Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
monkeyman
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 10 2011, 08:46 PM) *
No real complaints, but I think they should have kept the old Amy, it would have been a massive twist.

I wouldnt be surprised if she somehow shows up at some point...

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 10 2011, 09:09 PM) *
Really good episode, but a couple of little things- Why didn't young Amy mention finding their daughter to old Amy as a reason for her to be saved? and you'd have thought that at some point Rory would have got annoyed with the bitching about 36 years waiting and pointed out that as the last Centurion he waited the best part of 2000 years for Amy

I thought this too
widowspider
Just caught up on the last two episodes - the first one made me cry at the end. The scene with Old Amy and Rory through the Tardis door was beautiful. Wonderful performances from both actors.

Really enjoyed this last ep too - and curious to see what happens from here with Rory & Amy. How much will we see them? I've been insulated from any spoilers so it was a genuine and enjoyable surprise. Lovely supporting work from David Walliams and the other guest actors.
Everlong
I was half expecting Rita to be a future companion. Until, y'know, Minotaur Strike!

Looking forward to next week's episode. Corden and Smith were a fun combo last series.
Silky
QUOTE (Everlong @ Sep 18 2011, 10:37 PM) *
I was half expecting Rita to be a future companion. Until, y'know, Minotaur Strike!

Looking forward to next week's episode. Corden and Smith were a fun combo last series.

Yeah I didn't know there was a change com- PRAISE HIM! -ing but they did seem to be setting it PRAISE HIM that way.

Those clever buggers.
gulfcoast_highwayman
My nerdy self loved the Nimon reference. They were a naff villain, but Romana wore jodhpurs in that story.
Shack
QUOTE (widowspider @ Sep 18 2011, 10:23 PM) *
Lovely supporting work from David Walliams and the other guest actors.

And to think it was just the swim in the Thames what done that to him. No makeup required.
Everlong
Bill Bailey, Claire Skinner, Alexander Armstrong, and Arabella Weir are all guest starring in the Christmas Special (which seems to be filming now).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bul...ecial_The_Stars

Story info in there by the way, not very detailed, but may be deemed spoilery I suppose!
Shack
QUOTE (Everlong @ Sep 21 2011, 10:15 AM) *
Bill Bailey, Claire Skinner, Alexander Armstrong, and Arabella Weir are all guest starring in the Christmas Special (which seems to be filming now).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bul...ecial_The_Stars

Story info in there by the way, not very detailed, but may be deemed spoilery I suppose!

Alexander Armstrong is EVERYWHERE.
Raven
Even Sarah Jane's wall . . .
Everlong
That fanfare is stuck in my head now.

In other news... After the Christmas special, there's no Doctor Who until Autumn, it seems they're showing a full series in Autumn.

Build up to the big 5-0? There's supposedly a shitload of stuff happening in 2013 for it.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Huey Lewis was right all along.

And Stormageddon was a little star.
Silky
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Sep 24 2011, 08:15 PM) *
And Stormageddon was a little star.

Yep smile.gif
Raven
A pretty poor episode, all-in-all (even though Matt Smith was very, very good).

Hopefully, one day, the Cybermen will be used as real villains again, and not just as big name foils.
Atara
It was pretty bad. Corden should be banned from TV, he's obnoxious.
Baz
I've not been keen so far on this part of the series. Apart from the 1st episode, none of them have really grabbed me or excited me. I'm a little worried that the final 2 episodes will be anti climatic.
Everlong
This Saturday is the last until Christmas (it's a single episode finale this time!).

I've enjoyed the second half but it doesn't quite have that big Doctor Who feel. Good solid stories, but after the opening two-parter, Gaiman's ep, and the mid-season finale in the first half, this second half has lacked oomph. 'The Girl Who Waited' was the only big stand out this half so far.

Still better than a lot of stuff on TV though. Well, British stuff anyway.
maian
I enjoyed the most recent episode. Not as much as The God Complex or The Girl Who Waited, which I thought made for a really great one-two punch, but I thought it was pretty funny and really melancholy in a way that didn't feel forced or sentimental. The resolution was rubbish and the Cybermen could have been replaced with any number of other creatures, but on average I thought it was pretty solid.

My main gripes with the second half of the series have been that they just seemed to forget about Melody after Let's Kill Hitler (I though that in the case of Night Terrors it was because of it being switched around in the order, but apart from the ending of The God Complex I don't think they mentioned their missing child once) and that the episodes seemed really disconnected, which wouldn't be a problem if the first seven hadn't felt so connected. It's as if they wrote the arc for a whole series, then put almost all the episodes relating to it in the first half. I think having the cliffhanger in the middle really threw their rhythm off, narratively speaking.
Everlong
The complete lack of mentions of Melody until the end of 'The God Complex' was strange.

