Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Astrid
I know, me too. Especially curious about tonights episode. I've tried not to read too much about it all as I want to come to it 'fresh' so to speak but what I have heard sounds great.

Ax
Sean of the Dead
Psychoville this evening was one of the best things I've seen this year; an excellent homage to Rope and it was great to see Mr Gatiss there too.
logger
It was very good.
Zoe
That was absolutely phenomenal
PrincessKate
As someone who's toddling years were interspersed with parties where that Black Lace track was played incessantly, it was fucking creepy to hear it used in those sequences, but excellent.
However, I did miss Joy, Robert and Mr Lomax.
logger
I really couldn't fault it at all.
Zoe
I'm with Sean. As a stand alone work that was probably the best piece of television all year. It's a real achievement. I enjoyed the placement of the solitary cut.
logger
Was that the only cut? I wasn't paying close enough attention early on.
Zoe
Yep. They wanted to do it in one take, but for logistical reasons it was impossible. I seem to remember that they do the cut the same way in Rope, so as it was it just added to the homage.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (logger @ Jul 9 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Was that the only cut? I wasn't paying close enough attention early on.

There was a cut when Maureen enters the kitchen, and the door swings back and forth, and there was a cut when the lifted up the lid of the chest. Those were the only two, I think.

Far more subtle than Hitchcock zooming into people's backs.

EDIT: Perhaps the one with the door swinging back and forth was just my imagination. I may have to watch that bit again.
monkeyman
Psychoville was great.
Zoe
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Jul 9 2009, 10:50 PM) *
There was a cut when Maureen enters the kitchen, and the door swings back and forth, and there was a cut when the lifted up the lid of the chest. Those were the only two, I think.

Ah yes, I'm sure I remember them saying they only did one, but now you say it that sounds right. I'm definitely going to watch the making of online.
monkeyman
Man, Rambo First blood was a genuinely good film. The sequels are ludicrous. The first Rocky was genuinely a great film as well, some of the later films were ok but some were very silly as well.
Could (should?) have just left them both as one film. Having said that, as bad and cheese as the Rocky collection is I do love it and wish I owned it.
Astrid
I concur when it comes to Psychoville.

As a huge LOG fan I have been loving this so much. But tonight was my favourite so far. I literally whooped at the screen when the door opened to the lovely Mr Gatiss. I think this is something I shall be watching several times.

Ax
Zoe
That was a fantastic surprise.

It should have been Dyson hanging on the back of the door.
Astrid
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 9 2009, 11:57 PM) *
That was a fantastic surprise.

It should have been Dyson hanging on the back of the door.

Now THAT would have been brilliant. I'm still hoping that he will turn up to say one little word of dialogue.

I loved the 'moreish' line. And did a 'blow your nose' at the end.

Ax
PrincessKate
I was (a very little bit) disappointed, because I knew the anagram, I thought he'd be more heavily disguised.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Astrid @ Jul 9 2009, 11:55 PM) *
I concur when it comes to Psychoville.

As a huge LOG fan I have been loving this so much. But tonight was my favourite so far. I literally whooped at the screen when the door opened to the lovely Mr Gatiss. I think this is something I shall be watching several times.

Ax

Being both a big fan of LoG and Rope this was a fantastic episode. As soon as I heard the voice through the letter box I thought, 'Mr Gatiss? Yessss.' The twist was a genuine surprise. A faultless piece of television.
Sostie
As a stand alone episode Psychoville was indeed excellent. In the context of the series it a felt a bit like padding.
Jessopjessopjessop
I have not been enamoured with Psychoville so far, but that was an excellent episode and a great achievement. Just last week I was saying that I'd prefer a whole series focusing on David and his Mum. The writing for that pair is particularly good. It was refreshing and exciting to see something like that attempted and successfully pulled off. Extra good was recognising Gatiss' voice through the letter box.

And I only counted one cut - the chest opening.
Zoe
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 10 2009, 09:37 AM) *
And I only counted one cut - the chest opening.

Me too. I was pretty sure there's a cut using the same technique in Rope.

There's some more here http://www.bbc.co.uk/psychoville/

Amazing work by the whole crew.
ipse dixit
Nothing to add but my agreement. Brilliant stuff.
Rua
I can't wait to watch this now.
Astrid
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Jul 10 2009, 05:12 AM) *
Being both a big fan of LoG and Rope this was a fantastic episode. As soon as I heard the voice through the letter box I thought, 'Mr Gatiss? Yessss.' The twist was a genuine surprise. A faultless piece of television.

I'm hoping they get some sort of awards for this. This series is quickly beginning one of my favourite things they have ever done.

