Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 3 2009, 02:31 PM) *
Secondly: did anyone see Al Murray's new sketch show on Friday. Fuck me, I thought I was transported back to the 70's.

I quite liked some of it!
Sostie
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 3 2009, 03:06 PM) *

I caught most of the second half. The gay Nazi sketch was terrible.
Raven
Secondly: did anyone see Al Murray's new sketch show on Friday. Fuck me, I thought I was transported back to the 70's.

I turned over as soon as it started. Al Murray is the only man on the planet who can make me pine for the glory days of Jim Davidson.
Sostie
It was like Duncan Norvel never happened
Shack
Poor old Al Murray.

I'm not sure why I don't like him. Perhaps it's his odd face. He seems lovely being himself, but there's something about the characters he plays that I don't like.
Llama
QUOTE (Shack @ Mar 3 2009, 04:56 PM) *
He seems lovely being himself, but there's something about the characters he plays that I don't like.

That's the problem I have with him as well. Sadly I've seen very little of him as himself, seems even when he's on chat shows he comes on as a the pub landlord.
logger
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 3 2009, 03:06 PM) *

The rude dad and the footballer sketches made me laugh but most of it was pretty poor.
gulfcoast_highwayman
His 'Discovery Channel' show 'Al Murray's Road To Berlin' was very good. He traced the Allied forces route across Europe as they swept the Nazi mention into oblivion.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 3 2009, 03:13 PM) *
I caught most of the second half. The gay Nazi sketch was terrible.

I though that it was so ridiculous it must have been making fun of stuff like 'Allo Allo', and 'Are You Being Served'. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. I can't remember much else, but Philip and I chuckled a couple of times. Then made passionate ginger love.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 3 2009, 05:54 PM) *
I can't remember much else, but Philip and I chuckled a couple of times. Then made passionate ginger love.

Mediocre sketch comedy would seem like a distant memory after the latter.

Only Fry and Laurie are able to do a brilliant gay Nazi sketch - Major Donaldson with Hugh looking dashing in his Hugo Boss uniform.

That it should happen here and NOW!
KevinandNick
It would appear that Mr Murray only really has one character in him - he's done pretty well out of it for the last few years, but it must come as a crashing blow to him when he read the general opinion of his new show.

I personally thought that it was terrible.

Kev W
Kick in the Head
Heston's Victorian Feast sounded like it had the potential to fill the void left by the brilliant Supersizers Go..., but was completely marred by endless recapping before and after advert breaks (a common malady of commercial channels), a weird selection of guests, and tedious waffly yattering to camera (a common malady found on any channel). It's a shame, as the processes involved in creating the food were very interesting, and the end results often astonishing. But do we really need to see Heston out on the street handing out beef head broth to vox pop punters? Or watch him drink a lot of absinthe in France to see if he'll reach a hallucinatory state? Quite frankly, no.
blackcherry
The recaps and vox pop were pretty annoying but I really liked Heston's Feast. I love how pleased he looked when his crazy Alice in Wonderland drink worked, it's really nice to see someone get so much joy out of doing something like that. I think I may have a bit of a crush on him now, I find genuine enthusiasm to be one of the most attractive qualities a person can have. It was a strange mix of guests but I'm glad it wasn't just foody types. I really want some of that jelly and ice cream now!
Raven
Oh God no . . .
Sostie
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 4 2009, 01:50 PM) *

...it didnít tail off at the end, the standard of the scripts didnít deteriorate...

I agree. It was shit from beginning to end.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Mar 4 2009, 12:20 PM) *
had the potential to fill the void left by the brilliant Supersizers Go...

Except for the fact that Blumenthal looks like the hills have eyes and has weirdly awful teeth -fixed by Ceaucescu's dentist or something. He doth not fill my void - that's Giles job. Or even Sue. Arf.

I love Supersizers and miss them enormously. The day I see Coren in a toga and Sue trying on Roman make-up will be a dream come true for me. I feel it will happen one day.

Enthusiasm is one thing and so is prowess in the kitchen he is okay I suppose. The best of the new crop. But I'm fed up of ballsy chefs in general. It's boring now. Masterchef blokes don't count - one of them isn't even a chef.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 4 2009, 02:16 PM) *
Masterchef blokes don't count - one of them isn't even a chef.

Ingredients Expert and Full-Time Love Machine Gregg Wallace...
blackcherry
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Mar 4 2009, 02:18 PM) *
Ingredients Expert and Full-Time Love Machine Gregg Wallace...

Stop making me laugh at work! I just had to explain to my colleagues why I suddenly spat water all over my keyboard.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 4 2009, 01:50 PM) *

'Classic' now seems to mean 'anything from the past that ran for more than one season'.

