbours.

IMDB has Timothy Dalton listed as "Time Lord" in the cast. I missed the opening few minutes. Did I miss him?

I seem to have missed Timothy Dalton as well.

I forgot to mention the music. Anyone else find there was a little bit of sound distortion when the violins hit a certain peak? I noticed the same tinny fuzz popping up during the commentary on BBC7 and wondered if something went a bit wrong with the sound editing.

Mentioned in the commentary, although I'd already picked up on it earlier, it was funny having Peter O'Brien on Doctor Who as he was in RTD's Queer As Folk 10 years ago as Vince's boyfriend. Vince, who's an avid Who fan, dumps him because he can't name the actors who have played The Doctor in order.
Downsy
Did anyone else struggle to hear the dialogue at the end, it may just be me but there were sections where I really struggled.
Sostie
Pardon!
wampa1
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 16 2009, 09:56 AM) *
Fuck you world, I'm the Doctor. Yeah!

Which lasted about 30 seconds. Brilliant.

They should've had whatshername kill herself after the Doctor leaves, letting the Doc go into the next episode messing around with time leading to the Master's return.
Everlong
Xmas 2-Parter is confirmed to be called "The End of Time Part One" and "The End of Time Part Two".

Episode 1 is supposedly on Xmas day.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor...e-revealed.html
Serafina_Pekkala
I seem to be the only person who didn't reckon much to Waters of Mars - it was so-so. It just seemed to be the Library story bits but less good because Russell T wrote it. I'd prefer to have seen Zoe's spooky dream.

Gadget Gadget can fuck off.
Zoe
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Nov 19 2009, 10:28 PM) *
I seem to be the only person who didn't reckon much to Waters of Mars - it was so-so. It just seemed to be the Library story bits but less good because Russell T wrote it. I'd prefer to have seen Zoe's spooky dream.

I agree on all counts.

I have had three additional dreams this week that were better than the plot. If anyone would like to hear them, let me know.
Chapman Baxter
Yes please. I almost fell asleep during the episode. If I had, I'm sure the dream would have had more plot to it.
Raven
To be fair, the plot wasn't really important to this story, it was just a means to an end; to put the Doctor in a situation where he would be forced to chose between getting involved or walking away (and sometimes with Doctor Who, a scary monster chase is all you need . . .).

I agree with others that it didn't warrant a full hour, I feel it would have been a much tighter story if delivered in 45 minutes, but I liked the water zombies and it was it was genuinely disturbing to see the Doctor go a bit bongos at the end.

For me the weakness in this episode, and indeed all of the specials so far, is that they had to spend time introducing the guest companion, and whilst they have all been good - to varying degrees, and for different reasons - I feel some of the stories may have been better served by having a regular face on board as well (and this is one of those cases).

I also don't see why Brooke killed herself at the end; she didn't really seem to be putting much stock in the Doctor's description of things to come, earlier in the episode, and surely her granddaughter would have been more inspired by a granny who lead the first Mars mission and survived, than one who shot herself in her living room? The only reason it seemed to be there to me, was to shock the Doctor into realising he had crossed the line . . .

Overall I enjoyed it, despite the flaws Iíve mentioned above, but I do feel they are going to have to step up a couple of gears to give Tennant a good send off.
Baz
MSN are streaming classic Who episodes online - http://player.uk.msn.com/sci-fi/doctor-who/
Raven
I can recommend The Talons of Weng Chiang to anyone who hasn't seen it - Tom Baker at his best!
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 29 2009, 01:45 PM) *
I can recommend The Talons of Weng Chiang to anyone who hasn't seen it - Tom Baker at his best!

We should have have fun tonight, we should all Weng Chiang tonight.
Sostie
Next week to commemorate David Tennant's departure from the show Time Out London will have 10 different covers, each a different Doctor.

You can buy all 10 here

http://shop.timeout.com/time-out-london-ma...=OTC-drwho&

All just pop in a newsagent and hope they have the one you want.
Raven
Following on from Dubai last year, Matt Smith and Co. have packed up bags and swanned off to Croatia for a few days filming.
Everlong
Apparently Tennant's final episode is aired on New Years Day, between 2 episodes of Eastenders.

I thought it'd be on Boxing day, ah well.
Raven
No, Christmas Day and News Years Day, at 7.30pm I believe.

This time next month, we will have a new Doctor . . .
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 3 2009, 12:21 PM) *
No, Christmas Day and News Years Day, at 7.30pm I believe.

This time next month, we will have a new Doctor . . .

Oh yeah, I meant Part 2, I know Part 1 is Xmas day, they'd be crazy to not put Doctor Who on Xmas day after the last few years.
widowspider
I am beyond excited that I will be in the country to watch both of these. Maximum squee!
Raven
Absolutely Bongos Doctor Who Christmas Ident.
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 4 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Ah, I like that. BBC are seriously promoting this big time!

Also, so i detect a hint of the theme tune? Thought I heard a "oooo-wee-oooo", can't really turn the sound up more as I'm at work.
Starscream`s Ghost
I likes it!
grumpygit

Nice!
Wife Of Rolex

Very good. Though it looks like it'll only be broadcast in Scotland, unless they've also got a nationwide version.
Wife Of Rolex
Little preview of The End Of Time (22 seconds in).
widowspider
Love the ident!
Everlong
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Dec 4 2009, 04:18 PM) *

Nice, The Master seems even more mental.

Radio times has 2 Christmas covers this year, one of them is Strictly Come Dancing themed, the other... Dalek!!

Starscream`s Ghost
Duno if anyone's already posted this (I can't see that they have, anyway), but BBC Worldwide are putting up Classic Who stories on Youtube (I'm just enjoying 'Planet of the Spiders').

See their channel HERE.
grumpygit
Dr. Who Special of Never Mind the Buzzcocks on tonight 10.00pm BBC2.
Hosted by David Tennant with Catherine Tate and Bernard Cribbins.
m0r1arty
Crikey you don't know how much you miss Blighty until it's Christmas.

Here's a poser for you:

Is it immoral or incorrect of me to watch the Doctor Who crimbo special via whichever illicit means I can here in Thailand and still feel that it's ok as my TV license isn't up yet back in the UK?

Festive cheer to you all and I hope Santa gives you what you want.

-m0r
NiteFall
I say no- you're paying your TV license, therefore you have paid to be able to watch it. It isn't your fault that iPlayer isn't available in other countries.
m0r1arty
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Dec 24 2009, 10:00 AM) *
I say no- you're paying your TV license, therefore you have paid to be able to watch it. It isn't your fault that iPlayer isn't available in other countries.

Cheers Nitefall, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Consider question closed and further answers obsolete. happy.gif

-m0r
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.