Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Jimmay
My Mum's friend doesn't mind the term black but prefers to be called coloured as it reminds her of rainbows which are ace. She is awesome.
widowspider
^HA. She wins.

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 12 2011, 02:58 PM) *
Someone makes a very good point in this article about how in the US people are African-American or Irish-American or whatever, but over here people are just British, with very few groups referring to themselves as being a particular racial group. I do think of myself as being British, and find it qite strange that people would think of me as being Japanese-British, or British-Japanese. Although I do quite like the terms "Eurasian" or (my personal favourite) "Japlish". laugh.gif

That's true - I wouldn't think of you as Japanese-British, but I have a lot of Japanese-American friends in the States.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 12 2011, 03:12 PM) *
My Mum's friend doesn't mind the term black but prefers to be called coloured as it reminds her of rainbows which are ace. She is awesome.

I know tons of people here in Scotland who still say "coloured" without the awareness.

Americans hyphenate because their country is only 200 and a bit years old. Some people want more depth to their lineage. And because everyone is different in orgins. I really don't see a problem per se but it is odd when people cherry-pick their forebears in terms of preference or cool. Like Martin Sheen - who is mostly Mexican. Ironic that his son Carlos criticised some dude for sounding less Jewish. Or my 'Irish' cousins who are half Hungarian.

Most Brits don't need to hyphenate because our population is very homogenous. The comparison will never work because we have mostly been on this damp island for many centuries.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 12 2011, 02:37 PM) *
I know tons of people here in Scotland who still say "coloured" without the awareness.

Americans hyphenate because their country is only 200 and a bit years old. Some people want more depth to their lineage. And because everyone is different in orgins. I really don't see a problem per se but it is odd when people cherry-pick their forebears in terms of preference or cool. Like Martin Sheen - who is mostly Mexican. Ironic that his son Carlos criticised some dude for sounding less Jewish. Or my 'Irish' cousins who are half Hungarian.

Most Brits don't need to hyphenate because our population is very homogenous. The comparison will never work because we have mostly been on this damp island for many centuries.

I can legitimately say that I am English-Maltese and can (and have in the past) have dual nationality but I never bother with it. I've lived here all my life, I don't speak Maltese and don't have a Maltese passport so it doesn't really matter. The thing that did used to annoy me though is that at times my Dad was officially described as a "Non-Visible Ethnic" and as such was not subject to the same discrimination rights and protection as "them obvious looking ones." I always found it bizarre.
Serafina_Pekkala
There is also a difference in the UK when growing up in a large immigrant community or not. I would say there is probably a greater connection to the old country that way. Sometimes it matters to people when there are too many foreigns all together being foreign and one happens to be connected to them. My mum - born and raised here to Irish parents in a strong community - was not considered 'English enough' to many people as a result and suffered bigotry.
Julie
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 12 2011, 09:57 AM) *
I have heard both terms as preferred - depending on what someone calls oneself. One friend of mine calls herself Black American because she does not see Black as a negative word and her family left Africa a long time ago. But others see differently and wish to be attached to a place of heritage even if it is loose and inaccurate to others. But it is a very tricky area politically - especially in the US. Can of worms springs to mind. Especially if you don't know the term 'white privilege'.

I'm fascinated by how uncomfortable the term 'black' seems to make people here. Someone was asking where one of the nurses was, and I didn't recognize her name, so I asked 'the tall, black nurse with the dreads?' and the other person visibly flinched. \

It also seems to make my friend Kristy extremely uncomfortable when I describe people as brown, even though that's generally a well-accepted word in Toronto. She doesn't seem to realize she's a tad racist, though, so I don't feel so bad.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Julie @ Oct 12 2011, 04:34 PM) *
I'm fascinated by how uncomfortable the term 'black' seems to make people here. Someone was asking where one of the nurses was, and I didn't recognize her name, so I asked 'the tall, black nurse with the dreads?' and the other person visibly flinched. \

Was the other person white?
Silky

It also seems to make my friend Kristy extremely uncomfortable when I describe people as brown, even though that's generally a well-accepted word in Toronto. She doesn't seem to realize she's a tad racist, though, so I don't feel so bad.

I used to work with a guy called Kevin, who happened to be black. People that wanted to talk to him would go to ridiculous lengths to avoid saying "black" though.
"I spoke to a guy the other day, he was really tall. Hurt his leg playing football years ago?"
"Was he black?"
"Yes."
"That's Kevin."

It was ridiculous. He had no problem with the word. He would often be the first to use it. I'm sure it's different in the States, I'm just not sure why.
widowspider
Cultural differences - the term 'blacks' was somewhat synonymous with other, less polite words a few decades back. It was used as a derogatory term.

