Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Downsy
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ May 9 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Reminded me of 'Coma'.

It is Coma (thanks Simon and Edgar). It's a little odd that it seems pretty blatent in copying of the design. Maybe unintentional, but I'm suprised no-one commented.

Dot was a little confused about the missing pirate, he's quite a well known actor and she thought he may have had a more prominent encounter with the Siren?
m0r1arty
I'm not sure what the deal is with Stephen Thomson, but he's written The Blind Banker episode of Sherlock as well as this Curse of the Black Spot episode for Doctor Who.

I'm thinking perhaps he's on work experience or something but he's also writing one of the three Sherlock's due out this August.

He is a bit naff in my opinion.

As for actor who was buried in Eastenders and stuff, perhaps he'll get a special role in the finale with The Doctor jumping back through the prior episodes to sorting everything out.

Gaiman's shot this week - looking forward to seeing what he does.

-m0r
Raven
Moffat has a pop at fans who reveal spoilers (plus more information here).

Potential mild(?) spoiler about the end of the series:

There is a rumour doing the rounds, that I've been wondering about for the past couple of weeks myself, that Amy will be leaving at the end of this series (and I'm guessing by implication Rory as well). If true, this seems to tie in with the news that Arthur Darvill will be appearing on stage from June to October, which is usually around the time they start filming the Christmas Special. I can't, hand on heart, say I'll be sorry to see her go if this is true.
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ May 11 2011, 01:08 PM) *
There is a rumour doing the rounds, that I've been wondering about for the past couple of weeks myself, that Amy will be leaving at the end of this series (and I'm guessing by implication Rory as well). If true, this seems to tie in with the news that Arthur Darvill will be appearing on stage from June to October, which is usually around the time they start filming the Christmas Special. I can't, hand on heart, say I'll be sorry to see her go if this is true.

Yeah I read that (sort of spoilery, nothing plot related though) Arthur Darvill was going to be on stage all autumn, by which time they've probably filmled like 4 eps.

As much as I like Amy and Rory, I think 2 series is a good number for them, and probably as far as they can go.

Every Doctor has their definitive companion (like Second Doctor/Jamie, 3/Jo, 7/Ace etc) and I don't see Amy or Rory as being 11's. I think he needs a companion that compliments him perfectly, a proper team. A bit like the Fourth Doctor and Romana

EDIT: Regarding what Moffat said... He could have put it a bit better, but I do agree with him. I'd be quite cross if my stuff got spoiled in detail (I guess little hints etc are fine, but full run-downs? That's a bit off).
m0r1arty
I've read plenty of speculation and a lil' bit of the approved spoilers and I have to say I'm very excited about this next episode.

I was worried as I like Neil Gaiman as a comic writer, but after reading American Gods I wan't so sure,] he'd be a good Who writer.

Still to see it though, but am slightly excited about the little I've read!

-m0r
Everlong
This is the episode I've been anticipating for a long time. I loved Neverwhere, Good Omens, and his short story collections. American Gods I liked too, even if it was a bit stretched out. As for Sandman, I only read the first one a matter of months ago (only 10-ish years late!) but liked it. Needless to say he does rank among my favourite authors.

The beauty of this episode is that we know barely anything. I've seen interviews + reviews that state that it's both very funny and heartbreaking at the same time. I can't wait.
m0r1arty

-m0r
NiteFall
I really enjoyed that.
Rebus
That was a fantastic episode. Rory is becoming Doctor Who's equivalent of Kenny from South Park, and I now have a crush on the TARDIS.
Everlong
It seemed a bit cut short, you can tell a bunch of stuff was cut out. Hope it turns up on the DVD.

But aside from that, it was a great episode. Glad to see Gaiman finally going an episode, and it definitely didn't disappoint. As someone who was indifferent to Suranne Jones before, I officially think she's great now, a very Helena Bonham Carter/Bellatrix Lestrange performance. Without the evil.

It also had what are now my favourite pieces of Doctor Who dialogue...

"You never took me where I wanted to go."
"But I always took you where you needed to go."

and...

