Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coming Soon!
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Jimmay
In answer to Drifter's question, apparently his heart is replaced by a mechanical one and he has to keep on electrocuting himself to keep it going.

Makes sense really.
Sostie
And I assume he survives the fall in the first film because the car breaks his fall.

I'd love to see a series of Crank films where he dies (or seems to) at the end of each film. He is always doomed from the beginning. It would be in keeping with the almost computer game feel of the film.
Jubei
Bloody Narnia chronicles, what about The Magicians Nephew and A Horse and His Boy? Why make books 2 and 4 into films and ignore 1 and 3? Especially when A Horse and His Boy is one of the best of the lot. In fact, Prince Caspian is quite dull by comparison, bugger all really happens.
Drifter
Verbinski helming big screen 'BioShock'

Bioshock

Could be promising.
Raven
'Donnie Darko' sequel in the works.
melzilla
Hmm. Sounds like a jump on the bandwagon to me. Could be good, though.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Raven @ May 9 2008, 05:46 PM)

Why?!
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 9 2008, 09:54 AM)
I tried to like the first Narnia film; I didn't mind the book growing up, but the film was just...meh.

I don't think it helped that Tilda Swinton was terribly miscast as the Witch. Not her fault, and she didn't do a bad job, it just didn't work well, imho.

I'm coping with the Narnia films thus far, although I agree that Caspian isn't one of the most exciting. It's mainly because it was the second one written. If you look at them in order of writing they get better and more daring in their scope as they go on.

I'm a bit intrigued/concerned that Tilda Swinton is listed in the cast for Caspian. The White Witch isn't in Prince Caspian.
maian
QUOTE (Drifter @ May 9 2008, 02:33 PM)
Verbinski helming big screen 'BioShock'

Bioshock

Could be promising.

Hmm, on the one hand, Bioshock is one of the most interesting games I've seen in a while and one that has an interesting story to it. On the other, Verbinski's not a great director and unless they get a decent writer on board it'll just be another shit video game adaptation.

QUOTE (Raven @ May 9 2008, 05:46 PM)

My exact response to this was ''What the fuck?''

QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ May 9 2008, 06:36 PM)
I'm a bit intrigued/concerned that Tilda Swinton is listed in the cast for Caspian. The White Witch isn't in Prince Caspian.

Maybe she's just used in archive footage to explain what is going on to people who didn't see the first film.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (maian @ May 9 2008, 07:32 PM)
Hmm, on the one hand, Bioshock is one of the most interesting games I've seen in a while and one that has an interesting story to it. On the other, Verbinski's not a great director and unless they get a decent writer on board it'll just be another shit video game adaptation.

I actually think Gore Verbinski is a pretty good director with a great eye for interesting visuals, but certainly it relies on the script. Naysayers they may have, but I enjoyed The Mexican and his remake of The Ring, and while the Pirates films went off the rails somewhat, it was more the over-muddling of the plot and characters than lack of technical expertise.

Maybe I'm just a huge apologist because I fucking love Mousehunt. biggrin.gif
maian
I just think he can't really construct a film. I've always got a sense that while he has a good eye he can't really tell a story and that other factors, be they script, effects or performances, are what carry his films more than his own abilities.

Mousehunt is pretty good, mind.
dolfyn
QUOTE (Raven @ May 10 2008, 02:46 AM)

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ May 10 2008, 02:50 AM)
Why?!

QUOTE (maian @ May 10 2008, 04:32 AM)
My exact response to this was ''What the fuck?''

Maybe the first film was actually a dream within a dream.
Or maybe they're just trying to cash in, yet again, on a good self-contained film by making an inferior sequel. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ May 10 2008, 03:36 AM)
I'm coping with the Narnia films thus far, although I agree that Caspian isn't one of the most exciting. It's mainly because it was the second one written. If you look at them in order of writing they get better and more daring in their scope as they go on.

QUOTE (maian @ May 10 2008, 04:32 AM)
Maybe she's just used in archive footage to explain what is going on to people who didn't see the first film.

