Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Raven
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 8 2008, 11:23 AM)
Come on...  Sure, in the beginning, she complained a lot, but she was feisty annoying... 

Fixed!
Svein
Maybe I'm looking through rose coloured lenses...

Hey... she couldn't be any worse than Adric!
Hamish
I am really excited by Donna. She really does seem original and Rose and Martha are coming back anyway so there isn't any point in just having another companion like that.

Fires of Pompeii does look pretty good!
KevinandNick
QUOTE (Hamish @ Apr 8 2008, 11:18 AM)
Fires of Pompeii does look pretty good!

Indeed - it was actualy shot at the legendary Cinecitta Studios just outside Rome.

Nick & I made a pilgrimage to the place quite a while back - there is still much magic to the studios, with many leftover props from the sword & sandal epics of the 50s & 60s still very much evident. smile.gif

Kev W
Raven
Richard Dawkins in Doctor Who.

Any takers on Davis taking a pop at religion in one of the later episodes?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 8 2008, 01:56 PM)
Any takers on Davis taking a pop at religion in one of the later episodes?

He'd never do that. Hackneyed cliche is anathema to ol' Rusty. wink.gif

Only joking. Like all atheists, RTD is completely obsessed with religion.
Svein
I tell you one thing that I do miss... the old classics where they're back in the dark or middle ages for at least some amount of time... Kinda like the Time Meddler or The King's Demons...
Raven
. . . The Shakespeare Code . . .
Starscream`s Ghost
I think he meant something good.
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 8 2008, 03:22 PM)
. . . The Shakespeare Code . . .

Problem with the Shakespeare code was it didn't have that "I'm watching classic actors really ham it for a kids show" feel...
Hamish
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Apr 8 2008, 11:26 AM)
Indeed - it was actualy shot at the legendary Cinecitta Studios just outside Rome.

Nick & I made a pilgrimage to the place quite a while back - there is still much magic to the studios, with many leftover props from the sword & sandal epics of the 50s & 60s still very much evident. smile.gif

Kev W

I'm actually looking forward to the episode of Confidential as much as the show because they have a little tour around their visit Vesuvius and stuff.
Raven
Doctor Who heads to the BBC Proms.

I wouldn't mind going to that!

ETA:

Classic Series Figues!

I'll bet the Tom Baker one sells well!
princess_shrek
I love all the music listed for this but not enough to travel to London on a weekend in July sad.gif I'll catch it on Radio 3 instead.

Now (shameless plug!) if this had been part of the Edinburgh International Festival (this year's theme being Artists without Borders), this would be a completely different matter smile.gif
KevinandNick
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2008, 12:09 PM)

Oh man, the Colin Baker & Sea Devil figures are lovely! I hope they bring out a Patrick Troughton figure - they'll certainly have a sale there... smile.gif

Kev W
gulfcoast_highwayman
I want one of them Robots Of Death!

Apart from the Mummies in 'Pyramids Of Mars' they are the scariest monster I can remember on proper Who.
Raven
Dr Who fan makes own shows.

My usual reaction to fan films is "Oh, Christ no!", but for a 14 year old, that's fairly impressive!
Drifter
BLE PETER PRESENTER TO STAR IN DW
Everlong
And in the 2008 Christmas special we have...

Cybermen!

SPOILERY link from OG...

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/mostpopul...ade_newport.php
Atara
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2008, 06:07 PM)

My usual reaction to fan films is "Oh, Christ no!", but for a 14 year old, that's fairly impressive!

That guy is meant to be 14?
GundamGuy_UK
He looks older than me...
Raven
QUOTE (Atara @ Apr 11 2008, 08:32 PM)
That guy is meant to be 14?

That's what the BBC news web site said.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2008, 06:07 PM)

Impressive, but he should really think about making the part his own and not copying Tennant. wink.gif
Raven
Oh come on, he's 14, give him a break!

If you had done something similar at 14 it would have been Baker or Davidson inspired, you can't criticise him for that!
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 12 2008, 12:39 AM)
If you had done something similar at 14 it would have been Baker or Davidson inspired, you can't criticise him for that!

