Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Shack @ Mar 11 2009, 05:20 PM) *
Horne and Corden

If we weren't reviewing it next week on the radio, I wouldn't watch the second episode.

Barely any jokes, thinly developed characters and just not funny.

Also, Matthew Horne reminds me of Jessop (and I'm not sure why) and James Corden seems like a funny man who can deliver a line, it's just none of the ones he had were any good.

As much as I like them both, I was already wary of them doing a sketch show together when it was first mooted because of their stint on Big Mouth last year. The ET sketches they did at the start of each show just didn't work and sadly a lot of what was on the first show last night followed the same pattern.

They were and probably always will be more suited to acting in well crafted comedy or straight dramas rather than full tilt comedy shows.
Jimmay
I heard Charlie Brooker on Kerrang radio this morning taking about Newswipe which starts on 25th March on BBCFOUR and will be like screenwipe but about news, obviously. It's aimed at people who aren't really up to date with current affairs and will concentrate on the way news is being made into a new form of entertainment. Link
Sostie
Horne and Corden

If we weren't reviewing it next week on the radio, I wouldn't watch the second episode.

It was so very bad. Other than the burger van sketch it didn't raise a smile. Doing a sketch in front of an audience the way they did reminded me of the old Saturday Live shows.
Jessopjessopjessop
Horne and Corden
Also, Matthew Horne reminds me of Jessop (and I'm not sure why) and James Corden seems like a funny man who can deliver a line, it's just none of the ones he had were any good.

It was very poor indeed. I've been told about the Horne-alike before believe it or not, and I agree about Corden - good performer, rubbish sketch writer. You're fat, WE GET IT!

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Mar 12 2009, 09:37 AM) *
Newswipe

Good news. Ahem.
Raven
I don't know the name of it, but did anyone see the program on BBC Four last night about the history of TV car programs?

It was quite interesting, but I gather that "Current Top Gear is the Bestest Thing Ever!"
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 12 2009, 12:10 PM) *
I don't know the name of it, but did anyone see the program on BBC Four last night about the history of TV car programs?

It was quite interesting, but I gather that "Current Top Gear is the Bestest Thing Ever!"

I caught some of that. Top gear is a particular good show, though. To both rebrand an old show and make one that produces individual editions that are watchable again and again and again is no mean feat. It's almost the perfect TV show. Not completely, but almost.
Atara
I do love Top gear. Aston Martins aside, I amnot that big on cars, but I can watch that show over and over and never get bored. The Hammond/May/Clarkson team is unbeatable, too, they work so well together.
logger
The second Red Riding wasn't as good as last weeks but at least the camera man had sobered up a bit. David Morrissey with a 'tache looks like Mark Heap in Green Wing.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 7 2009, 08:06 PM) *
Just watching Red Riding 1974 and it's everything I could have hoped for as an adaptation. The casting, directing and writing really capture the feel of Peace's prose but Toni Grisoni has clearly put his own stamp on it and made the whole thing more streamlined. Good to see that they haven't cleaned up the language or toned down the sex and violence much, either.

It was good overall but flawed, drunk cameraman aside. It looked right with grim decor and smoking everywhere. Plus, the Northern soul soundtrack seemed fitting. All the performances were excellent. Rebecca Hall's accent was far more convincing than Garfield's but his was only wobbly at first, I thought. Nice cameos from Peter Mullan, Daniel Mays and Cara Seymour. But ole Sean Bean stole the show with the right mix of winky mateyness, sinister manipulation and a natty wardrobe worthy of Gareth Hunt. Plus, that rat-faced copper with the 'tache and the other one with the fat head were a pair of scary bastards.

I look forward to seeing more even though I sometimes think the basic premise of this drama is silly, theatrical and implausable. I understand the book makes far more sense. I didn't buy the ending at all - the Geoff Tipps gets his gun in the curry house and pops a cap in several asses for a start. Hmmm

And the reveal of the murder was unconvincing "Oh it's just a foible of mine - being a serial killer, tha' nos lad! Have a pint!". I don't care how many shopping centres you build in seventies Yorkshire - it doesn't make you a Bond villain style super criminal above the law. You'd have to be the King of Saudi Arabia to get away with creepy-assed child murder and everyone know about it and not do anything. So this is my problem with the whole thing - I know people who worked in the police during this era. It just doesn't ring true from what I know m'self.
Maybe the books make more sense.
Shack
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Everything I want in a comedy show. Lots of laughs and a comedian I've admired for years. Tops.