Yeah, especially down south (and Virginia in this instance is definitely included) it might make a few people twitchy.

Brown is a pretty common term in NY as well as far as I am aware, mainly because this city is over 40% Hispanic. Although the gangsta Spanish teenagers with their jeans falling down love to throw the n-word into every sentence.
Julie
For us, brown is the standard, even fond description of anyone of southeast Asian descent. Find Russell Peters on YouTube. He does a great job with race humor, even if it is his only gag.
Everlong
A clip from Holy Flying Circus, coming soon. Uncanny Palin and Cleese voices.
Llama
QUOTE (Everlong @ Oct 12 2011, 10:45 PM) *
A clip from Holy Flying Circus, coming soon. Uncanny Palin and Cleese voices.

Wow, go Darren Boyd. That's great.
widowspider
Wow, their voices are amazing! Just good enough without being bad impersonations. That's impressive.
Serafina_Pekkala
Yeah - it is Rhys Ifans as Peter Cook good. God bless BBC4.
logger
Just as I was weighing up whether I'd bother with the rest of the second season of Walking Dead, the kid gets shot. I hope he dies. I hope they all die, they're all so annoying, but I hope he dies most, he's the most annoying.
monkeyman
QUOTE (widowspider @ Oct 12 2011, 02:50 PM) *
It's the term that black people in the US prefer to use, so I have no problem with it. For many of them, it is an empowering term and using the word 'black' has much more negative connotation. I have to be careful and remember that.

The first part of This page pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. Though of course I should have specified if people want to identify themselves as African-American it doesn't bother me, it's just the weird presumption that bothers me.
I'm not affected either way, not being black or in America I've just always found it odd. So yeah, I think it'd be more accurate to say I find it odd, rather than it bothers me.
PrincessKate
Wasn't Lorraine Kelly lovely on Buzzcocks last night?
GundamGuy_UK
The Walking Dead was bloody good. What a cliffhanger!
Serafina_Pekkala
I had to stop watching Our Friends in the North because of the terrible wigs and the aging make-up despite the great story and performances. It had Rita's dad from Rita, Sue and Bob Too playing the best drunk ever captured on screen. Again.

Why Daniel Craig suddenly became the sex around 2000 is puzzling. He was quite a spud-faced fellow in this.
Rebus
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 19 2011, 08:38 AM) *
The Walking Dead was bloody good. What a cliffhanger!

Funny, I thought the complete opposite. It picked up right where it left off in being absolutely terrible. The makeup is really impressive and ...that's it. I'm constantly rooting for the zombies and will continue to be disappointed that they are not ripping all of these painfully annoying people to shreds.

Are the writers allergic to writing half-decent female characters, or is it simply laziness that means every iota of emotion is crammed into all the women rather than the men? It leaves them looking like irrational psychos who one minute are furious someone tried to drunkenly screw them, and then furious the next minute when that person tries to stay out of their way.
logger
They do seem to be extracting the maximum amount of cheesiness possible from every scene. I also ended up thinking that the longer it goes on the more it makes you think about just how stupid the idea of zombies is.

In other news, this Monty Python thing is very, very bad. BBC I am disappoint.
Outatime
The Kid's Speech was just heartbreaking at times. It followed three kids and their parents going on the two week course at the Michael Palin Centre for Stammering Children, hearing the parents talk about their child's stammer as well as seeing the kids going through therapy and making real progress was really interesting. If anyone missed it I'm sure it's on iPlayer.
logger
I liked Stan becoming an alcoholic in South Park, just to cope with how shitty everything is. That's how it happens.
Zoe
Wow! Holy Flying Circus was great, eh? Nice to see people I know (Rufus & Phil) and new faces (PALIN - WOOF!) all being brilliant. Tom Price and Darren Boyd were excellent, but I think Rufus stole the show. Palin was unbelievably loveable, which is only right.

Tony Roche's script was clever, funny and thought provoking, and I hope the Pythons watched it. Despite their reservations they should be very happy that the idiosyncratic tone and fourth wall breaking that set their sketch comedy apart was also present here.

A proper Wednesday night treat.

I wouldn't be surprised if getting his nob out was in Phil's contract.

Also please watch the actual televised debate between Cleese & Palin and Malcolm Muggeridge & the bishop of Southwark moderated by Tim Rice (!?), which was shown after Holy Flying Circus. It's fascinating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016b...turday_Morning/
logger
Manny, your mum's eyes are a little higher up.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 20 2011, 11:08 AM) *
Wow! Holy Flying Circus was great, eh? Nice to see people I know (Rufus & Phil) and new faces (PALIN - WOOF!) all being brilliant. Tom Price and Darren Boyd were excellent, but I think Rufus stole the show. Palin was unbelievably loveable, which is only right.