Even a passing mention would have stopped it looking a bit cack-handed. Having Night Terrors in part two was a terrible idea, a story in which a child is in danger, and Amy & Rory were pretty aloof. I know they'd sort of accepted in the previous episode that they had to leave River/Melody's life as it was, but it was still weird.

Still preferring Moffat's Who to RTD's Who, but its not without faults. Tighter script editing and story planning would have fixed that.

That said, maybe time is re-written on Saturday and they get her back as a kid.
maian
QUOTE (Everlong @ Sep 27 2011, 10:40 PM) *
Even a passing mention would have stopped it looking a bit cack-handed. Having Night Terrors in part two was a terrible idea, a story in which a child is in danger, and Amy & Rory were pretty aloof. I know they'd sort of accepted in the previous episode that they had to leave River/Melody's life as it was, but it was still weird.

I felt that a lot of the problems with the rest of the run could have been solved if they had hammered that point home just a little bit more. It's a really important thing to get across, and I thought that by underselling it in favour of a fun, lively tone it handicapped the episodes that followed. Obviously, something a little more artful than them saying "we accept this situation", but at least something stronger than what we got.
Sean of the Dead
I think they've given up on finding Baby Melody, because having Mels as a school friend means they couldn't have actually raised her. They really should have made that sentiment clearer, mind.
Raven
Does a 45 minute program really need a 45 minute making of every week? Clearly not, as Doctor Who Confidential has been cancelled by BBC Three.

No great surprise, given they have resorted to “Karen Gillian has driving lessons” and “Arthur Darvill swims with sharks” this series (not to mention the riveting interview with the catering staff . . .).

I think it’s also been a victim of its stoopidly long running length. If they had kept the programs to 15 or 20 minutes they could have concentrated on the interesting stuff and skipped the filler material.

Clearly, this is a further sign of Doctor Who’s imminent demise, though.
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Sep 28 2011, 04:53 PM) *
Clearly, this is a further sign of Doctor Who’s imminent demise, though.

I don't think it is. BBC Three (who may not exist themselves in a few years) and BBC Four are the ones getting cuts, and understandably BBC Three are looking into making more Dramas other than documentaries and crap sitcoms too.

Doctor Who makes a shitload of money (and that's just selling rights to other countries), and after iplayer figs still gets 8m viewers, 11m+ at Christmas.

Confidential doesn't get many viewers, costs money (extra camera crew, editing, labour etc., not to mention spending money on the cast doing random trips) and makes no money at all (I don't even know if they sell it abroad anywhere).

DWC is a fun and amusing thing sometimes, but with Doctor Who's permanent move to Autumn/Winter, Confidential would die on it's arse against X-Factor and BBC's own stuff on BBC One.

Raven
(I was being ironic).
Everlong
Ha, good.

I think there's probably plenty of fans out there who think they are trying to end Who.
Raven
There are certainly a lot of "fans" complaining at the moment.

Part of me is wondering if this is a deliberate move so that they can make a separate strand of documentaries in 2013.
NiteFall
Okay, can't say I saw that coming, even though it was blindingly obvious in hindsight. Also is time being horribly borked the Steven Moffat equivalent of Russell Davies having the Daleks return in every finale?
Everlong
I felt sad at the Brigadier phone call. Nice tribute though.

Best bit about that was that this sort of ends the "Big bad doctor" of recent years.

Even though it was the finale, I felt a couple of episodes (the opener, Gaiman's ep, and Girl Who Waited) were stronger. Still, a good finale. Hoping this is the end of a long arc, it needs to go back to basics. That said, I have enjoyed these last 2 series, I just think it needs to be less arc intensive.

As for the solution... It would always be the flesh Doctor or the Teselector.
monkeyman
Who is the brigadier? Totally went over my head D:

Great episode though.
NiteFall
Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, played by the late Nicholas Courtney.
Raven
The mention of the Brigadier caught me completely flat-footed, and I have to admit I did choke up. His death being the Doctor's final straw was a nice touch. Well played Mr. Moffat.
Silky
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 2 2011, 01:07 AM) *
The mention of the Brigadier caught me completely flat-footed, and I have to admit I did choke up. His death being the Doctor's final straw was a nice touch. Well played Mr. Moffat.

Yeah. I've never watched the old Doctor Who so I didn't know who he was, but when you mentioned it, it made me suspect that they wrote that little scene since his death.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Yes, the tribute to the Brig was most touching.