Ax
maian
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Jul 9 2009, 10:50 PM) *

EDIT: Perhaps the one with the door swinging back and forth was just my imagination. I may have to watch that bit again.

I think you're right on the door opening. The speed at which Maureen walks back in suggests that they've spliced together two shots of her walking into the kitchen then walking back out. I'm not 100% on it, though, since it's pretty seamless.

This was the first episode of Psychoville I've had the chance to watch and, without knowing anything about the show, I still enjoyed it immensely.
Shack
QUOTE (logger @ Jul 8 2009, 08:38 PM) *
Jamelia has always been lovely.

Thoughts echoed by me as I watched the repeat last night.

An enjoyable and funny show I thought. It even made me find Rufus Hound bearable, which is no mean feat.
NiteFall
After some of my (slightly stupider) friends convinced me it was "hilarious" I watched the Surfin' Bird episode of Family Guy. What utter shit. I feel like I've had a portion of my life stolen from me. No more second chances Family Guy. That is it.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 10 2009, 06:09 PM) *
After some of my (slightly stupider) friends convinced me it was "hilarious" I watched the Surfin' Bird episode of Family Guy. What utter shit. I feel like I've had a portion of my life stolen from me. No more second chances Family Guy. That is it.

True dat.
dandan
it's weird. if you'd have asked me if i ever watched 'six feet under', i'd have said that i watched the first couple of episodes of the first season, then lost track. needless to say, i've been meaning to catch up and have actually watched the first three seasons over the past week. what has been strange, though, is that i'd actually watched nearly every episode, up to the last couple of season three...
logger
Maybe you blocked it from your memory because of how rubbish it got. happy.gif
dandan
hmm, i'm enjoying it... does it go down hill from here?
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I've only heard good things about the last two seasons. I remember Zoe praising the last episode.

I really should watch them soon, I keep getting sidetracked.
logger
I loved the first series but thought it really went down hill after that. Party of Five for grown ups is how I would describe it.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jul 11 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I've only heard good things about the last two seasons. I remember Zoe praising the last episode.

I really should watch them soon, I keep getting sidetracked.

The first 2 or 3 seasons were great, the dark comedy was great and it never got too heavy, the last two seasons stopped being funny and were just dark and depressing instead (for the most part) and it lost what I loved about the series in the first place. It was still good by my god it was hard to sit through a bunch of the episodes as they were really heavy going.
Hobbes
Isn't the start of every episode based around an amusing death or something? Saw a couple of them, was a funny idea but it's not a show I ever got into really.
Zoe
Six Feet Under is the second best TV show of all time.

It's about a family yes, but it's far from Party of Five. It's complex, emotionally challenging, morally ambiguous and ultimately about the inevitability of death and the brevity and cruelty of life. By having a family of deeply flawed individuals at its heart, it's not unlike the Sopranos, and both series use magic realism and occasional whimsy to stunning effect. The best episodes could certainly compete with anything from that show. David is the real star, and the episode 'that's my dog' and the fallout that followed is some of the best acting I've ever seen on TV.

The end of the show was amazing. They could only get away with it because of the five years of brilliance that proceeded. I was crying as if a member of my family had died, properly sobbing.

If you ask me, no one did, it's some of the most intelligent, witty and brilliant TV ever.

And all it's really about is death. Stupid, pointless, funny, tragic and certain death.
logger
For me after the first series (I only got half way through the first episode of the third series) it just became too wangsty and felt like it was for people who wanted to feel ways about stuff.
dandan
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 11 2009, 04:11 PM) *
David is the real star

well, it's certainly not nate, who only has billy as rival to hold the position of 'sure, i know why they have to be there, but they just kinda suck balls' award...

david, ruth and claire are much more interesting...
Zoe
QUOTE (logger @ Jul 11 2009, 04:22 PM) *
For me after the first series (I only got half way through the first episode of the third series) it just became too wangsty and felt like it was for people who wanted to feel ways about stuff.

Well I guess that's me then.
logger
I've just rewatched Psychoville and there is a cut when Shearsmith goes through the kitchen door, just before Gatiss ties a tie around Pemberton's neck, which makes sense because that's one of the things most likely to go wrong and need a retake.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 11 2009, 04:49 PM) *
Well I guess that's me then.

Hey, that's just my opinion.

On Six Feet Under that is, not you. You're alright, I suppose wink.gif
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (logger @ Jul 11 2009, 05:04 PM) *
I've just rewatched Psychoville and there is a cut when Shearsmith goes through the kitchen door, just before Gatiss ties a tie around Pemberton's neck, which makes sense because that's one of the things most likely to go wrong and need a retake.

Vindication!
Zoe
They did the whole thing 16 times.

