Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Zoe
That's down to the Press Association.

The Mail has lifted the article pretty much verbatim.
Svein
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 22 2008, 02:18 PM)
That's down to the Press Association.

The Mail has lifted the article pretty much verbatim.

I'll still find a way to blame the Mail for it... It's the Mail, after all... I'm surprised that the Doctor's most heinous foes aren't Albanians!
Zoe
Campest promo shot ever

There were some others with Martha in, but I didn't like them for some reason...
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 22 2008, 11:57 AM)
I thought Wifey was hinting at some kind of slash fiction story?  Did I get that wrong?

No, it was a regeneration thought. Not that I think he will be the next Doctor but that the tabloids will have a field day with that particular casting.

Slash fiction, though? The Doctor and The Brigadier...surely? happy.gif
Raven
As there's no unfounded gossip thread in Girl's Talk, I though I'd post this here: Billie Piper sparks pregnancy rumours.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 24 2008, 05:58 PM)
As there's no unfounded gossip thread in Girl's Talk, I though I'd post this here: Billie Piper sparks pregnancy rumours.

Been done.
Raven
I should have known - and searched Zoe's posts before posting!
Drifter
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 24 2008, 06:09 PM)
I should have known - and searched Zoe's posts before posting!

Heh, welcome to the club!
Withnail
Sorry if this has been linked here before but it is superb. The Ten Doctors comic strip.

http://www.shipsinker.com/wordpress/2007/0...doctors-page-1/
Svein
QUOTE (Withnail @ Apr 25 2008, 08:39 AM)
Sorry if this has been linked here before but it is superb. The Ten Doctors comic strip.

http://www.shipsinker.com/wordpress/2007/0...doctors-page-1/

Jeez... this is a LONG old adventure... Entertaining though!
maian
Christ, have they got Joel Schumacher directing this episode? I've seen Quality Street boxes with a more tasteful colour palette.
curtinparloe
Yeah, it's not exactly muted colours, was it.

I quite liked the episode, but they weren't very Sontaran-y, and saying as much in the dialogue didn't make it OK. Also, The doctor was dithering a bit too much at the end - they shouldn't have dragged out that silly gas thing. Looking forward to next week's immensely though.
maian
Yeah, apart from the awful look of the episode, I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but it was entertaining enough and I look forward to the second half.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Apr 26 2008, 07:33 PM)
The doctor was dithering a bit too much at the end - they shouldn't have dragged out that silly gas thing.

Yeah - why didn't they just smash the window?
maian
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 26 2008, 11:10 PM)
Yeah - why didn't they just smash the window?

He's not made of money, he'd have to pay for the damage. And it's not as if he could just run off since they know who he is. That, or it saves time in writing the first 5 minutes of the second part.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 26 2008, 11:25 PM)
He's not made of money, he'd have to pay for the damage. And it's not as if he could just run off since they know who he is. That, or it saves time in writing the first 5 minutes of the second part.

Well, it *is* Raynor... wink.gif
maian
''How we going to get him out? Oh, I'll use this brick I didn't see last week. Sorry, sonic brick.''
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 26 2008, 11:27 PM)
''How we going to get him out? Oh, I'll use this brick I didn't see last week. Sorry, sonic brick.''

Sonic bisexual brick.
princess_shrek
Just watched it on i-Player.
I hope Bernard Cribbins survives.
GundamGuy_UK
Come on now, it's not like the cliffhangers in the older shows were any less obvious.

"Oh no, we're surrounded!"
Credits roll. Next episode
"No wait, it's okay. We can run away in this direction"

I thought it was a good episode.
Wife Of Rolex
An enjoyable episode, but the sense of peril seemed to be slightly stetched out a bit further than it could naturally go. Next week's looks action packed though.

The clone in the gloop looked brilliantly creepy. With the exception of the opening episode, the creatures in this series so far have been great in terms of harking back to old skool Who creepiness. This is the most I've felt like a kid watching it in my bedroom back in the 80s again since Doctor Who came back. Series 4 is shaping up to be the best one so far.

Catherine Tate, too, is turning out to be a great companion to The Doctor. I had misgivings when she was announced for series 4 but having calmed her character down from The Runaway Bride, she's more rounded and bringing something refreshing to the role of companion.
Drifter
Wasnt that Mick from The Young Ones as the chief Sontaran? He was always known for his small stature which was picked up in the episode...I could be wrong though.
lola
According to IMDB it was anyway.
curtinparloe
What? That was Mike Thecoolperson?
Kick in the Head
Little Dave Hedgehog indeed.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I bet Tennant nearly fainted with excitement when he realised he had the scene in the 'super-kids' class room.

He'll never get a finer opportunity to do his 'Ooooh, it's a XXXXXX!' shtick.
Starscream`s Ghost
Ryan feared 'Doctor Who' role

He's 65? Blimey.
Svein
Anyone notice that the music was very reminiscent of 70s Who... It was like they were really trying to get that feel!
mousespider
Nicholas Courtney interview from the Radio Times
Svein
QUOTE (mousespider @ Apr 29 2008, 03:50 AM)
Nicholas Courtney interview from the Radio Times

Ain't he great...

I must admit that I really wanted to see the Brig in the last episode.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Svein @ Apr 29 2008, 10:24 AM)
Ain't he great...

I must admit that I really wanted to see the Brig in the last episode.

They could even have stuck a portrait of him in the UNIT base. Put there as a tribute upon his retirement, perhaps?
Raven
The DVD schedule has been updated:

K-9 Tales - box set comprising The Invisible Enemy and K-9 plus Sarah Jane Smith spin-off story K-9 And Company: June 16

The Brain of Morbius: July 21

The Trial of a Time Lord box set: August 18

Four To Doomsday: September 15

The War Machines: October 13

Battlefield: November 17

In addition, Revenge of the Slitheen and Eye of the Gorgon, both from spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures, are slated to be released on one DVD on January 12, 2009.