"I wanted to go see the universe so I stole a Timelord and I ran away"

On a geekier note, did House remind anyone else of GLaDOS from Portal a bit? (in the TARDIS scenes).

QUOTE (Rebus @ May 15 2011, 02:48 AM) *
That was a fantastic episode. Rory is becoming Doctor Who's equivalent of Kenny from South Park, and I now have a crush on the TARDIS.

Ah, but he didn't actually die laugh.gif (those creepy scenes were quite well done though)
widowspider
Great episode. It was hilarious, creepy and bittersweet all in one. Well done Neil!
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (widowspider @ May 16 2011, 03:26 PM) *
Great episode. It was hilarious, creepy and bittersweet all in one. Well done Neil!

The line about 'this is when we talked, and now it's nearly over' was wonderful.

And the image of The Doctor sat amongst all the wires under the console is one of my favourite things ever. It was just marvellous.
Jimmay
So far this series has been fantastic and I've actually gone out of my way to watch episodes on the iPlayer which I've never done with Who before. Except for Black Spot which was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen and made absolutely no sense. I'm surprised the boat stayed afloat it was so full of holes.
Shack
Sexy sexy Tardis.

I liked it, but then I've liked them all so far, just not liked them heaps. Solid but not special.
Raven
Well that was better than Fear Her!

(also, Karen Gillian wears too much makeup).
Everlong
Felt a bit of a step down from last week's Gaiman-ness, but I liked it. Dash of creepy. Actually laughed out loud at Rory's "Welcome to my world" re: dying.

Predictions for next week: They'll tell who the real worker is by his sneeze, and who the real Doctor is by the fact he isn't wearing any shoes.
Raven
I thought it was a better story than Gaimans.

QUOTE (Everlong @ May 21 2011, 08:53 PM) *
Predictions for next week: They'll tell who the real worker is by his sneeze, and who the real Doctor is by the fact he isn't wearing any shoes.

^ They will probably be the wrong shoes, rather than no shoes.
monkeyman
I enjoyed it, those things were pretty creepy.
Raven
It's got a very distinct classic Who vibe to it - The Doctor trying to keep the peace between a "menace" and idiot humans who just want to kill off the threat (see: The Silurians and the Sea Devils etc).

I'm looking forward to next week now!
NiteFall
QUOTE (Raven @ May 22 2011, 01:09 AM) *
It's got a very distinct classic Who vibe to it - The Doctor trying to keep the peace between a "menace" and idiot humans who just want to kill off the threat (see: The Silurians and the Sea Devils etc).

I'm looking forward to next week now!

I thought the same, that it felt very much like an episode of classic Who. In a good way. It's very much the sort of story you could imagine Pertwee or Tom Baker doing.
Everlong
The episode next week has a very 'Classic Who' title - The Almost People.

I think aside from the story and situation the setting is very much like the old series too - A dark, dim and remote castle/monastery type place being used as a base.
bigfatrich
QUOTE (Raven @ May 21 2011, 09:05 PM) *
I thought it was a better story than Gaimans.

^ They will probably be the wrong shoes, rather than no shoes.

"two left feet", perhaps.
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ May 22 2011, 09:23 AM) *
The episode next week has a very 'Classic Who' title - The Almost People.

Nah, it doesn't have "Doom", "Terror" or "Invasion" in the title!

I think aside from the story and situation the setting is very much like the old series too - A dark, dim and remote castle/monastery type place being used as a base.

Yes, a remote/isolated/cut off base under attack is also a classic Who staple.
Everlong
After talking about this with a friend, I have a stupid (and probably wrong) but slightly plausible theory about episode seven's big cliffhanger (think I'll spoiler this in case I'm right).

Amy IS pregnant, but not this Amy. I bet that in the 3 months that they were on the run, real Amy was taken and this one we've been watching is some sort of clone/duplicate thing being controlled by the real (and pregnant) Amy, and that she's being held by eyepatch woman (which I suppose is why she keeps seeing her in random spots)

This is just based on seeing this episode on Saturday, by the way, and probably way off the mark.
Zoe
I've been a bit disappointed with the production this series, anyone else think it's been less than visually inspiring? This week looked a lot like a cross between 'The Hungry Earth' and 'The Impossible Planet' to me, and all of the 'American' stuff in the opener looked a bit cheap and fancy dress.