Free Agents

The more I watch this series, the more I love it. Stephen Mangan is just terrific. It's well acted, beautifully (and realistically) written and, most importantly, funny.
Chapman Baxter
Oh dear, that new Stewart Lee programme was a bit shit, wasn't it?
Shack
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Mar 16 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Wah?

I thought it was a very promising start and I laughed out loud about 6-7 times.
Chapman Baxter
I thought it was horribly smug, recycled a few old jokes (like the Garth Marenghi gag about having written more books than he's read), and had several sections that were quite painfully unfunny (i.e. the bit about rappers). But each to their own!
PrincessKate
I liked that it featured Munnery, Eldon and Law.
"The 75 year old man died. Horribly.
melzilla
QUOTE (Shack @ Mar 16 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Everything I want in a comedy show. Lots of laughs and a comedian I've admired for years. Tops.

QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Mar 16 2009, 10:43 PM) *

I only caught the last 15 mins. I do love Stewart Lee but I have to say I was a little disappointed. It amused me but I think he can do better. The thing with Armando Iannucci afterwards was good, though.

QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Mar 16 2009, 11:04 PM) *
I liked that it featured Munnery, Eldon and Law.

Yes. This is good.
Zoe
Stewart Lee's show was brilliant. I was confused about why Bridget said they were all going on holiday for the six weeks of its airing. I feared it might be because of the quality of the show, but it's clearly down to his rivalry with the So Solid Crew.

It was a perfect vehicle for him, and really unusual for BBC2 to let stand-up do the talking. The sketches provided perfect intervals and the observation about Radio 4 comedy had me in hysterics.

The famous man looked at the red cup.
Llama
Free Agents

The more I watch this series, the more I love it.

Me too. I wasn't convinced after I'd watched the first episode, but I ended up coming back to watch the second, and then watched about three episodes in a row one day and am now up to speed.
logger
The Stewart Lee thing was alright, not really sure his style of meandering stand up works as well in a half hour slot with some of the repetition becoming boring. I'm also not a big fan of intelligent people feeling superior by slagging off something that is obviously dumb rubbish.

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 15 2009, 01:02 AM) *
And the reveal of the murder was unconvincing "Oh it's just a foible of mine - being a serial killer, tha' nos lad! Have a pint!". I don't care how many shopping centres you build in seventies Yorkshire - it doesn't make you a Bond villain style super criminal above the law. You'd have to be the King of Saudi Arabia to get away with creepy-assed child murder and everyone know about it and not do anything. So this is my problem with the whole thing - I know people who worked in the police during this era. It just doesn't ring true from what I know m'self. Maybe the books make more sense.

Forget about it, it's Yorkshire.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Mar 16 2009, 10:52 PM) *
painfully unfunny (i.e. the bit about rappers).

That made me laugh a couple of times.
Sostie

Sadly, fell asleep waiting to watch it. Will try and see it on Replay tonight.

Free Agents

The more I watch this series, the more I love it. Stephen Mangan is just terrific. It's well acted, beautifully (and realistically) written and, most importantly, funny.

I missed the last one, but it has been excellent do far.
Jessopjessopjessop
I liked the Stewart Lee show. I laughed at everything I was supposed to, especially the bits that only clever people know about.
angle
enjoyed the Stewart Lee show,some bits were stretched out a bit far for comedy effect especially in a half hour show but i like his deadpan style.
Did anyone see the extra bit afterward on the red button with ianucci conducting the mock interview, to me that was funnier than the show itself.

Free Agents is shaping up well,enjoying it so far.

Missing 'Being Human' already
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (angle @ Mar 17 2009, 10:56 AM) *
enjoyed the Stewart Lee show,some bits were stretched out a bit far for comedy effect especially in a half hour show but i like his deadpan style.