Tony Roche's script was clever, funny and thought provoking, and I hope the Pythons watched it. Despite their reservations they should be very happy that the idiosyncratic tone and fourth wall breaking that set their sketch comedy apart was also present here.

A proper Wednesday night treat.

I wouldn't be surprised if getting his nob out was in Phil's contract.

Also please watch the actual televised debate between Cleese & Palin and Malcolm Muggeridge & the bishop of Southwark moderated by Tim Rice (!?), which was shown after Holy Flying Circus. It's fascinating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016b...turday_Morning/

I did mostly enjoy this, despite some bits not working (the dancing in the bbc4 office was too much for me) - there was always a good gag or clever bit around the corner though. Plus Rufus Jones did some wonderful funny faces.

Couldn't they just have got Matt Berry for the producer role though?

I did watch a bit of the interview afterwards, which I'd never seen before. Interesting stuff and I'll definitely have to check it all out on the iPlayer. I thought the Tim Rice thing was a joke at first when he appeared in the show.

The seventies were a strange time.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 20 2011, 12:17 PM) *
Manny, your mum's eyes are a little higher up.

If you mean this weeks US ep, I agree. I felt for certain there was some gag coming. He was treating himself to a right eyeful!

The bit where his 'weighted helemt' made him smash his head into the wall made me LOL loads.

And in 'Holy Flying Circus', when Mark Heap appeared and was the other bloke said to him 'It's about 'The Life Of Brian'!', I was disappointed that a familar montage didn't immediately follow......
logger
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Oct 20 2011, 05:13 PM) *
If you mean this weeks US ep, I agree. I felt for certain there was some gag coming. He was treating himself to a right eyeful!

To be fair, if Sofia Vergara was leaning down to talk to me in that top I would have trouble maintaining eye contact.
Ade
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 19 2011, 09:22 PM) *
In other news, this Monty Python thing is very, very bad. BBC I am disappoint.

I really enjoyed it, to be honest. It took a little while getting going, but I really got into it. Darren Boyd was excellent as Cleese, and though much of the story was focused on he and Michael Palin, 'Terry Jones' was also given a decent chunk of the spotlight, doubly so as 'Mrs Palin' (which of itself prompted many laugh out loud moments, as it happens). But all of the Python team, with maybe the exception of Terry Gilliam, were all round were pretty damn spot on. I will say that some of the persistent jibes at Eric Idle's expense seemed a little overly one-sided, but it was all done in the spirit of the Pythons' style, which worked really well I thought. Damn fine show.

All in all, it has at the very least, renewed my love of the Pythons' oeuvre, and also prompted me to watch the original Friday Night, Saturday Morning broadcast on iPlayer.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 20 2011, 05:58 PM) *
I will say that some of the persistent jibes at Eric Idle's expense seemed a little overly one-sided, but it was all done in the spirit of the Pythons' style, which worked really well I thought.

To be fair Eric Idle was (and is) a money grabbing bastard. I do still love him though, because he wrote such great songs.

Terry Jones liked it, according to his twitterfeed:

Loved "Holy Flying Circus". Brilliant! But why did Rufus Jones look more like me when he was playing Helen Palin!
Jimmay
Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. (Holy Flying Circus that is.) As a fan of Life of Brian since before I really should have watched it (thanks to a Dad who knew the film so well he could hit the mute button at every swear word to protect my little ears) and also familiar with the interview in question I was really looking forward to it. I'm really glad I wasn't disappointed and, with the exception of Gilliam, there were many occasions when I forgot it wasn't the actual Python crowd. However, that may just be because Gilliam was rarely in front of the camera so I'm just not as familiar with him, it may have been a perfect take on him. Everyone was pretty much spot on throughout. Stand out scene for me was the Palin-Cleese exchange in Palin's study where Cleese insulted his wife and her soup. That whole scene had me laughing out loud throughout.

Great stuff.
Everlong
Just watched it. Fantastic stuff. I was expecting it to be good, and funny, but this exceeded expectations.

I also didn't expect them to have the funny cutaways and fantasy sequences a-la Python. Was a nice surprise. Loved the bit where Palin was being terrorised by Jesus and ran off into a black void.

And both scenes where Cleese and Palin were arguing at Palin's house were brilliant. Darren Boyd (prolific at the mo, in this, Spy, and Dirk Gently!) and Charles Edwards were the best. Rufus Jones as Terry Jones and Mrs Palin was great too.

I had a smile on my face for a LOT of this.

