Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crystal Bucket
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134
Outatime
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 3 2008, 02:34 PM) *
I'm about half way through the second series of Twin Peaks

Do you have it on DVD? Do you have the Gold Version? Is it good?
logger
I downloaderised it. I don't see any reasons why the gold version wouldn't be any good, certainly better quality than the episodes I have. I think I'll have to get it once I get the other things I have to get first.
Outatime
The problem is I own series 1 already so don't know if it's worth buying the special edition.
sweetbutinsane
Ugly Betty is getting more and more dramatic each week...
Shack
Is Hole in the Wall the best television series I've ever seen?

I think it might be. If only they'd condense it as suggested in The Guide today so that it was just celebrities making shapes and no chatting.

You've Been Framed took out the waffle years ago and that has become the show I never thought it could, 100% pure gold.
Atara
I bet the original Japanese Hole in the Wall was so much more fun though
Shack
QUOTE (Atara @ Oct 4 2008, 10:49 PM) *
I bet the original Japanese Hole in the Wall was so much more fun though

I'd like to see the odd offensive shape stuck in there.

Well Anton, you've got to make the shape of Hitler. BRING ON THE WALL!!!!
logger
QUOTE (Outatime @ Oct 3 2008, 09:45 PM) *
The problem is I own series 1 already so don't know if it's worth buying the special edition.

I was just wondering if you had seen the second series before and if you were asking on the quality of the boxset or the quality of the show. Famously the show does go downhill a bit as the second series goes on as the execs give us more of the ingredients they think we want but don't bother to implement or blend them together very well.
sweetbutinsane
Just watched half of Jane Eyre (1996) on ITV 3. It was quite good, but I couldn't understand what Jane saw in Mr. Rochester...
grumpygit
The Black Hole (1979) - What a strange ending!
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Oct 5 2008, 05:46 PM) *
Just watched half of Jane Eyre (1996) on ITV 3. It was quite good, but I couldn't understand what Jane saw in Mr. Rochester...

Big knob?
Zoe
Big doors.

What Jane sees in Rochester? Jane Eyre is one of the least attractive characters in literature, both physically and by being a pious, self-righteous bore.

Rochester is a grumpy sex-pot with a heart of gold.
maian
Caught up with the first episode of Breaking Bad this weekend and I liked it a lot. I love Bryan Cranston and he's perfectly cast as a chemistry teacher who, after discovering he has inoperable lung cancer, decides to cook crystal meth as a means of getting enough money to support his family after he dies. The pilot managed to deftly balanced the anarchic sense of fun one would expect from the premise, complete with cooking meths in nothing but his underwear, run-ins with rival drug dealers and potentially fatal misunderstandings, as well as the more poignant aspect of a man coming to terms with his mortality and trying to tackle it on his own terms.

Cranston is really terrific and carries the show completely, reining in the Hal-isms except for the last five minutes, though that could be forgiven since it was at that point he did seem to be faced with an impossible choice. I can see this being a really good show.

I also watched Recount, which made me laugh, cry and apoplectic with rage several times over the course of two hours. The story of the contested 2000 Presidential race is well-known by this point, so I wasn't sure if the film would be able to breathe life into a story I already knew the ending of and which would seem to be pretty dry. In the end, though, it was a compelling piece of television as each step of the process was presented in great detail but with a lightness of touch that prevented it getting bogged down or becoming dull.

I think that this is at least partly because the film tries to be as non-partisan about the issue as possible. Not completely, of course, since it makes more dramatic sense to favour the Democrats, being the underdogs in the fight, but it doesn't fall down on either side of the ''Gore/Bush won'' debate. Instead, it takes as its central argument the idea that every vote counts and should have been counted, so that the greatest tragedy of the election was not who the winner was, but that the decision was reached through such an undemocratic way, highlighting how partisanship (Katherine Harris, who would ultimately decide who Florida was called for in the election, was not only a Republican but was co-chair of Bush's campaign in Florida and had a Republican lobbyist in the room with her throughout her deliberations, something that represented something of a conflict of interests), intimidation (one recount was stopped after Bush supporters protested outside of the counting room), semantic arguments over chad and underhanded tactics from both sides ultimately determined the election.

It's been said a lot, but what a cast! Kevin Spacey, Denis Leary, Laura Dern (great as Harris, though I couldn't help but think that she seemed to be doing a Jerri Blank impression), John Hurt, Tom Wilkinson, Ed Begley Jr. and a host of others delivery top performances and, combined with Danny Strong's excellent script, really bring the events to life.

Hell of an achievement from the guy who directed the Austin Powers' films.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 5 2008, 01:45 PM) *
Laura Dern (great as Harris, though I couldn't help but think that she seemed to be doing a Jerri Blank impression)

That's exactly why it's so great, though... the real Katherine Harris very frequently seems to lapse in to Jerri Blank impressions. Annoyed as hell she didn't win the Emmy!
Sostie
Send your sitcom ideas to BBC3 now! I've just seen Coming Of Age and if that can be made anything can. Ditto, anyone who has some shitty theme tunes they want to sell.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 6 2008, 10:04 PM) *
Send your sitcom ideas to BBC3 now! I've just seen Coming Of Age and if that can be made anything can. Ditto, anyone who has some shitty theme tunes they want to sell.

