Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Hot Fuzz
Pages: 1, 2
Gluben
So...we've had Shaun of the Dead, a rom zom com. And we've had Hot Fuzz, an affectionate nod to police action thriller films. What can we expect from the third and final film in the sacred Pegg/Frost/Wright trilogy?

I predict that sci-fi will be our genre ripe for "spoofing" this time around, considering that it is such a huge genre, as big as horror and action. What we can assume so far is:

The film will probably be out in 2010.
The Cornetto flavour will be mint, or mint choc chip.
Someone will try jumping over a fence in order to take a shortcut, asking "What's the matter? Never taken a shortcut before?".
There will be much bloodshed.
Edgar Wright will direct and co-write.
Simon Pegg will star in the main role and co-write.
Nick Frost will probably be the sidekick and add to the script in rehearsals, being the first to be read it.
Edgar Wright will have at least one cameo in the film.
The names of the characters will tell us something about their role in the film (e.g. Ed = undead, or Tim Messenger).
The stars will be a mix of comedy stars of recent years and stars of the big screen.
Given that Martin Freeman, Bill Nighy and Joe Cornish have appeared in SOTD and HF, they may well appear again.
There will be many callbacks and call forwards throughout the film (e.g. "You've got red on you" and "The greater good").
There will be more spoofs and references to other works of the chosen genre than you can shake several sticks at.
Fans from this very messageboard may be lucky enough to have cameos in the film (I'm certainly going to try!).

I have a feeling that the film will attempt to do something similar to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, though hopefully without making it too similar to the zombie-fication in SOTD.
AusChick
QUOTE (Gluben @ Jan 6 2008, 11:47 PM)
So...we've had Shaun of the Dead, a rom zom com. And we've had Hot Fuzz, an affectionate nod to police action thriller films. What can we expect from the third and final film in the sacred Pegg/Frost/Wright trilogy?

You weren't one of the interviewers on their press tour were you?

You've done zombies, you've done cops, what's next?

I have my own theory about what I think the 3rd movie in the Blood & Ice-Cream trilogy will be - but I'm keeping hush on it for now.
Omniscia
QUOTE (AusChick @ Jan 6 2008, 11:08 PM)
I have my own theory about what I think the 3rd movie in the Blood & Ice-Cream trilogy will be - but I'm keeping hush on it for now.

Cornetto Western, by any chance?
AusChick
hehe
Nice one.

The Good, the bad and the mint-choc-chip.

I like it!
Raven
QUOTE (Gluben @ Jan 6 2008, 11:47 PM)

Bukaki* (tis true, Simon said so . . . ).

*Don't go looking that up at work folks!
empathy-with-beast
I believe the accepted spelling is bukkake.
Raven
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 7 2008, 10:21 AM)

Damn Urban Dictionary!

*Shakes fist at the God of Spelling*
dolfyn
I'd like to see their take on a Jane Austin-style film. Although, I don't know that they're really fans of the genre, & that is one of their rules. smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
AusChick
Not sure I can see Nick in a big bodice-type dress
dolfyn
^ Bahahaha! laugh.gif Classic.

But I could totally see Simon in one. wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
logger
Sword & sorcery. Entirely cast with pestering fans.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 7 2008, 04:59 AM)
Cornetto Western, by any chance?

That'd make sense actually.
That way, Edgar could slap A Fistful of Fingers on the dvd's 2nd disc.

I'm thinking maybe a war movie... plenty of blood to be shed there. But how would they crowbar a cornetto into it?
Jon 79
double post!
Gluben
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Jan 7 2008, 11:50 AM)
I'd like to see their take on a Jane Austin-style film. Although, I don't know that they're really fans of the genre, & that is one of their rules.  smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif

As nice as thought as that is, Simon has said that he isn't doing a period piece, and Edgar has said that he won't be doing another western. War? Well it's a big genre, but would it work with a pub and a Cornetto involved?

And no, I wasn't the interviewer. Just a little obsessive.
empathy-with-beast
Superhero? Gangster?
dolfyn
Oooh! I like the idea of Simon as a superhero. cool.gif *daydreams of Simon in tights & cape* happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
Kick in the Head
Based on their work in Spaced, having dallied with horror and action, the other genre that informed their references more than anything else was sci-fi. Nothing set in space or too far into the future, but I can imagine them playing around with time-travel, cloning, new technology; y'know, something in a Bill and Ted or Weird Science fashion.
Peronel
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 8 2008, 09:15 AM)
Based on their work in Spaced, having dallied with horror and action, the other genre that informed their references more than anything else was sci-fi. Nothing set in space or too far into the future, but I can imagine them playing around with time-travel, cloning, new technology; y'know, something in a Bill and Ted or Weird Science fashion.