They should've made The Magician's Nephew, then. It annoys me that they're plonking the White Witch into a story that she wasn't in (because she DIED!). mad.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
Jubei
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ May 9 2008, 06:36 PM)

She almost is, but yes, she never actually makes it into the story in person. And she didn't die as such in Narnia did she? Isn't she in the Silver Chair? Or is that someone else?

Actually Wikipedia says she isn't explicitly described as the same person, but could be. It also says she will appear in Prince Caspian as an apparition from beyond the grave. Unecassary I think.
gulfcoast_highwayman
The Silver Chair keeps Prince Rilian captive. He is being trapped by 'The Lady Of The Green Kirtle. She is sometimes referred to as being The White Witch, although this is very rare and mostly thought incorrect. There is also talk of her being of the same race as the White Witch, but again this is not really explored. The happenings in The Magicians Nephew seem to make any connection unlikely.
rabbit57i

Josh Brolin As George Bush

maian
Benicio = awesome

Brolin = fucking terrifying
Jon 79
Point Break sequel!!

Awesome.
logger
I hope Kathryn Bigelow directs it.
Jon 79
QUOTE (logger @ May 14 2008, 12:59 PM)
I hope Kathryn Bigelow directs it.

I doubt she will, but it is written by the original guy.
maian
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted already (unless it has), but the trailer for X-Files: I Want To Believe They Gave It A Better Sub-Title is now online.

Linky
dolfyn
^ Hmm. I dunno. I lost interest in The X-Files when Mulder disappeared. mellow.gif And it just won't be the same without the "black-lunged son-of-a-bitch"! happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
Zoe
Oh come on, you're not a little curious?
dolfyn
^ I'll probably go & see it, but my feeling is pretty much "meh". mellow.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
rabbit57i
The Best of Bond at The Barbican
Jubei
QUOTE (maian @ May 14 2008, 10:47 PM)
X-Files: I Want To Believe They Gave It A Better Sub-Title

But that's his poster isn't it? Although that doesn't automatically make it a good title.
maian
It is his poster, yes, but I still think it's a pretty poor title, particularly if they intend it to be a standalone film, rather than linked into all the mythos of the series.
maian
Double post.

Herzog and Lynch to make a film together
Ade
Baghead

Wouldn't mind seeing that, actually.
rabbit57i
St. Trinian's 2
Starscream`s Ghost
DC Direct's Watchmen Line-Up

Ok, I have to have the Rorschach figure for sure, and possibly Doc M, but I'm re-ee-ee-ally not sure about this:

Moulded nipples were ridiculed on Batman and Robin, I'm really hoping that this pic isn't representative of how Silk Spectre will be in the movie.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 20 2008, 12:10 PM)
Moulded nipples were ridiculed on Batman and Robin, I'm really hoping that this pic isn't representative of how Silk Spectre will be in the movie.

Are they not just her actual nipples poking through her costume?
Starscream`s Ghost
It's hard to tell. It's actually a little creepier if that's the case. I mean, if it happens in the real world, that's one thing, but to develop an action figure with sticky-out nipples...? Odd.
ipse dixit
Indeed. Odd.
thirtyhelens
They are really playing it coy w/ Dr. Manhattan, aren't they? (And why wouldn't you? Unveiling a 100-foot tall naked blue Billy Crudup is worthy of some buildup and subsequent fanfare in my book. tongue.gif)

Extra pleased that I'll be at ComicCon now. Le squee.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Anyone reckon Crudup will be looking for the make up artist from 'Boogie Nights'?

Although, he can just say 'look at my skin tone. Do you think this is a warm colour?'
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ May 20 2008, 05:36 PM)
They are really playing it coy w/ Dr. Manhattan, aren't they?

