Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
PrincessKate
I'm watching this new 'docusoap' on Sky, Pineapple Studios.
Horribly addictive.
logger
Nurse Jackie is the best sitcom on tv at the moment. Although, I'm not buying Coop being in love with Jackie, or at least the dumping the other girl part.
Zoe
'Bellamy's People' was brilliant this week.

He's trying to peanut butter and jam me.
grumpygit
Gah! Missed them both, i-player awaits.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 15 2010, 10:45 PM) *

Simon Day is just awesome every week. Peter Salad was wonderful.
Ade
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 15 2010, 10:45 PM) *

I really must get up to speed with this.
Zoe
This week's was the funniest so far and it has no narrative so you can start from any point - iPlayer is your friend

It was very nearly Down the Line standard this week - even including a parking dispute.
logger
Last night I watched How Vietnam was Lost and The Most Dangerous Man in America. Neither were groundbreaking documentaries, HVWL was simply two events from October 1967 in Vietnam (an ambush that was the US's first real defeat in the war) and the US (the first student protest to turn to violence) recounted by the people who were there and was all the more poignant and effective for it. Using talking heads it was hard not to be moved, especially at middle aged men reduced to tears recounting seeing their young friends massacred and their anger at how the army tried to spin things to make it seem like a victory.

TMDMIA told the story of Daniel Ellsberg who leaked top secret information about US policy in Indo-China going Nixon all the way back to Truman. There was so much information to get forward that it became a little dense and was easy to tune out only to be snapped back into focus as the insanity and hypocrisy of the war were revealed. One highlight was hearing a tape of Kissinger trying to convince Nixon to blow up dikes to flood enough of Vietnam to kill around 200 000, only for Nixon to dismiss this because he really wanted to drop a nuclear bomb on them.

What both documentaries showed is how much people believe that what they are doing is the right thing to do in that time and place, and in that frame of mind people are capable of almost anything.
Shack
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 10 2010, 02:28 PM) *
DAMN REPEATS!

It is the end of an era. I might have to get them on DVD now.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Super Skelts is making tremendous progress. She's simply amazing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/bluepeter/presen...amazonmap.shtml
Rua
Monkey Tennis?
Everlong
Watching last night's newswipe, having the imperial march and Emmerdale music during the John Terry stuff had me in fits.
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Feb 17 2010, 11:35 PM) *
Watching last night's newswipe, having the imperial march and Emmerdale music during the John Terry stuff had me in fits.

That was good.
melzilla
QUOTE (Rua @ Feb 17 2010, 05:18 PM) *

Crikey. All those programmes mentioned sound horrendous. Monkey Tennis would be ten times more entertaining.
Shack

Be Careful What You Wish For sounds like the perfect show to "merk" your mates.

For anyone you dislike you could send a request in saying that they've always reckoned they could swim in and out of a great white's mouth without a scratch.

MERKED!
gulfcoast_highwayman
Japanese trailer for GLEE!
Ade

I done a 'lol'.
PrincessKate
90 minute opener to the new series of Masterchef tonight. Woo.
Everlong
Just starting to watch something called "My big fat gypsy wedding", its already odd less than 10 mins in.
Zoe
Did anyone watch Masterchef...

FAMOUS!

(I'm on the right)
Julie
Are you guys getting Community out there?
PrincessKate
Boo, I missed:

QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 19 2010, 01:33 AM) *

FAMOUS!

(I'm on the right)

Because I wanted to watch:
QUOTE (Everlong @ Feb 18 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Just starting to watch something called "My big fat gypsy wedding", its already odd less than 10 mins in.

It was very odd. The dresses especially.
gulfcoast_highwayman

FAMOUS!

(I'm on the right)

And, on that blond bombshell.............
Chapman Baxter

I spotted you. Carrie was impressed by the venue.
Zoe
It was Lowri (sat with me) who made the girl cry!
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 19 2010, 09:41 AM) *
It was Lowri (sat with me) who made the girl cry!

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between medium and medium-rare. Anything more than rare is overcooked as far as I'm concerned.
Zoe
They encouraged us to nitpick and stage managed sending that waitress down to pass on the criticism in the kitchen - it would never normally happen.

TV LIES!
Everlong
Yay for famous Zoe!

I missed that as I was watching gypsies getting maried on the other side. Mental dresses, Bridesmaids in neon and stuff.

Best bit.... "You can call me a gypsy, you can call me an oirish coont even, but don't call me a pikey!!"
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 19 2010, 05:42 AM) *
Are you guys getting Community out there?

Not on the television yet, but I have been watching it via slightly dubious means (peering through the windows of American houses) and I really like it. Hungover Abed was a particular highlight.
Julie
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Feb 19 2010, 07:12 AM) *
Not on the television yet, but I have been watching it via slightly dubious means (peering through the windows of American houses) and I really like it. Hungover Abed was a particular highlight.

It's easily my favourite show this year. Good work, Sean.
Wife Of Rolex
Is there anyone left on this forum who hasn't had their mug on TV?
Raven
Me.

No, actually I tell a lie, I have been on TV now I think about it . . .
Llama
I was gonna say me, but I've been in the background of the snooker. Oh yeah cool.gif
PrincessKate
I ain't.
Everlong
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 19 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Me!