I saw about two minutes at the end. It made Two Pints look like Fawlty Towers.

Unspeakably bad. Really, really, really awful.
Rua
Coming Of Age

It really was beyond belief.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Oct 7 2008, 02:42 PM) *
I saw about two minutes at the end. It made Two Pints look like Fawlty Towers.

Unspeakably bad. Really, really, really awful.
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 7 2008, 02:44 PM) *
It really was beyond belief.

I did warn you...

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Sep 25 2008, 10:04 PM) *
it's worse than stubbing your toe on a shark wearing a suit of knives.
omni
The American remake of Life on Mars premieres Thursday. I'll watch it just to see how far off the mark they are.
thirtyhelens
^ I know, for all the despairing I did early on, I kind of feel like I have to take a peek given that my #1 reason for dread (David E. Kelley) is no longer a major player on it.

BTW, in case anyone's curious... cast mugshots:

Sam:

Gene:

Ray:

Annie:

Chris:
omni
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Oct 7 2008, 12:26 PM) *
^ I know, for all the despairing I did early on, I kind of feel like I have to take a peek given that my #1 reason for dread (David E. Kelley) is no longer a major player on it.

I remember reading an article a looooooooooooooooooooooong while ago that Colm Meaney was supposed to play Gene, and the series was supposed to be set in LA. I think they actually filmed a pilot with Colm in it didn't they?
widowspider
QUOTE (omni @ Oct 7 2008, 06:30 PM) *
I remember reading an article a looooooooooooooooooooooong while ago that Colm Meaney was supposed to play Gene, and the series was supposed to be set in LA. I think they actually filmed a pilot with Colm in it didn't they?

Yeah - I think the test screenings may have prompted them to rethink it. I'll be in the UK but I'm going to set it to record as I'm a little curious. At best, it'll be a fun show, at worst a cheap imitation. I don't think it can really recreate the magic the original, but I hope it will be enjoyable.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 5 2008, 08:16 PM) *
Big doors.

What Jane sees in Rochester? Jane Eyre is one of the least attractive characters in literature, both physically and by being a pious, self-righteous bore.

Rochester is a grumpy sex-pot with a heart of gold.

I'm a strange one as I ended up quite liking Jane and not thinking much of Mr Rochester. laugh.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (widowspider @ Oct 7 2008, 08:06 PM) *
Yeah - I think the test screenings may have prompted them to rethink it. I'll be in the UK but I'm going to set it to record as I'm a little curious. At best, it'll be a fun show, at worst a cheap imitation. I don't think it can really recreate the magic the original, but I hope it will be enjoyable.

I'm curious to see who picks this up in the UK - the natural choice would be the Beeb, but I can't see it. FX, perhaps?
omni
QUOTE (widowspider @ Oct 7 2008, 03:06 PM) *

Ok so it wasn't that long ago. They changed the whole damn cast!!

Yikes.
Jimmay
Ditto, anyone who has some shitty theme tunes they want to sell.

I was just talking to my sister and she was telling me that a really good friend of mine has written the theme tune for an unbelievably shit new BBC3 sitcom. Just checked on the iPlayer and that's Susie's band alright!

She apparently did it as a joke as she heard that some producers were looking for theme song for a sitcom with a shit premise so she did a shit stupid song but unfortunately the producers loved it. She's really really embarrassed about it now though as you can expect and its such a shame because they are genuinely a fantastic band.
Sostie
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 8 2008, 10:51 PM) *
its such a shame because they are genuinely a fantastic band.

What are they called?
Raven
Has anyone else seen Sanctuary on ITV4?

Amanda Tapping with black hair, doing an English accent, is just plain weird to watch after ten years of Stargate . . .

Wasn't too bad either, will be watching again next week.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 8 2008, 11:08 PM) *
What are they called?

Kate Goes. She plays bass with them. I'm not sure exactly what genre you'd put them in but its good to hear something unusual. They were the featured band of the week on 6Music earlier on this year.
Sostie
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 9 2008, 09:05 AM) *
Kate Goes. She plays bass with them. I'm not sure exactly what genre you'd put them in but its good to hear something unusual. They were the featured band of the week on 6Music earlier on this year.

I shall check them out when I get home tonight and see if they get the Sostie Seal Of Approval.

When I first heard the theme I thought it was Helen Love on a bad day.
Jubei
Silent witness last night was about as ridiculous as it gets. And I'm glad that annoying student girl got her throat cut, wierdo. Last weeks was very good though, if seemingly a bit exagerated.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 9 2008, 10:16 AM) *
I shall check them out when I get home tonight and see if they get the Sostie Seal Of Approval.

When I first heard the theme I thought it was Helen Love on a bad day.