The only time Birds Of A Feather ever made me laugh was when French & Saunders ripped the piss out it.

And it's responsible for the fame of the monstrosity that is Leslie Joseph.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 4 2009, 02:51 PM) *
And it's responsible for the fame of the monstrosity that is Leslie Joseph.

I heard that her stint on Celebrity CDWM was comedy gold.
Is this inaccurate?
Shack
Sad to hear of all the ITV Yorkshire job losses this morning. I always to get a ripple of excitement when I drove past in case I saw Greengrass or Richard Whiteley wandering outside. I think Countdown, Calender and Emmerdale production will stay on site but a lot of Northern telly people will be out of work. It seems a bit of a shame but hopefully the BBC Manchester move will act as a counterweight in the long run.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I was born within five minutes walk of YTV studios on Kirkstall Road, and have lived near it for most of my life. I'm really upset about this news.

They'll probably stick some more bloody students flats on the site, making my bus journeys even more stressful.
Starscream`s Ghost
Granada does it again.
Everlong
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Mar 2 2009, 12:18 PM) *
Very much enjoyed the last episode of Being Human. I particularly liked its understated finale. It wasn't trying to be fancy, just finish the story. Though, the end line sets it up perfectly to lead straight in to the second series which will be the first thing I'll be looking forward to watching in 2010.

Firstly: Being Human - fantastic. Can't wait for the next series

Agree with both of you. Best thing on BBC3 by far, though admittedly I hope it's on BBC1 next time round. Show Doctor Who and Being human in a double bill on a saturday night (obviously they'd have to be later due to some scenes in Being Human).
Zoe
They've just finished filming the next series of Supersizers.

One of the episodes is Rome.

I do not jest, I just turn Sefi's dreams into fact.

(and heard Sue Perkins talking about it on Jonathan Ross' radio show a couple of weeks ago)
melzilla
^ Yaaaaay.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Everlong @ Mar 4 2009, 08:50 PM) *
Best thing on BBC3 by far, though admittedly I hope it's on BBC1 next time round.
If they put it on BBC1, I'd worry it'd change. I really loved it, great series. Poor Nina.
Sostie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Mar 5 2009, 10:48 AM) *
If they put it on BBC1, I'd worry it'd change. I really loved it, great series. Poor Nina.

I'm not sure how the Nina as a werewolf thing will work in the next series. I really thought they were going to discover her in the bath, with slashed wrists, having decided she couldn't handle being awerewolf.

I've have a sneaking suspicion Owen might be used as some sort of Renfield character, working for the as yet not seen "Doctor"
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 4 2009, 09:08 PM) *

(and heard Sue Perkins talking about it on Jonathan Ross' radio show a couple of weeks ago)

I should be ashamed about how much this pleases me but I am not. Goody gumdrops. I did about Roman British food and fashion especially this which I reckon they will talk about.

This and tanned Sawyer sat in bed in his white boxies reading books (in those glasses) makes me believe in the world. Someone up there likes me.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 5 2009, 11:03 AM) *
I've have a sneaking suspicion Owen might be used as some sort of Renfield character, working for the as yet not seen "Doctor"
Nice!
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 4 2009, 09:08 PM) *

Best news I've heard today.

Also, The Krypton Factor final tonight. Yes, they got rid of the theme tune and the obstacle course may be twice as tough but half as exciting, but the set with all the coloured lighting is just nice to look at. Who cares who wins when it looks like they're all inside an 80s computer?
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Mar 5 2009, 02:13 PM) *
Best news I've heard today.

Also, The Krypton Factor final tonight. Yes, they got rid of the theme tune and the obstacle course may be twice as tough but half as exciting, but the set with all the coloured lighting is just nice to look at. Who cares who wins when it looks like they're all inside an 80s computer?

Same.
Why does everyone in the new Krypton Factor look like they've been in Stasis since the end of the last series?
Very early '90's
sleeping_pirate
I'm watching series 1 of The Inbetweeners for the zillionth time.
logger
Red Riding was pretty good but I don't know how that drunk cameraman keeps getting tv work.
Zoe
Loved Red Riding. I may even read GB84 next, which has been sat on my shelf next to Staziland for about two years.

It had a wonderful sense of place and time, and the performances and characterisation were marvellous.

Roll on next week and Paddy.

I'm loving the many times watched repeats of the Inbetweeners too. It scares me that they're all adult males in their twenties, it scares my flatmate (who knows them) to see them in school uniform. It's the most truthful and hilarious comedy about sixth form ever - I really hope there's a second series.
ipse dixit
^ My flatmate knows the tall one from East 15.
Sostie
QUOTE (logger @ Mar 5 2009, 11:16 PM) *
Red Riding was pretty good but I don't know how that drunk cameraman keeps getting tv work.

