Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Shack
The Cube

Possibly my new favouritest game show on the television, although I would like more games and less chat between, but I think in tonight's show they cut that down further from the previous week.

I love Pip Schofield.

I fancy "The Body".

I keep doing things in the house like making a cup of tea and imagining I'm in "The Cube" playing for big money while I pour the milk ever so carefully.
GundamGuy_UK
It's only making tea... but it's in The Cube!
Llama
The Cube has taken the sugar from you.
logger
QUOTE (logger @ Sep 11 2009, 04:03 PM) *
Whilst I'm now convinced that's how he did it, I'm now more concerned with why he did it.

Ah, that's why.
Astrid
Well I'm still going to tune in for Derren. But then I do like the fella a hell of a lot so will watch all of his shows. True I wasn't overly keen on Fridays show. The knife trick I liked. I think more for the fact that we all put prices on knifing our own feet in my house! laugh.gif Half a mill or no I would not do that trick for any amount of money.

Any way. Any ER fans in here? I recorded the last ever episode and I'm going to watch it later on. Almost don't want to with it being the last one. Oh how I love ER and will miss it so. Have adored it from the beginning. Can't believe I have watched 15 years worth and am still wanting more.
Goodbye ER I heart you.
Ax
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Astrid @ Sep 13 2009, 11:45 PM) *
Half a mill or no I would not do that trick for any amount of money.

Really? All it requires is trust in his judgment, which I'd have thought you'd have.

I'd do it, simply because I know he knows I won't get the knife. How he knows is irrelevant.
logger
I'm kind of bored with Harper's Island already. sad.gif
Astrid
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Sep 14 2009, 12:00 AM) *
Really? All it requires is trust in his judgment, which I'd have thought you'd have.

I'd do it, simply because I know he knows I won't get the knife. How he knows is irrelevant.

I know it's daft. I know all the sensible things would go through my head. As you said he knows a good knifing is not going to happen. He isn't going to put anyone in harms way no matter what papers had been signed saying it's not his fault blah blah etc. It's simply not worth it for him. But I still think that fear, seeing that mocked up blade would still make me say no. I don't actually think I could make myself stamp down on the cups. The part where the guy raised his foot up and then stopped and had to start again. I think I would end up doing that over and over. I have an over active imagination at the best of times. I'd be seeing that blade coming through my foot and bottling it every time.

It's like the fear that takes over when people go near the glass floor at the top of Blackpool tower. You know it's not going to break, no more likely than an average floor. An elephant could probably stand on it and it would be fine but it doesn't stop people edging round it or pushing each other onto it and letting out little screams.

Ax
melzilla
QUOTE (Shack @ Sep 12 2009, 09:49 PM) *
The Cube

Possibly my new favouritest game show on the television, although I would like more games and less chat between, but I think in tonight's show they cut that down further from the previous week.

I love Pip Schofield.

I fancy "The Body".

I keep doing things in the house like making a cup of tea and imagining I'm in "The Cube" playing for big money while I pour the milk ever so carefully.

Doesn't the voiceover man have the same voice as The Mighty Boosh's 'Look into the Parrkaaa..' character? I can't listen to him without laughing.
blackcherry
I accidentally caught a bit of What Katie Did Next last night. Yikes. She's one of the most classless women I have ever seen.
Astrid
QUOTE (blackcherry @ Sep 14 2009, 11:33 AM) *
I accidentally caught a bit of What Katie Did Next last night. Yikes. She's one of the most classless women I have ever seen.

Yep - very true. I never liked her but thought it was impressive how successful she had made herself. She knew how to play the game etc. But now I can't even give her kudos for that. I caught a clip of the Katie and Peter show ages back. They were doing a photo shoot and she was going on about the thrush she had and shoving her area in Petes face. Obviously he was not amused. Charming lady.

Ax
Rua
Excited.

Seinfeld on Curb.
NiteFall
QUOTE (Astrid @ Sep 13 2009, 11:45 PM) *
True I wasn't overly keen on Fridays show. The knife trick I liked. I think more for the fact that we all put prices on knifing our own feet in my house! laugh.gif Half a mill or no I would not do that trick for any amount of money.

fuck it, for half a mil I'd go to the kitchen right now and put a knife through my foot.
Astrid
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 14 2009, 02:20 PM) *
fuck it, for half a mil I'd go to the kitchen right now and put a knife through my foot.

Tee hee, my fella said he'd have done the knife trick for 10,000!
Sostie
I quite enjoyed Brown's explanaition, and the show, on Friday. But I've just thought of something that has raised some doubts.

