Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Sostie
Last night I watched the first episode of – “from the creators of Arrested Development” – Running Wilde. Will Arnett plays a spoilt rich son of an oil magnate who tries to woo his environmentalist childhood sweetheart (Keri Russell). I’ve only seen the first episode but it really shows promise. Plus the cast also includes David Cross, and, a real surprise for me, Peter Serafinowicz. Arnett and Serafinowicz on screen together – can you think of anything more aurally fantastic?

QUOTE (dandan @ Sep 28 2010, 09:47 AM) *
i'm about to start watching bored to death - it looks fun; anyone else been watching it?

Looks like another series i need to catch up on
logger
Of course Kenny Powers has a Mexican, midget sidekick.

The second episode of Broadwalk Empire lacked Scorsese's edge. I suppose it was inevitable.

i'm about to start watching bored to death - it looks fun; anyone else been watching it?

Never heard of it but it looks great.
maian
I've not seen it but I've heard really good things.
Sean of the Dead
It's pretty good. The triple threat of Schwartzman, Danson and Galifianakis makes for fun television.
monkeyman
I started watching This is Egland 86 not really caring much about it, just watching when it happened to be on (I haven't seen the film). It was a pretty damn good series. Really need to get round to watching the movie soon.
dandan

i have now watched three episodes and i like it...
Bloomeeney
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Sep 29 2010, 01:11 AM) *
I started watching This is Egland 86 not really caring much about it, just watching when it happened to be on (I haven't seen the film). It was a pretty damn good series. Really need to get round to watching the movie soon.

I was the same, but thought I really should watch the movie first. So Saturday watched it, followed by catch up of first 3 episodes of the series on Sunday. Just need to watch the last ep tonight. It really is very powerful stuff.
It also brought back a lot of memories for me too, as I was roughly the same age growing up at the time - fantastic use of music too!
Zoe
I didn't think that much of the film, it was a minor Meadows for me. Only the styling and the soundtrack really stood out in my memory.

I adored the series and was considerably more affected by it.

Definitely worth catching up on the film. It's very important in understanding some of the characters' motivations (especially Combo).
maian
The film's probably my third favourite Meadows joint (after A Room For Romeo Brass and twentyfourseven) but I thought the series was much better, but I think that's probably because it's building on the foundations of the film. It also helps that television as a medium allows for a broader style of storytelling than a film, so he didn't have to make it solely about Shaun.
Zoe
Huh huh huh

joint
Sostie
For me This Is England '86 is one of the best pieces of British drama I've seen in ages. Certainly one of the best acted. Was very teary eyed by the end. The choice of final song didn't help.

I tries watching Seven Days last night, but gave up due to the amount of camera concious, dull, shallow fucktards that appear in it
logger
QUOTE (dandan @ Sep 29 2010, 08:08 AM) *
i have now watched three episodes and i like it...

I've watched two and think it's alright.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 28 2010, 10:22 AM) *
Arnett and Serafinowicz on screen together – can you think of anything more aurally fantastic?

I really cannot.

I haven't seen This is England 86 but I will.
maian
Arnett and Serafinowicz on screen together – can you think of anything more aurally fantastic?

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Sep 29 2010, 11:28 AM) *
I really cannot.

I can; Arnett, Serafinowicz and Baldwin in a talking like this context.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 29 2010, 12:31 PM) *
I can; Arnett, Serafinowicz and Baldwin in a talking like this context.

Let's throw in Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott and, perhaps, Tom Waits, and take it over the edge.
maian
Can we throw Clancy Brown in for good measure? As himself or Mr. Crabs from Spongebob. Either is good.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 29 2010, 01:22 PM) *
Can we throw Clancy Brown in for good measure? As himself or Mr. Crabs from Spongebob. Either is good.

Why not. It would be wnderful to watch. Though possibly one of the worst radio casts imaginable.
Serafina_Pekkala
Now you are just naming husky-voiced baddies.

Wincott looks pretty rough nowadays- perhaps radio would be best. And Clancy was best in Carnivale and Blue Steel. Sometimes Bigalow can pick 'em.

I don't fancy Waits though. But he is King Gravel.
blackcherry
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Sep 29 2010, 02:44 PM) *
And Clancy was best in Carnivale

I find him quite terrifying in that. It's ages since I've watched that, I may have to get it on DVD again
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (blackcherry @ Sep 29 2010, 03:22 PM) *
I find him quite terrifying in that. It's ages since I've watched that, I may have to get it on DVD again

Both terrifying and charismatic in various degrees - even he was confused.
gulfcoast_highwayman
US Glee:

A smashing episode this week, featuring loads of great Brittney stuff, including the reveal of her last name! She was hotter than hell dacing as Ms. Spears.

Rachel was good too, but I am growing a little tired of her and Finn's on again/off again relationship.
NiteFall
I think that with Linda Hamilton, Lou Ferrigno, Dolph Lundgren, Olivia Munn and the Old Spice guy (Isaiah Mustafa) all appearing in the first 2 episodes of this season Chuck has firmly established it's target audience of uber-geeks.
logger
QUOTE (logger @ Sep 29 2010, 11:13 AM) *
I've watched two and think it's alright.

Episodes 3 + 4 finished it off for me.
dandan
QUOTE (logger @ Sep 29 2010, 11:31 PM) *
Episodes 3 + 4 finished it off for me.

really? i think i liked it more and more as it went on... i have now finished the full season...

i also watched the 2009 avn awards show. not as good a show as 2008, but hilarious all the same. any hoo... the 'interracial release' nominations brought my favourite titles - 'black meats, asian treats' - induced a chuckle, but - 'she only takes diesel' - had me smirking all evening...
Sostie
12 episodes in and it's official. I love Community.
logger
QUOTE (dandan @ Sep 30 2010, 09:08 AM) *
really? i think i liked it more and more as it went on... i have now finished the full season...

