Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Boat That Rocked
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Cast Watch
Pages: 1, 2
CazBag
Variety announcement

Full details from The Earth Times

IMDb page

UK release date currently scheduled for 3rd April 2009.
melzilla
Ooh, interesting cast! Thankee Cazbag!
Omniscia
I wonder what they mean by "ironic, intelligent and cruelly funny"..?
frostitute
Thank you, Caz! I've put it on my site as well.
AusChick
Sounds like an amazing cast!
And I'm curious to see what a NON-rom-com by Curtis will be like (I think the last non-rom-com thing I saw of his was Blackadder!!)
Omniscia
I caught The Girl in the Cafe on HBO a while back, and it didn't strike me as much of a rom-com. More of a rom-dram with some light moments thrown in. Granted, I missed the first third of the film...
Jon 79
Ralph Brown and Chris O'Dowd! smile.gif
Anni
That is a rather excellent cast... Looking forward to this!
thirtyhelens
Superb cast, sounds like a winner. Thanks for the tip, Cazza biggrin.gif
CazBag
Yeah, it is an impressive line up. Should be a good one. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of Chris O'Dowd too.
dolfyn
QUOTE (CazBag @ Mar 5 2008, 04:39 AM)
Variety announcement

Full details from The Earth Times

IMDb page

UK release date currently scheduled for 3rd April 2009.

Ace. cool.gif

Caz, you always have your finger on the pulse. You rock! biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
AusChick
I think I need to make myself a calendar dedicated to all the movies coming out in the next year or two that I'm really looking forward to seeing
CazBag
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Mar 5 2008, 11:31 AM)
Caz, you always have your finger on the pulse. You rock!  biggrin.gif

Glad you like the updates! We have Google to thank for most of them. What would life be like without Google?!

QUOTE (AusChick @ Mar 5 2008, 11:41 AM)
I think I need to make myself a calendar dedicated to all the movies coming out in the next year or two that I'm really looking forward to seeing

There are loads! There must be some that have gone off the radar a bit too, will have a look. It may be thread bump time in Castwatch. I'll have a look.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (CazBag @ Mar 5 2008, 11:51 AM)
What would life be like without Google?!

Fuller, probably.
melzilla
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 5 2008, 01:09 PM)
Fuller, probably.

...and less Googly.
dolfyn
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 6 2008, 12:09 AM)
Fuller, probably.

When I think of all the knitting & gardening I'm missing out on.... wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
You'll be sorry come the apocalypse when we need jumpers and tomatoes.

wink.gif
dolfyn
Nah, that's what looting is for. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
In that case, remember; loot a tin opener first.
dolfyn
It's second on my "What to do during an apocalypse" list. First on the list is my Simon Pegg collection. biggrin.gif Gotta have priorities, y'know. wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
Sostie
Is Bill Nighy becoming the British equivalent of Kevin Bacon?

You can do Six Degrees easy with him. In this film alone he's worked with at least 3 of cast already.

More Nughy is never a bad thing.
CazBag
Filming will begin end of April in Dorset.
CazBag
New posters from Empire:

frostitute
Trailer is also shown when you go see Quantum of Solace. Hasn't appeared on the web yet, though
Jessopjessopjessop
Lovely posters.
logger
They're like the people from that olden days band.
AusChick
The Australian release date for this film is 7th of May 2009 (same as the Australian release for Star Trek)
widowspider
Very cool posters!
Ade
I agree on the postery goodness. Nick also looks a bit Les Dawson with those mutton chops.
angle
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 15 2008, 07:40 PM) *
I agree on the postery goodness. Nick also looks a bit Les Dawson with those mutton chops.

with a hint of Frank Carson
frostitute

More here

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/boat_that_r.../pictures/8.php
AusChick
I LOVE that picture!
Thanks Thomas.
Raven
Nick Frost, with added Merlin eyes!
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 19 2008, 01:55 PM) *
Nick Frost, with added Merlin eyes!

His eyes scare me. laugh.gif
frostitute
Thanks to Nick for the heads up cool.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnQc3lO4JDs

Trailer!
widowspider
QUOTE (frostitute @ Dec 4 2008, 03:07 PM) *
Thanks to Nick for the heads up cool.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnQc3lO4JDs

Trailer!

Looks awesome!
AusChick
I'm really looking forward to this film.
sweetbutinsane
Heh, it looks pretty cool.
AusChick
Australian Premiere for The Boat That Rocked:

7:30pm - Monday 30th March
Village Cinemas Crown
Melbourne

In attendance will be Nick Frost, Bill Nighy and Rhys Darby.
Wife Of Rolex
Longer trailer...
sleeping_pirate
I saw the trailer for this in the cinema a couple of weeks ago, looks really good.
Raven
Pictures from The Boat That Rocked premiere.
grumpygit
From the Radio Times (hope it's ok to post).

AusChick
^ Thanks for posting that. cool.gif
I'm off to the Melbourne premiere tomorrow night so I may soon have some photos of my own to post.
Jon 79
Short Empire interview with Nick.
Wife Of Rolex
Saw it this afternoon (first screening of the day. I like to get in early), and personally think this is possibly Richard Curtis's best film.

Here's the thing. You shouldn't actually go into this film thinking it's a comedy. Or indeed a rom-com. If you go in with those expectations you'll completely miss the point. I'll say now that before the film came on there was a trailer for Sasha Baron Cohen's new film, Bruno. I actually heartily laughed more times in those 2 minutes than through the whole of The Boat That Rocked, but don't take that to be a bad thing.

This is an altogether different use of comedy. It's subtle and largely underplayed, though there are some more obvious gags peppered about the place. But this is not a comedy film in the usual tradition. This is more a film that has some chuckles here and there and it's an approach that works.

The love interest is actually the bond of the DJs and their love for music. Most of the film is simply a window looking into this small band of people enjoying life and their time on the boat. It does, for most of the film, seem like you're not watching much more than them sharing banter and trying to avoid a close down by government officials. But there's a sudden turn of events in the film that has you realising you really care about these people. And even the boat itself. I must admit to having tears in my eyes for almost all the last 20 minutes of the film, set off by a classic 60s song that has never previously caused such emotion in me.

It's actually very ordinary, but that belies the sophisticated script. And if you think the character name of "Twatt" isn't very sophisticated, you've missed something very clever. And very silly.

The only gripe I have, and I really do only have one, is that the closing credits have Duffy singing over them. This alone would rile me, but to make matters worse she's doing a cover of one of my favourite songs. She literally butchers it with her duck tongued wobbly vocals. I would've left but the credits are peppered with little titbits and there's a teeny extra bit at the end. I won't say what song it is as the original appears in the film and sounds glorious. It's ironic as it really is the fly in the ointment that is a great soundtrack.
AusChick
Here are some photos my hubby took at the Melbourne premiere of The Boat That Rocked

sleeping_pirate
Amazing pictures!

Can't wait to see this film now.
Wife Of Rolex
Great photos.

QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Apr 2 2009, 01:34 PM) *
Amazing pictures!

Can't wait to see this film now.

You'll cry. I gurantee it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.