Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jun 14 2010, 10:06 AM) *
One thing I noticed on Saturday is another scene where we see previous incarnations of the Doctor, for about the third or fourth time this series I think. Trying to tell us something, Moffat?

I'm beginning to think they are over-playing that - it's good to see on occasion, like just after a regeneration to remind people the show has a legacy and the character has been around for a bit, but every other week? (Though I guess it is an easy way to convey the complexity of the character).

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 14 2010, 10:23 AM) *
Corden's a very fine comic actor, he's just suffering the backlash of ubiquity.

I've not actually seen him act in anything else, but I have seen him on TV being himself several times, and he just comes across as being a massive cock. Now I may have just caught all the bad moments, but he was being a complete tit at one of the Grand Prixs last year.

Sostie
Enjoyable episode this week. Reminded me a little of Sapphire & Steel.

Nice comic turn by Smith. As for Corden, I actually think he's a very talented actor and his presence in the episode didn't bother me at all.
Everlong
Eccleston talks about why he quit..

"I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in."

Sounds like it was a lot of work. But 'culture' does make me think fandom might have been part of it. Turning up to sets and shoots all the time etc.
Raven
^ I'm not sure that is the case, there were rumours floating around at the time it was reported he was leaving that he really didn't get on with one of the directors.
NiteFall
Of course, it doesn't answer the question I want answered which is whether or not he'd be willing to come back for a multiple Doctors story.
Wife Of Rolex
They can do wonders with prosthetics and make up these days. They could probably have someone else just wearing Christopher Eccleston's face without the need to have him on set.

Remember the John Simm faces they came up with for End Of Time? Freaky.
Everlong
Arrghhh, thanks to some twat I've seen a couple of very spoilery pictures of episode 13.

Obviously I won't say what's in them, but I'm pissed off that it's been spoiled for me.
grumpygit
This series has gone by so fast.
Shack
A perfectly fun and serviceable episode I thought.

Smitho was terrific. Mad and fun throughout. I liked Corden and the lovely Daisy Haggard too.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 11 2010, 05:20 PM) *
Eleven Doctors Action Figure Set.

Not sure about either of the Baker figures - or the Pertwee one - but the Hartnell, Troughton and Davison figures look pretty good.

Is that the original 10th Doctor head sculpt I spy?
Why are they using this, when they went to all the trouble of doing a new head sculpt for the End of Time set?
It irks me that all the 10th Doctor figures have Christmas Invasion Doctor hair, except for the End of Time Doctor, that has facial lacerations instead.
When oh when will Character Options cater for their demographic that wants a 10th Doctor figure with the correct hair and not looking like a car wreck survivor?
Looks like I'll have to be content with the screen accurate 10th Doctor figure I made myself out of play dough.

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 14 2010, 12:58 AM) *
This series has been absolute brills, very excited to see the return of Alex Kingston next week and the mystery of the crack in the wall and the Pandorica.

I'm with the people less than happy to see River Song back.
The more time passes, the more displeased I feel over the Time of Angels/Flesh and Bone two parter. Not only did it lessen the Weeping Angels by essentially rewriting their powers and limitations, but it made River Song really annoying.
It's not cute anymore. The whole 'Hello Sweetie', little wave, 'not until you're old enough' thing was waffer thin by the end of the episode.
The way she keeps on alluding to future events but then stopping short of just saying it makes her like one of those people that knows some gossip you don't know, and then strings you along with hints so you'll give them some attention.
Is she the Doctors wife? Is she his Mum? Is she future Amy Pond?
I don't want to give her the satisfaction of caring what the answer is.
Unless it's all three of the above. That would be an unexpected twist.

Since this weeks (which I really enjoyed) was the Amy lite episode, and next weeks trailer seems pretty Doctor heavy, can we assume that they've scheduled this years Doctor lite episode for the finale?
NiteFall
I can't help but think that if Davies' was still in charge I'd be thinking "Oh look. A mysterious box with something inside. Bet it's the fucking Daleks in there" about the finale. As it stands though I'm genuinely looking forward to it and expecting to be surprised some.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jun 15 2010, 03:01 PM) *
Eccleston talks about why he quit..