I concur.
AusChick
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Jan 7 2008, 09:42 PM)
*daydreams of Simon in tights & cape*  happy.gif

No Capes! [/Edna Moles]
dolfyn
QUOTE (AusChick @ Jan 8 2008, 01:44 PM)
No Capes! [/Edna Moles]

Yes, that did cross my mind when I posted my daydream comment. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
KevinandNick
We can all only guess as to what Edgar & Simon are going to pull out of the hat next... smile.gif

Kev W
AusChick
^ but we can bet there'll be a role in it for you and Nick, Kev!

After all, it just wouldn't be a Blood & Ice-cream movie without you biggrin.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 7 2008, 09:41 AM)
Bukaki* (tis true, Simon said so . . . ).

*Don't go looking that up at work folks!

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 7 2008, 10:21 AM)

Hah. Spelt it wrong Raven. Look who's got egg on his face now!
Jubei
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Jan 8 2008, 10:20 AM)
We can all only guess as to what Edgar & Simon are going to pull out of the hat next... smile.gif

Kev W

The Butcher Brothers™, Simon and Egdars Danny Trejo and Cheech Marin.
Llama
Musical.
Sostie
Here's an idea. Call me crazy, but maybe they might write a film that is not a homage any specific genre whatsoever!

It seems a bit odd pigeonholing filmakers on the basis of two films. Why should everything they do be a parody/homage. (though i personally wouldn't call Shaun or Fuzz parodies)

Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker did disaster movies with Airplane, war movies with Top Secret and then? Ruthless People. Not a parody of anything but still a great ZAZ film. (Ok, so they did Cop shows after with Naked Gun).

Having said that, I'd happily welcome another Wright/Pegg spin on a genre. A road-trip movie perhaps.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 8 2008, 12:08 PM)
Here's an idea.  Call me crazy, but maybe they might write a film that is not a homage any specific genre whatsoever!

It seems a bit odd pigeonholing filmakers on the basis of two films.  Why should everything they do be a parody/homage. (though i personally wouldn't call Shaun or Fuzz parodies)

Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker did disaster movies with Airplane, war movies with Top Secret and then?  Ruthless People.  Not a parody of anything but still a great ZAZ  film. (Ok, so they did Cop shows after with Naked Gun).

Having said that, I'd happily welcome another Wright/Pegg spin on a genre.  A road-trip movie perhaps.

I didn't realise Ruthless People was a ZAZ film?! Excellent. That's a film that I need to watch again as it has some classic lines in it. Also, from interviews and what have you it seems to me like a USA road movie is on the cards, but who really knows. Time will tell and all that jazz.
maian
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jan 8 2008, 12:10 PM)
I didn't realise Ruthless People was a ZAZ film?! Excellent.  That's a film that I need to watch again as it has some classic lines in it.  Also, from interviews and what have you it seems to me like a USA road movie is on the cards, but who really knows.  Time will tell and all that jazz.

'Paul' is there USA road movie, isn't it? I don't think Edgar is involved with that one.

I remember Simon joking that he and Nick would like to do a really serious film like Nil By Mouth next. Even if it was a joke, that'd be interesting to see.
Sostie
I'd like to see the re-emergence of the briefly popular 80's genre, "Yuppie In Peril"
Zoe
I'd like to see them remake 'Clockwise' with Pegg in the Cleese role.
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 8 2008, 10:33 AM)
Hah.  Spelt it wrong Raven.  Look who's got egg on his face now!

And I really hope it is egg . . . ph34r.gif
curtinparloe
I'm still waiting for Guacamole Window.
dolfyn
^ laugh.gif

Kev, you'll obviously be in the know about it long before any of us are. Lucky thing! rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 8 2008, 11:08 PM)
Here's an idea.  Call me crazy, but maybe they might write a film that is not a homage any specific genre whatsoever!
It seems a bit odd pigeonholing filmakers on the basis of two films.  Why should everything they do be a parody/homage. (though i personally wouldn't call Shaun or Fuzz parodies)
Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker did disaster movies with Airplane, war movies with Top Secret and then?  Ruthless People.  Not a parody of anything but still a great ZAZ  film. (Ok, so they did Cop shows after with Naked Gun).
Having said that, I'd happily welcome another Wright/Pegg spin on a genre.  A road-trip movie perhaps.

I think they probably will do another homage to a particular genre, because that would round out the "trilogy" idea. After all, it was Simon & Edgar who first started calling it a trilogy. So it'd be reasonable to assume they'd be following along the same lines. As for the actual genre, it's still anybody's guess (except Simon & Edgar's, obviously!). cool.gif It's fun to speculate, though. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
AusChick
Yeah I'm sure they will make plenty of non-genre movies in their future.
But the way they have spoken about this "trilogy" would suggest at least one more genre film before that.
KevinandNick
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Jan 8 2008, 09:23 PM)
Kev, you'll obviously be in the know about it long before any of us are. Lucky thing!  rolleyes.gif
Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

Gen - Nick & I would crawl across a flaming pit of broken glass & used syringes for Edgar & Simon, as they're such lovely guys.

Like the man from Del Monte, Nick & I will always say "yes". smile.gif

Kev W
AusChick
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Jan 9 2008, 10:33 AM)
Gen - Nick & I would crawl across a flaming pit of broken glass & used syringes for Edgar & Simon, as they're such lovely guys.

