Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 16 2010, 05:10 PM) *
Indeed. She spoke of her doctor a lot throughout that 2 parter, basically describing him as heroic and bold etc, and that "Armies would turn and run from him", and I really hope she was referring to Smith's Doctor.

I was specifically thinking of her voiceover just before the Doctor realises his future self has, err, doctored his sonic screwdriver, the part about the Doctor never giving up. Top stuff!
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 16 2010, 07:25 PM) *
I was specifically thinking of her voiceover just before the Doctor realises his future self has, err, doctored his sonic screwdriver, the part about the Doctor never giving up. Top stuff!

Oh yeah, I realised, I was just adding to it.

The Monologue voice over before he realises is indeed cooler though.
Raven
Tom Baker to record for Big Finish?

That could be very good indeed, though I'm betting they won't be able to get Lalla Ward to appear with him again!
Raven
A somewhat cautious review of The Eleventh Hour (containing an interview with Matt Smith).

and

Another, almost identical interview (with added Karen Gillan).

That has to be a young Amy in the clip, hasn't it?!
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 18 2010, 11:17 PM) *
A somewhat cautious review of The Eleventh Hour (containing an interview with Matt Smith).

and

Another, almost identical interview (with added Karen Gillan).

That has to be a young Amy in the clip, hasn't it?!

Ha, I've been trying to avoid spoilers so much, but that first review has given away Cybermen. I knew we had Daleks and Weeping Angels from the other trailers, but the enemies mentioned in that review I had no idea about.

Sounds like it's like the last few series but with added clever Moffat writing, according to This review.

I liked that clip too, Matt seems to be very Peter Davison with added Tennant Hyperactivity, which is good in my books.
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 19 2010, 08:59 AM) *
Ha, I've been trying to avoid spoilers so much, but that first review has given away Cybermen.

I'm wondering if that is an error, and whether it should have read Daleks. It probably isn't, but as you say, it's a bit of a spoiler if correct.
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 19 2010, 12:28 PM) *
I'm wondering if that is an error, and whether it should have read Daleks. It probably isn't, but as you say, it's a bit of a spoiler if correct.

Yeah, could be, as a Dalek has already been seen in trailers, and the other thing would be a big spoiler to drop.

According to the BBC front page there's a brand new trailer, but I can't see that at work, bah.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 19 2010, 12:28 PM) *

No, I think it's a geniune spoiler.
If this is to be believed.
Everlong
New trailer. 'tis awesome, if a bit short

Spitfires vs Spaceship!!!
grumpygit
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 19 2010, 08:24 PM) *

I spy a Cyberman.
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 19 2010, 08:24 PM) *

*giggly girl noise*
PrincessKate
He wears braces, I'm already sold on this new Doctor...
gulfcoast_highwayman
And another trailer, this time from BBC America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBw2IWuOA0...player_embedded
Everlong
Wow, they got a better trailer than us. I like the giant crashed spaceship near the beginning!
Henry Krinkle
Interview with Moffat on the Guardian website

Not too many giveaways on the new series, but interesting nonetheless.
I don't know how excited I'd be about seeing a return for Captan Jack however. His previous few appereances have felt needless at best.
Raven
I've got nothing against Captain Jack returning again, if the story warrants it, but I do hope we never see another multi-companion episode. Worked well in Journey's End, was just tedious - and at times nonsensical - in End of Time II.

Just seen the new trailer on TV, looks amazing!
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 23 2010, 10:07 PM) *
I've got nothing against Captain Jack returning again, if the story warrants it, but I do hope we never see another multi-companion episode. Worked well in Journey's End, was just tedious - and at times nonsensical - in End of Time II.

But the assistants weren't all together in End Of Time II. The (10th) Doctor was saying goodbye to them individually.

Is there an arguement to suggest Captain Jack is perhaps the Brigadier of the "new" Who series?*

* It's not actually an arguement, just a thought.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 23 2010, 10:07 PM) *
I do hope we never see another multi-companion episode. Worked well in Journey's End, was just tedious - and at times nonsensical - in End of Time II.

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Mar 24 2010, 03:57 AM) *
But the assistants weren't all together in End Of Time II. The (10th) Doctor was saying goodbye to them individually.

I didn't see it as the doctor saying goodbye to them.
I saw it as RTD screaming "Awwww, say good bye to them ladies and gents!!!! Say goodbye to all the lovely characters I've given you over the last few years!!!! Look, there's Rose and her Mum!!! They were brilliant weren't they!!! And look, there's Mickey and Martha!!! They've hooked up with each, after failing to get their original love interests. It's not slightly racist though!!! And look, there's Captain Jack!!! We all loved him didn't we!!! Haaa, he's hooking up with Alonso Frame, who we all loved and who casual viewers are sure to remember!!!! Goodbye my children!!!! Goodbye my beautiful creations!!!! Goodbyeeeeee!!!!"
Raven
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Mar 24 2010, 03:57 AM) *

It was still too close in theme and tone to the end of Journey's End. Four episodes before he said goodbye to all his pals, and then there he is doing it again. Waste. Of. Time.

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Mar 24 2010, 09:16 AM) *
I didn't see it as the doctor saying goodbye to them.
I saw it as RTD screaming "Awwww, say good bye to them ladies and gents!!!! Say goodbye to all the lovely characters I've given you over the last few years!!!! Look, there's Rose and her Mum!!! They were brilliant weren't they!!! And look, there's Mickey and Martha!!! They've hooked up with each, after failing to get their original love interests. It's not slightly racist though!!! And look, there's Captain Jack!!! We all loved him didn't we!!! Haaa, he's hooking up with Alonso Frame, who we all loved and who casual viewers are sure to remember!!!! Goodbye my children!!!! Goodbye my beautiful creations!!!! Goodbyeeeeee!!!!"

