Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Demons
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Raven
Philip Glenister is to return to ITV one in a story based on Dracula. The show will feature Glenister as a vampire hunter, who is passing on his knowledge to his teenage godson.

The program will also star Mackenzie Crook as a "particularly nasty vampire".

You can read more about it here: 'Dracula' brings Glenister to back to ITV.

Sounds like ITV may be taking inspiration from the Beeb's version of Jekyll.

(the title of this tread will change when a name for the series has been announced!).
sleeping_pirate
Oooh!
Wife Of Rolex
Ade
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 14 2008, 01:38 PM)
The program will also star Mackenzie Crook as a "particularly nasty vampire".

Interesting choice. He's always had a bit of a ghoulish look about him. Even so, I can't help but chuckle at the thought of Gareth the Bloodsucker.

"Stop! Move away... from the vam-pi-are! Stop! Move away... from the vam-pi-are!"
Wife Of Rolex
According to Philip Glenister himself, his character in The Last Helsing is not only American but also quite camp.

Don't say you haven't been warned.
Drifter
I can see it now...."Oi Dracula, I couldn't give a tart's furry cup if you feel the urge to bite someones neck. Don't ever waltz into my kingdom acting king of the jungle."
Raven
Just a quick bump and name change, to let people know that this starts at 7.20pm on ITV1 tomorrow.
angle
Looks interesting
Drifter
Ive heard the accent, its MancYank. I dont know, they should have just left him English and be done with it.
Footbacon
Apparently I missed this. But there's this thing. And you don't argue with the Brooker. It's not the done thing.

Was it as truly rubbish as he says?
Starscream`s Ghost
I liked it for what it was, hokum. And it has potential.
Footbacon
From Brooker's review I got the idea that it would be no better than the CGI laden Primeval. But I'll give it a go myself and see what I think.
empathy-with-beast
Do you know what I never understand about works that reference Dracula? They always have to do this bit where they go "Oh yes, Bram Stoker" stole the story from your great-grandfather, Van Helsing" or some such, until one feels one is waste deep in a postmodern sludge. What would be so hard about setting it in the world of Dracula where Van Helsing was real or even that managed not to explicitly reference Dracula at all...

There was a bit where he fought breakdancing teddybears and the cockney from the Mighty Boosh at the same time.

Also the idea of numbering all the different types of monsters is a ticket to unevocative town. McKenzie Crook's alright though.
Sostie
McKenzie Crook was great. Glenister's accent bad and pointless (obviously an attempt to appeal to a US market). But more ridiculous was Ruby being ashamed of living that lovely Art Deco apartment building!

Primevel set the benchmark for "you know it's bad but it's still quite entertaing sci-fi". Not sure if Demons wll reach that level.
Raven
I must admit to only half watching it, as I was getting my tea at the time, but to my mind it is too close to Buffy in both concept and structure, but without any of the zest or panache.

And is that it for McKenzie Crook? I thought he was going to be the bad guy throughout the series (this habit of having half-decent names in the first episode of a new show, and then dropping them, could get annoying if it continues. . .).

I will probably watch again next week, but I'm not sure how long I will be watching after that if it doesn't improve.
Wife Of Rolex
Thought it was alright. Silliness throughout but it's not taking itself too seriously so it works. I agree with Raven, Buffy immediately sprung to mind but that's not such a bad influence.

Good start. Hope the rest of the series - there's only another 5 episodes - at least matches the opener if not improves.

QUOTE (Drifter @ Jan 2 2009, 10:48 PM) *
Ive heard the accent, its MancYank. I dont know, they should have just left him English and be done with it.

Apparently they did say he could do an English accent but he actually chose to keep it American. I guess he liked it as a challenge. He's from London and not Manchester so I don't know why there's a hint of Manc in there. It's not the best but it's not so terrible.
Drifter
I half watched it, it did bore me to be honest but I will endeavor to stick with it and give it another go next week but I think it lacks something, something original.
Zoe
Biggest Buffy rip-off eva.

I'll probably still watch it though.

Name's Rupert, hang out in a library, have a reluctant teenage chosen one to look after.
angle
Definate overtones of Buffy and Primeval as others have said, and i didnt expect McKenzie Crook to die quite so soon but i expect they will revive him somehow in a later episode.
The American accent made me cringe but i kinda got used to it after a bit, i'll keep watching for now
Raven
Well, that wasn't anything to go out of your way to watch - I don't think I've seen another show where all the main characters have so little charisma.
Wife Of Rolex
I forgot it existed after episode 2. Did they even broadcast the last 4 episodes? Would anyone know?
Raven
Yes they did, I watched them, sadly . . .

It could have been quite a good series, but it was too serious for its own good and the characters, with the possible exception of Ruby, were a bunch of unlikeable arseholes (especially Luke).

I'll be surprised if this gets the nod for a second series.
fatseff1234
Trailers for this just screamed of shit, the curse is still ringing in my ears to be honest.

It looked like shit so I was clever and avoided immediately.

Stick with Supernatural ITV, although that seems to be getting a bit... at the moment.
angle
Tried my best to like it, stuck with it for a few episodes which only resulted in me wanting to spoon out my eyes
Sostie
It made me pine for Primevel
Raven
I'm sure I've said this before, but I quite like Primeval.
Sostie
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 10 2009, 03:14 PM) *
I'm sure I've said this before, but I quite like Primeval.

ssshhhh! so do i
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 10 2009, 03:43 PM) *
ssshhhh! so do i

Do you have it on DVD as well?
Sostie
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 10 2009, 03:45 PM) *
Do you have it on DVD as well?

NO! SICKO!
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 10 2009, 03:49 PM) *
NO! SICKO!

But they were cheap, in a sale . . .
angle
^that little exchange above is what makes this forum a very amusing place. laugh.gif

(ok, swap above for previous page)
Raven
'Demons' to be axed? - Hard to see how they will carry on without Glenister on board . . .
Baz
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 26 2009, 01:31 PM) *
'Demons' to be axed? - Hard to see how they will carry on without Glenister on board . . .

I don't think it's going to be missed, if you want a decent show with vampires and other worldly things then watch Being Human on BBC Three.
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Feb 26 2009, 02:09 PM) *
I don't think it's going to be missed . . .

No, I don't think it will.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.