Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Zoe
She gets more smug by the minute.

Cleopatra? Come on.
grumpygit
If she says "hello sweetie" one more time!
Everlong
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 22 2010, 11:58 AM) *
She gets more smug by the minute.

Cleopatra? Come on.

Yeah that was silly. But to me she was cacking it for the rest of the episode (well, from underhenge onwards) rather than smug.

QUOTE (grumpygit @ Jun 22 2010, 11:59 AM) *

Yeah that is annoying.
Zoe
QUOTE (grumpygit @ Jun 22 2010, 11:59 AM) *

Abso-fucking-lutely
Henry Krinkle
She's becoming the Doctor Who equivalent of Miss Piggy - she's supposed to be all glamorous and obnoxious and we're supposed to love her for it, but I don't know anyone that actually does. And it's like no one who makes the show can see it.
Raven
Glamorous and knowing, I'd say (I don't find her obnoxious).

I like the character.

I thought she was great in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and I didn't have a problem with her in the angels two-parter either.

As I said above, I like the way she interacts with the Doctor; I think they spark off each other very well.

I'm slightly surprised (and a tad bewildered) at all the anti-Song sentiment being voiced here.
Zoe
Oh don't worry, I dislike lots of characters.

I'll say this for Professor Song, she's no Martha Jones.
Raven
For the most part, I like Martha too!

(though she shouldn't have been married off to Micky, that made no sense at all).
Everlong
I wouldn't want to see River as a full time companion, but I'd like it if she was Moffat's version of Captain Jack, who turns up every now and again.

Martha would have been much better if she wasn't written as this lovesick puppy. The tone of series 3 would have been different.
Zoe
Don't get me started on Captain Jack...
widowspider
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 22 2010, 12:48 PM) *
Glamorous and knowing, I'd say (I don't find her obnoxious).

I like the character.

I thought she was great in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and I didn't have a problem with her in the angels two-parter either.

As I said above, I like the way she interacts with the Doctor; I think they spark off each other very well.

I'm slightly surprised (and a tad bewildered) at all the anti-Song sentiment being voiced here.

I really like her character too - the strong older woman is a nice way to balance the extreme youth of Amy and the current Doctor incarnation (although he plays timeless/ageless very well and is an old soul). It's fun to see the Doctor get flustered and not be the one holding all the cards for once - I'd be smug too if I was her! At least she doesn't do duckface like Gillan.
Everlong
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 22 2010, 02:11 PM) *
Don't get me started on Captain Jack...

BARROWMANNNN! *Shakes fist*

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 22 2010, 02:37 PM) *
I really like her character too - the strong older woman is a nice way to balance the extreme youth of Amy and the current Doctor incarnation (although he plays timeless/ageless very well and is an old soul). It's fun to see the Doctor get flustered and not be the one holding all the cards for once - I'd be smug too if I was her! At least she doesn't do duckface like Gillan.

I think that's her main selling point. "Look Doctor, you don't know everything mwahahahaaa".

And Gillan's duckface is.. odd.. but she's still gorgeous. I likes her.
Zoe
Even talking about her is annoying me

Maybe she is the new Martha...
Llama
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jun 22 2010, 02:47 PM) *

biggrin.gif
Atara
Duckface and starey eyes
Shack
My only problem with the whole series has been that I feel like I need to pay a lot of attention to everything lest I get confused.

I have no problem with River or Rory to be honest, and I'll be interested to see what they do with Amy dying.

The major triumph has been Matt Smith, who has basically held every episode together with asides, well delivered oddity and basically a clear demonstration of how to immerse yourself in a reinvented role. I'd forgotten about Tennant by episode 2.
Raven
QUOTE (Shack @ Jun 22 2010, 08:25 PM) *
I'd forgotten about Tennant by episode 2.

Who? wink.gif
mousespider
I don't mind River Song too much mostly because she's only smug when she first shows up. When the shit hits the fan she seems to snap back into what I like about her which is her intelligence, and loyalty to the Doctor.

And plus she has at least earned her smugness to a certain extent. One of the things I don't like about Amy is that, like Rose in season 2, she seems to have quickly become smug, and obnoxious after traveling with the Doctor for a short period of time. Apparently you just need to travel for a season or less and you know everything.

So far this season the only companion I've been completely happy with is Rory, and we all know how things have gone for him.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jun 22 2010, 02:47 PM) *

I had to watch an episode of The Movie Game the other week... Which he was hosting. ...He was so annoying. 'YO!!!!!!!!!!...'
gulfcoast_highwayman
I wonder if this will work....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/osm_art/4543801853/

Everlong
That's awesome.
m0r1arty
So when is it on tonight??

I've got to do some tinkering and the like to see it and want to make sure I get around to it as soon as possible.

Cheers for letting me know in advance!!

-m0r
Everlong
6:05 or 6:10 I think. It finishes in plenty if time before the football, I know that much.
m0r1arty
Cheers Everlong.

Good night's TV all round I should think!

-m0r
Raven
6.05pm it is.

Anticipation levels rising . . .
Raven
Now that is the way to end a series!

I really need to watch that through again, but that was just brilliant!

Moffat you are a genius; Smith you are simply fantastic.

