Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Everlong
Aside from the pirates ep, I thought each episode had it's strengths.

I can't remember if it was Moffat or Gatiss that said this, but there were a couple of motives for the arc. Firstly to show that The Doctor can royally fuck up, and secondly, that they wanted to 'end the Doctor's universal fame'. It was his reputation that led to Amy being deprived of Melody/River's childhood, so they're kinda linked.

Even though I did like Series 6, the arc weighed the episodes down a bit BUT it led us to a great point... The point where The Doctor realises 'no more showing off'. He has returned to being this anonymous figure in the universe (to an extent), and I reckon Series 7 might be fantastic, expecially since Moffat has said it will be a lot less arc focussed.
widowspider
Pretty much yes to all of the above.
Baz
QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 28 2011, 01:39 PM) *
I'd prefer to see the Doctor with a male companion for a change, especially if River Song (who I like) is going to keep appearing. I think it could make for a good dynamic and it would make a change from the Doctor seemingly stalking the Earth for near jail-bait travelling companions.

As long as River doesn't start to become the Captain Jack of Moffats Era of Who, I'd like to see her return.
Raven
Series 6 soundtrack to be released 5th December.

I'm struggling to see how they can squeeze two disks out of this (given that they re-used a lot of the themes from series five).
Raven
BBC Worldwide announce the first official Doctor Who convention.

And at £99 a ticket per day they can fuck right off!
Everlong
Yeah, I'll give that a miss.

I don't want to go to a show specific convention, if ever I go to a con, it'll be SDCC/NYCC or SFX Weekender.
PrincessKate
+ an additional £25 if you want Matt's autograph (but only £20 for Mr Moffat's).
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Nov 12 2011, 12:01 PM) *
Yeah, I'll give that a miss.

I don't want to go to a show specific convention, if ever I go to a con, it'll be SDCC/NYCC or SFX Weekender.

If I could afford it, I'd like to go to the Gallifrey convention they have in LA each February because they seem to do a good job in pulling in a lot of big names (though more from Classic Who than New).

ComicCon also appeals, but SFX Weekender is one I wouldn't go near with a very long barge-pole.
Raven
'Doctor Who' movie to be directed by 'Harry Potter's David Yates.

Stand alone from the TV series? So that will have the Daleks in it then.
Everlong
Seems that if it happens, it's a long way off.
Raven
I'm not really that fussed about it at the moment. As long as they don't stop the TV series, I'll be happy.
Everlong
Indeed. It seems to be a different continuity anyway, so one shouldn't affect the other. Of course I'd be pleased if it's also good.

But yes, as long as we still see the show on the Beeb, I'm happy.

Speaking of which, Doctor Who's official twitter feed has been going on about a special scene on Friday's Children In Need. Looks like we're getting more than a Christmas preview! (The title should be announced too, apparently).
Raven
I would imagine that any film will be held in a similar continuity to the Peter Cushing jobs from the sixties (i.e. complete asides).

I'll wager science fiction forums everywhere are going to be rife with speculation over who is going to play the Doctor.
GundamGuy_UK
Everyone seems to be complaining about it like it's a travesty (as us nerds are wont to do, I know). Personally, I don't see any reason why it can't be stand-alone AND fit into the TV show.

Just have The Doctor arrive on contemporary Earth, meet a new companion, and go on an adventure. Think back to "Rose", like that. He didn't say "Hello Rose, I am the Tenth Doctor and I've done this and this before..." or whatever. If he's just "The Doctor", it can be assumed he's a future regeneration of him, and not numbering it will allow it to always exist in the future of the Doctors own personal timeline.

All incarnations of The Doctor have traveled all over the place, so why can't the Eleventh (or Twelfth by the time it comes out) and the Xth both happen to be on Earth in the same year?
Raven
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 16 2011, 05:04 PM) *
Everyone seems to be complaining about it like it's a travesty (as us nerds are wont to do, I know).

I found the "fan" reaction to be largely negative, which has become disappointingly predictable in Who circles over the last few years.

What did surprise me, thought, was the bile and hatred being aimed at David Yates for seeming having done nothing more than directing the last four Harry Potter films (which I thought were pretty good, myself).