Episode 3 did it really, although judging by the Schwartz-Man's hair it was either the pilot or material that was filmed later as filler. It contained one of my most hated comedy tropes, losing an important object in an embarrassing situation and then later having to covertly retrieve it.

Pretty much all of Ted Danson was gold, though.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 30 2010, 09:41 AM) *
12 episodes in and it's official. I love Community.

Wait until you watch the paintballing episode. It's stunning.
dandan
QUOTE (logger @ Sep 30 2010, 10:00 AM) *
Pretty much all of Ted Danson was gold, though.

yeah, danson is king and comes more and more in to it...
widowspider
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 30 2010, 09:35 AM) *
Wait until you watch the paintballing episode. It's stunning.

An episode of epic genius.
Shack
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 29 2010, 10:45 AM) *
For me This Is England '86 is one of the best pieces of British drama I've seen in ages. Certainly one of the best acted. Was very teary eyed by the end. The choice of final song didn't help.

I fell in love with it. It was top top telly.
logger
Last night I watched the first episode of – “from the creators of Arrested Development” – Running Wilde. Will Arnett plays a spoilt rich son of an oil magnate who tries to woo his environmentalist childhood sweetheart (Keri Russell). I’ve only seen the first episode but it really shows promise. Plus the cast also includes David Cross, and, a real surprise for me, Peter Serafinowicz. Arnett and Serafinowicz on screen together – can you think of anything more aurally fantastic?

Watched the first two episodes of this. Serafinowicz and his chest hair steal every scene they are in.
maian
Season 5 of 30 Rock and Season 2 of Community have both got off to terrific starts. Alec Baldwin's performance in the second episode of 30 Rock was particularly good. And Paul Giamatti? Always great,

I've also caught up on the the first few episodes of Terriers, the show created by Ocean's Eleven writer Ted Griffin and run by Shawn Ryan, creator of The Shield, and it's pretty great. It's a detective show in the Rockford Files vein in which two men who are a pair of unlicensed private investigators, solve fairly low-stakes crimes (the first episode revolves initially around them taking a dog from someone who has kidnapped it) in an attempt to just about get by. Very soon they find themselves investigating bigger crimes. It has a nice mix of standalone crimes and a wider-reaching plot arc, but the main thing that distinguishes it are the performances and the dialogue, which give the show an infectious comic energy. It's started very well, and I'd really recommend people check it out.

Also, the new first episode of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret improves nicely on the original pilot. Since it's about two or three minutes shorter - due to the difference between how many adverts are on British and US telly - it's much tighter, and there's less of the breathless, exhaustive feeling to the last ten minutes that the pilot had. Plus, as much as I like Russell Tovey, Blake Harrison fits the tone and speed of the show better.
Shack
X Factor

Eep! It's the judges houses!

I'm not sure why Nicholas Vesta is dressing exactly like I did when I was 11, but the competition seems very even throughout all the categories.

One grumble - "The over 28's are off to Ireland with no idea who their mentor is going to be..."

It's bloody Louis! He's bloody Irish! He's ALWAYS in Ireland!
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Shack @ Oct 2 2010, 07:25 PM) *
One grumble - "The over 28's are off to Ireland with no idea who their mentor is going to be..."

It's bloody Louis! He's bloody Irish! He's ALWAYS in Ireland!

I was thinking the same thing.

Absolutely no-one has impressed me yet. If things don't pick up soon, I think I'll give the live shows a miss this year.

Edit: None of the boys, over 28s or groups have impressed me, but the girls seem to be doing fairly well.

And Katie annoys me so much.
monkeyman
Will-I-Am looks like such a tosser
sweetbutinsane
Out of all the acts, there are only two that I currently like - Rebecca and Gamu. Hmm.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Due to other commitments, I've not seen one episode of the X Factor so far this year. It's highly likely I will be able to wach from now on. Who should I look out for?

And have they started the 'live' shows yet?
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 2 2010, 08:34 PM) *
Will-I-Am looks like such a tosser

And oddly, he is a tosser. His band is shite, he is shite. Fergie probably smells. I hae them all.
Llama
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Oct 2 2010, 07:55 PM) *
And Katie annoys me so much.

A fucking parasol. Seriously?
Atara
She's a dick. I only really like the shy scouse lass. There are just enough okay-ish acts in each category to choose 3 but whether or not they choose them is a different matter.
sweetbutinsane
Fuck you, Cheryl Cole.
monkeyman
Not letting that tubby black dude through was a mistake Danni.

Letting that annoying blonde ass through was a mistake Cheryl.
dandan
'archer' is very funny...
Llama
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Oct 3 2010, 08:51 PM) *
Fuck you, Cheryl Cole.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 3 2010, 08:55 PM) *

All of these things. What the fuck.

Gamu should have gone through in her place.
grumpygit
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 29 2010, 10:45 AM) *

Just watched this, quite brilliant.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 3 2010, 08:55 PM) *

Agreed on both counts.

I was so certain that it was Gamu that was going through and not Katie. I don't think I can watch the live shows now that she's there. It's like John and Edward all over again.
Zoe
No. It's Diana fucking Vickers.

They'll have her barefoot on a swing by week two.
Everlong
Gamu was great. Katie constantly forgets her lines. Bad move, Cheryl.

Zoe

Oh, give her a break.

She's clearly not used to being on camera...

AHEM!
melzilla
Storm's rubbish. Tubby dude should definitely have got in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.