Only downside, itís six months to Christmas Day. Bugger.
Llama
I have to say, this is the first time ever I've properly enjoyed an episode of 'Doctor Who'. Loved it.
Everlong
Wow. Now maybe I'm thinking it's "brilliant" as I'm comparing it to previous series finales, but.. Wow.

Mindbending, confusing (how did he get out of the Pandorica to give Rory the sonic to put in Amy's jacket etc?) but fuck it, I'm avoiding questions now, and happy to finally have an amazing finale (I enjoyed all of the others, but Big Bang absolutely wins over them).

That's how you write time travel fiction. I'm glad Amy and Rory are staying, and you know what the best thing is? We don't know who was behind it all! Series 6 arc there once they've sealed with the Christmas stuff.
Serafina_Pekkala
I'm finding Scottish Van Gogh versus the chicken monster to be hard going. I am not a fan of Richard Curtis at any time.

I may just skip over this one and that other with the fat bloke - just head straight to the season finale. Should I persist?
grumpygit
Loved the fez.
Raven
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jun 26 2010, 07:37 PM) *
I may just skip over this one and that other with the fat bloke - just head straight to the season finale. Should I persist?

Yes, The Lodger is lots of fun!
NiteFall
Probably the best finale new Who has had so far. Yes, it was a little weak in places and some of it doesn't stand up to being over-analysed (as I'm sure they're doing even now at the OG forums) but it was fun, emotional and above all well written.
Jon 79
Well that was all good fun.
'It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.'
Raven
^ Bzzaap!
Everlong
Poor fez.
Wife Of Rolex
I actually applauded it when the whole 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue' bit came up. Loved it. I've loved the whole series. Can't wait for the Christmas special and the next series where we'll finally find out who River Song is.

I'm glad the Van Gogh postcard on the fridge in The Lodger was explained otherwise I would've seen it as a terrible continuity oversight. And that would've bugged me.
monkeyman
Please to explain. What did I miss with the postcard?

Twas a fantastic episode and finale
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 27 2010, 10:28 AM) *
Please to explain. What did I miss with the postcard?

Twas a fantastic episode and finale

A postcard from the Van Gogh exhibition, seen in the previous episode to The Lodger, was on the fridge in Craig's (James Corden) flat. But later in the episode he said he'd never been to Paris, where the exhibition is. So how did he have a postcard from it? Turns out Amy posted it before The Doctor introduced himself.
monkeyman
Ah fair enough. I did spot the postcard in that episode, missed all other reference to it though.
Sostie
An OK end to a generally OK series. Despite the general OK-ness of it all, I do think both Smith and Gillen were excellent and seemed to take to their roles with great ease.

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Jun 26 2010, 09:39 PM) *
Can't wait for the Christmas special and the next series where we'll finally find out who River Song is.

Why am I convinced it was specifically stated in Silence In The Library that Song was the future Mrs Doctor?

Anyway, I'm now rooting for her to be a later re-generation of the Doctor.
Zoe
In which case he really is a narcissist.

I loved the finale. Really, bravo!

Will a married couple in the Tardis work? It'll be interesting that's for sure. I can't help but think Rory and Amy are the poor man's Larry and Sally.
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 28 2010, 11:00 AM) *
Anyway, I'm now rooting for her to be a later re-generation of the Doctor.

Which would mean the Doctor dies at the end of Forest of the Dead.
Everlong
When he does finally die permanently I'd like it to be like in the Big Bang. Going out in a blaze of glory, flying into a supernova or something.

omni
That was grand. Very satisfying.
maian
A terrific finale, possibly the only really satisfying series finale of New Who for me (though I haven't watched the others since they aired, so I may be judging them harshly in retrospect). Moffat delivered a clever, twisty script that managed to get the show out of the corner it appeared to paint itself into at the end of The Pandorica Opens without it feeling like a cheat. Some thrilling and exciting moments, but also some moments of real poignancy, such as the story of Rory waiting 2000 years for the woman he loved, and The Doctor's speech to Amelia towards the end.

Great. Can't wait for the Christmas special.
Raven
Johnny Depp to star in 'Doctor Who' film?

I'm pretty sure this is Digital Spy trying their old trick of turning a net rumour into "news", but I'm hoping it's not true because:

1) It seems Johnny Depp is linked to or in every film with a slightly eccentric character these days

and (more importantly)

2) He's not fuppin' British!
Llama
He's damn good at accents though...

But as much as I love the man, I wouldn't want to see him as The Doctor. It doesn't fit.
widowspider
Well that was chuffing brilliant. Loved it! I'm glad they have a married couple as the companions, it's a new idea and removes the annoying Rose/Doctor comparisons you inevitably get with any young, attractive female companion. Also, Rory is brills.
Raven
Re-cap of series five, with added Can-Can.

A good selection of clips, but some of the timing could have been better!

In other news . . .

Big Finish will be offering the first 50 titles in their main Doctor Who series* for a fiver each this coming Saturday (one day only!). Some very good titles to chose from, I would personally recommend Spare Parts and Creatures of Beauty.

*To Download or on CD.
Shack
Finally watched the last episode on Wednesday and I really liked it. Plenty of nice nods and winks to previous episodes, some very clever writing and I found the whole ensemble cast worked very well.

I like having Rory back. I think he's getting better.

Must. buy. fez.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.