"I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in."

Sounds like it was a lot of work. But 'culture' does make me think fandom might have been part of it. Turning up to sets and shoots all the time etc.

He can't say what the real reason is and it isn't this. Astrid's friend knows one of the writers.

I reckon it's something to do with RTD and some 'spanish fly'. And one of those short Guy Secretan dressing gowns. He will never talk about it.
Everlong
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 16 2010, 12:23 PM) *
Since this weeks (which I really enjoyed) was the Amy lite episode, and next weeks trailer seems pretty Doctor heavy, can we assume that they've scheduled this years Doctor lite episode for the finale?

I think they only do that when they have 14 episodes to film (Xmas special then the series that follows). Episodes like Blink and Love and monsters, plus Midnight/Turn left are done when they have to film 2 episodes at the same time, as far as I know. They just had the standard 13 eps this time round. Maybe Amy's in every scene of both episodes so they didn't have her in 'The Lodger' much, due to the amount of filming.
lola
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 16 2010, 12:31 PM) *
I can't help but think that if Davies' was still in charge I'd be thinking "Oh look. A mysterious box with something inside. Bet it's the fucking Daleks in there" about the finale. As it stands though I'm genuinely looking forward to it and expecting to be surprised some.

Is it not worse? They seemed to name check just about every monster that's appeared in New Who in the coming up next bit.
Everlong
QUOTE (lola @ Jun 16 2010, 12:55 PM) *
Is it not worse? They seemed to name check just about every monster that's appeared in New Who in the coming up next bit.

I'm not sure, there were loads of spaceships in the trailer, above stonehenge and away from the Pandorica. My teeny tiny theory is that the Pandorica opening is perhaps the bomb/explosion that causes the cracks, something that the baddies probably make happen, or make the doctor do.

I'm probably wrong.
Shack
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 16 2010, 12:23 PM) *

I suspect he'll get frozen in a Hans Solo pose and rescued at the end.

By K9.
omni
I'm thinking it's Rasilon in the Pandorica.
Everlong
I reckon it's the tenth doctor, he springs out, punches the eleventh doctor and locks him in the pandorica screaming obscenities. He then saunters off to the TARDIS for a 3-way with River and Amy.
Withnail
Spoiler pics of the finale over at DS showA stone Dalek, Rory dressed as a Roman centurion, Silurians, The Sycorax and the Weevils from Torchwood! There are also some concept sketches of the Pandorica opening revealing the Doctor inside excl.gif
Everlong
Not gonna highlight that in case I see more than I already know, as I've only seen one spoilery pic. Which was too much of a spoiler anyway.

Since Withnail has spoiler tagged stuff, I will too, but be warned, it's a mega spoiler.. The pic I saw was.. Rory in Roman soldier gear holding a lifeless Amy. Though the caption that came with the picture was an even bigger giveaway, I certainly won't be posting that, even with spoiler tags. And I'm a little bit pissed off at the person who revealed it to me. Not livid, but it's a massive spoiler and a bit annoying.

Though after thinking about it, even though it's a big one, knowing Moffat there's probably even bigger events in store.
Henry Krinkle
Goddam it, I really want to look under that black bar...
Everlong
It's probably inside your spoiler tag anyway, I suppose, since your black bar is a lot bigger than mine. Arf.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you (HK) posted spoilers, it was withnail, DUH. Stupid me.
Withnail
There was a BAFTA showing of the episode last night. Mild spoilers to come out of it were:

1. Steven Moffat’s on top form with a brilliantly crafted episode – the perfect start to a two-parter.
2. The Doctor and Amy visit the oldest planet in the universe, where the first words in history have a familiar ring to them.
3. The stakes are every bit as high as in an RTD season finale.
4. Characters from earlier in the series make surprise appearances before the opening titles – and we’re not just talking about the series recap.
5. There’s something funny going on at Stonehenge.
6. If you thought “The Lodger” looked like a money-saving episode, you soon realise where all that spare cash went.
7. There’s a scene in a bar rather reminiscent of the Star Wars cantina.
8. There’s an armada of alien spacecraft.
9. The Doctor gets to deliver one of his “Get out of here!” speeches.
10. There’s a brilliant scare involving a human skull.
11. You could market an entire range of action figures on the back of this episode alone.
12. Amy’s engagement ring is crucial.
13. It’ll make you want to go back and watch the whole series again.
14. Someone other than the Doctor pilots the TARDIS.
15. The Doctor and Amy face a foe reminiscent of fembots.
16. There’s a fantastic nod to The Thing.
17. The Pandorica does indeed open.
18. It also closes.
19. The episode ends in a cliffhanger so devilish that it seems utterly inescapable. It’s going to be a very, very long week.
20. 26 June 2010 is a very important date indeed – and not just because it’s the day of the series finale.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/06/17/doctor-who-preview-2/
widowspider
Must not look, must not look...
Everlong
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 17 2010, 02:51 PM) *
Must not look, must not look...

Ha, yeah I'd advise against it. I don't even want to took at anyone else's tag incase it spoils it more for me.
maian
Just caught up with "The Lodger", which I enjoyed a lot. I really liked James Corden as an actor, even if I don't care that much for him as a person, based on what I've seen and heard, and I thought he did a terrific job in this. He got to do the heavy lifting by being the straight man and having the love interest - which I thought was handled very well - whilst Matt Smith got to scale new comedic heights. It was a thoroughly fun episode that made no bones about its wafer-thin plot and just went straight for the laughs, which it delivered.

As for the endgame of this series...

(Note: The following bit in spoiler tags is only speculation, but I've hidden it because I've not read anything about the finale and so don't want to accidentally ruin it for anyone if it turns out to be right.)

A mate of mine at work speculated that it might be The Doctor himself inside the Pandorica, which I was skeptical of (And still am) but watching the preview for next week with that idea in mind made it seem very plausible.

Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 18 2010, 12:37 AM) *
A mate of mine at work speculated that it might be The Doctor himself inside the Pandorica, which I was skeptical of (And still am) but watching the preview for next week with that idea in mind made it seem very plausible.

That exact thought has crossed my mind too.
I guessed that The Dream Lord was really The Doctor in Amy's Choice, and whilst I do quite like the idea of The Doctor being an unintentional villain it's already been done in that episode.

What I'd like to see, and I won't spoiler block this, as there's no chance in hell it will be the actual plot, is the clone 10th Doctor being in the Pandorica. The Cracks in the Universe are caused by him breaking through from the alternate universe, as are his very public, attention grabbing actions of series 2-4 being wiped from time (it's caused a paradox, or something...). The Pandorica is an artificial Tardis he created after being stranded on the alternate earth.
And he's all dark and arrogant and slightly scary, like at the end of Waters of Mars. Imagine that.
Perhaps River Song could be the one that defeats him, thereby killing the best man she's ever known and answering that question.
A multiple Doctors story where they're actively against each other, not working towards the same ends, would be awesome. Imagine an evil 10th Doctor. C'mon. It'd be really good...

Everlong
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jun 18 2010, 12:09 PM) *
What I'd like to see, and I won't spoiler block this, as there's no chance in hell it will be the actual plot, is the clone 10th Doctor being in the Pandorica. The Cracks in the Universe are caused by him breaking through from the alternate universe, as are his very public, attention grabbing actions of series 2-4 being wiped from time (it's caused a paradox, or something...). The Pandorica is an artificial Tardis he created after being stranded on the alternate earth.
And he's all dark and arrogant and slightly scary, like at the end of Waters of Mars. Imagine that.
Perhaps River Song could be the one that defeats him, thereby killing the best man she's ever known and answering that question.
A multiple Doctors story where they're actively against each other, not working towards the same ends, would be awesome. Imagine an evil 10th Doctor. C'mon. It'd be really good...

And all because he wanted to escape Rose...

It'd make my silly joke further up the page funnier.