They're very much a live band. Each gig has a theme, which is where the Kate Goes come from. So far I have seen Kate Goes to the Beach, Kate Goes through the looking glass (which was a really cool gig with loads of clips of different versions of Alice in Wonderland projected onto the back of the stage) and another one that I can't remember now. Not sure if they'll be your cup of tea but I think they have a myspace page with some music on it.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 9 2008, 09:05 AM) *

Oh yeah, I like them. Heard a live version of Heartbeat on 6Music a couple weeks ago and looked them up. Good stuff.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Oct 9 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Oh yeah, I like them. Heard a live version of Heartbeat on 6Music a couple weeks ago and looked them up. Good stuff.

That's my favourite song of theirs. Susie plays the squeaky dog toy on that as there's no bass in it. It's such a lovely tune though and the lyrics are silly but really sweet.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 9 2008, 04:03 PM) *
That's my favourite song of theirs. Susie plays the squeaky dog toy on that as there's no bass in it. It's such a lovely tune though and the lyrics are silly but really sweet.

It is a lovely track.

Their MySpace page is here for anyone wishing to check them out: Kate Goes
grumpygit
Something for the Weekend
Sun 12 Oct, 10:00 am - 11:30 am BBC 2
Live recipes, the best of the week's TV and celebrity chat to set up your Sunday. Tim Lovejoy, Amanda Hamilton and chef Simon Rimmer are joined by comedian Bill Bailey.
Sostie
Stephen Fry and Josie Long on Buzzcocks was double lovely.
Shack
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 9 2008, 08:31 PM) *

Super was.

I then flicked over to Channel Four. At first I thought the programme about narcolepsy might be a good giggle, but it was very life affirming. Damn Channel Four.

At least 8 out of 10 cats perked me back up. Sean Lock rules ok.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 9 2008, 09:31 PM) *

Yeah it was, but you can't help but feel it is the death knell for Buzzcocks as we know it. Amstell looks more and more nervous as time goes on. That Frankie person was cute though (and far too young for me).
Rua
Ballicks.

I checked & because it was on rather late over here that being 11.40pm (there was a programme on about the Civil Rights marches here in '68 which usurped it) I assumed it was a repeat.

Bum.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 10 2008, 09:37 AM) *
That Frankie person was cute though (and far too young for me).

Right on both counts. S Club Juniors ahoy! Her realising - twice - that she'd seen Dominic Cooper in recent movies made me giggle lots. Other highlights were Josie asking if Stephen would "consider adopting some or all" of the other guests, and Amstell's description of Cooper as looking like he's always on the hunt for sex... it's true though, isn't it? Something about the eyes.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Oct 10 2008, 09:48 AM) *
Right on both counts. S Club Juniors ahoy! Her realising - twice - that she'd seen Dominic Cooper in recent movies made me giggle lots. Other highlights were Josie asking if Stephen would "consider adopting some or all" of the other guests, and Amstell's description of Cooper as looking like he's always on the hunt for sex... it's true though, isn't it? Something about the eyes.

You can't Google images of her now without feeling really perverse.

He has sex in his eyes, but does he have the answers in his mouth?
grumpygit
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 9 2008, 09:31 PM) *

It was, and it's on again tonight BBC2 9.40pm.

Speaking of Stephen Fry, new series:
Stephen Fry in America
Sunday 12th Oct 2008 21:00 BBC One

In this six-part series he travels, mostly in a London cab, through all 50 states of the country that he could have nearly called home and which has always fascinated him.

In this first episode, he explores the states that make up New England, before heading south to the nation's capital and ending up at the civil war battlefield of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania.

Presidential hopefuls in New Hampshire, witches in Salem, nuclear submariners in Connecticut, deer hunters, small time mobsters in NYC, socialites in Rhode Island, lobster fishermen in Maine, ice cream blenders in Vermont and card washers in New Jersey - Stephen meets them all as he takes the road through the autumn colours to uncover what really makes America tick.
Shack
If loving X Factor is wrong, I'm not sure I want to be right.

I thought Daniel or Scott should have gone. They were god awful. I also think Austin is a poor mans Matt from Busted.

Current favourites are Rachel, Laura and JLS.

NOTE - On first write I wrote JLC. Thank god he's not on.
Atara
Whoever the girl who sang last was makes me want to destroy my one working ear. I hate when people make noises and go to all different levels and think it is good singing, it sounds bloody awful.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Shack @ Oct 11 2008, 11:03 PM) *
If loving X Factor is wrong, I'm not sure I want to be right.

I thought Daniel or Scott should have gone. They were god awful. I also think Austin is a poor mans Matt from Busted.

Current favourites are Rachel, Laura and JLS.

NOTE - On first write I wrote JLC. Thank god he's not on.

Who's been kicked off then?
The vmen were pretty universally shite this week.
PrincessKate
I cannot believe they pulled Paul McCartney for this new Peter Kay venture...
EDIT: And Ricky Wilson.
And Rick Astley!!
Oh dear, a bit in love with Teh Astley, now...
logger
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Oct 12 2008, 08:56 PM) *
And Rick Astley!!
Oh dear, a bit in love with Teh Astley, now...

Me too.
Twinkle
Men to Boys had me in stitches. I've missed Peter Kay, time to dig out the Phoenix Nights VD's I think.
Starscream`s Ghost
Stephen Fry is ace. He really, truly is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.