Gonna watch Friday Night, Saturday Morning tomorrow night (Friday night, heh).
Sean of the Dead
I've watched it twice today. It was wicks, yo, no doubting.
Llama
I did very much enjoy the "Will you sign my petition?" exchange.
Serafina_Pekkala
I need to see this now!
widowspider
Me too! Will have to look for it on all my law-breaking sites. wink.gif
logger
Got bored with Derren Brown so I used the interents to see what happened. Glad I'm not the only person who finds the idea of assassinating Stephen Fry funny. And of course he was going to do it, just look at him, he's the kind of dick that would go along with it just to be on telly.
Ade
QUOTE (Llama @ Oct 21 2011, 08:14 AM) *
I did very much enjoy the "Will you sign my petition?" exchange.

"Why nooooot?"

Teehee. I particularly enjoyed that bit too. I think it deserves another viewing.
Outatime
I gave up half an hour into Holy Flying Circus, it just didn't work for me. I didn't like the attempt to make it like an episode of Monty Python and most of the performances came across as bad impressions to me.
Shack
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Sep 19 2011, 11:26 AM) *
You will develop a mancrush on Troels Hartmann. He is very slinky and feline.

I have, although it's as yet unexplained. Perhaps it's the long fingers.

I'm overly smitten with his assistant, the Danish Gillian Anderson. She can check my rating in the polls etc etc...
logger
QUOTE (Outatime @ Oct 22 2011, 07:08 PM) *
I gave up half an hour into Holy Flying Circus, it just didn't work for me. I didn't like the attempt to make it like an episode of Monty Python and most of the performances came across as bad impressions to me.

PrincessKate
The bloke playing Alan Dick/Desmond the Tourette's sufferer looked really familiar. Why?
Because it's Sir Gadabout!
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Shack @ Oct 22 2011, 07:18 PM) *
I have, although it's as yet unexplained. Perhaps it's the long fingers.

I'm overly smitten with his assistant, the Danish Gillian Anderson. She can check my rating in the polls etc etc...

There is something suspect about her too which makes her seem extra sneaky. She also says the name Troels in that peculiarly Danish rolling way.

And he has long fingers, doesn't he? And it is really funny that she is very small and Troels is very tall.
logger
I know from the things he says that Stephen Merchant absolutely loves a bit of poverty tourism but it would be better if they left it out of An Idiot Abroad.
Sean of the Dead
So, obviously Spooks hasn't actually been good in years (by which I mean, since that one series I watched it when I was 15 or something) and this series has been occasionally unintentionally hilarious, but Nicola Walker is an outstanding actress and made nearly every ridiculous thing utterly convincing. Despite having so little emotional investment in the show, her death did cause me tear up a little. Thank God for my housemate taking the piss out of it as we watched or I would have actually cried at Spooks.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Oct 23 2011, 10:13 PM) *
So, obviously Spooks hasn't actually been good in years (by which I mean, since that one series I watched it when I was 15 or something) and this series has been occasionally unintentionally hilarious, but Nicola Walker is an outstanding actress and made nearly every ridiculous thing utterly convincing. Despite having so little emotional investment in the show, her death did cause me tear up a little. Thank God for my housemate taking the piss out of it as we watched or I would have actually cried at Spooks.

She was a good thing but they brought her back on a silly premise a while back. So I was very much meh about Ruth. The show was entertaining nonsense back in the day with Hugh Laurie and Jenny Agutter. Roz was also brilliant but that is about it. It was preposterous at the best times. One entire series was basically filmed on the premise of "Richard Armitage takes his clothes off to show his Russian prison tatts". I don't mind that but they need other things too like plots and decent acting.
Sostie
Anyone else watching Mark Cousins The Story Of Film? I have yet to watch an episode where Cousins' voice hasn't sent me to sleep. It does have some good clips (the tracking shot in I Am Cuba is stunning) but some are accompanied with some pretentious explanations which I can only describe as "bollocks". The series is genaral interesting but the lack of coverage of commercial cinema is very irritating.

Also loving Educating Essex. Teachers rule! Brilliant stuff.
logger
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 24 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Anyone else watching Mark Cousins The Story Of Film? I have yet to watch an episode where Cousins' voice hasn't sent me to sleep.

Tried watching the first episode but he's just so annoying. I never liked him when he did Moviedrome.
Serafina_Pekkala
He has a very pretentious turn of phrase and that monotone accent is sleep inducing. He is like Tom 'tortoise' Paulin from Late Review but worse.
Sostie
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 24 2011, 03:18 PM) *
He has a very pretentious turn of phrase and that monotone accent is sleep inducing. He is like Tom 'tortoise' Paulin from Late Review but worse.

He also seems to suffer from the Interrogative Inflection
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.