Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who IV
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
Everlong
Lordy me..

Flying through the vortex?

Pics from OG of course..
Flame7581
Oh I can't wait!!!
Withnail
The Silence In The Library

Plot Synopsis

One hundred years ago, the universe's greatest library was sealed off, leaving only one warning: "Count the shadows". But now, the shadows are moving again.
As Russell T Davies's Bafta Award-winning time-travelling drama continues, the Doctor and Donna must uncover the terrible truth behind the Nodes and the horrifying Data Ghost, to find the library's secret. With guest stars Alex Kingston, Colin Salmon and Steve Pemberton.

Written by Stephen Moffat.

Airs on Saturday 31st May at 7:00pm.

Major Spoiler: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tvandfilm/tvland/

Pics: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/

Looks like a good one.
Raven
Gaiman to write new Who?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ May 28 2008, 01:35 PM)

If anyone hears a loud explosion, don't worry. It's just my head exploding with squee.
Withnail
QUOTE (Raven @ May 28 2008, 12:35 PM)

excl.gif

*spurts
Everlong
I hear he's gooooood
maian
Buh...chuh...zuh...

Words, not, good, enough...
Raven
Imagines a Doctor Who/Neverwhere cross over - there could be some mileage in that!
Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ May 28 2008, 01:35 PM)

Oh yes... now that's what I'm talking about!

Now... if they could get Pratchet on board as well, I'd love to see a Who/Good Omens crossover!
Drifter
QUOTE (Svein @ May 29 2008, 09:48 AM)
Oh yes...  now that's what I'm talking about!

Now...  if they could get Pratchet on board as well, I'd love to see a Who/Good Omens crossover!

Wishful thinking, feel sorry for the poor guy, of all the afflictions to get he gets that one!
Raven
Piper: Rose is "a bit of a chav".
Starscream`s Ghost
Yeah, the best of the series so far, tonight. Moffat, you've done it again.
Zoe
I thought it was ruddy marvelous.

The difference in Moffat's writing, when compared to anyone else writing this show, is so marked.

The dialogue, plotting and characterisation are always above average, but it's his imagination that really stands out.

I'm so excited about him taking the reigns of the series, even more than I am about next week's conclusion.

Why isn't writing of this quality the standard? And where did he learn to write such bloody good SF? It's a long way from 'Coupling'.

Creepy, clever, compelling and unpredictable, worth waiting half a series for - I look forward to the day when this is the norm. It's almost a shame David won't be the one to benefit from Moffat's guiding hand. He's a wonderful actor and a really fantastic Doctor, RTD has only occasionally done him justice (the same can be said for Ecclestone). Whoever the next regeneration is will be in for a treat.
Starscream`s Ghost
The only criticism I have, and it's only slight, would be that 'Hey, who turned out the lights' Scary Spaceman is a little similar to 'Are you my mummy?' Empty Child.

But that's just nitpicking. It's the best episode in the series by a light year.
Zoe
I loved that. Especially when combined with Donna's repeated line. The automated nature of both, in chorus, was genius.
Starscream`s Ghost
Don't get me wrong, it was great. I just thought it was similar.
Zoe
Similar, schmiliar.
Starscream`s Ghost
I do hope that when Moffat takes over, he stops having 'Next Time...' trails during two parters. I know we all know that the Doctor will escape whatever situation he's in during a cliffhanger, but it would be nice not to see it straight away, if that makes sense.
Everlong
Steven Moffat IS doctor who.

It's only him and Paul Cornell who can really grab you like that, they can entertain and In Moffat's case, scare the shit out of you at the same time. The statues last series made me jump a little, but the deaths in last nights episode were seriously chilling! That girl repeating 'Ice cream' over and over again was creepy, as was the realisation that the pilot had The Vashta Nerada in his suit.

I'm hoping Tennant stays on for series 5, just so we get one series of a Tennant-Moffat combo.
Drifter
Now that was truly worth waiting for, a fantastic episode, a very good supporting cast too - Colin Salmon was on top form.