I can only imagine the rehearsal time beforehand.
Atara
Six Feet Under is amazing. I sort of agree with Chris that the final two seasons lost some of the dark humour and got quite heavy going; having all day marathons ceased around that point as a result but it was still a fantastic show from start to finish. The finale made me cry like almost nothing ever has... not even Disney!

I liked Nate, though. I used to love his stoned rage/trips and the interaction between him and his daughter especially. David is by far the best character and Michael C Hall was fantastic but I never felt there were any weak links in the script or the cast.
Rua
Psychoville was staggering.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (logger @ Jul 11 2009, 05:04 PM) *
I've just rewatched Psychoville...

Is this crucial to the plot? I haven't seen it all yet.
Atara
It's not spoiling anything.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 12 2009, 12:55 PM) *
They did the whole thing 16 times.

I can only imagine the rehearsal time beforehand.

I imagine the DVD will have some of that and all the moments they reached when they had to start all over again. I wonder what was the closest they got to completing the whole scene before something went wrong and they had to go back and do it all again.
maian
All this talk of Six Feet Under has reminded me that I should post my thoughts on Alan Ball's new baby, True Blood, which I watched all the way through over the course of a few days, only for my housemates to start watching it, so I have ended up watching it twice through in the course of two weeks.

First off; it's not as good as Six Feet Under (which I would put in my Top 5 TV shows of all time, even if I really can't bring myself to ever rewatch ''That's My Dog'' ever again) but it isn't trying to be. Whereas SFU was a deeply complex and ambiguous show, True Blood is much more concerned with being popcorn television, albeit popcorn television that is on HBO so can fit in a tad more sex, violence and swearing than it might get away with anywhere.

The show opens at some point in the not too distant future. It is two years since the world received a shock that no one was expecting; vampires came ''out of the coffin'' and revealed themselves to humanity. They've now got their own bars and underground culture, but are seeking equal rights to live amongst the living and several vampires have taken to ''mainstreaming'' in order to further the cause of vampire/human relations.

One such vampire is Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer), who arrives in the town of Bon Temps, Louisiana, and draws hostile stares from everyone in town, except for a local waitress, Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin). It is not simple open-mindedness that draws Sookie to Bill, she feels a special connection to him since he is the first person she has ever encountered whose thoughts she cannot read. Yes, Sookie is telepathic, and the peace she encounters when with Bill draws her to him, despite the warnings of her boss, Sam (Sam Trammell), brother Jason (Ryan Kwanten), best-friend Tara (Rutina Wesley), and gay chef Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis).

Whilst comparisons to Six Feet Under may be unhelpful, given how wildly different in tone the two shows are, a better point of reference may be Twin Peaks. Whilst True Blood does not have the same essential weirdness of Twin Peaks, it's fairly open about its otherworldly aspects, both shows are about small-communities filled with odd characters, all of whom have their own secrets to hide and all of whom are threatened by a spate of serial killings. Not long after Bill arrives in Bon Temps, someone starts offing women, most of whom are friends with Sookie, and the central thread of the first season is the threat of the killer and the search for their identity.

This drives the rest of the series' disparate plot threads along; Sookie and Bill's relationship, Jason's experimentation with the effects of vampire blood, Bill's place in the vampire community, all of these aspects are underpinned by the central question of ''who is the killer?'' Whole episodes can go by without anyone getting killed or even any mention of the murderer, allowing the show to wend its merry way through the lives of its cast, but it's always there as the malignant heartbeat of the show.

I said earlier that True Blood lacks the complexity of Six Feet Under, a claim that I stand by, but that is not to say that it lacks complexity. As with the rest of Alan Ball's work there are a number of undercurrents to the show that deal with themes of (un)death, identity, family, religion and sexuality. These last two points are particularly important, since one of the key metaphors upon which the series is based is the idea of vampires as a stand-in for the gay and lesbian community. Ball has played down this aspect in interviews, but the signs are too strong to ignore; the demonisation of the religious right, whose claims about vampires corrupting the youth could easily be about homosexuality; the ongoing struggle for Vampire Rights; even the credits sequence features a bill-board with the phrase ''GOD HATES FANGS''.

The first season is by no means perfect; the first two or three episodes are really not that good since the show takes a little too long to set a consistent tone and get into the business of opening up the Bon Temps community and expanding upon the lives of the supporting characters. However, once the series finds its footing, in episode 4 or thereabouts, it really gels together and, a few silly extra plot dalliances aside, it doesn't let up until the end of the series, the last three episodes of which are absolutely stunning.
monkeyman
Thanks for that, I'm really interested in watching this series
gulfcoast_highwayman
Me too.

I'm just about to cancel my Sky subs in favour of the cheaper Virgin, but I won't get FX if I do that. This series is what I think I'll be sorriest about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.