I don't think they would bring Tennant back so soon. Though whenever the 50th anniversary is (2012? 2013?) it would make a great multiple doctor ep with 3 or 4 doctors fighting the 10th Doc clone thing.
Raven
One thing is for sure, whatever is in that giant puzzle box, it's not going to be Rose!
Everlong
"Quick, close the pandorica!"

I did like Rose but that would be even more mental.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I've put one of the pics in 'objects of desire' but for anyone who doesn't go in there, here's a link to a Radio Times gallery featuring some stunning shots of Ms. Gillan.

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features...aren-gillan/01/
Everlong
I hope she breaks the "companion leaves after one series" tradition.

Atara
I hope she stops doing duckface ten times an episode.
Llama
QUOTE (Atara @ Jun 19 2010, 07:47 AM) *

Yes.
widowspider
QUOTE (Atara @ Jun 19 2010, 07:47 AM) *

Yeah, she really doesn't need to.
Atara
biggrin.gif I thought I'd get flamed for that comment. Duckface is the downfall of many pretty girls.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Atara @ Jun 19 2010, 03:42 PM) *
biggrin.gif I thought I'd get flamed for that comment. Duckface is the downfall of many pretty girls.

Nah, there's no need to flame you. Her beauty is there for all to see. Any comments to the opposite are clearly madness.
lola
Make it be next Saturday!
Zoe
I'm presuming every one and his wife guessed the Doctor would be going in, rather than something coming out, which begs the question - why did the Doctor fall for it?
Jon 79
QUOTE (lola @ Jun 19 2010, 07:31 PM) *
Make it be next Saturday!

I've a magic blue box that you can get in that will take you to next Saturday instantly.
Takes a few minutes* to warm up though. D'you want to climb in?

*about 10,000.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 19 2010, 07:40 PM) *
I'm presuming every one and his wife guessed the Doctor would be going in, rather than something coming out, which begs the question - why did the Doctor fall for it?

Cos he's not the sharpest sonic tool in the box. ...Like him not noticing the presence of Rory for a while.
Zoe
Yeah, that's always been the Doctor's problem, being a right old thicko...

More going on here than meets the eye I think.
Everlong
Le merde hit le fan.

Good thing is, the spoiler I saw was from this episode so I go into episode 13 knowing nothing. NOTHING, yay!

What the feck was that thing with the teeth? I've not seen that before.
Atara
I don't know but it made me say 'what's that, that's cool'

That was great and what an awesome cliffhanger.

I very quickly started to think it could be something going in rather than out and I knew it would be something Doctor.
NiteFall
Well, that certainly beat the last couple of season finale cliffhangers. In my opinion anyway.
Shack
Hugely enjoyable episode tinged with well delivered lines and a huge dollop of sad.

Good stuff.

For one moment I thought they were going to go down the "it's all a dream in Amy's head" route.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 19 2010, 07:40 PM) *

I actually thought (stupidly) the/a Doctor might be in it. I figured there'd be some tricksies but didn't think he'd be the one put in until the soldiers revealed themselves to be fake
Raven
I was wondering whether the Doctor could already be in the box as well, up until the point where the Romans became Autons. After that it was:

ETA:

The aliens with the teeth, were they Weevils? (from Torchwood).
Everlong
I joked that it'd be the doctor, but didn't think it would be him, until he said the "the most feared being in the universe" line then I realised it would be him. I expected it to open to show the doctor rather than him just being put in.

I really do wonder how they'll get out of this one. River has been exploded, Amy dead, and the doctor locked in the Pandorica. Normally Doctor Who cliffhangers have someone escape or able to help, but what the hell is gonna happen here?Moffat is a genius.

Speaking of which "Steven Moffat" "pandorica opens" "Matt Smith" and "Amy pond" are all trending topics on UK twitter. I think this is the first time I've seen anything Doctor Who related trending.
Baz
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jun 19 2010, 08:43 PM) *
I really do wonder how they'll get out of this one. River has been exploded, Amy dead, and the doctor locked in the Pandorica. Normally Doctor Who cliffhangers have someone escape or able to help, but what the hell is gonna happen here?Moffat is a genius.

Captain Jack and Rose come to save the day. Or even worse......

Martha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.