Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Shack @ Jan 4 2011, 09:47 PM) *
Stargazing Live

Mindblowing and accessible. More please.

Yeah! I wish we could see the night sky in London. The persistent amber glow of light pollution and the blood in my eyes from all the stabbings prevent it.
logger
The Bear Family and Me

Awesome. I heart bears.

I want to live in the forest and play with bear cubs too.
maian
Werner Herzog'll be making a film about you guys before too long if you're not careful.
Zoe
chaos, hostility, and murder
logger
I might have to watch the new Camelot show coming to Starz now.

Eva Green is credited as playing Morgan which must be Morgana.
Jimmay
Apparently in Season 2 of Community (which I've only seen the first episode of) there is an episode in which Abed has an entire plot line which occurs in the background of scenes only and is never mentioned by any of the characters. I'm looking forward to seeing if I notice it now and it may be one for a double watch.
logger
I only noticed a couple of shots the first time I saw it, then I rewatched it and noticed it went on throughout the entire episode.
maian
Which episode is that? I'm sure I've seen it, I just can't remember which it is.
Jimmay
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 5 2011, 11:58 AM) *
Which episode is that? I'm sure I've seen it, I just can't remember which it is.

The one where Pierces' Mum dies apparently.
widowspider
I missed that, may have to watch it online and look out for it. By the way, some of the cast and crew of Community did a Q&A for the Paley Center, who have a YouTube channel and put up loads of interesting talks. The Community one is particularly hilarious, not least for Ken Jeong's awesome laugh.

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 4 2011, 11:29 PM) *
Yeah! I wish we could see the night sky in London. The persistent amber glow of light pollution and the blood in my eyes from all the stabbings prevent it.

Same problem over here. When we were driving through West Virginia at night, I could not believe how many stars I could see. In NYC you're lucky to see more than a handful.
Shack
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 4 2011, 10:29 PM) *

Move to the country, man...

Although here in Yorkshire my eyes are full of whippet hair and the mithering invective of old duffers.
melzilla
Stargazing Live

Mindblowing and accessible. More please.

I love Professor Coxy! (and I'm incredibly jealous of Liz Bonnin. I'd love to go to Hawaii more than anywhere evahh!) This show should seriously be on all the time.
Raven
^ Yep, it has been very good. Dara is surprisingly knowledgeable, he's not just the token celeb asking dumb questions.

(I can't see the sky for all the grass cuttings and toasted tea cakes).
Llama
In case anyone's interested but missed the trailers, there's a Penn and Teller one-off on ITV in five minutes! Looking forward to it over here, even if it doesn't sound like that strong an idea - it's P&T on UK TV.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I really enjoyed the Penn & Teller show. It's good to see magic back on TV in an interesting way (look and learn Beeb!).

logger
It was good and really weird to see on ITV.
Llama
I enjoyed it, but I think it should have been which act they were most impressed with that won - I thought the first act was by far the best (and would have probably been received the best in a big Vegas show), and they even said they'd never seen anyone do it, but it didn't get through just because they'd read about it before. Best bits were obviously P&T's performances though.
Julie
I discovered The Inbetweeners on my way from Toronto to LAX the other day. I unexpectedly spent about two hours laughing out loud, much to the chagrin of the fancy man next to me.
Outatime
QUOTE (Llama @ Jan 8 2011, 07:20 PM) *
I enjoyed it, but I think it should have been which act they were most impressed with that won - I thought the first act was by far the best (and would have probably been received the best in a big Vegas show), and they even said they'd never seen anyone do it, but it didn't get through just because they'd read about it before. Best bits were obviously P&T's performances though.

I didn't like the guy with the envelopes and I thought when they were fooled it fell a bit flat. I still regret not going to see Penn and Teller when we were in Vegas because the bits with their tricks were amazing.
Llama
QUOTE (Outatime @ Jan 9 2011, 04:36 PM) *
I didn't like the guy with the envelopes and I thought when they were fooled it fell a bit flat. I still regret not going to see Penn and Teller when we were in Vegas because the bits with their tricks were amazing.