Personally, I don't see any reason why it can't be stand-alone AND fit into the TV show.

Terrible idea, why handicap yourself at the start by trying to make your new franchise fit someone else's mould?

There are things they will have to keep, like the TARDIS being a Police Box, otherwise it's just not Doctor Who, but past that I see no reason why it has to even attempt to tie into the same continuity (my only exception to them doing what they want would be that they don't do an origin story).

Smallville ran on TV at the same time Superman Returns was in the cinema, it's perfectly possible to have two interpretations of the same franchise running at the same time without them stepping on each others toes.

And it's not like Doctor Who hasn't done it before, either . . .
Atara
I'm hoping it's good. I imagine it'll be entirely seperate to the TV show, at least going by what i've read, and I'll be glad if it is.

GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 16 2011, 07:06 PM) *
Terrible idea, why handicap yourself at the start by trying to make your new franchise fit someone else's mould?

I don't think it's a terrible idea. The Doctor from the movie could be hundreds of years older than the one we're seeing now. The important thing is to not make a big deal of it, just call him The Doctor and leave it at that. No reference to what number he is, or regeneration. That way, it'd be completely its own thing, but to fans of the show it would be very easy to think of it as existing in the same continuity, albeit far in the future (of the Doctor's personal timeline, I mean).

It would only fit the mould in the sense that it would still be Doctor Who - he's a Time Lord, he has the TARDIS Police Box, etc etc.
Raven
Why does it need to be in the same continuity at all?

No one in their right mind would try to establish continuity between the Adam West, Tim Burton and Christian Bale Batman films; they are their own entities, so why should Doctor Who attempt to do so?

By all means keep the Batmobile and the Bat Cave, but there's no need to try and make Adam West Christian Bale's camp Granddad.
GundamGuy_UK
Because for the past fifty years, all the episodes, books etc. have all existed within the same continuity.

I think it'll be more a matter of perspective. It will exist as its own entity, but with a little reading between the lines you can slip it into the rest. Like I said, given that the nature of the show is that both the Doctor and the TARDIS change appearance, and companions come and go, it will fit in with the show's continuity unless it's dramatically different to the original, which I highly doubt.
Everlong
Smallville/Superman Returns (and of course the original movies)
Nolan's Batman trilogy / Arkham games / Comics
BBC Sherlock / Robert Downey Jr movies / The upcoming American Sherlock

Many more...

Loads of franchises (mainly comic based stuff though) have different continuities running at once. Don't see why there can't be a separate Doctor Who. The fact Yates is directing, and that Jane Tranter was heavily involved in getting Who back on air years ago, makes me think it's already on the right track.

That said, this could be the same continuity, and for example, Matt regenerates in 2014 into the movie Doctor. Though I really can't see them abandoning the TV series.

The other mystery option, and one which would be probably more acceptable, is a younger version of the First Doctor. Not the origins (the origins must forever stay secret, I like that mystery), but him looking like some man in his 30s/40s or something. Early adventures in the TARDIS, but not quite the beginning.
Raven
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 16 2011, 08:47 PM) *
Because for the past fifty years, all the episodes, books etc. have all existed within the same continuity.

Rot, the Peter Cushing films don't follow the same continuity as the TV series (he's human in them!) and the TV series continuity is notoriously poor itself (just how many times can a Timelord regenerate again? etc).

QUOTE (Everlong @ Nov 16 2011, 08:49 PM) *
That said, this could be the same continuity, and for example, Matt regenerates in 2014 into the movie Doctor. Though I really can't see them abandoning the TV series.

As much as I would like to see it - given a decent script - I can't see Matt Smith playing the Doctor on the big screen. Although I have no information to base this on, I think this film will be something separate and distinct, like the Peter Cushing films.

The other mystery option, and one which would be probably more acceptable, is a younger version of the First Doctor. Not the origins (the origins must forever stay secret, I like that mystery), but him looking like some man in his 30s/40s or something. Early adventures in the TARDIS, but not quite the beginning.

But that would just be the Doctor and Susan totting around, and how young would she be if the Doctor is in his 30s/40s? (perhaps she regenerated into a baby, alá River Song!).