His live show has a lot of that in it; testing the boundaries of timing and the audience's tolerance. My main reservation was the half-hour format. It's a little too short to try and build peaks and troughs like that. The interview afterward was brilliant though. I could happily watch them doing that for a whole series.
angle
I think i'd probably enjoy him more in a live two hour show, not had the chance, but i'd want to be near the front to appreciate the facial gestures, the Moyles 'some of my friends asked me what my book was about' bit was funny, perfect non-reaction.
maian
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 15 2009, 01:02 AM) *
And the reveal of the murder was unconvincing "Oh it's just a foible of mine - being a serial killer, tha' nos lad! Have a pint!". I don't care how many shopping centres you build in seventies Yorkshire - it doesn't make you a Bond villain style super criminal above the law. You'd have to be the King of Saudi Arabia to get away with creepy-assed child murder and everyone know about it and not do anything. So this is my problem with the whole thing - I know people who worked in the police during this era. It just doesn't ring true from what I know m'self. Maybe the books make more sense.

It's a fair criticism, though i think that it may be misguided. I can't say anymore because it may ruin the plots of the other films. It's a very different ending from the novel.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 17 2009, 12:39 PM) *
I think that it may be misguided.

Well - that's just my thoughts - misguided or not. I am coming to this afresh and I found it implausible. And it wasn't what David Peace wrote at all. From my understanding reading up on the differences between the two, the Sean Bean character was a combination of 4 different characters. One is a construction foreman who is the child murderer. Another is a gangster called Box who has the relationship with and eventually murders Paula and blackmails the politician. The third is John Dawson who is also killed Box. And then there is the developer building the shopping centre
No wonder it was bloody confusing.

If I watch the rest, it will be for Paddy, David and Maxine - not for the new adaption.
Kick in the Head
Well, I thought Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle was simply brilliant. I understand about the repetition, but it is skillfully done. When you actually analyse his jokes out of context, they aren't especially clever, but his timing and delivery is so perfect and the construction of the show so well-handled, he really does perform stand-up like a genuine art form. And the presence of Putner and Eldon in the sketches just took me back to the gleeful days of TMWRNJ.
Zoe
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 17 2009, 10:47 AM) *
I liked the Stewart Lee show. I laughed at everything I was supposed to, especially the bits that only clever people know about.

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Mar 17 2009, 03:51 PM) *
Well, I thought Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle was simply brilliant. I understand about the repetition, but it is skillfully done. When you actually analyse his jokes out of context, they aren't especially clever, but his timing and delivery is so perfect and the construction of the show so well-handled, he really does perform stand-up like a genuine art form. And the presence of Putner and Eldon in the sketches just took me back to the gleeful days of TMWRNJ.

We're right.

Don't make me Ang Lee, you wouldn't like me when I'm Ang Lee

That goes on for days, and is one of the best bits of stand-up I've ever seen. And I've seen him do that live at least three times, that's piling on the repetition, jenga jokes.
logger
Stewart Lee is one of the few stand up comedians I like but it's a bit of an uncomfortable fit in a half hour show.
Zoe
I was just in fits of giggles throughout, so I can't ask for more really.

I'd go so far as to say brilliant too. Though his Dan Brown stuff is not quite as funny as Bridget Christie doing stand-up as him.

"I don't care if you laugh, I could buy all your asses"
Zoe
The Apprentice is back

Hmmm, I wonder where they showed the first episode to the press and held the press conference?
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 17 2009, 04:35 PM) *
Though his Dan Brown stuff is not quite as funny as Bridget Christie doing stand-up as him.

I did think that. I remember doing a big lol at him/her describing someone as having a "muscular top lip".
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 17 2009, 04:35 PM) *

That was very good. You can imagine them both at home (in Hackney, yeah!), just bitching about Dan Brown while polishing off a pretty good red wine.
maian
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 17 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Well - that's just my thoughts - misguided or not. I am coming to this afresh and I found it implausible. And it wasn't what David Peace wrote at all. From my understanding reading up on the differences between the two, the Sean Bean character was a combination of 4 different characters. One is a construction foreman who is the child murderer. Another is a gangster called Box who has the relationship with and eventually murders Paula and blackmails the politician. The third is John Dawson who is also killed Box. And then there is the developer building the shopping centre
No wonder it was bloody confusing.

If I watch the rest, it will be for Paddy, David and Maxine - not for the new adaption.