Can't say it's been required viewing so far. The story arc is a bit baffling and not interesting, and none of the stories have really knocked my socks off.

Also, the characters all seem a little too pleased with themselves, I think smugness might be catching.

Finally, it still makes no sense to me that Rory isn't made out of plastic anymore.

Oh well, I still like it.
monkeyman
Rory not being plastic I don't get either. Anyone care to explain?
Zoe
QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 23 2011, 03:36 PM) *
Rory not being plastic I don't get either. Anyone care to explain?

I read the explanation of wikipedia, and was not happy with it.

As far as I'm concerned he's still plastic and Amy is a SICKO!
Rebus
Well the whole Universe was reset, so I think that's a reasonable enough explanation as to why he's back to normal. What confuses me is how he still has memories of it, if, technically, it didn't happen. But I'll just put that down to timey wimeyness.

Also, yes I'm definitely getting a bit of smug vibe off Amy. It's starting to get a little irritating, these quiet little 'trailer' sayings she mutters before dramatically stalking off somewhere, usually at the expense of Rory.

Overall though, I'm enjoying the series so far. Certainly not as strong as the last one, but I did love the Gaiman episode, and am looking forward to seeing how this two parter wraps up.
Everlong
Official website reveals the return of The Cybermen in Episode 7 (on 4th June). A picture (which was previously in Radio Times) has Rory in his centurion gear confronting them.
Zoe
*yawn!*
Everlong
Meh, just thought I'd share it as I'm having the rare quit day at work and it popped up on twitter.
NiteFall
At least it's not the return of Billie Piper. Again.
Everlong
QUOTE (Everlong @ May 23 2011, 02:54 PM) *
After talking about this with a friend, I have a stupid (and probably wrong) but slightly plausible theory about episode seven's big cliffhanger (think I'll spoiler this in case I'm right).

Amy IS pregnant, but not this Amy. I bet that in the 3 months that they were on the run, real Amy was taken and this one we've been watching is some sort of clone/duplicate thing being controlled by the real (and pregnant) Amy, and that she's being held by eyepatch woman (which I suppose is why she keeps seeing her in random spots)

This is just based on seeing this episode on Saturday, by the way, and probably way off the mark.

I'm frightened.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Everlong is a witch.
Everlong
Haha. I think this last week's episode planted too big a clue, and I made a lucky guess. I'm normally crap at predicting things. Oh well, broken clocks, twice a day, and all that.

There's a Trailer and "Prequel" on the website.

In the trailer, Eye patchy Frances Barber refers to Amy's Baby as "She". Uh oh.

Shack
Good ending! Looking forward to next week.

Although why Frances Barber suddenly looks older now she's talking I'm not so sure.
Raven
A good episode last night, I feel.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers for next weeks episode, but I've just seen the trailer on BBC One - how the hell are they going to fit all of that into 50 minutes?!
Rebus
What I don't get is why after the real Doctor came back into the room after having roughed up Amy, asked the flesh doctor he "felt that", to which the flesh doctor replied "yes, but evidently not as strongly as you." I'm confused. What was "it", and why did the real doctor feel it more?
Raven
He felt the Flesh's pain and their "Why?" question.

Not sure why the real Doctor felt it more than the Flesh Doctor though (possibly he was closer to the other Flesh?).

I watched the first four episodes through again last night, for the first time since they aired, and it works very well in one hit (though I still think The Curse of the Black Spot is pretty rubbish). Really enjoyed Neil Gaiman's episode the second time through, there's a lot of subtle stuff going on there.
Everlong
When he put his hand in the vat in the previous episode (before the flesh Doctor was born) he felt something, and I'm sure he said "Why?" right after.