Why are the numbers predicted for each particular week specific to that week. Why were the numbers predicted by the 24 specific to that Wednesday?

No matter how he does his thang, he's still a clever/intriguing/dangerous/entertaining bugger.
Zoe
QUOTE (Astrid @ Sep 14 2009, 03:36 PM) *
Tee hee, my fella said he'd have done the knife trick for 10,000!

I'd have done it for free.

It's such an old trick (though it's usually hands and nails not feet and knives), just another less than thrilling part of a boring show.
NiteFall
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 14 2009, 03:48 PM) *
I quite enjoyed Brown's explanaition, and the show, on Friday. But I've just thought of something that has raised some doubts.

Why are the numbers predicted for each particular week specific to that week. Why were the numbers predicted by the 24 specific to that Wednesday?

I thought that was covered by having them study the previous Lottery numbers up to that week, so they were "predicting" the next numbers in the "pattern".
Sostie
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 14 2009, 04:10 PM) *
I thought that was covered by having them study the previous Lottery numbers up to that week, so they were "predicting" the next numbers in the "pattern".

But would the addition of just six numbers to the thousands already there make all the difference?
NiteFall
Well, the explanation that I would think that he would give would be that adding those extra 6 numbers would then change the next prediction as the series had changed.
Sostie
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 14 2009, 04:24 PM) *
Well, the explanation that I would think that he would give would be that adding those extra 6 numbers would then change the next prediction as the series had changed.

I understand that. It just seems such a small factor to give, what should be, a totally different result.

This is of course assuming it isn't all balls (I am aware of the pun). I still want to know why a "jiggy" camera was used during the initial draw.
NiteFall
The thing I really don't get is why people are complaining that he didn't give a proper explanation. It's a trick. He said it's a trick. He described it as a series of "events of misdirection" so he in fact told everyone that it's a trick. So why do people think he actually does have magic powers and was going to tell them all how to win the lottery? All he's really managed to do is show up how desperately greedy people are that they genuinely believed that he'd teach the nation a foolproof way of guessing totally random events in order to make money.
Astrid
It's the same with the Seance. He said he wasn't going to talk to the dead but still got compliants at him talking to the dead.

Ex
Zoe
Yes, but at the end of Seance he very clearly showed it was a trick. He didn't try and explain it using deep maths and the wisdom of the crowd, which was both patronising, annoying and pointless. I wouldn't have minded if it was a good trick, like the one where Christian Bale bounces a ball to himself, but these tricks were boring and hackneyed.
logger
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 14 2009, 04:35 PM) *
The thing I really don't get is why people are complaining that he didn't give a proper explanation. It's a trick. He said it's a trick. He described it as a series of "events of misdirection" so he in fact told everyone that it's a trick. So why do people think he actually does have magic powers and was going to tell them all how to win the lottery? All he's really managed to do is show up how desperately greedy people are that they genuinely believed that he'd teach the nation a foolproof way of guessing totally random events in order to make money.

Because it was a rubbish trick only given credibility by his reputation and the thought that it was going to lead to a great payoff. In the end it was all just a damp squib that has damaged his reputaion and left him looking cheap.
Zoe
Yup.

It's only disappointing because his stuff is usually so entertaining, he's only failed on that front for me. If it had been entertaining nonsense I wouldn't give a stuff, but it was boring, stupid nonsense, with agency extras miscalculating averages *yawn*.

It was like your stats teacher had turned up pissed... actually that would have been considerably more entertaining.
Sostie
The thing that is bothering me is he said he'd show you how it was done. We had the "averages" theory, which in itself I found interesting and would have happily accepted it as the way in which he done it. But he never showed if that worked. Then he threw a spanner in the works telling how he could have fixed the draw, implying that's how he may have done it after all. Then there is still doubt about whether it was camera trickery. He just said it wasn't. No explanaition as to why it was filmed the way it was (the jiggy camera!)

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, but he didn't give answers as promised. He provided two possibilities and an unanswered doubt.
Llama
The Wisdom of Crowds thing doesn't really make sense in that context... The guessing the weight of the ox example he gave is fine, because obviously it's not going to be a random weight. I don't know how that and automatic writing led to them getting four(?) of the numbers right. Chance, I guess. I'm sure it was just the non-explanation of not-fixing at the end that was the real solution.
Shack
QUOTE (logger @ Sep 14 2009, 12:54 AM) *
I'm kind of bored with Harper's Island already. sad.gif

I feel the same BUT I still like it.