I hope we get something simialr for Sarah Jane in the next series.
Raven
I don't know, I'm not sure I'd want a direct reference to Sarah-Jane's death in Doctor Who. I'd prefer to think of her as still going on, battling aliens and such.
Everlong
I think they've said Sarah Jane will live on.

'They' being Phil Ford and Gareth Roberts.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Her last episodes start airing tomorrow on the Cbbc channel.
Shack
I think I'd have enjoyed it more last night if they hadn't flagged the obvious get-out-jail-free card so early on.

I want a hot air balloon for my car.
Atara
I wasn't hugely fond on the finale
widowspider
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 2 2011, 12:07 AM) *

It was very touching. A lovely tribute, subtly done.

I really enjoyed the finale - it felt a little scattered in places, but some fine acting from the leads and I was glad they wrapped up these huge arcs. I also liked the way that the Doctor said he had become 'too visible' and was going to slip back into the shadows. It'll be nice to see them play with that next series/Christmas special - all the villains recently have known who he is or there's been a lot of talk about how he's so famous.
Downsy
QUOTE (Shack @ Oct 2 2011, 05:20 PM) *
I think I'd have enjoyed it more last night if they hadn't flagged the obvious get-out-jail-free card so early on.

It did seem like one hell of a 'here's your answer' sign. The intonation of the 'are you sure?' was quite a give away.

widowspider
QUOTE (Downsy @ Oct 3 2011, 03:28 PM) *
It did seem like one hell of a 'here's your answer' sign. The intonation of the 'are you sure?' was quite a give away.

I think I'm really thick, because I totally missed it.
maian
I liked the finale a great deal. I thought it was a strong ending to a series that was not quite as good as last year, but still had some really fine episodes. (Having watched The Doctor's Wife again on a recent plane journey I think I would place it as the absolute highlight of series six.) I hope that the speech at the end was an acknowledgement that the show has been leaning a little too heavily on mythology and grand narrative recently and that the idea of the Doctor being forced to help people in a more secretive manner will give the show new focus and energy. I also appreciated that they seemed to wrap up the Rory/Amy/River stuff for the moment, suggesting that the next series or specials or whatever won't have quite the baggage that this series has had.

So, yeah, a strong finale to a not as strong as it could have been series.
Raven
I'd have to go with The Girl Who Waited as the best story of this series - a good, strong science fiction story that was genuinely touching.

I don't think we've seen the last of River Song, not so sure about Amy and Rory though. I suspect they will be back, but I won't be upset if they are not.

Male companion next Mr. Moffat, let’s have something different!
PrincessKate
I would like a whole series where the Doctor never gets kissed. It would please me greatly.
Very up and down sort of series but satisfied with the conclusion.
maian
I'm sure River will be back - their relationship has only just begun, really, and she can drop in and out of The Doctor's life accordingly - but the whole Melody Pond/River Song thing and the weirdness of her relationship with her parents seems to have been put to bed now. (I really liked the scene of River and Amy at the end. It really suggested that they had reached a different stage in their relationship as mother and daughter. An odd one, admittedly.) I can imagine Rory and Amy showing up from time to time in the future since they're all family now, but I'd like to see The Doctor out on his own/with different companions for a bit now.
widowspider
It certainly feels like that will be the direction the series will take next.
Raven
They have already said that there won't be a big story arc next year.
Baz
I didn't think it was the strongest of finales but it wasn't the worst, RTD still takes that honor.
Seeing as Mrs Pond is now my neighbour (no joke) maybe I can ask her if she will pop up in the next series.

I'm hoping for a few stories with the Doctor on his own next series rather than always having to have a companion.
Raven
I'm still not sure what I think about the last series.

There were some real clunkers there, but also some good individual episodes (The Girl Who Waited being the highlight for me). I also think the on-going story line was too heavy and didn't work very well (and I wasn't all that taken with the Tessellator double, either). The redeeming side of it though was Matt Smith, who was a joy to watch every week.

QUOTE (Baz @ Oct 4 2011, 08:41 PM) *
I'm hoping for a few stories with the Doctor on his own next series rather than always having to have a companion.

I'd prefer to see the Doctor with a male companion for a change, especially if River Song (who I like) is going to keep appearing. I think it could make for a good dynamic and it would make a change from the Doctor seemingly stalking the Earth for near jail-bait travelling companions.

NiteFall
I have to say, I did like the Doctor- Rory dynamic this last season. It was nice to have someone who didn't see the Doctor as this infallible demigod.
Raven
I think Amy would fall into that catagory now, as well, but I get what you mean.

It would be good to have a male character going around with him doing all the romance bit and just having the Doctor be the Doctor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.