I think it's just because he connected with it before his ganger was born, and just after another Ganger (Jenny's I think) had been made.
Wife Of Rolex
I've been enjoying the series so far but I do feel sorry for young kids watching. The balance is much more tipped towards adults this time round. Like I say, I've been enjoying it, but I don't know how many under 10s have.

QUOTE (Shack @ May 28 2011, 11:55 PM) *
Good ending! Looking forward to next week.

Although why Frances Barber suddenly looks older now she's talking I'm not so sure.

The other scenes filmed her standing up, looking into camera. In that last scene, with Amy in the white box, she was filmed looking downwards which made her face look different. Gravity pulled her face.

QUOTE (Rebus @ May 30 2011, 12:37 AM) *
What I don't get is why after the real Doctor came back into the room after having roughed up Amy, asked the flesh doctor he "felt that", to which the flesh doctor replied "yes, but evidently not as strongly as you." I'm confused. What was "it", and why did the real doctor feel it more?

Was that not to continue the conceit? To keep Amy believing the flesh Doctor was the real Doctor and the real Doctor was the flesh Doctor. The flesh Doctor feeling the pain of the flesh more than the real Doctor even though that wasn't the case. The flesh Doctor knew to play along.
Everlong
Been all over the internet for hours now, but Moffat "rests" the daleks

Glad to see this. Would be great if they stayed away for a couple of years and come back as a genuine threat in a really great story.

NiteFall
Yeah, I think it's the right move to make. It's hard to take them seriously as a threat when you see them get defeated in increasingly silly ways at least once a series. If you think back to the first episode they appeared in new Who that was one solitary, damaged Dalek being described as and coming across as, an indescribably evil and unstoppable killing machine. Frankly you couldn't write an episode like that now because they've been devalued as antagonists so much.
monkeyman
They should rest a lot of the other well known alien species and introduce more new ones, s'more interesting
Atara
I forgot how awesome the Dalek episodes were when Doctor Who first came back.
Raven
Moffat has already tweeted that he was only referring to resting the Daleks for this series.

For me, Doctor Who should be a balance between new and returning villains. The problem with returning villains so far though is that the results have been variable and quite often the adversary has ended up more of a background character than the main threat.

On occasion they have worked well; The Daleks have worked on occasion, Davros was pretty good and the Sontarans weren't bad either, but they have also fallen short; The Silurians last year, the Cybermen in The Next Doctor and the Master. The new series has created some great new monsters; The Ood, The Weeping Angels and The Silence, for example, but I would love to see some more updated old school monsters; The Ice Warriors, Axons and Zygons for a start!
Everlong
In terms of the new series, Series One Daleks were best, though Davros was very well done (also partly down to Julian Bleach's performance).

I want to see a proper Dalek story from Moffat. The only Dalek stuff he has done is a bit of last year's finale.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Raven @ May 31 2011, 07:10 PM) *
but I would love to see some more updated old school monsters; The Ice Warriors, Axons and Zygons for a start!

The Mummies out of 'The Pyramids' Of Mars or the robots in 'The Robots Of Death'. Both terrified me as a child. I remember having nightmares about them.
GundamGuy_UK
I'm finally up to date with Who now, after stopping watching at The Next Doctor. I'm really enjoying the Matt Smith series, and the Tennant specials were also good.

I wonder what will happen for the 50th Anniversary in a couple of years time? It'll have to be something big - the 25th Anniversary was The Five Doctors. I don't know how many Doctors are alive now (8?), but as awesome as it would be I don't really want it to be The X Doctors. It'd just feel a shame that some are no longer with us, and a few of those that are are getting on a bit and it'd look weird. It worked for Time Crash, but that was just with Davison. As others have mentioned, it can't just be the Daleks doing something really evil, because they always do that anyway.
Raven
They will have to come up with a really good idea to get all the surviving Doctors in the same room and make it work without the others being mere cameos.

I also think they will have the devils own job convincing Eccleston to come back.

It would be nice to see them do something with Paul McGann though.

Having the 2013 series be a quest of some kind where the 11th Doctor has to work with his previous incarnations could work, though that might end up being a big slice of fan-wank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.