My main grumbles:

1. I don't like the new money sideline plot. It's unnecessary.

2. Why has no-one realised that certain characters have disappeared. One of Trish's best friends got murdered two days before the bachelorette party and no-one has even mentioned she's gone missing. Not even at the bachelorette party!
logger
QUOTE (Shack @ Sep 14 2009, 07:19 PM) *
2. Why has no-one realised that certain characters have disappeared. One of Trish's best friends got murdered two days before the bachelorette party and no-one has even mentioned she's gone missing. Not even at the bachelorette party!

You'd think someone would have noticed the priest was missing by now.
PrincessKate
This programme about middle-class graduates unable to get jobs is just depressing.
Shack
QUOTE (logger @ Sep 14 2009, 08:06 PM) *
You'd think someone would have noticed the priest was missing by now.

Abso-bloody-lutely. I'm assuming he's the only priest on the island as well. And in the only scene he was in, he got a visitor, so I'm assuming he gets them all the time.

And shouldn't they be going through things with the vicar seeing as there is a wedding?

And aren't there other services going on?

My DLF (Dear Lady Friend) made a good point though. If they found out there were murders afoot, they'd cancel the wedding straight away and disperse, so they've got to eek it out. I just think they could have found ways to eek it out better, like they did with his uncle and the mysterious text Henry got that couldn't have been from him.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Shack @ Sep 14 2009, 07:19 PM) *
I feel the same BUT I still like it.

It has the potential to be really good but they've gone down the easy route. It's still enjoyable enough though, apart from the silly things you've mentioned. And you can't knock a clutch of pretty ladies in a TV show.
Bloomeeney
Back to the Derren Brown thing - why hasn't he shown any footage from the second camera yet? (or have I missed it if he did?)

Maybe there will be a big reveal at the end of the series to show it was a split screen camera trick thing....
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Sep 15 2009, 10:17 AM) *
Back to the Derren Brown thing - why hasn't he shown any footage from the second camera yet? (or have I missed it if he did?)

Yeah, considering he made a point of saying that there was a second camera and then we saw no footage from it other than a couple of seconds.
NiteFall
I'm still convinced it's all building up to a huge stunt in the final show and that everything about him predicting the numbers is a misdirection.
Shack
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 15 2009, 09:31 AM) *
And you can't knock a clutch of pretty ladies in a TV show.

I'd knock most of their clutches whenever they liked.
logger
One of the things I'm sure of is that the blond who keeps stripping down to her underwear won't get killed for a while yet.
Shack
QUOTE (logger @ Sep 15 2009, 10:30 PM) *
One of the things I'm sure of is that the blond who keeps stripping down to her underwear won't get killed for a while yet.

Especially if she keeps wearing a sailors hat or doing lots of bending like she has been.
melzilla
Whilst flicking through channels this week I caught (or should I say was astounded by) Flavor Of Love; a programme concerned with finding a 'love match' for rap star Flavor Flav from a bunch of self-obsessed, whining, gold-digging, self-respect-lacking (I could go on.) harpies. It was completely embarrassing to watch and car-crash tv at its worst but I found myself completely unable to turn over. Astonishing.
widowspider
QUOTE (melzilla @ Sep 17 2009, 04:08 AM) *
Whilst flicking through channels this week I caught (or should I say was astounded by) Flavor Of Love; a programme concerned with finding a 'love match' for rap star Flavor Flav from a bunch of self-obsessed, whining, gold-digging, self-respect-lacking (I could go on.) harpies. It was completely embarrassing to watch and car-crash tv at its worst but I found myself completely unable to turn over. Astonishing.

You've never heard of that before? It's been going for ages, and yes it is car-crash telly of the worst kind.
Starscream`s Ghost
Didn't one of the contestants poo on the floor or something?
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Sep 17 2009, 02:54 PM) *
Didn't one of the contestants poo on the floor or something?

No, that was 'Flavour of Paul's'.
Zoe
The floor pooing was legendary.
Starscream`s Ghost
Maybe if you watch 'Reality' TV. I don't.

I think I saw it on TV Heaven, Telly Hell. The Jimmy Carr one.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Try 'The Soup' om Channel E!

It's an easy way of keeping up with the worst of US reality without having to watch entire episodes.
Zoe
No one would consider Flavor of Love to be reality
Starscream`s Ghost
I'm o.f., and consider documentaries to be reality TV...
omni
Fringe starts Season 2 tonight. ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy
ohboyohboyohboy.
Serafina_Pekkala
wrong thread
gulfcoast_highwayman
Last night saw Comedy Central (UK) showing the last ep of 'The Office' series three.

It was as superb as ever, and I went all squee at Jim & Pam at the end. Wonderful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.