Of course you can. If he's putting work out there, it can be criticised.

If it were a skit, then fair enough, but it's not.
Raven
You have got to be joking! (but - unfortunately - you probably aren't).

This is someone who at 14 is writing, directing, editing and producing their own fan-films - and from the little I've seen of them, he is someone who is doing a jolly good job of it!

It's supposed to be a bit of fun, not something that is supposed to be critiqued by the masses!

I wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing some of the things he's pulled off (how the hell did he create that TARDIS console room for instance?!), but - once again - all you can do is bitch about it!

In ten/twenty years he could be the next Spielberg, then again he may not! But for god sake, you could give the chap some points for doing something more than just sitting at his PC and ranting about how bad Russell Davis is at doing things . . .
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 12 2008, 12:58 AM)
you could give the chap some points for doing something more than just sitting at his PC and ranting about how bad Russell Davis is at doing things . . .

And maybe you could grow a sense of humour, Paul.

I would have thought that the very fact that I'd put wink.gif on my original post was proof that it was meant as a humourous comment - obviously I should have made that clearer.

I certainly don't think I deserved the response I just got - but there you go. I'm funny, in that I don't make snide and veiled comments about people - if I have a problem I tend to just state it.
Raven
Of course, my bad, you were obviously joking, which is why you backed your "humorous" comment up with the following:

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 12 2008, 12:43 AM)
Of course you can. If he's putting work out there, it can be criticised.

If it were a skit, then fair enough, but it's not.

Silly me, I must have missed the winky in that one! wink.gif

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 12 2008, 01:02 AM)
I certainly don't think I deserved the response I just got - but there you go. I'm funny, in that I don't make snide and veiled comments about people - if I have a problem I tend to just state it.

I'm not making snide or veiled comments about what you have said, I'm passing direct comment on the way you are never satisfied with anything Who related unless it fits into your own personal definition of what Doctor Who is!

The kid in question is 14 years old and he's done a jolly good job of making his own fan-film, lighten up!
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 12 2008, 01:27 AM)
I'm not making snide or veiled comments about what you have said, I'm passing direct comment on the way you are never satisfied with anything Who related unless it fits into your own personal definition of what Doctor Who is!

I'm so sorry, I didn't realise that I wasn't allowed an opinion; how silly of me.

I'll make sure I keep any and all comments to myself in the future.
mousespider
blink.gif Um, so how about that Doctor huh? Flying around with his... two hearts... and blue...box thing. biggrin.gif unsure.gif
princess_shrek

I'm not quite sure I should have had that as wallpaper on my laptop when I was using it for the training session today, but I don't think anyone saw it clearly enough wacko.gif
Drifter
QUOTE (princess_shrek @ Apr 12 2008, 04:05 PM)
[I'm not quite sure I should have had that as wallpaper on my laptop when I was using it for the training session today, but I don't think anyone saw it clearly enough  wacko.gif

Ah live a little... happy.gif

I like this one too

Hamish
Well that was rather enjoyable.
Llama
Agreed. Very good performances from both Tennant and Tate.
princess_shrek
I enjoyed the episode. I liked the humorous references to other TV shows and films.

I like the way the dynamic's developing between Donna and the Doctor, but I'd like Donna to be less shouty.
NiteFall
Hmm. Somewhat annoyingly this weeks episode is only available streaming on the iPlayer, and not to download. Which sucks.
Drifter
She could lay off with all the shouty, at one point she started to sound like one of her alter ego characters from her show but not a bad episode especially her answer to him using the water pistol
princess_shrek
QUOTE (Drifter @ Apr 13 2008, 02:01 PM)
She could lay off with all the shouty, at one point she started to sound like one of her alter ego characters from her show but not a bad episode especially her answer to him using the water pistol

the water pistol was inspired smile.gif
tigerlily
That felt like an old-school episode of Who. Maybe it was the use of a quarry.

Of course in the old days it would have taken 4-6 weeks to get anywhere but I think that episode showed how a storyline could be paced to fit in a lot of Who elements but in a shorter time period.