I have a feeling Moffat is going to look into the Doctor’s past during the 50th Anniversary (Who are you? WHO ARE YOU?! etc).
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 16 2011, 11:27 PM) *
(Who are you? WHO ARE YOU?! etc).

You mean "DOCTOR WHO!?"

I deliberately missed out the Cushing movies, they're the exception tongue.gif

Didn't The Doctor steal the TARDIS? I'm sure he also said that he'd never really used one before then, either.
Raven
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 17 2011, 12:29 AM) *
You mean "DOCTOR WHO!?"

^ Yes, that.
monkeyman
Didn't the TARDIS steal the Doctor?
Raven
That's what Idris claimed!
NiteFall
What? Stringer Bell stole the Doctor?
maian
If this film stars Idris Elba as The TARDIS I am so there!
NiteFall
Idris Elba is The TARDIS, Dominic West is The Doctor?
I'm desperately trying to think of a Doctor Who / The Wire based pun for a title, but I really can't. Where's Ade when you need him?
Everlong
Apparently tonight on Children In Need we have a naked Matt Smith and a trailer for the Christmas special. And supposedly they're announcing the title of the special.

And I can't think of a Wire/Doctor Who pun either. Closest I got was Pyramids Of Omars.
sweetbutinsane
It looks pretty cool. I'm determined to get back into watching it so I'll definitely be tuning in on Christmas Day. smile.gif
Everlong
So... A forest, a 'Wardrobe', snow, the title The Doctor, The Widow, And The Wardrobe...

Narnia-tastic laugh.gif The trailer is here!

EDIT: And those Treebeard looking things looked good.
widowspider
QUOTE (Everlong @ Nov 18 2011, 09:57 PM) *
So... A forest, a 'Wardrobe', snow, the title The Doctor, The Widow, And The Wardrobe...

Narnia-tastic laugh.gif The trailer is here!

EDIT: And those Treebeard looking things looked good.

OMG Bill Bailey is in it! Awesomesauce.
Everlong
Two more missing 1960s episodes found

Galaxy 4 Part 3, and The Underwater Menace Part 2.

Seems that there will be a DVD with them on soon.
Raven
^ There are a number of sites saying "two more" like this is a regular occurance, it's not!

The last episode that was handed back to the BBC was in 2004, which makes 3 episodes in 7 years. At this rate, and even if they are all found, it will be March 2258 before the BBC have a complete line up!
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 11 2011, 08:38 PM) *
^ There are a number of sites saying "two more" like this is a regular occurance, it's not!

The last episode that was handed back to the BBC was in 2004, which makes 3 episodes in 7 years. At this rate, and even if they are all found, it will be March 2258 before the BBC have a complete line up!

If only there were some way to travel forward in time...
Raven
Series 7 spoiler:

Doctor Who's Amy and Rory to leave during next series.

No great surprise, really.
Everlong
Heh, I thought that they had already left. Guess they'll be back episode one of series 7 then since they aren't in the Christmas episode!
GundamGuy_UK
The Night Before Christmas
Raven
Well that was a bit "meh" (last night, rather than the above).

I may revise that later though, as I quite often find I enjoy Moffat Who more on a second vieiwng!
sweetbutinsane
I thought it was sweet, if a bit odd. The main thing I took away from it is that I like Eleven, so I am quite looking forward to getting back into Who again properly.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Claire Skinner, sat atop a phallic tower, whilst lots of wood enters her via a magic ring.
Raven
You need to get out more.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Hey, the tower then launched a giant sperm into some kind of cosmic fallopian tube.
sweetbutinsane
You've totally ruined that episode for me now. laugh.gif
Everlong
Her children watching 'n' all...

GULFCOAST YOU ARE EVIL.
sweetbutinsane
I didn't even think of that. You just made it even worse! laugh.gif
PrincessKate
It was entirely 'meh'. Matt was as he always is and it was very odd seeing Angeline from The Greatest Store in the World all grown up, but the rest of it was completely dull.
Everlong
I preferred it to 'Voyage Of The Damned' still.

I liked the last 15 mins or so, basically. They sort of shoved the story up one end.
GundamGuy_UK
The First Question

Pretty cool trailer-style video for Doctor Who's 50th.
Raven
'Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock'.

Good trailer!

ETA:

Moffat teases 50th anniversary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.