Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Shack
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 18 2008, 12:01 PM)
Did Liz make it though again? (I missed the end of last nights episode).

Someone gets bumped in the next one.

Everyone is pretty much on an even keel. Anything could happen.... although it'll probably be cooking.
ella
Liz is amazing - considering that she has never done any cooking of that kind before.

It's a goody this series - like you say, it's anyone's game.
Bloomeeney
Bound to be Peters that wins - he's the only southerner! Like the apprentice - 3 Northerners, 1 southerner in the final - who wins?

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! mad.gif
bigfatrich
The best bit of this series so far has to be Greg Wallace's "double cum face" when he was eating Andy Peters' pudding on Wednesday night's show. It had me crying. laugh.gif
Raven
QUOTE (ella @ Jul 18 2008, 01:32 PM)
Liz is amazing - considering that she has never done any cooking of that kind before.

I saw her qualifier, when she was up against John Burke (who apparently thought Masterchef was a completely different program from what it is) and a really arrogant woman whose name I can't remember.

Liz was so genuine and enthusiastic it was a real crowd pleasing moment when she won!
Shack
I think my favourite part of the whole programme are the montage parts where John and Greg walk around rolling their eyes, puffing out their cheeks, looking at each other while shaking their heads and rubbing their temples with their fingers.

It's usually interspersed with shots of food cooking and ones of the celebs getting something a bit wrong.

"I've caught my onions"
ella
Greg Wallace's "pudding face" is my favourite. Brilliant gurning almost always accompanied by a "grauuuuuwww" noise.
angle
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 18 2008, 12:58 PM)
The trailer featured the worst jokes. It's no masterpiece but you have to go along with the silliness. At the same time, it's an intelligent level of silliness that stupid people couldn't write.
Whereas 'Earl' is lowest common denominator comedy, whereby every single joke is explained in laborious detail in the voice-over.

So.......you really think lab rats is intelligently written comedy?? there is silly and there is damned annoying pointless crankies/chuckle brothers blackpool end of pier twattery

Never said Earl was Shakespeare, and as for lowest common denominator comedy,that's exactly what lab rats is, Saturday early evening Ant and Deccery at it's worst MEH!! rant over, nowt personal jessop, i love comedy and didnt find it intelligent in the least.
melzilla
I've only ever seen the first few mins of 'Lab Rats', but it seemed to be almost exactly based on 'When the Whistle Blows'; a very well-written crap sitcom.
sweetbutinsane
Ahh, I could watch that last episode of Scrubs over and over again. happy.gif
Hobbes
Anyone else who's in tonight: Rumble in the Bronx is on BBC1 after the 10 o'clock news tonight. If you haven't seen it and like martial arts movies give it a whirl, I absolutely love it. Jackie Chan is the greatest martial art movie star of all time in my opinion, and this movie shows some great stuff. Not his best, but shows the inventiveness, skill and sheer speed which makes Chan the best in my opinion.

If you don't believe/disagree me, go back and Watch the Drunken Master movies and Mr. Nice Guy, because Chan really is astonishing. Has mastered almost every discipline (including drunken boxing, known to be one of the most difficult martial arts to perfect) to perfection and executes at breathtaking speed, and often with loads of panache.
Zoe
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 18 2008, 09:44 PM)
Anyone else who's in tonight: Rumble in the Bronx is on BBC1 after the 10 o'clock news tonight.

Did you get the guilt trip about not going to Caaaaahmden too?
Hobbes
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 18 2008, 08:47 PM)
Did you get the guilt trip about not going to Caaaaahmden too?

I did. I have the reliable excuse of illness. Even Tom can't argue that, though no doubt he'd prescribe some 'meds' to 'ease the pain' or something. I don't imagine your excuse was as watertight.
Zoe
It went like this...

wah wah waaah wah
Hobbes
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 18 2008, 08:50 PM)
It went like this...

wah wah waaah wah

How utterly dignified.
Zoe
Why is everyone snipping at me today?

In fact, I am just too tired. He woke me up from my nap!
Hobbes
If you'd included that in the original explanation, there would have been no need to snip.
widowspider
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 18 2008, 08:44 PM)
Anyone else who's in tonight: Rumble in the Bronx is on BBC1 after the 10 o'clock news tonight. If you haven't seen it and like martial arts movies give it a whirl, I absolutely love it. Jackie Chan is the greatest martial art movie star of all time in my opinion, and this movie shows some great stuff. Not his best, but shows the inventiveness, skill and sheer speed which makes Chan the best in my opinion.

