Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
monkeyman
I feel I shouldn't like that show but I do.
logger
This series of South Park has been a bit lame.
NiteFall
After seeing it on You Have Been Watching last night I'm now extremely tempted to download and watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
logger
Was that on last night? Quick, to the 4od cave!
Llama
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 16 2010, 12:56 PM) *
You Have Been Watching last night

Bollocks! Knew there was something I was planning to watch.

It's not on 4OD yet, they're having "technical problems".
Sir_Robin_the_brave
It was a slightly poor episode really. Although I continue to warm to Kevin Bridges, he's very funny.

Liza Tarbuck on the other hand is not.

What's going on with Brooker's hair?
logger
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Apr 16 2010, 01:15 PM) *

I just saw a picture of it, he's gone all David Lynch.
Sostie
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Apr 16 2010, 01:15 PM) *
It was a slightly poor episode really. Although I continue to warm to Kevin Bridges, he's very funny.

Liza Tarbuck on the other hand is not.

I thought CB's "do" was rather fetchhing

I like Lisa Tarbuck. Well more than I like her dad.
Starscream`s Ghost
I don't like either of them.
Ade
Ashes to Ashes and Facejacker tonight. Cool.
Zoe
I have just looked up the hair - thumbs up! There's nowt wrong with making a bit of effort.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 16 2010, 12:56 PM) *
After seeing it on You Have Been Watching last night I'm now extremely tempted to download and watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Do so. I watched the first couple by that method, and it is as hilariously bad as it looks.
maian
Spartacus: Blood and Sand looks so bad it's gone past good and back to bad again.[/Ghostworld]

YHBW was okay. As with the first series I think that Brooker will relax into presenting as the series progresses, and I'm glad that he seems to have abandoned the slightly awkward "End of the show! End of the show!" catchphrase.
Wife Of Rolex
A fitting sort of low key ending to Mad Men last week. I was wondering if they'd mention Betty's brain tumour in the last episode or carry it to season 4. Glad they've done the latter as it leaves it hanging.
logger
The first episode of The Prisoner was alright, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. There were bits I liked but more bits that I didn't like, including Jim Caviezel not being badass enough and there wasn't enough conflict or people fucking with him. I also don't think it's going to be a good idea to stretch certain characters out over the whole show and I'll not be happy if it's all going on in his head. Anyway, I'll probably continue to watch but I'll not be too upset if I miss it.
sweetbutinsane
I love the dog act on Britain's Got Talent, even if the woman seems a little crazy.
Ade
I can't remember how I ended up with the link on my screen, but did someone here already post this: Penelope Princess Of Pets ?

Starts on Channel 4 at 11pm on April 21st. Fans of Julian Barratt and FOTC's Kristen Schaal take note.

Zoe
Did anyone else think Hugh on Louis Theroux's show about medicated kids was the most amazing kid ever?

He was like Holden Caulfield x Max Fischer.

Apparently, in America, they put you on meds for being awesome.
logger
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 14 2010, 10:09 PM) *
This series of South Park has been a bit lame.

It would appear they were putting all their concentration into the 200th episode, which was pretty good.

Also, what's Moose Head and why does it make you act like a cunt?

And the nutters have already started to sound off
Rua
The Comedy Lab by Liam Hourican made me want to be sick. Very very sick.

The Irish PM in particular was saddening.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Rua @ Apr 20 2010, 01:22 PM) *
The Comedy Lab by Liam Hourican made me want to be sick. Very very sick.

The Irish PM in particular was saddening.

Sick through not-funny or another kind of sick?
Rua
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Apr 20 2010, 01:49 PM) *
Sick through not-funny or another kind of sick?

Embarrasingly not funny.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Rua @ Apr 20 2010, 01:55 PM) *
Embarrasingly not funny.

These comedy lab things often are just so.
Rua
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Apr 20 2010, 02:22 PM) *
These comedy lab things often are just so.

I know a couple of folk in it who did what they could with what they were given, but it was just awful.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Rua @ Apr 20 2010, 02:28 PM) *
I know a couple of folk in it who did what they could with what they were given, but it was just awful.

Makes you wonder how they even pass submission standards.
Rua
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Apr 20 2010, 02:53 PM) *
Makes you wonder how they even pass submission standards.