In my haste I seem to have worded my reply somewhat harsher than I had intended, sorry. My point was meant to be that you opinions about the events may be premature, particularly in regards to Bean's character as I think, though I may be wrong, that it may turn out that he wasn't the killer after all, as it is in the book. In 1974, Eddie discovers the real killer but sees that he has already been killed by someone else, the identity of whom isn't revealed until another book. This would be frustrating if the film was done this way, so I imagine that they have made it so that the identity will be revealed in either 1980 or 1983.
Shack
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 17 2009, 04:28 PM) *
We're right.

I thought we were.

I'd forgotten I'd seen "Dan Brown" at Tedstock. Memory officially jogged.
PrincessKate
I'm not watching this documentary about the 18 Pregnant Schoolgirls, but as I was changing channels, I noticed that in church they were singing a choral version of Radiohead's Creep.
Sostie
Fantastic.

Red Riding - 1980
Quality stuff. It's like the good old days of TV drama - GBH, Our Friends In The North - are back. (as you can probably tell, I don't often commit to Brit TV drama)
Zoe
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Mar 17 2009, 03:51 PM) *
TMWRNJ.

Have you heard Richard's podcast this week?

"It reminded me of a show from the nineties, but they'd taken the funniest person out of it."
melzilla
Orangutan Diaries may be the cutest programme ever.

Also, forgot to mention, did anyone else see the new Yellowstone series last week? It was absolutely stunning. (I could ever forgive the cheesy narration.)
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (melzilla @ Mar 18 2009, 09:03 PM) *
Orangutan Diaries may be the cutest programme ever.

Cute but very sad.

I saw Yellowstone two nights ago. These days it's easy to be blasť about the quality of nature film-making, but that was really stunning. The narration was a little melodramatic at times, but I tuned out and watched amazing things like the snow-diving fox and avalanche-riding otters.
monkeyman
Yellowstonw was indeed awesome. That snow diving fox was brilliant., ost of it was in fact. And it was nice to see a documentary on Yellowstone that isn't all "SUPER VOLCANO WILL KILL US".
melzilla
I had no idea about just how extreme and unique an environment it is. It was really amazing.
maian

Stand-up = good, sketches = hit and miss. The 'Teats That Cried Tears' section was very good but the gags about Jeremy Clarkson felt very antiquated and didn't need the silly graphic, whilst the Dan Brown sketch felt like a way of jazzing up a not particularly good punchline. Still, the bits that worked were very good and I imagine that a whole series of just stand-up would have seemed needlessly self-indulgent, so this is a happy medium.

The highlights for me would be the William Blake punchline and his theory that a man who had read all the books published now would be stupider than a man who had not read anything at all.
logger
Just when you thought Red Riding couldn't get any more bleak. I had suspected that it was heading that way, I knew the reverend was dodgy as soon as I saw him. I was glad that David Morrissey grew a conscience at the end, kind of stopped it from totally crushing my soul.
Shack
Free Agents

A fine end to the series last night. Two emotional screw up trade mental blows. I quite liked the aspect that they both knew they were screw ups last night and I am hopeful of another series.
Celticstar
i'm really enjoying dollhouse at mo. It's paint by numbers but good fun. smile.gif
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Celticstar @ Mar 21 2009, 02:11 PM) *
i'm really enjoying dollhouse at mo. It's paint by numbers but good fun. smile.gif

I haven't seen any of that yet. I want to see what it's like. We can't get a freeview signal here or even channel 5! We'll be losing the other 4 soon in a few weeks since we're in one of the first areas to switch to digital. Rupert Murdoch must be laughing.
PrincessKate
Shitty Comedy Cuts #3493:
In The Cartridge Family episode of The Simpsons the cut out the penultimate shot of Marge twirling the gun on her finger and slipping it into her purse instead of binning it.
Celticstar
QUOTE (Lazlo Woodbine @ Mar 21 2009, 03:30 PM) *
I haven't seen any of that yet. I want to see what it's like. We can't get a freeview signal here or even channel 5! We'll be losing the other 4 soon in a few weeks since we're in one of the first areas to switch to digital. Rupert Murdoch must be laughing.

I just download it and watch it on pc, i can't be bothered with normal tele anymore. It's all reruns and detective shows. YAWN!
gulfcoast_highwayman
Last week's 30 Rock gave us the title of another fantastic Tracey Jordan film:

'Samurai I Am Awry!'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.