I didn't like him either, and I can't imagine people coming to see a Penn and Teller show would exactly enjoy seeing that beforehand. I'm gutted I didn't get tickets for their London show last year, I was all ready to buy them but had to wait to hear back from my friend on whether he could go or not and by the time he'd replied they'd pretty much sold out. First time they've been here in 16 years as well sad.gif
NiteFall
QUOTE (Llama @ Jan 8 2011, 07:20 PM) *

Yeah, but the reason why they'd heard of it, but never seen it performed is because it was a variation on what is literally the oldest trick in the book. The world's oldest recorded magic trick involved the decapitation of and re-attachment of birds heads and it is technically an extremely easy trick to do the trick is performed by tucking the birds head under it's wing, which causes it to fall asleep, while you tuck the head under you substitute in a prop head the only real magic involved is some rather simple sleight of hand, made even simpler by the collars he put over the birds heads. I would say that yes, while his presentation was impeccable the actual skills on display weren't exceptional by any stretch. Although the switch-reveal at the end was a neat twist.
Zoe
I really recommend 'The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse' on iPlayer.

It's an incredible look into a unique archive, which tells the story of one man's life, and the history of British TV & radio.

Bob's on-air reaction to be fired from The Golden Shot is... extraordinary. Has anyone seen Knowing me Knowing Yule, when Alan finds our he doesn't have a second series because of his blatant product placement...?
Rua
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 9 2011, 11:26 PM) *
Bob's on-air reaction to be fired from The Golden Shot is... extraordinary. Has anyone seen Knowing me Knowing Yule, when Alan finds our he doesn't have a second series because of his blatant product placement...?

Really?

Now, I am going to watch.
Zoe
Bob was fired for product placement, though there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it. His behaviour on the final show, along with what he'd been sacked for, does suggest Coogan et al were inspired by true events. Who knows? It could just be a coincidence. Either way it's brilliant.

They even bring on the new presenter at the end. So cruel.

EDIT: I should add he's not sacked on air - but he makes sure everyone knows about it.
Llama
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 9 2011, 08:37 PM) *
Although the switch-reveal at the end was a neat twist.

That was the bit I was impressed by though, not the decapitations. We've all seen that before.
logger
I liked what I saw of Episodes.
Outatime
Me too, but I was disappointed by Glee.
PrincessKate
Rachel is even worse, this series.

New Snog, Marry Avoid is on. It's all northern.
Shack
QUOTE (logger @ Jan 11 2011, 08:31 AM) *
I liked what I saw of Episodes.

It was a promising start wasn't it?

I liked the American casting team A LOT.

And saucy Greig. Naturally. She's phwoargeous.
Everlong
Watched it last night myself.

Could turn out to be a good little series. Greig and Mangan were good, and I quite liked the supporting cast (was amused by the faces Daisy Haggard was pulling throughout). Surprising lack of LeBlanc but I suppose he'll be in it a lot now.
Zoe
terrible reviews put me off - I shall reconsider as I trust you lot more than them
empathy-with-beast
I watch The Pacific boxed set over christmas and it left me curiously cold. It is always going to get compared to Band of Brothers, which is a pretty tall order to follow but nonetheless it was ditinctly underwhelming. It suffers from two probelms: firstly a fractured ensemble cast that means that a narrative flow is hard to maintain. Secondly a sense of what this story is meant to be about. In BoB each episode had a name, "Points" or "why we fight" or whatever that indicated that someone had thought about what each episode actually meant: some sort of thematic or narrative concept. The episodes of Pacific are just numbered, and it does feel to one degree or another that they lack a satisfying through line or idea behind them.