Exactly. That & no-one seems to know who Liam Hourican is or where he came from. What a waste of output.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Rua @ Apr 20 2010, 02:55 PM) *
That & no-one seems to know who Liam Hourican is or where he came from. What a waste of output.

He seems to have come from some twatty bubble of a Channel Four thing where they 'toss off' a programming schedule in between skinny lattes.

Seems odd that genuine comedy talent like Pappys and Anna & Katy have slog through comedy festivals whilst this dude just coasts in and mucks abaaaaht.
PrincessKate
To be fair, Pappy's had a pilot of their own and it was rubs.
And this from the girl who would happily lick them.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Apr 20 2010, 03:09 PM) *
To be fair, Pappy's had a pilot of their own and it was rubs.

And all kinds of other troubles too. My point was there are good comedy performers out there - it all seems rather hit and miss.

Maybe Brendan Dodds will come up with something.
PrincessKate
Girl Friday was ok.
I liked the "Scared I'm going to bite your cock off?!" sketch, it should have ended on that line.
maian
Just watched the first episode of Treme, the new show from David Simon (co-created with Eric Overmyer, who was a producer/writer on The Wire during its 3rd and 4th seasons (the best seasons of the show, for my money)) and I am impressed, but coolly so. It's not that the pilot is bad or anything - it's impeccably directed by Agnieszka Holland, the cast is great, the music is beautiful and the script sparkles - just that it's always hard to judge any series Simon creates based on the early episodes, since they are always about setting mood and tone before the meat of the show really begins.

However, in its 80 minutes the episode does an awful lot. It introduces a large ensemble cast of New Orleans residents trying to get by in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, it throws us in at the deep end by introducing us to the musical culture and language of New Orleans without a moment of preamble, and it sets up a number of relationships and plots - like Khandi Alexander looking for her missing brother, and her relationship with Wendell Pierce (Bunk!) that seem like they'll become more important as the series progresses.

As I said, the cast is great. It's a good mix of hugely talented character actors. Alongside Alexander (who is looking lovely these days, though my opinion of her may be skewed by the fact that the only other thing I've seen her in is The Corner, in which she plays a junkie and spends all four episodes looking very sick) and Pierce you've got Clarke Peters (Freamon!), Melissa Leo (Kay!) and John Goodman. The standout character so far, mainly because he gets more airtime than any of the others, is Davis, played by Steve Zahn. He's a DJ who, from what we see, is a bit of a charming fuck-up who steals CDs from a shop closing down because they are "karmically" his, opens an expensive bottle of wine at his sort-of girlfriend's restaurant and then tries to pay with one of the stolen CDs, and blasts incredibly load rap music at his neighbours to piss them off. He also makes up about 70% of the swear count for the episode, with about 20% going to Goodman, and 10% equally divided amongst the rest.

The main stumbling block I have getting wholly onboard with the show is its apparent lack of immediate purpose and drive. Sure, The Wire was an incredibly slow-burning show, but at least it had the drug trade and a minutely detailed investigation to drive it, so far all Treme has is a bunch of musicians and a vibrant backdrop. It also doesn't seem to have the Dickensian examination of failing institutions aspect that made The Wire so fascinating. Obviously, given the location and that the show is set only three months after Katrina, the show can't help but have that political resonance, but apart from John Goodman's tirade near the start of the episode, the show seems more content to show how these people are trying to get on with their lives and rebuild their community.

Personally, that's fine with me for the moment, since I greatly enjoyed meeting these characters and sampling the local flavour, but I think it'll be a few episodes before we really get a sense of where the show is headed. By this point, though, I've enough faith in Simon and his team to take the show to interesting places and in their own sweet time.

Edit: Also, I felt a real pang of sadness when David Mills' names appeared in the credits.
logger
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 20 2010, 11:55 PM) *
The main stumbling block I have getting wholly onboard with the show is its apparent lack of immediate purpose and drive.

This even more so in the second episode.
Jessopjessopjessop
Thanks for the review Ed. I'm looking forward to it - and fully expecting the same apparent lack of drive as described by other reviewers. I suppose it will carry on like that for the foreseeable future. It is a bold thing indeed to create a drama series with no conceit or concept behind everything, but then long-running soap-operas do the very same thing for years and years, so maybe it is us, the viewers, who are flawed. Mmm, think about that. Yeah.
Zoe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 19 2010, 11:56 PM) *
Did anyone else think Hugh on Louis Theroux's show about medicated kids was the most amazing kid ever?