Yeah, I'm very excited but also trepidationous. Will they show his penis?
maian
I'm guessing it'll always be obscured by other characters' heads, architecture, Martian rocks etc. I know they're going for an R rating, but they'd really struggle to get away with showing his blue schlong.
thirtyhelens
Hey, they got away with Jason Segel's wang in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Yeah, I know.
dolfyn
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 20 2008, 09:10 PM)
DC Direct's Watchmen Line-Up

Ok, I have to have the Rorschach figure for sure, and possibly Doc M, but I'm re-ee-ee-ally not sure about this:

Yes, the nipples are OTT, but I also think the suspender-boots are awful. wacko.gif
Nothing like a tacky, hooker-esque costume to give a female superhero some cred. rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (dolfyn @ May 21 2008, 07:18 AM)
Yes, the nipples are OTT, but I also think the suspender-boots are awful.  wacko.gif
Nothing like a tacky, hooker-esque costume to give a female superhero some cred.  rolleyes.gif

It's been a while since I read Watchmen, but that's sort of the point of the character, isn't it? Her mum basically became a 'superhero' to further her career as a celebrity and pin-up, and pressured Laurie into doing the same when she got too old.
Jubei
Pretty much, and she didn't have a rubber costume or anything, so no moulded nipples.

empathy-with-beast
And as you can see from this promotional photograph, the Watchmen film is going to be shit.
Starscream`s Ghost
Breck Eisner to Direct Flash Gordon

There's not enough 'meh' in the world.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 21 2008, 09:54 AM)
And as you can see from this promotional photograph, the Watchmen film is going to be shit.

What about the photo makes you think that? I'm reserving all judgement until the credits roll, but I was wondering if you had some profound yet amusing insight. And with some allusion to a past sexual encounter.
Sostie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 21 2008, 12:48 PM)
Breck Eisner to Direct Flash Gordon

There's not enough 'meh' in the world.

He likes his remakes (OK so Flash Gordon is not quite a remake). IMDB has him down as also doing The Crazies and Creature From The Black Lagoon.

I quite liked Sahara.
Starscream`s Ghost
No problem with Eisner, I just can't see how this film is going to excite.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 21 2008, 01:38 PM)
What about the photo makes you think that? I'm reserving all judgement until the credits roll, but I was wondering if you had some profound yet amusing insight. And with some allusion to a past sexual encounter.

Well the thing about all the Watchmen is that they're meant to be looking all flawed and slightly worn out by this point in time. The point made about her dressing as a pin up is well made, but she shouldn't look so perfect whilst she does it. She should look slightly worn like Geri Halliwell. The whole thing looks like just another superhero film, if the fallible nature of these people isn't right at the centre of the film, if it isn't incorporated into the design at a deep level, then the whole film is going to fall on its arse.

It's could be a perfectly fine super hero movie, but if its not going to cleave to its source material better than this then they might as well push on and make the Justice League movie where there isn't such delicate source materials to deal with.

It's the same as V for Vendetta. The comic book is about how anarchy is about is better than fascism and lays the blame for injustice at the feet of the general population. The film is about a freedom fighter and portrays a population that have been tricked by an incredibly clever ruse by the facists into voting for them and who are really itching for freedom, justice etc. One of these ideas is clever, and hard to work with,the other facile and easy to swallow. Because of this the film will never be great and critics will continue to use the phrase "comic book movie" to describe something bubble gum and throwaway.

These are literally incredible works that they're dealing with, the best examples of a whole art form, so seminal they forced people to take the form seriously, but movies based on them keep on being made that conform to the conventions they broke.
Starscream`s Ghost
To be fair, and I think it's been said already, the timeframe for those shots hasn't been specified; they could be from the start of the film, in their heyday, before they all start to look worn and tired.
empathy-with-beast
Could be, but then I think there'd be something in them that indicated it was the past. The worn out thing is so important, so central to what makes this a different sort of superhero film, that I'd be worried if that drum wasn't being banged in every bit of promotion.

I don't mean to be a Moore fanatic about all this but I do have to call it as I see it.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ May 21 2008, 02:15 PM)
I don't mean to be a Moore fanatic about all this but I do have to call it as I see it.

No, I think you're right to be - the whole notion of ennui and the fact that they don't have any powers to speak of (apart from Manhattan, and they're more of a curse than a blessing) is the main thrust of the story and what makes it different.

Otherwise, as you say, they may as well just make the JLA movie and be done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.