Fundamentally you have to ask the question what does this tell us about this thing that happened? I don't know if The Pacific has any real insight into this. There is no It's been a long war its been a hard war" speech, there's no bit where the guy yells at the Germans from the back of the truck....often its just an awful lot about what happened in the battles which degenerates into lots of bang bang bang.
logger
I faded out about half way through the first episode.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 12 2011, 01:04 PM) *
Fundamentally you have to ask the question what does this tell us about this thing that happened? I don't know if The Pacific has any real insight into this. There is no It's been a long war its been a hard war" speech, there's no bit where the guy yells at the Germans from the back of the truck....often its just an awful lot about what happened in the battles which degenerates into lots of bang bang bang.

True. I've not seen much of Pacific but the lack of noticeable characters and relationships was a massive disappointment. I think of any series to NOT do this - yet compare themselves to BoB - is setting up for a fall. It's just so profoundly arrogant. "It's about soldiers and war in them days so it must be the same". Such sentiments do not dice with this fraulein.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 12 2011, 03:00 PM) *
True. I've not seen much of Pacific but the lack of noticeable characters and relationships was a massive disappointment. I think of any series to NOT do this - yet compare themselves to BoB - is setting up for a fall. It's just so profoundly arrogant. "It's about soldiers and war in them days so it must be the same". [b]Such sentiments do not dice with this fraulein.[/b]

Love you...
empathy-with-beast
Also I think its a mistake to make a film about a war that was fought largely at night have quite so much combat in it. Its just lots and lots of shadowy dashing about.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Shack @ Jan 11 2011, 10:31 PM) *
It was a promising start wasn't it?

I liked the American casting team A LOT.

And saucy Greig. Naturally. She's phwoargeous.

I didn't really like it. The two leads looked uncomfortable and there were sections which seemed to loose pace and humour.

I do find Daisy Haggard attractive though.
Raven
I just tried watching Film 2011, but The Winkleman both scared and annoyed me so I turned off.
Zoe
It really made me want to see Blue Valentine, and not just for the full frontals.
Raven
^ I didn't get that far.
Zoe
I have to admit, it was hard to stick with it after her casual dismissal of 'The Green Lantern'.

It may well be shit, but Winkleman's opinion certainly isn't going to influence my decision to see it. Who the hell thought we'd care about her opinion?

I'm surprised she can see any films with her eyes painted shut like that...
Raven
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 12 2011, 11:59 PM) *
I have to admit, it was hard to stick with it after her casual dismissal of 'The Green Lantern'.

Good or bad, to my mind she seemed to be dismissing it in a "comic books are for kids" kind of way.
Zoe
She's an idiot.
Bloomeeney
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 13 2011, 12:09 AM) *
She's an idiot.

Still would though.....
Jimmay
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 12 2011, 04:12 PM) *
Also I think its a mistake to make a film about a war that was fought largely at night have quite so much combat in it. Its just lots and lots of shadowy dashing about.

I actually signed up for SkyHD and Sky Movies especially for this as I was really excited about it but found I had to force myself to sit down and watch it towards the end. The fact that after capturing each island they would then have an episode or two of heading back to base and the fact that the three main characters were in three completely different locations meant that there didn't really feel like there was that they were in that much peril. In BoB, the fact they were dropped into the middle of the enemy and had no chance of escape combined with the fact all the characters were together or at least at the same location meant it was easier to keep track of and care but the disjointed nature combined with hours worth of episodes in which not a lot happened to characters I cared nothing about made the whole thing a chore to get through. Very disappointing.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Jan 13 2011, 09:39 AM) *
Still would though.....

Me too, but only as part of my ongoing scheme to get to her half-sister.
Raven
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Jan 13 2011, 09:39 AM) *
Still would though.....

QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 13 2011, 10:39 AM) *
Me too

You both need help . . .
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 13 2011, 12:09 AM) *
She's an idiot.

I used to like her but now she keeps telling us her opinion, I'm going off.
Everlong
I heart her sister.
Bloomeeney
Call me a big ninny, but never realised Big Suze was the Winks half-sister!

Is it ok to have both?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.