He was like Holden Caulfield x Max Fischer.

Apparently, in America, they put you on meds for being awesome.

Seriously, did no one else see this kid? He was amazing!

"My sister peeved me off again. I'm too furious to repeat anything she said"

He's 10!
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Apr 21 2010, 09:15 AM) *
Thanks for the review Ed. I'm looking forward to it - and fully expecting the same apparent lack of drive as described by other reviewers. I suppose it will carry on like that for the foreseeable future. It is a bold thing indeed to create a drama series with no conceit or concept behind everything, but then long-running soap-operas do the very same thing for years and years, so maybe it is us, the viewers, who are flawed. Mmm, think about that. Yeah.

The thing I forgot to mention about it in my review was that, above all else, it is a lot of fun. It's got a great deal of energy to it, and the characters all have something to recommend them. More of a plot will no doubt develop as the series goes on, and I trust Simon and Overmyer to bring it all together for the finale, I just have no idea where it is going at the moment. But I'm having fun regardless.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Zoe)
Seriously, did no one else see this kid? He was amazing!

I saw a few minutes, near the end. He seemed like an eccentric young chap. Maybe he really does need meds - it only showed a snapshot of him, and that was when he was taking them - but I dunno...it's still troubling.
Zoe
He was pretty much the best kid I have ever seen. I don't mean to be flippant, as you're right he was medicated during the documentary and he might genuinely need them, but he was just so astonishingly intelligent and articulate and erudite for a 10 year old, it was startling. He's an exceptional kid, meds or not.

I hope I have cool precocious, Tenenbaum kids, preferably ginger ones. I'm sure they won't get bullied at school...
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Apr 21 2010, 10:26 AM) *
It's still troubling.

It really is. I met a lot of North Americans when at Uni here and in Canada who were put on magic medicines as soon as they developed a sense of independence. It didn't appear to work for anyone - the opposite in fact. One girl we called 'Awakenings' because she would just drift off into herself. But then again - the parents of said kids were on at least 3 or 4 different drugs for whatever-condition. I was pretty shocked by it all.
Zoe
They kept talking about 'Oppositional defiant disorder' which as far as I could tell meant 'disagreeing with one's parents'.

I think we all had that.
beatoswald
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 21 2010, 10:24 AM) *
The thing I forgot to mention about it in my review was that, above all else, it is a lot of fun. It's got a great deal of energy to it, and the characters all have something to recommend them. More of a plot will no doubt develop as the series goes on, and I trust Simon and Overmyer to bring it all together for the finale, I just have no idea where it is going at the moment. But I'm having fun regardless.

I can't wait to see this. Simon said its essentially about black American music. Thus it seems likely to attempt to embody a narrative with its value and significance. An expansion of the sort of of thing hinted at in Homicide (Jazz), The Wire (Rap), and particularly The Corner (Funk and Soul).
logger
QUOTE (beatoswald @ Apr 21 2010, 11:40 AM) *
I can't wait to see this. Simon said its essentially about black American music.

It's certainly a very prominent feature so far.
maian
QUOTE (beatoswald @ Apr 21 2010, 11:40 AM) *
I can't wait to see this. Simon said its essentially about black American music. Thus it seems likely to attempt to embody a narrative with its value and significance. An expansion of the sort of of thing hinted at in Homicide (Jazz), The Wire (Rap), and particularly The Corner (Funk and Soul).

That's interesting, but it does make me wonder if that was more David Mills' influence, seeing as he was the music expert on all of those shows. Hopefully the show will be able to continue without him (The Wire survived the similarly untimely death of Robert Colesberry) but I can see that passion for and knowledge of black music being hard to replace.
Zoe
I'm going to see Alan Ball on Saturday

http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southban...nts/hbo_weekend
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 21 2010, 12:15 PM) *

Wow, that sounds like a pretty event. I'd lovely to see Alan Ball talk about his work. The Larry David talk would no doubt be pretty good, too.
maian
I missed Season 7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm when it aired and I've been catching up with it today. I'm only two episodes in, but it seems like a marked improvement on seasons 4, 5 and 6, all of which I liked but felt were a step down from the sublime first three seasons. Shaking up Larry's domestic life so violently by having him separated from Cheryl does change a dynamic that had become pretty stale, especially since it makes their scenes together actually quite sweet in a way that they never were before. The decision to give Loretta cancer in the first episode? The ballsiest move the show has ever made, in my opinion. Larry's attempts to break off the relationship without seeming like a complete prick are hilarious, and the very nature of their situation forces the show to veer into some dark and edgy terrain that it hasn't really explored before, which is refreshing. Also, Leon is still an amazing character.