Please note, however, that the information has been gathered from various sources and the dates could change.

Pilfered from Outpost Gallifrey.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ May 1 2008, 01:24 PM)
The Trial of a Time Lord box set: August 18

Yes!!
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 1 2008, 01:24 PM)
Yes!!

You really are a strange one Glenn!

On the other hand, if that was an ironic "Yes!!", I would have gone for Four to Doomsday - Yay!! tongue.gif

I'm looking forward to The War Machines, I've never seen it and I've taken quite a liking to the Hartnell and Throughton stories.
Svein
I had that as a box set on VHS in the states... Doctor Who and Brian Blessed... does it get much better?
Starscream`s Ghost
I like The Trial of a Time Lord. It's Six, after all.

Four to Doomsday's cack, though.

Hartnell and Troughton stories are ace, but I need more Pertwee, especially the Delgado Master stuff.
Raven
I remember trying to watch it through on Video a few years ago, and never even made it to the Terror of the Vervoids(?) which I remembered as being quite good.

I'll bet this will be a limited edition release again, like The Key to Time last year . . .
Svein
Damn... I meant to get the Key of Time... Totally slipped my mind...

I had quite the collection stateside... most of the Davidson era, plus the E-Space series, TOATL, and the entire McCoy/Ace collection.
Drifter
Have you seen the advert for the Dalek helmet/voice changer thingymebob? I know a 30yr old who's promised to parade around in one whilst he's doing his weekend shopping in Asda's....
Raven
Davis explains Rose Cameo.
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ May 3 2008, 01:26 PM)
I defintely enjoyed tonight's episode, including a real WTF moment at the end...

Next weeks is looking EXTREMELY interesting...

Anyone notice Rose on the TARDIS screen?
Almond_Adam
It wasn't that subtle. I was trying to roll a cigarette at the time, and saw it out of the corner of my eye. still knew what I saw.

She was on screen long enough to mouth the word "Doctor"

Next weeks will be good. Definatley!
princess_shrek
I wish they'd linked Bernard Cribbins' current character to his previous one. I'm loving his character smile.gif

I thought tonight's ep was good, but not brilliant. There were moments of brilliance, and I howled with laughter at "are you my mummy?"

I think next week's looks intriguing. Looking forward to it.
Svein
QUOTE (princess_shrek @ May 3 2008, 07:40 PM)
I wish they'd linked Bernard Cribbins' current character to his previous one.  I'm loving his character smile.gif

I thought tonight's ep was good, but not brilliant.  There were moments of brilliance, and I howled with laughter at "are you my mummy?"

I think next week's looks intriguing.  Looking forward to it.

I do wonder if his daughter is Susan's mother?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Svein @ May 3 2008, 07:12 PM)
I defintely enjoyed tonight's episode

Me too. It was good to 1. hear Lethbridge-Stewart mentioned, and 2. see UNIT finally get to kick some serious arse, after nearly 40 years of getting their asses handed to them. wink.gif
Wife Of Rolex
A good finish to a two parter. I think Helen Raynor has redeemed herself after Daleks In Manhatten last year, which was a bit poor in my opinion. Nice little nods here and there, especially the 'Are you my mummy?' line. Although I do think it's about time Donna stopped getting teary. That's 4 episodes in a row now. Isn't it about time she enjoyed her TARDIS travels with the Doctor?

That was a bit too unsubtle for me. Particularly as everyone would've easily spotted it. I like something like that to only be visable to the keenly observant so they can enjoy a geeky moment.

I'm going to be a slightly pissy fan for a moment (just to be finicky) and say The Doctor's daughter should really call him 'father' and not 'dad'.
Raven
I enjoyed last night's episode, and the story as a whole, but I'm not entirely sure why.

I think that for the second year running Raynor has shown that she can write, but that she just can't write science fiction, or at least original science fiction.

If you look at both stories they have too many clichés (short alien kicks patronising soldier’s arse, the not really bad guy switches places with the hero when the ultimate sacrifice is called for etc) and they also contain some pretty poor science (burning the planet's atmosphere? Just how does that work without killing everyone?).

Despite these gripes though, it still managed to remain entertaining, and I think a large part of that was down to the Sontarans, and Christopher Ryan in particular, simply for being very believable characters.

I didn't have a problem with the blink-and-you'd-miss-it appearance by Rose, it's just set up for later in the series and it didn't really distract from what was happening.

There were some other good performances, and some good one-liners - the afore mentioned "Are you my mummy?" being the best self reference I think they've had in new Who, but the "belittle" line was pretty good as well.

So, overall, it was pretty enjoyable, but as I said at the top, I’m still not entirely sure why.
Drifter
It was a good episode, not so sure about Martha and her GI Jane switch but I too loved the little one liners in there. Bernard Cribbins is fantastic as the grandfather, glad he has been given more airtime.

Im just looking more to the Moffat stories, whilst I like the series so far, there really hasnt been a stand out episode for me yet but Im sure its coming and its looking as if the latter half of this season is going to be better than the first half again.
curtinparloe
I defintely enjoyed tonight's episode, including a real WTF moment at the end...

Next weeks is looking EXTREMELY interesting...

I missed it, but saw the name in the credits and said "Oh, for fuck's sake."

They'll have to do something really special for that narrative thread to not be shit.
NiteFall
I have to say I rather enjoyed that. Yes some of it was horribly cliched but overall good fun. I especially liked the use of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier Valiant, rather than just having the Doctor magic away the fog with his handy do-anything plot device Sonic Screwdriver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.