The old fashioned telephone in the girl's house reminded me of Life on Mars and River Song intrigues me, are we looking at a future companion that the Doctor hasnt met?

Love the mystery of it all, cant wait to see next weeks episode.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jun 1 2008, 02:25 AM)
I do hope that when Moffat takes over, he stops having 'Next Time...' trails during two parters. I know we all know that the Doctor will escape whatever situation he's in during a cliffhanger, but it would be nice not to see it straight away, if that makes sense.

There wasn't one last night, nor at the end of the first Sonataran episode, so I assume that policy is already in place. Which can only be a good thing.
princess_shrek
Great episode; and I love the idea that through River Song there's a whole new dimension yet to explore.
lola
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 1 2008, 11:52 AM)
There wasn't one last night, nor at the end of the first Sonataran episode, so I assume that policy is already in place. Which can only be a good thing.

There was a trailer right after though.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (lola @ Jun 1 2008, 01:05 PM)
There was a trailer right after though.

Ah, fair enough. I didn't stick around after the credits. Bad form, BBC. Bad form.
Zoe
I stopped the video as soon as the trail began. I am taking the Doctor's advice about spoilers.

On the subject of writers, and Moffat and Cornell being the only writers currently doing the series justice.

There are plenty of young writers who can write good science fiction stories, James Moran showed that with 'The Fires of Pompeii'. What he has, that's different from someone like Moffat, is a confident witty streak and an understanding of and willingness to play with the conventions of traditional SF and horror films and TV. That's what really shone out of that episode for me, and to a lesser extent his (admittedly messy) funny, horror spoof 'Severence'. He clearly has a great affection for horror films in general and particularly British ones, he's not wholly successful in creating a balanced blend of gore and laughs, but he hits both occasionally.

Young writers have fun with the genre, and those that really love it will play with those classic elements to make great new examples. 'The Fires of Pompeii' felt very much like a classic 'Who' episode (perhaps more than any other since its revival), but also felt bang up to date and had bags of humour.

It's frustrating that over and over again people with no talent for writing SF are commissioned to write episodes. Moran proved that there are young writers out there who can do it ten times better. I really hope Moffat goes down the route of finding and developing young writing talent, rather than falling back on the likes of Greenhorn and Raynor.

They are not good enough to write this bloody show.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 1 2008, 02:10 PM)
They are not good enough to write this bloody show.

Which is, in part, what led to the 'classic' series' downfall; writers who clearly had no talent for writing SF being thrust into it. More experienced writers like Robert Holmes weren't used as much, and it wasn't until Cartmel took over that better writers were developed.

Personally, I think Moffat will use a combination of younger writers with promise, and more experienced writers *cough*Gaiman*cough*. RTD seems to have a penchant for giving his friends jobs, and sticking by them when they clearly have no talent for writing about the subject. Raynor and Roberts in particular, I'm looking at you here.
Wife Of Rolex
Great episode last night and suitably creepy. Can't wait for next week.

Though, on the 'next time...' subject, this week's cliff hanger has actually already been spoilt. While the 'next time...' trailer didn't show anything of Donna's situation in next week's episode, her inclusion in the end of series preview trailer - shown on BBC1 last week - does remove a great deal of doubt that it's the end of her. rolleyes.gif

Otherwise, the power of the cliffhanger would've lasted more than the mere 2 seconds it managed to have before I put 2&2 together.
Serafina_Pekkala
I really enjoyed this episode and it's my favourite so far. The premise and plot was inventive and well-paced. Also, great performances all round even though the whole Dr/River Song (not Tam) aspect didn't convince me just yet. But so much good stuff (which reminded me of other stuff like Mines of Moria or Miranda from Serenity but without being pinchy or cheap).

The concept of 'ghosting' was fucking great scifi especially the stilted and looping bits of dialogue on repetition. The little girl and psychologist aspect was flucking fantastic too.

I just wish Mr Tennant didn't have to open his eyelids to full capacity at all times.
mousespider
Just finished watching it, and it was fucking fantastic. The best of the series, which is what Moffat's episodes have been for the last four years.

Moffat must really love scaring kids. First any statue could be a weeping angel, and now any shadow could be a vashna narada.