I've also been watching the first series of Justified, which I like a great deal. The basic premise is that Timothy Olyphant plays Raylan Givens, a Federal Marshall who is an old-school cowboy type working in modern day Miami. In the first episode, he gives a bad guy an ultimatum; get out of town in 24 hours, or he'll shoot him. The guy doesn't leave town, so Raylan shoots him. This causes an understandable shitstorm for the Marshalls, so they ship Raylan out to Harlan County, Kentucky, where he is from originally. From then onwards, Raylan has to confront people from his past he would best forget in between solving cases.

It's not groundbreaking - at a basic level it's a procedural with more swearing and violence - but where the show shines is in the details. It's got a nice sense of place to it (even though it is filmed in Los Angeles it really feels like Kentucky), creator Graham Yost (the credited writer of Speed and creator of the under-rated Boomtown) has a real feel for what made the Elmore Leonard stories the character comes from and nails the laconic cool of Leonard's writing, and at its centre is a magnificent central performance from Olyphant, who oozes calm whilst barely suppressing his rage at his new circumstances.

It's by no means perfect; the opening episode is fantastic, probably one of the best pilots I've ever seen, but it promises a serialised story that has so far not appeared as the show has adopted a crime of the week format. However, it's good fun and I can see it developing into a really strong show once the supporting cast are given more room to breathe and Raylan's past unfolds more.
melzilla
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 21 2010, 11:56 PM) *
I missed Season 7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm when it aired and I've been catching up with it today. I'm only two episodes in, but it seems like a marked improvement on seasons 4, 5 and 6, all of which I liked but felt were a step down from the sublime first three seasons. Shaking up Larry's domestic life so violently by having him separated from Cheryl does change a dynamic that had become pretty stale, especially since it makes their scenes together actually quite sweet in a way that they never were before. The decision to give Loretta cancer in the first episode? The ballsiest move the show has ever made, in my opinion. Larry's attempts to break off the relationship without seeming like a complete prick are hilarious, and the very nature of their situation forces the show to veer into some dark and edgy terrain that it hasn't really explored before, which is refreshing. Also, Leon is still an amazing character.

Season 7 is fab. I love the bizarre directions Larry's life takes, no matter how ridiculous it gets there is something which makes it fully believable and normal in Larry's world. Fantasic writing and definitely, as you said, back on form after a slight lull.
maian
QUOTE (melzilla @ Apr 22 2010, 12:18 AM) *
Season 7 is fab. I love the bizarre directions Larry's life takes, no matter how ridiculous it gets there is something which makes it fully believable and normal in Larry's world. Fantasic writing and definitely, as you said, back on form after a slight lull.

Definitely. I was thinking during the second episode that even though you have all the stuff about people getting blowjobs in cars, which is taken to a ridiculous extreme, you also have Larry's struggles with packaging to bring it down to a more mundane, well-observed style of comedy. I think that the lull in the show stemmed from him moving away from those little moments to the big silly arcs and huge misunderstandings that exist purely inside his mind and nowhere else. I don't want the show to be all about the little observational stuff (and I know that Season 7 goes to some pretty far out places with the reunion storyline), but a return to that smaller focus as a driving force of each episode seems to have revitalised the show.
Rua
Season 7 is my favourite so far.
maian
QUOTE (Rua @ Apr 22 2010, 12:12 PM) *
Season 7 is my favourite so far.

I just watched the third episode, in which Larry first decides to get the gang back together, and it's got everything I love about the show. The scene with Jason and Larry arguing about tips in the restaurant is as good as anything the show has ever done. The conversation between him and Susie about how she should be grateful to him is also great, though that maybe because I had the exact same conversation with someone a while ago.
logger
I'm enjoying the first season of Party Down. It kind of makes me feel embarrassed for British tv just how good US tv is, especially comedy.

It makes me sad to hear that Jane Lynch jumped ship to Glee after this season.

It also makes me want to do Lizzy Caplan more than ever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.