Very much liking this series so far.
GundamGuy_UK
I'm really liking this series theme tune, I must say.
Kick in the Head
As a former Latin student, I liked the references to textbook characters (I read up about all of Quintus' exploits, not always down the thermopolium - "Ecce! Mons Vesuvius!" etc.), though they were based on real Pompeii residents.

And was it just me, or were the soothsayers suffering from a serious case of 'Cobbles'?
Llama
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 13 2008, 11:41 PM)
And was it just me, or were the soothsayers suffering from a serious case of 'Cobbles'?

That was the first thing I thought of too.
curtinparloe
I watched both new episodes on Friday, and the first one was utterly dreadful. The story was silly, the Rose thing was pointless and didn't seem to fit the chronology, and most of the acting was appalling.

Luckily I stuck it out (not my pea-ness) for the second; it was immeasurably better. And Tate was far less annoying.
GundamGuy_UK
Speaking of Rose, notice the not-so-subtle reference this episode to her?

Guess that'll be this series' thing.

That woman with the Ood next week is the Nubian Queen in Attack of the Clones, I believe.
Wife Of Rolex
I thought that was a damn good episode actually. Slightly silly bits here and there but overall very good and highly enjoyable. It gave me the odd shiver too, which is exactly what I want from Doctor Who.

Also, when the Soothsayer queen(?) was revealed she was very creepy. It's the first time I've seen anything in the New Who series that has the same creep out levels as the squigley cyclops character from the original series that freaked me out as a kid. Some 7 year olds wet themselves this weekend. As it should be. biggrin.gif
Svein
Whew... That episode was a real relief... That's what Who should be... Suspense, what's going on, fair amount of mystery, and some really good chemestry between Tate and Tennant.

Effects were good and it just "felt" like an old school episode...
Raven
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Apr 13 2008, 11:19 PM)
I'm really liking this series theme tune, I must say.

I really don't like it.

It's not as grating as it was when I first heard it on Voyage of the Damned, but it's still jarring and intrusive, and not a patch on the previous orchestral version. For some reason I can imagine some studio exec visiting Murray Gold and saying, [of the previous version] "That's really good, but could you make it a little more funky?".

I watched Fires of Pompeii last night, very good, a much more meaty story than last weeks. My only quibbles with it where the Eastenders/Only Fools and Horses Romans, and that it seemed a little out of character for the Doctor to have to be prompted to try and save someone.

Two very good performances by Tennant and Tate again though, some good special effects and I liked the running joke about the TARDIS translation mechanism!
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 14 2008, 10:48 AM)
I really don't like it.

It's not as grating as it was when I first heard it on Voyage of the Damned, but it's still jarring and intrusive, and not a patch on the previous orchestral version.  For some reason I can imagine some studio exec visiting Murray Gold and saying, [of the previous version] "That's really good, but could you make it a little more funky?".

I'm in total agreement. When I heard it last week, all I kept thinking was "this is really annoying..." Nearly as bad as the theme for the Fox TV movie. I remember, as a kid, that theme sending shivers down my spine... I can't imagine shivers being sent anywhere with the new theme...
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 14 2008, 10:48 AM)
Two very good performances by Tennant and Tate again though, some good special effects and I liked the running joke about the TARDIS translation mechanism!

I did like the "speaking Celtic" bits... very clever... a really nice piece of writing, and again... just old school!
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 13 2008, 11:41 PM)
As a former Latin student, I liked the references to textbook characters (I read up about all of Quintus' exploits, not always down the thermopolium - "Ecce! Mons Vesuvius!" etc.), though they were based on real Pompeii residents.

I did enjoy that - it brought the old Cambridge Latin Course memories flooding back. Caecilius est pater indeed.
widowspider
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 13 2008, 10:41 PM)

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Apr 14 2008, 11:51 AM)
I did enjoy that - it brought the old Cambridge Latin Course memories flooding back. Caecilius est pater indeed.

Brilliant! I did two years of Cambridge Latin, so it'll be fun when I get to watch this episode!
Sostie
Finally got to see Saturday's episode yesterday. Better than expected for an "historical" episode, and one more win for Catherine Tate. She's great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.