And am I the only one who thought the diary River Song had was the 500 year diary used in the Troughton era?
Svein
I am damn glad that Moffat was not my dad growing up... He is a sick, sick man, and a bloody genius at that.

By far the best episode of the series so far...
empathy-with-beast
On Radio 7 at midnight on Sundays they play Doctor Who DVD commentaries. It's one of the strangest and most pointless things I've ever heard.
Raven
To be fair, they are meant to be listened to whilst you are watching the episode (the same commentary can be played over the Friday repeat by pressing your red button!).

Some of the can be interesting, some of them not, it generally depends who is doing them.

Steven Moffat and Noel Clarke did a great one for The Girl in the Fireplace, they basically spent the whole time speculating about whether the Doctor understands women, and just how much shit he would have been in with Rose had Renette actually joined the TARDIS crew.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Watched it last night on BBC 3 and it was blooming great. So much better than the usual .

And the poor dim girl dying made me cry. By the time I finished watching Field Of Dreams later on I'd cried all the water out of my body.
Zoe
He's going out with his daughter?!

This is a continuity nightmare!

Imagine if your Dad and your boyfriend were played the Doctor. Imagine if you were her kid, and they got married, and your Stepdad and your Grandad were the Doctor. Amazing.
PrincessKate
That pleases me, she used to date her co-star from where the heart is who was fit and now he's back on the market again, presumeably...

But why does making friends with someone's child imply you want to get into their pants?
Zoe
Everything nice a man does is a ploy to get into your pants.

Do not let them fool you.
PrincessKate
In these paranoid times if it was anyone other than Tennant people would be crying 'paedophile' and getting their flaming torches ready.
Zoe
She is only 23 years old. Despicable!

He should not be dating any woman younger than, say, 27?

Ahem.

I probably should have posted this in the 'I wuv Tennant' thread, rather than here. Oh well.
PrincessKate
You're a mod, surely there's some magic at your disposal to move it?
Zoe
It is Doctor Who related. It's just that anything relating to Tennant personally quickly descends to pants. I should know better.

Better story, and picture, which proves conclusively they're going out together by showing them standing quite near each other.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 3 2008, 12:33 PM)
She is only 23 years old. Despicable!

He should not be dating any woman younger than, say, 27?

Ahem.

I probably should have posted this in the 'I wuv Tennant' thread, rather than here. Oh well.

Perhaps. She isn't Eric Rachel Wood uncomfortably-young as she has a 6 year old son. Not sure how that works out in the whole scheme of things. And she is like boring version of Claire Bennett despite her scifi pedigree. Her mum is the BBC Trillian from HHGTG. In the words of Tony Wonder: "it's fucked up!"

Tennant clearly has a type. Pity I don't fancy him. My 'Pocket Blonde' fanciers of choice is Pasdar.

PS - I wonder if she likes spiders , curds and whey. Or Silence of the Lambs. smile.gif
Everlong
Damn you David Tennant, damn you and you fittie-pulling ways sad.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jun 3 2008, 06:01 PM)
Perhaps.

I was only joking about her age. It's not a significant gap, besides he looks about 12.

It was in reference to the paedo-pitchforks comment.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 3 2008, 07:31 PM)
I was only joking about her age. It's not a significant gap, besides he looks about 12.

We are in agreement.
mousespider
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 3 2008, 03:31 PM)
besides he looks about 12.

Now what does that say about you Zoe? wink.gif
Zoe
I like young boys?

It's OK because girls can't be paedos, phew!
mousespider
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 3 2008, 09:23 PM)
I like young boys?

It's OK because girls can't be paedos, phew!

Damn this sexist society!

First they tell me I can't have sex with kids. Next they'll be telling me I can't have sex with my own kids.
KevinandNick
Nick's other half happened to mention that DT going out with PD's daughter is technically incest! tongue.gif

Kev W
Withnail
So he's going out with the actress that plays his daughter in the TV show who is also the real life daughter of the actor that previously played his character? wacko.gif

Does this mean Sophia Myles is now available? wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.