I was saving it for the weekend soI could watch it on Virgin Replay. Excelpt it doesn't seem to be on there. Balls.

Caught up with the 2 latest episodes of Life On Mars US. I'm quite gutted this is being cancelled. After some initial reservations Harvey Keitel (Gene) and Michael Imperioli (Ray) have really made the characters their own, and I'm slowly falling for Gretchen Mol's as Annie. It's become not just another re-make (despite using plots from the UK series in earlier episodes) but a fine piece of TV drama in its own right.

Don't suppose anyone is watching the second seaosn of Chuck?
dandan
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 6 2009, 09:54 AM) *
and I'm slowly falling for Gretchen Mol

i fell for her when she was bettie page...

i've downloaded, but not watched yet... you enjoying it?
PrincessKate
I was saving it for the weekend soI could watch it on Virgin Replay. Excelpt it doesn't seem to be on there. Balls.

Balls, indeed as I wanted to do the same. Then again, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares from last week didn't materialise til early this week so there's still hope.

And I swear I spoke to Henry Lloyd-Hughes (Donovan from The Inbetweeners)'s mum at work last week.

That's the extent of starspotting you get.
Sostie
QUOTE (dandan @ Mar 6 2009, 10:00 AM) *
i've downloaded, but not watched yet... you enjoying it?

I am. Still pretty light hearted, and the peripheral characters seem to be getting more airtime. Of course they are still stringing out the whole Chuck/Sarah non-relationship. Adam Baldwin just gets better and better.
logger

Just had a look and it doesn't appear to be repeated this week. You can watch it online, and I've already found a torrent claiming to be it.
dandan
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 6 2009, 10:10 AM) *
I am. Still pretty light hearted, and the peripheral characters seem to be getting more airtime. Of course they are still stringing out the whole Chuck/Sarah non-relationship. Adam Baldwin just gets better and better.

super. they should bring back rachel bilson (who played 'lou' the sandwich shop girl) as she was lovely. although, that's not to say that i don't like miss strahovski...
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 6 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Adam Baldwin just gets better and better.

Oh my Adam. If he got an Emmy nomination, he'd really like that.

Hehe.

I have yet to see Red Riding because 4on-demand makes you fucking pay. DO you have to pay for SKins or other offering from the 4? No. Just this. How vexing of them.
maian

It's on 4oD, which I'm downloading it from as I type.

Edit: That's weird, Sefi, my 4oD says it's free.
Shack
I can't seem to find a re-run of Red Riding anywhere in the schedules. I think I need Sky Plus. Or something.

Free Agents

Watched my first episode last night and thought it was well written, an honest interpretation of real-life being a bit mental and some very funny sections throughout. Stephen Mangan is a top turn and Sharon Horgan was just tops. Topz. Tops.
maian
Just watching Red Riding 1974 and it's everything I could have hoped for as an adaptation. The casting, directing and writing really capture the feel of Peace's prose but Toni Grisoni has clearly put his own stamp on it and made the whole thing more streamlined. Good to see that they haven't cleaned up the language or toned down the sex and violence much, either.

I'm gutted that they haven't adapted 1977, though, since I'd have loved to have seen Eddie Marsan as the lead. He's pretty much bang on as Jack Whitehead.
maian
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 7 2009, 08:06 PM) *
Just watching Red Riding 1974 and it's everything I could have hoped for as an adaptation. The casting, directing and writing really capture the feel of Peace's prose but Toni Grisoni has clearly put his own stamp on it and made the whole thing more streamlined. Good to see that they haven't cleaned up the language or toned down the sex and violence much, either.

I'm gutted that they haven't adapted 1977, though, since I'd have loved to have seen Eddie Marsan as the lead. He's pretty much bang on as Jack Whitehead.

Some more thoughts:

I'm really impressed with Grisoni's adaptation of the novel. I was so gripped that it took me a good hour and ten minutes to realise that he had amalgamated several characters in order to make the narrative more manageable. I am a little worried about how well some of these changes will affect the rest of the films, though, as one of them completely alters the relationships between several of the characters and their motivations. Should be interesting to see what happens with it, though.
Drifter

According to Virgin 1 they plan on showing it sometime during Spring, so who the hell really knows when it will be shown.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 6 2009, 11:06 AM) *
It's on 4oD, which I'm downloading it from as I type.

Edit: That's weird, Sefi, my 4oD says it's free.

Will check again.
Shack
Horne and Corden

If we weren't reviewing it next week on the radio, I wouldn't watch the second episode.

Barely any jokes, thinly developed characters and just not funny.

Also, Matthew Horne reminds me of Jessop (and I'm not sure why) and James Corden seems like a funny man who can deliver a line, it's just none of the ones he had were any good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.