If you don't believe/disagree me, go back and Watch the Drunken Master movies and Mr. Nice Guy, because Chan really is astonishing. Has mastered almost every discipline (including drunken boxing, known to be one of the most difficult martial arts to perfect) to perfection and executes at breathtaking speed, and often with loads of panache.

Drunken boxing is so freaking hard, and he is an absolute master. I adore Jackie Chan movies, they are so much fun to watch.
ella
Ta for the tip Hobbes - I do love Rumble in the Bronx.

And just to prove what an absolute badass Jackie Chan is, he broke his foot doing a stunt during filming and rather than slow down the production he came back in with a cast on and waterskiied on it.
Starscream`s Ghost
I believe my favourite Ash song is on the end credits, too.
ella
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jul 18 2008, 10:03 PM)

If your favourite Ash song is Kung Fu (which it should be) then you are correct.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (ella @ Jul 18 2008, 11:08 PM)
If your favourite Ash song is Kung Fu (which it should be) then you are correct.

You're correct in your asumption.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jul 18 2008, 10:03 PM)

My life was over when the Green Dragon closed

The '90s are sorely missed.

Am watching this now. Can't wait for the fight in the gang hideout near the end, it's so awesome.

QUOTE (ella @ Jul 18 2008, 09:59 PM)
And just to prove what an absolute badass Jackie Chan is, he broke his foot doing a stunt during filming and rather than slow down the production he came back in with a cast on and waterskiied on it.

Yeah he's a badass. He also does a leap from the top of a multi-storey car park onto a fire escape. Obviously, he does it himself and no safety equipment was involved. Has broken every bone in his body and still going strong, the man's fearless.
maian
Right, that's Season 4 of The Wire watched and, it has to be said, it's probably the single greatest piece of television I have ever been privy to watch. As ever, the show embellished and expanded its horizons, this time taking in the school system, and I was absolutely hooked as usual. I loved the diverging progressions of Michael and Namand. Michael's final scenes, contrasted with the relatively mild-mannered and sweet boy of the first few episodes, nearly had me in tears, as did the death of Bodie. Bodie has been one of my favourite characters since I started watching the show, and to see him go out in a way befitting his character was strangely beautiful, even if it was painful to watch.

Can't wait to watch Season 5, even if this season has taught me that watching it one episode a week is really frustrating.
NiteFall
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 18 2008, 08:44 PM)
Anyone else who's in tonight: Rumble in the Bronx is on BBC1 after the 10 o'clock news tonight.

And I was working. Damn.

Oh well, I have Police Story 1 and 2 on DVD and unwatched for a while. That should keep me going.
melzilla
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jul 18 2008, 11:03 PM)

....and mine!
bigfatrich
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 18 2008, 11:20 PM)
Can't wait to watch Season 5, even if this season has taught me that watching it one episode a week is really frustrating.

First episode on FX last night and it didn't disappoint! The opening sequence was hilarious. The whole episode acted as a re-introduction to where S4 finished and set up and introduced some new characters and situations. It just felt so "right", the pace, the direction, the dialogue; I was shouting for more at the end of the episode: McNulty fans will be pleased to see the return of "bad" McNulty, or so it seems

For those who watched S4, Carcetti's bowls of steaming sh!t are coming thick and fast already.
Raven
Finally caught an episode of Bonekickers this evening - it is the new Crime Traveller! Unremittingly awful!

I just feel sorry for the poor saps who work at the Baths in Bath who are now going to have to explain that there aren't any catacombs and, no, Boadicea wasn't buried at the site after a romantic tryst with a Roman Engineer who then burned Rome whilst Nero fiddled . . .
NiteFall
There are catacombs under Bath though, it's riddled with them, you can go on tours and everything.

The problem is that they're all much more recent than the Roman stuff is all.
Shack
Bonekickers is one of those BBC series that stars lots of people who've been in lots of other things but I couldn't tell you what.

The sort of series that washes past you without really ever noticing it was there in the first place.

In other news, Celebrity Masterchef is back on tonight. Woop.
Raven
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 23 2008, 01:42 AM)
There are catacombs under Bath though, it's riddled with them, you can go on tours and everything.