Let's hope you shall never be called upon to perform such a feat!
dolfyn
^ Let's hope the title of this next film isn't Crawling Across Flaming Pits of Broken Glass & Used Syringes! tongue.gif

Yes, they are lovely guys, aren't they? And that's why we loves 'em. wub.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
skkflip
I might be way off base here, but according to the subtitles on Hot Fuzz, it said the colors of the Cornetto wrappers represented something with the movie (strawberry/red representing blood for SOTD, vanilla/blue representing the police for Hot Fuzz) so I'm thinking maybe the mint/green is gonna represent weed and they will make a stoner movie (Cheech and Chong, Half Baked, Dazed and Confused)....I don't know just an idea. lol cool.gif
SkipToTheEnd
Green's kind of an alien colour...
dolfyn
QUOTE (skkflip @ Jan 14 2008, 12:19 AM)
....so I'm thinking maybe the mint/green is gonna represent weed and they will make a stoner movie (Cheech and Chong, Half Baked, Dazed and Confused)....I don't know just an idea. lol cool.gif

Oh Lord, I hope not! crazy4.gif

Anyway, there's also brown for chocolate. biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wacko.gif
skkflip
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Jan 13 2008, 07:49 AM)
Oh Lord, I hope not!  crazy4.gif

Anyway, there's also brown for chocolate.  biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wacko.gif

i don't know, i think they could pull off a good stoner movie, using their brilliant wit instead of just making jokes about being hungry lol
skkflip
QUOTE (SkipToTheEnd @ Jan 13 2008, 07:36 AM)
Green's kind of an alien colour...

yeah i didnt really think about that, i'm used to ufo reports about white aliens with big ol eyes, but i forgot how a lot of sci fi movies deal with "little green men"
AusChick
QUOTE (skkflip @ Jan 13 2008, 01:19 PM)
I might be way off base here, but according to the subtitles on Hot Fuzz, it said the colors of the Cornetto wrappers represented something with the movie (strawberry/red representing blood for SOTD, vanilla/blue representing the police for Hot Fuzz) so I'm thinking maybe the mint/green is gonna represent weed and they will make a stoner movie (Cheech and Chong, Half Baked, Dazed and Confused)....I don't know just an idea. lol cool.gif

Cake Flush! Now a feature length film.

"Cake's not here man"
melzilla
QUOTE (AusChick @ Jan 13 2008, 09:13 PM)
Cake Flush! Now a feature length film.

"Cake's not here man"

laugh.gif
I'd watch.
Gluben
What I'm curious to see is how the relationship between Simon and Nick will work this time, and what the theme will be. SOTD was about turning 30 and sorting your life out, and HF was finding your right environment and how to switch off and just enjoy yourself.

Shaun was really a slacker and bright enough when it came to confronting Ed or his stepdad, but not when talking to Liz. Ed was even more of a slacker and careless.

Nicholas Angel was the opposite of Shaun in that he was dedicated to his job and took everything too seriously. Danny Butterman was more naive than Ed and looked up to Nicholas as a role model of sorts.

How else could the dynamic work while still being original? I suppose the third film could be about making yourself known and finding your identity, because I think that's what a lot of sci-fi likes to be - the everyday man making his way to fame. Shaun didn't quite achieve this because he wasn't perfect, but he didn't need to be.
Gluben
P.S. I would like to see Mark Heap and Katy Carmichael in the third film, thus making sure that every main cast member from Spaced appeared in the trilogy...
dolfyn
^ Yeah, I like that idea! happy.gif I hope they do that. It would tie up the trilogy in a neat little bow. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
Jon 79
QUOTE (Gluben @ Feb 1 2008, 01:33 AM)
P.S. I would like to see Mark Heap and Katy Carmichael in the third film, thus making sure that every main cast member from Spaced appeared in the trilogy...

Yes... and Ada. smile.gif
Gluben
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Feb 1 2008, 10:05 AM)
Yes...  and Ada.  smile.gif

Wasn't Ada meant to be in Shaun of the Dead, eating a zombie?

Anyway, I did have a thought on Cornettos, and apparently there are 6 flavours: strawberry, classico (vanilla), mint, chocolate, whippy, and choco disc. So they could do more films (maybe a second trilogy) if they wanted to! According to Wikipedia, previous flavours have included lemon and rum 'n' raisin, and there's always the Cornetto Soft brands as well...!

So why strawberry, vanilla and mint? Obviously vanilla is the original flavour, but are strawberry and mint the most common after that, or the most popular? I guess they chose the genre over the ice cream, and the flavours had to match!
CazBag
QUOTE (Gluben @ Feb 1 2008, 01:33 AM)

It would be really good to see them in it. Mark was supposed to be in Hot Fuzz initially but couldn't be in it so Kevin Eldon took on the role instead. I heard from somewhere it was because of a back problem, not sure whether that's right or not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.