"Thank gawd!" the crowd cries.
grumpygit
Only Crimewatch.

ph34r.gif
Raven
Sue Perkins on QI, excellent!
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 19 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Even I've been on TV, though it was just local news. They were doing a report about some transfer students at my primary school and came in to film us dancing. I managed to have an epic fail by turning the wrong way. laugh.gif
Everlong
Anyone watching this 'The Bubble' thing on BBC2 with David Mitchell presenting?

I've only just tuned in. Seems... okay. Got the lahhvely Victoria Coren on it too.
Raven
I thought it was quite good, but it was relying on the guests and David Mitchell for that, not the format.
maian
I agree. It's a format that could easily get repetitive as the series goes on, but it'll be defined more by the guests than anything else. I did rather enjoy the first episode, mind.
Serafina_Pekkala
I was nearly on telly more than once.

Telly cannot contain my essence.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I was on a couple ot TV shows in my youth, mainly becuasem y primrary school was just behind YTV studios in Leeds. 'How We Used To Live' and 'My World' both made use of my talents.

When I was 13, my mother and I appeared on a live 'Calender Tuesady' for 30 terrifying minutes. It made me realise that a career in telly did not beckon for me.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 21 2010, 03:31 PM) *
'How We Used To Live' and 'My World' both made use of my talents.

The mind boggles. I remember the former show - mainly because it had such a mournful brass theme tune and a black and white photos opening montage. It was quite creepy looking back - like Picnic at Hanging Rock for Northern kids in the 80s.

I may be remembering it wrong.
PrincessKate
Pineapple Dance Studios is my current guiltiest of guilty pleasures, horribly quoteable and full of awful people actng up for the cameras.

And of course, Snog Marry Avoid, apparently this girl is called Petagay and doesn't wear bras, preferring outfits of nipple tassels and knickers.
Shack
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 20 2010, 12:20 AM) *
I agree. It's a format that could easily get repetitive as the series goes on, but it'll be defined more by the guests than anything else. I did rather enjoy the first episode, mind.

I think so.

Not sure how OCD poster boy Jon Richardson will fare next week. Probably gorgeously. He was lovely in the Guardian the other week, but without telly and phones for 4 days, he might crack.

I was hoping for better but I still enjoyed it.
logger
Today I have mostly been watching The War of the World where historian Niall Ferguson gives his theory about how the 20th century was just one huge conflict (like Metal Gear Solid). Whereas most people at the beginning of the century thought the great conflicts would be between the classes, they would in fact be between ethnic races. As empires rose and fell and economies fluctuated, people of different races would become easy targets, usually suffering more in places where they were the most integrated with the indigenous populations.

Whilst it's good to see an impartial view of history based on what actually happened rather than what the people in power (Lizard People) want you to believe happened, it is incredibly ambitious to give a full history of the last century and it's never really going to be done satisfactorily in six 50 minute episodes. That said, it does manage to fit a lot in, with each episode getting its point across in its allocated time period. The first episode starts with the Russo-Japan war of 1904, the build up and subsequent first world war, the Russian Revolution and the following civil war. The second begins with the depression, the rise of Stalin and Hitler and the expansion of the Japanese empire. The third is the first half of the second world war, with the Japanese invasion of China (The Chinese Incident) and Germany's betrayal of Russia with Barbarossa. The fourth was the second half of the war, which again showed anybody romanticising the war is either ignorant or a bullshitter, where atrocities were committed on all sides (I wonder if they'll show US soldiers massacring Japanese women and children in Pacific), where the allies sided with a dictator just as bad as Hitler and nobody gave a shit about the Jews. The fifth episode dealt with the cold war, or the third world war, which was ironically fought almost exclusively in the third world. The final episode started with the collapse of the Soviet Union, the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans as an old soviet leader extended his stay in power, the continued rise of China as a superpower and the tensions caused by the immigration of much needed foreign workers into Europe (Eurabia) as Europeans just aren't reproducing enough.

You couldn't help but be left with the feeling that things are just going to continue in this way, making scapegoats of those who are different as the political and economic landscape alters, where people become more and more brutalised and find themselves capable of the most horrific acts. I'm not sure I agree that this was something new to the 20th century, there has always been genocide, it's just now we have the technology to do it efficiently and on a huge scale.

It's not perfect, there have been countless other documentaries that go into much more detail about individual aspects of what is shown here, South America and Africa barely get a look in, and you do wonder just how much, if any, has been omitted (Lizard People) to prove Ferguson's theory, but it is a compelling theory nonetheless. Anyway, this is definitely worth checking out. It was on Channel 4 in 2005, although it totally passed me by and I had never heard of it. It's on Virgin's on demand service and can also be watched on 4OD.
Wife Of Rolex
Although it's been disjointed here and there, I've really enjoyed the second series of Being Human. Genuine horror and real moments of 'Oooh, what's gonna happen?' Can't wait for next week's final episode.
monkeyman
The Dizee Rascal & Florence duet/whatever was quite horrible.
sweetbutinsane
If someone tries to murder you on Wisteria Lane, you get thrown a party. This should happen in real life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.