You can't get into them through the Roman baths though, can you? (it's been a while since I was last there, but I don't remember any catacombs on the tour!).
KevinandNick
I thought that Bonekickers looked like a pile of old bollocks - the main tip-off was when a producer was interviewed and said that he expected serious archaeologists to be offended by the title - what the fuck did he expect? Taking a serious and noble profession that requires skill and dedication and deciding to give it a moronic name that demeans the whole thing.

I am happy to hear that almost everyone despises the show. wink.gif

Kev W
NiteFall
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 23 2008, 09:02 AM)
You can't get into them through the Roman baths though, can you?

Oh lord no. But they are there.
Raven
That's more what I was getting at, the episode last night made it look like there were multiple entrances to catacombs inside the baths themselves. I suspect the guides are going to have an annoying few weeks straightening out the Beeb's bad history!
Peronel
I'm watching Golden Girls on dvd.

They use the word 'slut' surprisingly often in this show.
ayeyerma
Well Blanche was a slut.... (I'm not sure how you spell her name)

I've just realised that Sex and the City is basically an updated version of the Golden Girls.
logger
I finished watching G.B.H. today and all I can say is it simply is one of the greatest television programmes of all time, anywhere in the world, ever. EVER!!!

It's also good because my surname is in it a lot and my surname is never in anything.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Jul 22 2008, 07:38 AM)
First episode on FX last night and it didn't disappoint!  The opening sequence was hilarious.  The whole episode acted as a re-introduction to where S4 finished and set up and introduced some new characters and situations.  It just felt so "right", the pace, the direction, the dialogue;  I was shouting for more at the end of the episode:  McNulty fans will be pleased to see the return of "bad" McNulty, or so it seems

For those who watched S4, Carcetti's bowls of steaming sh!t are coming thick and fast already.

You ain't lying there, Rich.

I've just got back from Spain (you know why I was there, mate wink.gif ) and the first thing I did when I got in was check that my DVD had recorded it.

It had! There was much rejoicing, then watching. You've got to love a show that refuses to make it easy for the characters by not being realistic. It prevents any kind of lazy writing.

I've just read the little TV guide sky preview for next Monday's. I can't wait!
bigfatrich
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jul 25 2008, 06:53 PM)
You ain't lying there, Rich.

I've just got back from Spain (you know why I was there, mate wink.gif )

Yeah. Hope the operation went well. Apparently, it can be a bit sore for a while wink.gif
Sostie
The Stax Records Story
Excellent documentary about the rise of Stax Records from it's beginnings as a small record shop, it's near collapse, it's rise in the 70's and it's eventual cliched collapse through excess.
Lot's of great footage of the likes of Booker T & The MGs (possibly the greatest, and coolest, "house-band" of all-time) and especially Sam & Dave and Otis Redding on the Stax European tour.
I know what I'll be digging out to listen to this weekend.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 25 2008, 10:25 PM)
The Stax Records Story
Excellent documentary about the rise of Stax Records from it's beginnings as a small record shop, it's near collapse, it's rise in the 70's and it's eventual cliched collapse through excess.
Lot's of great footage of the likes of Booker T & The MGs (possibly the greatest, and coolest, "house-band" of all-time) and especially Sam & Dave and Otis Redding on the Stax European tour.

I just finished watching this aswell, it was brilliant I thought. Booker T and the M.G.s were an excellent band I'd agree. If you want a good slightly obscure Stax track Sostie, get Ain't No Need of Crying by Rance Allen. It's fucking ace and makes me wish I had a lot more soul music to listen to, because I really don't have as much as I'd like.

I'm assuming you have a colossal amount?
Sostie
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 25 2008, 11:30 PM)
I'm assuming you have a colossal amount?

Certainly in double figures. smile.gif

Actually Fopp are (were?) selling year by year compilations at about 3 a pop, and other backcatalog Stax stuff at cheap prices.

You realise the loss of 1 Otis Redding is sadder, for music, than 20 Kurt Cobains
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 25 2008, 11:36 PM)
Actually Fopp are (were?) selling year by year compilations at about 3 a pop, and other backcatalog Stax stuff at cheap prices.

You realise the loss of 1 Otis Redding is sadder, for music, than 20 Kurt Cobains

Wow that's amazing if true. Where is Fopp though? I've never ever seen one or been to one in my life, only heard how amazing it is and seen lots of people carrying hefty bags from there.

Oh yeah without a doubt. Otis Redding is one of the best singers who's ever graced a mic, with vocals and lyrics that are still as potent now as they were 40+ years ago. Every person in the Stax family (for that is in essence what it was) said that he was astonishing in the studio aswell, telling everyone exactly what he wanted for the song and that whatever he suggested was always perfect. Obviously he had the joy of being backed up by an amazing collection of musicians like Booker T, but he really was responsible for that label's emergence.