^ Yep, that's pretty much it.

For someone who made the rule that they weren't going to be referencing the original series, when the new series originally came out, he certainly didn't mind referencing his own work, five years down the road.
Everlong
It would have been better if it just cut from him dropping off Wilf at home to the wedding, then to the regeneration.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 24 2010, 11:53 AM) *
It would have been better if it just cut from him dropping off Wilf at home to the wedding, then to the regeneration.

It would have been better if it just cut from the end of series 4 to the regeneration.
Everlong
I really enjoyed the Mars episode actually, but yep Journey's End would have been a much more fitting swansong for Tennant.
Raven
Baring the ridiculous Cyber King, I quite enjoyed The Next Doctor as well, David Morrissey was very good.
NiteFall
Unfortunately the Cyber King just made me think of Bender as a super-hero.

Raven
Or the giant Bender from one of the Anthologies of Interest.

And not in a good way . . .
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 24 2010, 01:15 PM) *
I really enjoyed the Mars episode actually, but yep Journey's End would have been a much more fitting swansong for Tennant.

QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 24 2010, 01:53 PM) *
Baring the ridiculous Cyber King, I quite enjoyed The Next Doctor as well, David Morrissey was very good.

There are some good bits over the specials, but if you cut them all together they would total about 6 minutes.
Essentially, they could have covered all the good stuff from the specials in a Children in Need mini episode.

QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 24 2010, 02:06 PM) *
Or the giant Bender...

So tempted to do a somewhat homophobic 1970's style joke about Captain Jack here. Like the sort of joke they'd do in Bottle Boys.
Raven
I would have said that Waters of Mars was good throughout. Possibly lose the Ood at the end, but you can't have everything.

Tennant's finale certainly didn't need to be a two-parter though, at least not on the back of that storey.
Raven
Daily Mail Objects to the Length of Amy Pond's Skirt.

Good job Leela isn't around now!
Everlong
Ha, good old daily mail, anything to moan about..
Starscream`s Ghost
Since when was the companion supposed to be sexy? Seriously?
Everlong
Hilariously one of the comments refers to Karren Gillan as a 'stick insect'. Erm, what? She's very slim but not THAT skinny!

Anyway, yes, they've gone around in hardly anything a few times. Leela. Of course there was Peri's boobs.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 25 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Of course there was Peri's boobs.

Just ask Davison.
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 25 2010, 01:38 PM) *
Since when was the companion supposed to be sexy? Seriously?

I don't know that they were ever supposed to be sexy, but there is no denying that a number of them were.
Starscream`s Ghost
Oh, I think they were. I've heard lots of actors from the series state that the girls were there to help attract dads to watch the show.
Raven
^ Wrong end of the stick, I misread your original post!
Starscream`s Ghost
Gotcha. I should have quoted it. I'm guessing the Mail's stupidity rubbed off a bit.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 24 2010, 04:35 PM) *
Tennant's finale certainly didn't need to be a two-parter though, at least not on the back of that storey.

I'd like to think I put the pizazz back into it with my little fan vid. happy.gif
Everlong
Apparently Matt Smith is on Jonathan Ross tonight with that Professor Brian Cox and music from Goldfrapp.

I don't normally watch that but will tonight, sounds good.
Raven
I bet I'll forget to watch, but I will try not to miss that.
gulfcoast_highwayman
He's also on Blue Peter on Wednesday. It's almost a tradition for new Doctors.
Raven
The clip they just showed on Woss simply reaffirms for me that Smith is going to be an excellent Doctor.

Just over a week to go, and I honestly cannot remember being this excited about a new series or film for years.

God, I sound like a 14 year old . . .
Everlong
I'm not overly excited but looking forward to the series a lot, that was a great clip, vampire womens and comedy! The card was a nice touch.

Trailer was really good too. Smith really is going to be a great Doctor.
whitey
I am excited. Very definitely heard my friend laugh out loud in the audience when Smith described Gillan as "a ten."
Wife Of Rolex
Brilliant little personisled crash in trailer on Shuan Keaveny's 6Music breakfast show just now. Quick but worth checking out on the iPlayer when it's up. Around the 9am mark (2 hours in).
Everlong
Only a few days until it's on now. I won't be seeing it until Sunday though. Looking forward to it!
Everlong
Ack, can't edit my last post, so sorry for the double postage. The first 30/40 seconds of Saturday's episode are on the website.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 29 2010, 11:28 AM) *
Ack, can't edit my last post, so sorry for the double postage. The first 30/40 seconds of Saturday's episode are on the website.

It was on freeview (channel 301) last night. Looks bloody marvellous.
Everlong
Yeah, very short clip, but looks like a fun way to start the series.

Plus after the extended trailer on Jonathan Ross, I'm looking forward to this series quite a bit.

RTD was a good showrunner, but Moffat will show him how it's done. I think the main reason I'm looking forward to it so much is that End of Time was such an anti-climax.
Wife Of Rolex
One thing from the opening clip I thought was, 'Ooh, it does look Harry Potter.'
Everlong
I can't remember where I read it (Probably the Guardian I think) but they said they were gonig for a bit of a Tim Burton vibe with it too. I know there were comments on digital spy likening it to Harry Potter and Twilight (I think that's the visuals rather than storytelling, hopefully).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.