Cobain was certainly important in terms of influence, but I don't think Nirvana's music is anywhere near as good as that produced by Stax at its zenith with Redding and everyone else. I know that they're totally different genres of music, but I could name many bands who who influenced by Nirvana and are a lot better than they were, whereas I don't know if anyone's ever executed soul as well as Otis Redding.
Sostie
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 25 2008, 11:44 PM)
Wow that's amazing if true. Where is Fopp though? I've never ever seen one or been to one in my life, only heard how amazing it is and seen lots of people carrying hefty bags from there.

Oh yeah without a doubt. Otis Redding is one of the best singers who's ever graced a mic, with vocals and lyrics that are still as potent now as they were 40+ years ago. Every person in the Stax family (for that is in essence what it was) said that he was astonishing in the studio aswell, telling everyone exactly what he wanted for the song and that whatever he suggested was always perfect. Obviously he had the joy of being backed up by an amazing collection of musicians like Booker T, but he really was responsible for that label's emergence.

Cobain was certainly important in terms of influence, but I don't think Nirvana's music is anywhere near as good as that produced by Stax at its zenith with Redding and everyone else. I know that they're totally different genres of music, but I could name many bands who who influenced by Nirvana and are a lot better than they were, whereas I don't know if anyone's ever executed soul as well as Otis Redding.

I used Cobain as an example because, he and many others (Sid Vicious for fucksake) have become such icons, but if they have reached the state where they can't handle living, let alone producing more music, perhaps they didn't, at the time of their deaths have much more to give.

Redding on the other hand died in an accident and I'm sure he would have got even bigger, even better.

The FOPP I go to (the only one in London I think) is on Shaftsbury avenue, near the crossroads where Spamalot is showing. I guarantee your first visit will be like an Alladin's cave.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 26 2008, 12:09 AM)
I used Cobain as an example because, he and many others (Sid Vicious for fucksake) have become such icons, but if they have reached the state where they can't handle living, let alone producing more music, perhaps they didn't, at the time of their deaths have much more to give.

Redding on the other hand died in an accident and I'm sure he would have got even bigger, even better.

It really was a case of someone being taken at their best, as oppose to a Cobain or Vicious (I'm with you on that, why is he an 'icon'?) or even Lennon, since The Beatles had split and Imagine was a big pile of shit in my honest opinion. God knows how Redding could have gotten better, he was already so good, but I guess even having more of the same from him would more than suffice. He was 26 years old, and given that he went from carrying another band's instruments to sensation in a matter of years, who knows what he could have produced given more time.

Life is not fair, as they say.
logger
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 25 2008, 11:25 PM)
The Stax Records Story

I've just watched this.

The line up for the Hammersmith Odeon gig made me laugh. Imagine seeing Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Eddie Floyd and Booker T & the MGs in one night.
Jimmay
Finished Battlestar Galactica Series 3 on Friday and what a series finale!! I now just have Razor to watch and then onto series 4. However, does anyone know what the deal is with season 4 as I'm getting so much mixed information from teh interweb and also don't want to go digging around too much on the BSG thread or other sites for fear of spoilers.

In the meantime I started watching The Wire and episode one was pretty good, lets see where it goes from here.
Sostie
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 28 2008, 10:00 AM)
Finished Battlestar Galactica Series 3 on Friday and what a series finale!! I now just have Razor to watch and then onto series 4.  However, does anyone know what the deal is with season 4 as I'm getting so much mixed information from teh interweb and also don't want to go digging around too much on the BSG thread or other sites for fear of spoilers.

It has been "split" with the second part shown next year. About 12 (I think) episodes were shown as the 1st part of season 4. Oh, and it was all a bit dull.
dandan
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 28 2008, 10:07 AM)
It has been "split" with the second part shown next year.  About 12 (I think) episodes were shown as the 1st part of season 4.  Oh, and it was all a bit dull.

i disagree. i liked it. a welcome return to form after the shoddy second half of the third season...
Jimmay
I've enjoyed it all so far. There's been the odd weak episode here and there but I've watched it in such a short space of time that I probably didn't have time to get bored with it. Maybe if I'd had to wait a week between each episode I would have felt short changed but otherwise I'm a happy chap.

Are there any plans to release the first half of season 4 on DVD in the UK?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.